Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 397 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10

Good Votes!

Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
[mod=Halloween]Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.[/mod]

Last edited:

Ryuusei

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file

Last edited:

Rain Spectre

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Estimates:
Yozakura sold 11,330.
Miitama sold 4,953.

You may now begin to panic.
Sooo....we're going to have to see how the rest of the week pans out, but, uh, oh dear for Mitama.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Depending on how the sales of the other new series might go Mitama could still be fine. Or it could still be fine if WSJ decides it wants Mitama as running gag manga no matter their sales.

lgrmjauffre

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
we actually got oricon numbers for act-age 1 (thanks to top 100)
and it was 11,622

EDIT:

Ah, okay. Thank you. I honestly can't even remember from whom I got this Google Sheet, so I wasn't sure how accurate it was.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Guess this means Yozakura won't be the unfortunate newbie to possibly get the axe. With over 10k sales after a week and if it grows in the future, it will run for some time for sure.

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Guess this means Yozakura won't be the unfortunate newbie to possibly get the axe. With over 10k sales after a week and if it grows in the future, it will run for some time for sure.
Yay!

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Estimates:
Yozakura sold 11,330.
Miitama sold 4,953.

You may now begin to panic.
Estimations are usually higher compared to Oricon's numbers, so even if I can say I'm surprised with Yozakura's performance (it may not reach 10k, but that was close), I'm way more surprised with how less has Mitama sold in comparison lol, not even 5k.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, those numbers are better than most every other series from last year, Yozakura especially. And Mitama is a gag series, so I'll reserve panicking for if they actually get cancelled.
Huh, really? I'll have to check - I know Miitama outperformed Yui Kamio. However, I honestly thought Miitama would sell more and Yozakura would sell less. I'm actually kind of glad that Yozakura managed to defy the odds and sell quite well - I've yet to read it, but I was always interested in it, so I'm happy that it seems to be successful for now.
As for Miitama, I think it'll have the editorial support it needs to survive, if the color page is of any indication. Maybe it won't be a hit, but I can see it sticking around as the new gag manga at the back - as long as any of the newer series don’t sell more.

I'm more curious in seeing how the next volumes will do. Whether the sales increase or decrease with the next volume will paint a better picture as to those series' fates, IMO.

Last edited:

lgrmjauffre

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Huh, really? I'll have to check - I know Miitama outperformed Yui Kamio. However, I honestly thought Miitama would sell more and Yozakura would sell less. I'm actually kind of glad that Yozakura managed to defy the odds and sell quite well - I've yet to read it, but I was always interested in it, so I'm happy that it seems to be successful for now.
As for Miitama, I think it'll have the editorial support it needs to survive, if the color page is of any indication. Maybe it won't be a hit, but I can see it sticking around as the new gag manga at the back - as long as any of the newer series sell more.

I'm more curious in seeing how the next volumes will do. Whether the sales increase or decrease with the next volume will paint a better picture as to those series' fates, IMO.
I don't have Oricon numbers, but this Sheet I have has Shoseki putting Yui Kamio at 5.5k, so they're probably about even or Mitama slightly above it, yeah.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation

KNY doing 3 million... should be at 20 million plus for Oricon year 2020 now....
20,942,146 to be precise, so basically 21mln in 3 months so far.

1. ONE PIECE - 37.996.373 (2011)
2. ONE PIECE - 32.343.809 (2010)
3. ONE PIECE - 23.464.866 (2012)
4. Kimetsu no yaiba - 20,942,146 (2020, 12 weeks)
5. ONE PIECE - 18.151.599 (2013)
6. Attack on Titan - 15.933.801 (2013)

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Whoa, what happened? One Piece dropped HARD on M+.
Looking into this a bit more, we can finally figure out what MangaPlus is doing.

Series that suddenly dropped are:
- all WSJ series except for Dr Stone and the 3 newbies
- Summer Time and Hell's Paradise, but not SxF
- all Jump SQ series
- Torture Princess and Spotless Love

Torture Princess and Spotless Love ALWAYS come out on Monday. So we are looking for a Monday on which WSJ, J SQ and Sunday's Jump+ titles all came out together, after the launch of Agravity Boys but before UxU, while Dr Stone and SxF were on break. This can only be January 6th.

(For extra confirmation, the Konjirou one-shot that came out that day is crashing too, going from ~4800 to ~2500. It had only been climbing up till this point.)

If the numbers gained on Jan 6th disappeared on Februari 11th, then that means that M+ is showing us the cumulated views for the last 36 days, or ~5 weeks, or (most likely) 4 WSJ issues.

I should add that all of these series are rising again now, which shouldn't be possible if they were removing the old views in real time, so it's likely that they are only resetting the views once a day. If I'm right, Konjirou should have dropped another 1000 or so by this evening.

