Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Still baffles me that the toc leaked way too early. That means some series will get their chapters leaked and with Viz oficial date for this issue, some won't wait to read the chapters officially.
That's what happens in the end of year since forever, nothing new.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Kimetsu is an anomaly. We shouldn't treat other shows badly since they didn't get lucky. Kimetsu just got lucky, not dismissing ufotable or the manga, im just saying.
No such thing as luck. Various factors went in KNY's success.
1. A good source material that gripped people from the start in a non-cringy manner.
2. A good anime adaptation
3. The art is very unique, accessible and easy on the eyes but can also convey emotions quite well. Really helps the story.
4. The main theme of protective brother and the bond with his younger sister. This in itself is a big thing in Japan.
5. WSJ's marketing when it came to the manga volumes itself. The lack of volumes and selling out is a legit strategy that works especially well if said item is already a money maker. WSJ could easily have estimated that they needed to reprint higher copies just based on months Sept and Oct. But they didn't and they keep running out of volumes. I'd legit call it a marketing stunt by them and it's working wonders especially with the 1 person a volume rule at most stores.
And these are just the ones I can think at this moment.

Point is, it's not "luck". Thats like saying AoT or OP or Naruto or even Bleach were all luck. Everything clicked for KNY just like it did for those series.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Still baffles me that the toc leaked way too early. That means some series will get their chapters leaked and with Viz oficial date for this issue, some won't wait to read the chapters officially.
We didn't got a response about it, right? I guess this is due to the holidays, because those people can't just work forever after all.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
in other Jump related new, looks like Bleach and Captain Tsubasa will get the eOneBook treatment (all volumes compact into 1 sd-card reader, read with their special reader), from the news it look like they announced it at Jump Festa, also looks like Bleach will get the English version treatment too.

List of Jump series so far that got this version
Captain Tsubasa
Bleach
Keiji
Gintama
Fist of the North Star (include English)
City Hunter
Naruto (include english)
Death Note
Masakazu Katsura's complete work (I's, Video Girl Ai
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Pretty noticeable drop for My Hero Academia

My Hero Academia #22: 547,062 (21 days)
My Hero Academia #23: 485,480 (18 days)
My Hero Academia #24: 496,745 (17 days)
My Hero Academia #25: 457,350 (19 days)
I'm really sad to see the decline in manga sales. I guess the backlogs aren't enough to keep it stable? It's weird because in other respects, the franchise is doing really well. or at the very least just fine. Eh, who knows? Perhaps the franchise may have really peaked.

KImetsu boost is still unreal and I'm putting my money on us definitely not seeing this kind of growth again in a long time. (SPY x FAMILY might prove me wrong, but I doubt it.) I've actually gotten around to catching up on the Kimetsu anime. Still in the first half of the season, but it's a pretty solid show nonetheless. I really like Tanjiro as a character, and the traditional animation, backgrounds, and especially the music are great. Would elaborate more, but there's a Kimetsu thread for that.
 

therocomotion

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2019
Messages
68
Reaction score
111
Age
36
Country
Spain
Kimetsu no Yaiba definitely didn't grab people from start. The first 2 volumes sold under 20k.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I'm really sad to see the decline in manga sales. I guess the backlogs aren't enough to keep it stable? It's weird because in other respects, the franchise is doing really well. or at the very least just fine. Eh, who knows? Perhaps the franchise may have really peaked.

KImetsu boost is still unreal and I'm putting my money on us definitely not seeing this kind of growth again in a long time. (SPY x FAMILY might prove me wrong, but I doubt it.) I've actually gotten around to catching up on the Kimetsu anime. Still in the first half of the season, but it's a pretty solid show nonetheless. I really like Tanjiro as a character, and the traditional animation, backgrounds, and especially the music are great. Would elaborate more, but there's a Kimetsu thread for that.
Really curious when we get other information about Issue 6/7. Will new series be confirmed?
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
No such thing as luck. Various factors went in KNY's success.
1. A good source material that gripped people from the start in a non-cringy manner.
2. A good anime adaptation
3. The art is very unique, accessible and easy on the eyes but can also convey emotions quite well. Really helps the story.
4. The main theme of protective brother and the bond with his younger sister. This in itself is a big thing in Japan.
5. WSJ's marketing when it came to the manga volumes itself. The lack of volumes and selling out is a legit strategy that works especially well if said item is already a money maker. WSJ could easily have estimated that they needed to reprint higher copies just based on months Sept and Oct. But they didn't and they keep running out of volumes. I'd legit call it a marketing stunt by them and it's working wonders especially with the 1 person a volume rule at most stores.
And these are just the ones I can think at this moment.

