Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Buranchi

Chainsaw Fan
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Everyone, please vote for your three favorite WSJ series for this (and every) week HERE.

Check back every Sunday for new polls!

Last edited:

Nav

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #2:
Agravity Boys (Cover & LCP)
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
Haikyu!!
My Hero Academia (CP)
Black Clover
ZIPMAN!! (CP)
ACT-AGE
Dr. STONE
We Never Learn (CP)
Chainsaw Man
Jujutsu Kaisen
The Promised Neverland
Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs
Mitama Security: Spirit Busters
Mission: Yozakura Family
Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru
Tokyo Shinobi Squad (Last Chapter)
Dr. STONE reboot: Byakuya (Spin-Off)
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #3:
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Agravity Boys (25p), Dr. STONE (Important Announcement), Kiraboshi no Meryl (One-Shot by Kawaguchi Yuki)
Extra Pages: Deku & Bakugo: RISING (2 Consecutive One-Shots By Akiyama Yoko - Issue 3 & 4*5 (15p each), ZIPMAN!! (23p), Medal w/ Purple Ribbon Award: Kochikame Short One-Shot (By Akimoto Osamu)

Last edited:

DreamcastDazia

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
England
At this point, I'm starting to think KNY might be #1 next year again lol. It will be #2 at least for sure but the possibility of it being #1 is not a stretch. Also, Jump is getting ready for the boost the panel in Jump Festa might have on JJK (Hope it happens).
Hmmm. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to how sales work in manga and stuff which is why I'm always reading about it here (So I'm sorry if what I'm about to say sounds like nonsense) but I would agree that Demon Slayer has a chance to be No1 next year too. Especially with the movie coming up (and definitely a season 2 announcement) which will make the sales go even crazier. But there is one problem. AOT season 4 might make the sales of the manga spike again. I honestly belive that.

And then there is One Piece, I don't know how many of you guys are one piece fans here but where the story is now and how the rest of the wano arc is going to progress going forward, it's at really important part of the story's overall lore. And if you look at the recent interviews that Oda and the producer of the anime had recently theres gonna be crazy shit like hints to the one piece stuff along those lines. That's like a really major thing. With the rate that the story is going at now a lot of these important events will probably happen next year so I think the sales might skyrocket. They where also encouraging old fans to get back into the series cause of the wano arc

So like, yeah I don't know with where one piece is now I can't see it losing to any other manga. But who knows

(Apologies for my grammar if it was piss poor)

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
And then there is One Piece, I don't know how many of you guys are one piece fans here but where the story is now and how the rest of the wano arc is going to progress going forward, it's at really important part of the story's overall lore. And if you look at the recent interviews that Oda and the producer of the anime had recently theres gonna be crazy shit like hints to the one piece stuff along those lines. That's like a really major thing. With the rate that the story is going at now a lot of these important events will probably happen next year so I think the sales might skyrocket. They where also encouraging old fans to get back into the series cause of the wano arc
Uh...no. I know I say this a lot, but it bears repeating.

"Hype" developments do very littile if anything for sales.

The thing which gives manga major sales boosts is exposure, that's why anime boosts are so common. The thing is, though, One Piece is already basically the most famous manga out there in Japan, there's literally nowhere it can go popularity-wise. And I highly doubt hearing Wano had some cool stuff will suddenly bring back people who stopped reading.

Ryuusei

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hmmm. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to how sales work in manga and stuff which is why I'm always reading about it here (So I'm sorry if what I'm about to say sounds like nonsense) but I would agree that Demon Slayer has a chance to be No1 next year too. Especially with the movie coming up (and definitely a season 2 announcement) which will make the sales go even crazier. But there is one problem. AOT season 4 might make the sales of the manga spike again. I honestly belive that.

So like, yeah I don't know with where one piece is now I can't see it losing to any other manga. But who knows

(Apologies for my grammar if it was piss poor)
You see, SNK's first half of season 3 aired in 2018 and in that year the series sold 5.2 million copies (it was #3 behind OP and MHA). The second half aired this year and the series sold 4.7 million (it was only #7), with one volume not even selling 1 million before the end of the fiscal year. The newer seasons haven't had any effects on SNK, but also, S4 seemingly won't be made by WIT, which might make the anime's quality drop considerably and not attract much buzz.