It still doesn't explain why some series are much lower than they should have been (for example, that Konjirou one-shot had ~6300 views before the system change and ~4700 afterwards), but I'm guessing those might've been just mistakes? We'll see more of it in the coming weeks anyway.

Last edited:

pamuchi

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
20,942,146 to be precise, so basically 21mln in 3 months so far.

1. ONE PIECE - 37.996.373 (2011)
2. ONE PIECE - 32.343.809 (2010)
3. ONE PIECE - 23.464.866 (2012)
4. Kimetsu no yaiba - 20,942,146 (2020, 12 weeks)
5. ONE PIECE - 18.151.599 (2013)
6. Attack on Titan - 15.933.801 (2013)
By March I can see it in top 3. Jesus Christ.

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Looking into this a bit more, we can finally figure out what MangaPlus is doing.

Series that suddenly dropped are:
- all WSJ series except for Dr Stone and the 3 newbies
- Summer Time and Hell's Paradise, but not SxF
- all Jump SQ series
- Torture Princess and Spotless Love

Torture Princess and Spotless Love ALWAYS come out on Monday. So we are looking for a Monday on which WSJ, J SQ and Sunday's Jump+ titles all came out together, after the launch of Agravity Boys but before UxU, while Dr Stone and SxF were on break. This can only be January 6th.

(For extra confirmation, the Konjirou one-shot that came out that day is crashing too, going from ~4800 to ~2500. It had only been climbing up till this point.)

If the numbers gained on Jan 6th disappeared on Februari 11th, then that means that M+ is showing us the cumulated views for the last 33 days, or ~5 weeks, or (most likely) 4 WSJ issues.

I should add that all of these series are rising again now, which shouldn't be possible if they were removing the old views in real time, so it's likely that they are only resetting the views once a day. If I'm right, Konjirou should have dropped another 1000 or so by this evening.

It still doesn't explain why some series are much lower than they should have been (for example, that Konjirou one-shot had ~6300 views before the system change and ~4700 afterwards), but I'm guessing those might've been just mistakes? We'll see more of it in the coming weeks anyway.
Dr. STONE dropped 517 views just yesterday. And only some of them are rising. One Piece's number has gone below the one we had on February 4th when the reset happened, around -25.000 views less.

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
If that happens, as in UxU selling the most outta the new titles when its first volume sales come up, then I think that alone will spark a huge discussion here about what Japan thinks about naked muscular men raping or not raping women. Or in general the fictional display of women in mangas as "something to win over", "something to take", "something to own" or how most women in most manga series only exist as love interest or as ero fantasy for the readers. Which is also why I liked AA so much because Kei is not just the main love interest of someone else or is shown to us as a huge ero spectacle but as a young talented woman who wants to act and who tries her goddamn hardest at her job, no matter the Odds. Also partly why I like WT so much, because you can feel the respect Ashihara has for the girls and women in his series, none is show as huge titty Mcgee who has a cleavage so big you wonder where the hell her nipples are or not a single one of his female characters is shown as incompetent or as a joke.

Thanks Rain, for getting us onto a new topic.
It's funny you say this, because I remember WT used to have character descriptions at the end of the volume. Descriptions of the guys were fine, but descriptions of the girls usually started with "An A-cup who...", which is about as objectifying as it gets.

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Act-Age did 13.9k in the first 5 days, if this sheet someone posted a while back is correct.

Edit: I'm being told it was actually 11,622 according to Oricon.
Well you aren't wrong. It did 13.9k according to shoseki and if you're comparing those two it's better to use that number. Since both are from shoseki and calculated with same method.

About oricon numbers, some series can be overestimated or underestimated by shoseki. It can change from series to series and since it's the first volume of yozakura it's hard to tell how it will do in the oricon list. Fortunately if we've numbers from oricon top 100 we will know.

Last edited:

NeeNeen

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Dr. STONE dropped 517 views just yesterday. And only some of them are rising. One Piece's number has gone below the one we had on February 4th when the reset happened, around -25.000 views less.
No, it didn't. Between 7 AM and 11 PM (WET), Dr Stone went (slightly) up while all the other WSJ series went down. None of them have dropped any after 11 PM.

And yes, OP rose from 525k (Feb 4th) till 542k (yesterday morning) and then suddely dropped to 500k (yesterday evening). It had been going up and down before, but never in such numbers.

Last edited:

RafGL

Reaction score
Country
Spain
No, it didn't. Between 7 AM and 10 PM (WET), Dr Stone went (slightly) up while all the other WSJ series went down. None of them have dropped any after 22 PM.

And yes, OP rose from 525k (Feb 4th) till 542k (yesterday morning) and then suddely dropped to 500k (yesterday evening). It had been going up and down before, but never in such numbers.
Yes it did, from February 11th 10:00 AM GMT+1 to February 11th 4:00 PM GMT+1 Dr. STONE went from 165604 to 165087.

Status
Not open for further replies.