Point is, it's not "luck". Thats like saying AoT or OP or Naruto or even Bleach were all luck. Everything clicked for KNY just like it did for those series.
There was a portion of luck involved though. It caught the attention at the right time to become a hype. Of course it wouldn't have snowballed if the material itself couldn't deliver, but the fact that it went viral is something that might not have happened if, say, different people (with less followers) were talking about it, or if a famous movie had been announced around the same time.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Hey guys, sorry to ask this question, but Amazon Prime Videos just entered my country. Can I use my amazon prime video membership to access Comixology?? cause there's a couple of mangas I wanna follow there.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Hey guys, sorry to ask this question, but Amazon Prime Videos just entered my country. Can I use my amazon prime video membership to access Comixology?? cause there's a couple of mangas I wanna follow there.
no,

especially the 6 usd one

also, APV have been in Indonesia for a while now
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
MangaPlus (English + Spanish) is looking quite divided right now.

1-35: most running WSJ series
36-95: Zipman (English), doing a lone, valiant effort to bridge the gap
96-113: the rest of the running WSJ series

I know it's normal for the newer series to be at the bottom, but to have a 60-place gap in a 113-place ranking is still quite extreme.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I keep hearing about episode 19 so much... That Idk, maybe I will just not enjoy it when I actually get to watch it lol, like people keep talking about it...

TBH I'm kinda "salty".. Yeah, I guess salty is the word I would use haha

I have seen KNY up to like episode 9 or 10, and it just... Seems like a normal anime to me lol, nothing out of the ordinary..

Like I could see why One Piece, Naruto, even Bleach had their super huge boost in sales, even for series like Death Note or Attack on Titan which had a very different plot, or something that differentiated from other titles..

Same thing with Full Metal Alchemist, like it not one of my favorites but I can totally see why it was so popular (in fact KNY to me seems like a mix of Inuyasha with FMA)

And I just can't see why KNY got all hyped, if it's just because of the beautiful animation... Well.. cool, I guess..

Not that my opinion matters lol..
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
no,

especially the 6 usd one

also, APV have been in Indonesia for a while now
Yaaaah.... :scry

How long's it's been there over at your place?
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
I keep hearing about episode 19 so much... That Idk, maybe I will just not enjoy it when I actually get to watch it lol, like people keep talking about it...

TBH I'm kinda "salty".. Yeah, I guess salty is the word I would use haha

I have seen KNY up to like episode 9 or 10, and it just... Seems like a normal anime to me lol, nothing out of the ordinary..

Like I could see why One Piece, Naruto, even Bleach had their super huge boost in sales, even for series like Death Note or Attack on Titan which had a very different plot, or something that differentiated from other titles..

Same thing with Full Metal Alchemist, like it not one of my favorites but I can totally see why it was so popular (in fact KNY to me seems like a mix of Inuyasha with FMA)

And I just can't see why KNY got all hyped, if it's just because of the beautiful animation... Well.. cool, I guess..

Not that my opinion matters lol..
I still don't really get the appeal either. Don't worry about it, different tastes and all that.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
No such thing as luck. Various factors went in KNY's success.
1. A good source material that gripped people from the start in a non-cringy manner.
2. A good anime adaptation
3. The art is very unique, accessible and easy on the eyes but can also convey emotions quite well. Really helps the story.
4. The main theme of protective brother and the bond with his younger sister. This in itself is a big thing in Japan.
5. WSJ's marketing when it came to the manga volumes itself. The lack of volumes and selling out is a legit strategy that works especially well if said item is already a money maker. WSJ could easily have estimated that they needed to reprint higher copies just based on months Sept and Oct. But they didn't and they keep running out of volumes. I'd legit call it a marketing stunt by them and it's working wonders especially with the 1 person a volume rule at most stores.
And these are just the ones I can think at this moment.

Point is, it's not "luck". Thats like saying AoT or OP or Naruto or even Bleach were all luck. Everything clicked for KNY just like it did for those series.
I would say it got lucky cuz it was adapted by ufotable, otherwise it wouldn't be this huge
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Since I see this is getting debated, I feel I should weigh in on this. Much of the theorizing comes from Last and First Idol, for reference. Good book, FYI.

Anyway, the appeal of Kimetsu lies in the mainstream acceptance of Otaku culture and the desire from authors born of that culture to actively violate "accepted" ideas in favor of creating works which actively exist both on their inspirations and as themselves. Kimetsu follows much of the mainstream ideals of battle manga as a genre in terms of structure and central appeal, but it derives much through having a protagonist who doesn't follow the Goku model, and is equal parts light-hearted and exceptionally brutal, with many extremely dark backstories and characters directly suffering from permanent injury and death.

Essentially, the series actively survives not on creating its own tropes per say, but by using the active framework provided by authors like Toriyama, Togashi, Watsuki, Oda, Kishimoto, Kubo and others to create a work which is viewed by the subject audience as appealing and well-written. It is a display of how Jump proceeds in the 2010s, through works which garner mass appeal through strength of writing and long term discussion, rather than instantly striking on part of its artwork.

That's my view, anyway.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Yaaaah.... :scry

How long's it's been there over at your place?
over a year, maybe 2,

I'm pretty sure ID got it around the same time, since an acquaintance of my had it over there
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top