As for OP, if you look at the last volume's sales, things haven't been looking that good either. Ever since Wano started back in volume 90, volume 92 and volume 94 have both underperformed, with volume 92 only selling 2 million after 3 months and 94 is on its way to do the same. And while the anime's production has been hyped, I have doubts it could give the manga any boost, given that not even Stampede was able to make it happen.

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
You see, SNK's first half of season 3 aired in 2018 and in that year the series sold 5.2 million copies (it was #3 behind OP and MHA). The second half aired this year and the series sold 4.7 million (it was only #7), with one volume not even selling 1 million before the end of the fiscal year. The newer seasons haven't had any effects on SNK, but also, S4 seemingly won't be made by WIT, which might make the anime's quality drop considerably and not attract much buzz.

As for OP, if you look at the last volume's sales, things haven't been looking that good either. Ever since Wano started back in volume 90, volume 92 and volume 94 have both underperformed, with volume 92 only selling 2 million after 3 months and 94 is on its way to do the same. And while the anime's production has been hyped, I have doubts it could give the manga any boost, given that not even Stampede was able to make it happen.
The beginning of wano is very boring. So I'm sure now that things are picking up people are gonna be in more of a rush to buy them volumes quickly but you are probably right.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Uh...no. I know I say this a lot, but it bears repeating.

"Hype" developments do very littile if anything for sales.

The thing which gives manga major sales boosts is exposure, that's why anime boosts are so common. The thing is, though, One Piece is already basically the most famous manga out there in Japan, there's literally nowhere it can go popularity-wise. And I highly doubt hearing Wano had some cool stuff will suddenly bring back people who stopped reading.
That's a fair argument

Belkac3m

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Like every arc from one piece, fights representing the whole 2nd half of the arc, and we all know how much the fights in OP are too long and boring.

Ryuusei

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kimetsu no Yaiba is getting billboards all across Japan to promote the series. The billboards will show posters with 18 different characters and will be up for a few days in the surrounding area of Shibuya Station and in other main stations in Tokyo, in Jr East's Stations in Osaka, in main stations in Nagoya's subway and in main stations in Fukuoka. These posters are also going to be distrubuted as rare cards in bookstores. Kimetsu no Yaiba's promotion is going super strong.

The beginning of wano is very boring. So I'm sure now that things are picking up people are gonna be in more of a rush to buy them volumes quickly but you are probably right.

That's a fair argument
Well, volume 94 goes up to chapter 953, that's almost 50 chapters into Wano. I don't think that's still considered the beginning.

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Kimetsu no Yaiba is getting billboards all across Japan to promote the series. The billboards will show posters with 18 different characters and will be up for a few days in the surrounding area of Shibuya Station and in other main stations in Tokyo, in Jr East's Stations in Osaka, in main stations in Nagoya's subway and in main stations in Fukuoka. These posters are also going to be distrubuted as rare cards in bookstores along with volume 18. Kimetsu no Yaiba's promotion is going super strong.
Oh speaking of those rare cards, resellers are putting them a high price for each and the whole set is almost 40k yens.

Also, here's a pv to promote the new volume. (Beware there are spoilers)

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
Like every arc from one piece, fights representing the whole 2nd half of the arc, and we all know how much the fights in OP are too long and boring.
I'm not talking about fights. The fights aren't even the things that me and many others are looking most forward to anyway. Its just the pure lore that we will get

Oh speaking of those rare cards, resellers are putting them a high price for each and the whole set is almost 40k yens.

What are these cards?

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I'm not talking about fights. The fights aren't even the things that me and many others are looking most forward to anyway. Its just the pure lore that we will get

What are these cards?
Cards that contains info about each characters, maybe their quotes, moments and those kind of stuff

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Do you think that for the upcoming Christmas cover, they will put Tanjirou next to Luffy? Or at least inbetween Emma and Deku? That would be a nice thing to do from them for the two best selling manga in the year.

