Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 1399 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Bodoro

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
My ranking now would be
Agravity Boys: Still my favorite to read right now, and I will be really sad to see this one go if it does get axed. The characters are great, and it's so fun to read every week for me as it a pretty chill series. Like I mean there was a whole chapter of characters just watching a TV show lol, and I really liked that one so honestly that shows how great the characters are imo.

Chainsaw Man: Things are getting crazy in this, and honestly have no idea what will happen next which is really fun. This one I am never bored in.

Undead Unluck: This has been great since chapter 1 for me, and I'm happy to see it growing. I really like the fast pacing and the characters are really awesome here too. I'm really interested in what the story has to offer next, and I hope it gets really big.

Mashle: I didn't really care for the manga until Lance introduction chapter, but ever since then the manga has been really good. The comedy and action are great, and the art in the fights are top tier.

Highschool Family: Only 4 chapters right now and it's hilarious. The cast is great and the dad is legendary.

Yozakura Family: I usually save reading this until there are 3-4 chapters out, but I think this is a pretty fun read. Wish they focused more on the other members of the family, but whatever. Taiyo is a pretty cool MC.

Ayakashi Triangle: This a pretty relaxing read not gonna lie. The latest action was pretty good as well. It's pretty funny, and ever since Soga has been introduced it's been getting funnier and more enjoyable.

Jujutsu Kaisen: Last time I put this at the bottom because this arc was really boring to read weekly for me and I didn't care but it has been a lot better recently, and I actually am interested what will happen again. I probably wouldn't have minded reading this weekly before, but I binged to catchup right before this arc started so its been eh. Might reread this arc when it is done, and I am hyped for the anime.

Moriking: This used to be pretty high up, but recently it hasn't been as good as it used to be for me. Still a fun read, and Moriking is still the legend.

Blood Oath: A lot of people don't like it and it's pretty early right now for me to say but I thought the first 2 chapters were pretty good. Idk if it will continue to be a good read, but right now I would say it is a good series.

Phantom Seer: Chapter 4 was really good. I would say the first 3 chapters have been meh, but chapter 4 was like actually great. I said I was meh with it before but now I am interested so hopefully it holds my interest as I like the 2 main characters.

Cop and Dolphin: If I said Moriking took a fall, this one took a bigger fall. I think I prefer the comedy more than the action. Still like it though, but hope it goes back to comedy.

Magu Chan: I caught up to this one, and I think its okay. Probably my least favorite but sometimes it is pretty boring to read and sometimes it can be fun to read, but the other comedies I read I enjoy more.

This is how I much I enjoy the magazine right now, but I don't dislike any of these. Like compared to Zipman, Guardian, and Bone Collection which are ones I am not a fan of, these ones are all fun. I also haven't read Roboco, and I don't read the older series because I watch their anime.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
JJK's first episode was great. To no surprise it was very well animated and the new PV looks fantastic.

Also with the topic of delinquent series, I would like to see Kawada or Shimabu make an attempt.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Cute and based opinion, thought I struggle to see why you didn't lump black clover together with them. One Piece is pure noise for me too ever since timeskip.
On an another note, JJK would be in the same category of noise if the author was a coward who played its safe. Mahito is a million time more evil and interesting than Shiggy.

And arguing about saturation of genre in WSJ is dumb. You are not mandated to read everything in WSJ. You are a person of free will, whose reading decision is totally up to you. If you sick of too much comedy in Jump, just don't read them. There are plenty of manga and magazine out there, which some ought to become your next favourites. It's more beneficial to find interesting thing to read than obligingly reading stuff you dislike. This sounds extremely hypocrite coming from the guy who just wrote a paragraph complaining about WSJ manga.
Black Clover is so borderline self aware of the fact that it's just loud noise that it works. It never strives to be anything other than a big loud generic battle shonen for kids.

My Hero Academia acts like it's some deep complex work when it really isn't. Horikoshi isn't a very ambitious thinker yet desperately tries to reach heights greater than his level of talent. Often feels obnoxious to me, made even worse that the fights aren't even fun to read (imo).
Dr. Stone meanwhile doesn't necessarily take itsel all that seriously it has always kind of felt like pseudo intellectual bullshit. It thinks it's far smarter than it is, and personally I don't find it fun to read either. Don't like the characters, comedy, or action. Just find it chaotic and dumb. Also feel like the series doesn't know what age demographic it wants to be geared for.

AbrahamOmosun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
First episode of JJK was very nice. I especially liked the monster designs and the fact that they were 2d. I assumed they would use cgi for the large ones, glad to be proven wrong. Also liked that scene where Megumi was running in the 3d background with his wolves.

From the PV, the fight between Gojo and Sukuna is shaping up to be a good one . This is the first anime I'm watching that I've read the source material first so fingers crossed it doesn't disappoint.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
My Hero Academia acts like it's some deep complex work when it really isn't. Horikoshi isn't a very ambitious thinker yet desperately tries to reach heights greater than his level of talent. Often feels obnoxious to me, made even worse that the fights aren't even fun to read (imo).
Just because MHA has some more calm moments where people talk than other series in the mag doesn't mean that the series is pretending to be deep and complex. It is pretty straight-forward and it seems very much intended this way.

Rica_Patin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just because MHA has some more calm moments where people talk than other series in the mag doesn't mean that the series is pretending to be deep and complex. It is pretty straight-forward and it seems very much intended this way.
I never said I was talking about the calm moments. If anything the series is better during those chapters.

Teennitro

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Black Clover is so borderline self aware of the fact that it's just loud noise that it works. It never strives to be anything other than a big loud generic battle shonen for kids.

Dr. Stone meanwhile doesn't necessarily take itsel all that seriously it has always kind of felt like pseudo intellectual bullshit. It thinks it's far smarter than it is, and personally I don't find it fun to read either. Don't like the characters, comedy, or action. Just find it chaotic and dumb. Also feel like the series doesn't know what age demographic it wants to be geared for.
What? Your criticism against these manga are too vague

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States

What part of MHA is trying to be “to deep”.

Discomusic

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Also, now that the new batch has been fully debuted, how would you guys rank them alongside the entire magazine at the moment? Based purely on current enjoyment of the series at this point in time. Not overall.
Rankings, yay! I love those!
This was my ranking last month when we were asked the same question:

1. Hard-Boiled Cop & Dolphin
2. One Piece
3. Undead x Unluck
4. Black Clover
5. Chainsaw Man
6. Moriking
7. Magu-Chan: God of Desctruction
8. Mashle
9. Time Paradox Ghostwriter
10. Me & Roboco

11. Bone Collection
12. Ayakashi Triangle

Now for the update:

1. Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin: Still my strange, favourite series. When I started to question its sense of direction, it gave me an arc that points right through it and in fact it was generally well received. From the grown-up protagonist, to the ocean setting, to the weirdness that you have to take seriously... it gives me a feeling of being unique on the roster and that by itself is a quality in these days. It is painful to have to wait until November to know if it is going to sell and survive.
2. Undead Unluck: I like its complexity, the unique world setting and the fact that it always catches you off guard while remaining in its context, like the last two chapters shown. When it comes to character development it's also capable to hold its ground. It's winning prizes, growing its sales, climbing the ToC and I think it has more probability than Mashle to become the future pillar coming from 2020. It is still in search for its Grand Arc that can put it on the map with the bigs.
3. Jujutsu Kaisen (N): First of the series that I binged during this month. A cool, fast-paced battle shonen where the exorcist theme is played right. While this current arc needs to get to a closure, it is also full of major fights and is feeling that everything will have consequences. I am going to watch the first episodes of the anime!
4. One Piece: Still enjoyable and all, I also liked the developments of the most recent chapters. But now the hype for the anticipated last arc is starting to surpass the interest for the climax if this one. I want to know everything right now!
5. Black Clover: There's a thought that occurred me while I was reading this week's chapter: somehow, in the middle of a roster filled with gags and exorcists, this veteran, fantasy battle shonen sticks off as...original. Like, there's only one manga of this kind of Jump and I want more. That by itself is a reason, at least for me, to rank it among the most enjoyable Jump mangas of today.
6. Chainsaw Man: the main characteristic of this manga is unpredictability. This is what makes it one of the most original artworks ever published by Jump, but at the same time it can be unnerving how difficult it is to hope for some linear development and get more randomness in return. It will never become one of my favourites, but I appreciate what it is trying to do and its possible future historical importance.
7. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: Its chapters are kind of hit or miss, for example this week was good and last week was bad (for my tastes of course). Overall, I like that instead of throwing one random gag after another is trying to create a charming atmosphere, and I hope it will be able to survive a little bit more. Followers, your God Magu-chan is in need for more offerings!
8. Mission: Yozakura Family (N): Another recent binge, when it does episodic comedy is sometimes good and sometimes boring, and when it does serious action can get really good (and the brother works better in this context). Overall, I like hanging out with the Yozakura family, but it hasn't left me a strong impression.
9. My Hero Academia (N): My current binge, I am still at chapter 180 (hence the italics). At certain points it feels too much like a standard Shonen Jump battle shonen, and seems forced to repeat the genre tropes wothout much efforts: at certain others, it plays them very well and is surely able to build for a satisfying climax. Since you are all praising the latest chapters, I can't wait to get to them.
10. Mashle: At a certain point I started to like the serious turn to battle shonen. Then, as it kept on, I started to question their execution (like, what were they fighting for exactly? Is it a good enough reason to fight like your life is at stake?) and I hoped for a return of its comedic side, that actually happened. While it's certainly a succesful title right now, I don't know if this continuous genre shift will be good for the series in the long term.
11. Me & Roboco: Sometimes it's boring from beginning to end, other times has a couple of funny jokes, other times it's funny from beginning to end. Still baffled that it seems the best received of the summer batch.
12. Our blood oath (N): Yep. it's bad, as most of you have already stated and argumented. But it's still 2 chapters old, so I want to give it the benefit of a doubt and see what direction it will take. I just hope it won't take another different direction for the third time in three chapters.
13. High school family (N): Many of you are really enjoying this, but it still hasn't clicked on me yet. Last chapter was funny, I'll give you that. Judgment is still in suspension for this one.
14. Moriking: That's a really sad fall. I think I am starting to lose interest to the formula, and the lack of Shoko is disappointing (the funniest chapter in most recent times was the visit of the grandpa, that actually acted like a second Shoko). I can't even say that I hope it will return to its old fasts because the last chapters seems the building for the final arc. Maybe it was really destined to shine at summer and die at fall, like the protagonist.
15. Phantom Seer (N): While the single chapter can sometimes be mildly interesting, the overall sensation is "I have already seen everything you are throwing at me". This is also new, but I feel like it's already clear what direction it wants to take, and unfortunately it's not a direction I'm interested with.
16. Ayakashi Triangle: I admit it has improved and it doesn't necessarily deserve the last place. Recently there have been good new characters, nice character development and plot points to look forward to, but the amount of ecchi is still not meeting my tastes. I will admit it can improve with my rankings one day.

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
Cute and based opinion, thought I struggle to see why you didn't lump black clover together with them. One Piece is pure noise for me too ever since timeskip.
On an another note, JJK would be in the same category of noise if the author was a coward who played its safe. Mahito is a million time more evil and interesting than Shiggy.

And arguing about saturation of genre in WSJ is dumb. You are not mandated to read everything in WSJ. You are a person of free will, whose reading decision is totally up to you. If you sick of too much comedy in Jump, just don't read them. There are plenty of manga and magazine out there, which some ought to become your next favourites. It's more beneficial to find interesting thing to read than obligingly reading stuff you dislike. This sounds extremely hypocrite coming from the guy who just wrote a paragraph complaining about WSJ manga.
What does he mean by loud noise anyway

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Reaction score
Country
United States
What does he mean by loud noise anyway
Think of it like Charlie Brown, where the adults just sound like literal noises instead of actually being decipherable.

It's another way of saying that a series has dialogue that you're not interested in personally. Nothing they're saying resonates with you, so you don't really care about what they're saying.

Ebrietas-

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
I hard disagree that CSM's story is "random"

Just completed a reread last week and it was clear that Fujimoto knew exactly what he was doing from very early on. There is an insane amount of foreshadowing for even the insanity going on in the last few chapters. The manga just moves between plot points really really fast and Fujimoto likes to go extreme with "show don't tell"

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
I hard disagree that CSM's story is "random"

Just completed a reread last week and it was clear that Fujimoto knew exactly what he was doing from very early on. There is an insane amount of foreshadowing for even the insanity going on in the last few chapters. The manga just moves between plot points really really fast and Fujimoto likes to go extreme with "show don't tell"
I hard agree with this statment. It also kind reminded me that One Piece is all tell don't show 😏