Shinuki no Reborn

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Who would ever have thought that the "next Naruto" in terms of sales would be Kimetsu no Yaiba? kkkkk, everybody just acted like Boku no Hero Academia was the peak of what Shonen Jump would get in terms of popularity and sales for a battle shounen in this generation and now Yaiba is just showing that BNHA could have been much more (of course still a big series).

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's so weird how Yaiba just completely hogged the spotlight. I remember when Neverland's anime was airing and all the backlogs were propelling it to rival or even possibly beat out Kingdom in the Oricon charts this year, and HeroAca was coming off of a pretty good 2018, having firmly established itself as a successor of sorts. I thought the talk of the town was gonna be focused on these two.

Fast forward to now, and it's all about how Yaiba just took over everything. It's almost like Emma and Deku were fighting, but then Tanjiro appears out of nowhere and puts his arms around their shoulder before effortlessly faceplanting them to the ground with a genuine smile.

EDIT: Not to discredit any of those three series tho, they're all pretty successful.

TyVip

Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Demon Slayer has earn the "This series can stay in the magazine for 5 years with no repercussion."

I think the author can end the series at the author's wish, immediately pump out a prequel that sets like 100 years back, or in a previous Era and it would still sell like hotcakes. The momentum is there.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
With all this popularity it makes me wonder how well the Demon Train arc movie will do in the box office. Will it surpass OP's Stampede film that broke records? It's definitely going to surpass MHA's movie lol. What are your bets?

Oh boy, cant wait to see how it does.

Who would ever have thought that the "next Naruto" in terms of sales would be Kimetsu no Yaiba? kkkkk, everybody just acted like Boku no Hero Academia was the peak of what Shonen Jump would get in terms of popularity and sales for a battle shounen in this generation and now Yaiba is just showing that BNHA could have been much more (of course still a big series).
And then there will be a series that will easily surpasses Kimetsu...moral of the story, boosts/successes can be very unpredictable. (even if it is fun to predict)

Last edited:

Newkerzy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
It's so weird how Yaiba just completely hogged the spotlight. I remember when Neverland's anime was airing and all the backlogs were propelling it to rival or even possibly beat out Kingdom in the Oricon charts this year, and HeroAca was coming off of a pretty good 2018, having firmly established itself as a successor of sorts. I thought the talk of the town was gonna be focused on these two.

Fast forward to now, and it's all about how Yaiba just took over everything. It's almost like Emma and Deku were fighting, but then Tanjiro appears out of nowhere and puts his arms around their shoulder before effortlessly faceplanting them to the ground with a genuine smile.

EDIT: Not to discredit any of those three series tho, they're all pretty successful.
Someone needs to make fanart of this. I'm going to admit that I never got to get myself into it because of the art. I understand the characters more than make up for it, but still... I hope Gotouge can end the manga on their terms and take a hiatus so they can keep improving their art.

That's assuming Jump/Nak doesn't fuck up their return like they did with S8.

wothab

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Yup, I still remember how everyone hyped up MHA to be a successor for one of the big three (at the very least).
Things sure are unpredictable in this business

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't think it's any wrong to not put Kimetsu before 2019 in the biggest things, because it wasn't. In 2016 the series had almost no popularity to the point where it was compared to Yunna. The series only began to grow more when Togashi gave a recommendation which made it more popular and then on last year it was already selling quite well. In 2019 that was when it exploded due to the anime and the rest you all know but the path of the series to here wasn't easy and no one could predict anything. Which frankly, it's why it's fun to talk about those things as things like that happens and we have surprises and histories like this of Kimetsu.

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Liked the first chapter of Zipman, but i dont how its going to work as a long running series.

Are we going to get every week a new villain? Meh

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
With all this popularity it makes me wonder how well the Demon Train arc movie will do in the box office. Will it surpass OP's Stampede film that broke records? It's definitely going to surpass MHA's movie lol. What are your bets?

Oh boy, cant wait to see how it does.

And then there will be a series that will easily surpasses Kimetsu...moral of the story, boosts/successes can be very unpredictable. (even if it is fun to predict)
Heaven's feel box office tier, maybe a lil bit less but enough to break records