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Rankings, yay! I love those!
This was my ranking last month when we were asked the same question:

1. Hard-Boiled Cop & Dolphin
2. One Piece
3. Undead x Unluck
4. Black Clover
5. Chainsaw Man
6. Moriking
7. Magu-Chan: God of Desctruction
8. Mashle
9. Time Paradox Ghostwriter
10. Me & Roboco
11. Bone Collection
12. Ayakashi Triangle

Now for the update:

1. Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin: Still my strange, favourite series. When I started to question its sense of direction, it gave me an arc that points right through it and in fact it was generally well received. From the grown-up protagonist, to the ocean setting, to the weirdness that you have to take seriously... it gives me a feeling of being unique on the roster and that by itself is a quality in these days. It is painful to have to wait until November to know if it is going to sell and survive.
2. Undead Unluck: I like its complexity, the unique world setting and the fact that it always catches you off guard while remaining in its context, like the last two chapters shown. When it comes to character development it's also capable to hold its ground. It's winning prizes, growing its sales, climbing the ToC and I think it has more probability than Mashle to become the future pillar coming from 2020. It is still in search for its Grand Arc that can put it on the map with the bigs.
3. Jujutsu Kaisen (N): First of the series that I binged during this month. A cool, fast-paced battle shonen where the exorcist theme is played right. While this current arc needs to get to a closure, it is also full of major fights and is feeling that everything will have consequences. I am going to watch the first episodes of the anime!
4. One Piece: Still enjoyable and all, I also liked the developments of the most recent chapters. But now the hype for the anticipated last arc is starting to surpass the interest for the climax if this one. I want to know everything right now!
5. Black Clover: There's a thought that occurred me while I was reading this week's chapter: somehow, in the middle of a roster filled with gags and exorcists, this veteran, fantasy battle shonen sticks off as...original. Like, there's only one manga of this kind of Jump and I want more. That by itself is a reason, at least for me, to rank it among the most enjoyable Jump mangas of today.
6. Chainsaw Man: the main characteristic of this manga is unpredictability. This is what makes it one of the most original artworks ever published by Jump, but at the same time it can be unnerving how difficult it is to hope for some linear development and get more randomness in return. It will never become one of my favourites, but I appreciate what it is trying to do and its possible future historical importance.
7. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: Its chapters are kind of hit or miss, for example this week was good and last week was bad (for my tastes of course). Overall, I like that instead of throwing one random gag after another is trying to create a charming atmosphere, and I hope it will be able to survive a little bit more. Followers, your God Magu-chan is in need for more offerings!
8. Mission: Yozakura Family (N): Another recent binge, when it does episodic comedy is sometimes good and sometimes boring, and when it does serious action can get really good (and the brother works better in this context). Overall, I like hanging out with the Yozakura family, but it hasn't left me a strong impression.
9. My Hero Academia (N): My current binge, I am still at chapter 180 (hence the italics). At certain points it feels too much like a standard Shonen Jump battle shonen, and seems forced to repeat the genre tropes wothout much efforts: at certain others, it plays them very well and is surely able to build for a satisfying climax. Since you are all praising the latest chapters, I can't wait to get to them.
10. Mashle: At a certain point I started to like the serious turn to battle shonen. Then, as it kept on, I started to question their execution (like, what were they fighting for exactly? Is it a good enough reason to fight like your life is at stake?) and I hoped for a return of its comedic side, that actually happened. While it's certainly a succesful title right now, I don't know if this continuous genre shift will be good for the series in the long term.
11. Me & Roboco: Sometimes it's boring from beginning to end, other times has a couple of funny jokes, other times it's funny from beginning to end. Still baffled that it seems the best received of the summer batch.
12. Our blood oath (N): Yep. it's bad, as most of you have already stated and argumented. But it's still 2 chapters old, so I want to give it the benefit of a doubt and see what direction it will take. I just hope it won't take another different direction for the third time in three chapters.
13. High school family (N): Many of you are really enjoying this, but it still hasn't clicked on me yet. Last chapter was funny, I'll give you that. Judgment is still in suspension for this one.
14. Moriking: That's a really sad fall. I think I am starting to lose interest to the formula, and the lack of Shoko is disappointing (the funniest chapter in most recent times was the visit of the grandpa, that actually acted like a second Shoko). I can't even say that I hope it will return to its old fasts because the last chapters seems the building for the final arc. Maybe it was really destined to shine at summer and die at fall, like the protagonist.
15. Phantom Seer (N): While the single chapter can sometimes be mildly interesting, the overall sensation is "I have already seen everything you are throwing at me". This is also new, but I feel like it's already clear what direction it wants to take, and unfortunately it's not a direction I'm interested with.
16. Ayakashi Triangle: I admit it has improved and it doesn't necessarily deserve the last place. Recently there have been good new characters, nice character development and plot points to look forward to, but the amount of ecchi is still not meeting my tastes. I will admit it can improve with my rankings one day.
At least, I'm sure that Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin will survive for about 4 or 5 volumes, first because Tamura is a veteran mangaka in the jump and had Beelzebub as a success.
And another one that jump gets lighter with comedies come from Mitama and now with agravity.
So Tamura will have time to make this story more interesting.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
It wouldn't surprise me if everything from the previous batch went past ch 30. I think we may be in for another Beast Children/Double Taisei/Shinobi Squad era where a bunch of series survive months longer than they probably should due to not needing them to end yet.

Even if we get 4 new series in late Nov-Dec in WNL's ending batch, nothing newer than Moriking would be at risk unless it or Agravity Boys gets a sudden popularity boost (or if Magu or something else new goes perma-last place below even those two). Heck, I could see even Agravity Boys managing to scrape by and last into 2021 if they just have 2 new series.

Come early February though I think we'll see a bunch of newbies end together.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Speaking of series ending, does anyone else get the feeling that Moriking might be setting up for a final arc with the latest chapter?

Unless Jump decides to randomly PHEONIX Hasegawa again it seems like the #1 current candidate for cancellation, and now's a good time for it to start up final stuff if it wants to wrap up everything as best as it can, assuming the next batch comes after the GFC is done.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah the writings on the wall for Moriking, I feel like it might end sooner than even Agravity at this point, since that series hasn't seemed interested in having any ending flags in a while.

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
It wouldn't surprise me if everything from the previous batch went past ch 30. I think we may be in for another Beast Children/Double Taisei/Shinobi Squad era where a bunch of series survive months longer than they probably should due to not needing them to end yet.

Even if we get 4 new series in late Nov-Dec in WNL's ending batch, nothing newer than Moriking would be at risk unless it or Agravity Boys gets a sudden popularity boost (or if Magu or something else new goes perma-last place below even those two). Heck, I could see even Agravity Boys managing to scrape by and last into 2021 if they just have 2 new series.

Come early February though I think we'll see a bunch of newbies end together.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Speaking of series ending, does anyone else get the feeling that Moriking might be setting up for a final arc with the latest chapter?

Unless Jump decides to randomly PHEONIX Hasegawa again it seems like the #1 current candidate for cancellation, and now's a good time for it to start up final stuff if it wants to wrap up everything as best as it can, assuming the next batch comes after the GFC is done.
Moriking is absolutely building up to its conclusion. From the beginning it was told that the story takes place only over the course of a few months and there were a set number of 'candidates' to expect. With that clear timeframe and goalpost character introductions in mind I've always wondered how it would continue to run for multiple years if it did end up a success, unless it contracted its initial set-up. The benefit of establishing those limits early on might actually be a benefit to the series when it does get cancelled, since it would feel less rushed. If we were promised 5 things to happen and all 5 did happen then hopefully it feels like a completed series even if it ends before chapter 30.

Whether Agravity Boys will follow it out the door comes down to how many new series are in the next batch and if Magu-chan proves to have worse TOC rankings in the coming weeks. Either could play in its favour but it's definitely not in a good spot.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Bokura can finish before and save Moriking, but the problem will be the manga that will start after that, if it is another comedy it will be of no use.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Do we have the translation for this week's one-shot from GFC?
Sorry if someone already posted it.

Bodoro

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
And another one that jump gets lighter with comedies come from Mitama and now with agravity.
I don't think Jump is light with comedies.

If Agravity had bad sales like Zipman levels it probably would have been axed by now, and Mitama would be axed earlier if it had bad placements. Moriking was probably in the same situation as Mitama and they probably expected it would sell with those ranks, but now it has bad ranks. Zipman, Guardian, Time Paradox, Bone Collection all had bad sales and bad TOC, while those comedies had something that kept them alive and it's not their genre.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.