Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Jhonathan

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2019
Messages
337
Reaction score
387
Age
25
Country
Brazil
I think is all a question, of how the author is gonna handle this issue. There's a lot of no-offensive jokes that can be made with this theme. Besides they the author can go through a similar route as Boku girl, and explore sexuality and gender identitiy in a cute and respectable way.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have very low expectations regarding AGravity Boys because I really don't get yet what kind of public it targets.

Some of you guys seems to be missing the controversial point. It's not only a gender bender thing. It's a gender bender where is implied the transitioned man have to lie with at least one of the other ones to reproduce and save earth... In conservative Japan, I think this would be controversial enough without the gender bender thing.

While I hope it could go on a respectful route like ao no flag, I can see a lot of things going wrong.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I mean, it sure can explore interesting themes of gender identity in a respectful manner, and if it does so it will be really great and refreshing. Or it can just do something acceptable, even if it doesn't go too deep. There are a lot of good gender-bender series that does deal with such issues and themes.

However, it's a comedy manga on Jump. The precedent for a actual good treatment of those themes that doesn't delve into poor taste jokes and offensive elements just isn't there.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I have very low expectations regarding AGravity Boys because I really don't get yet what kind of public it targets.

Some of you guys seems to be missing the controversial point. It's not only a gender bender thing. It's a gender bender where is implied the transitioned man have to lie with at least one of the other ones to reproduce and save earth... In conservative Japan, I think this would be controversial enough without the gender bender thing.
They're trapped in another planet, this is why the reproduction thing.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
They're trapped in another planet, this is why the reproduction thing.
...And that matters because...?

4Eyes is right, the simple matter of the fact is that entire premise is extremely skeevy and opens itself to very negative content, and we have little to no reason to think it'll turn out different.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
...And that matters because...?

4Eyes is right, the simple matter of the fact is that entire premise is extremely skeevy and opens itself to very negative content, and we have little to no reason to think it'll turn out different.
Because he said something wrong? isn't earth, is another planet, it's matter because is part of the context behind the premisse lol

It will be so funny to see all this talk again when the manga gets released and there's zero controversy on Japan, seriously, if TSS first chapter caused nothing, this will be even less since Japan has nothing against gender bender and they also realise that a comedy series is comedy kkkkk
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My only problem with Agravity Boys is just that the premise seems like it might get boring pretty quickly? The gender bender aspect is one thing, and a fine thing at that, but just the four of them on some alien planet seems like they'll run out of things to talk about fairly quickly. Maybe it's just me.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
...And that matters because...?

4Eyes is right, the simple matter of the fact is that entire premise is extremely skeevy and opens itself to very negative content, and we have little to no reason to think it'll turn out different.
Yeah, even though I mistook this part of the premise, I don't think it being on Earth or another planet makes it less controversial.
But: I think skeevy is a harsh word to describe the premise. I just think it doesn't fit WSJ audience, since it seems like the premise of a low effort lewd harem.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
What is "accepted by the public"? Because none of those two sold well if that's your metric. And if it's not that, then what is it? Western people? Japanese? Twitter? Elaborate a bit more.

Either way, if by gender bender you also count changing bodies, then there's Hina-chan change and Shinsuki Bitter change. And Bokura no ****** isn't really a deconstruction, it's just a series about three crossdressers with one being gay, other being trans and the other being straight.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
People forgot that Jump had a genderbender manga 17 years ago...This isn't anything new.

To be fair, 17 years is a hell of a long time for values to change. I know this is Japan we’re talking about, but still. I doubt this’ll be popular in the West anyways.

I actually didn’t know that this wasn’t the first time this has happened. I had originally thought the premise was too weird for Jump, but I stand corrected.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To be fair, 17 years is a hell of a long time for values to change. I know this is Japan we’re talking about, but still. I doubt this’ll be popular in the West anyways.

I actually didn’t know that this wasn’t the first time this has happened. I had originally thought the premise was too weird for Jump, but I stand corrected.
Being popular in the west or not isn't really important for a series to be established on WSJ or any manga magazine. It needs to have good reception in JP and sell volumes..

And there's still tons of gender bender manga out there on different magazines. It's not something that somehow disappeared. I'm not even counting crossdressers, just males becoming females.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
What is "accepted by the public"? Because none of those two sold well if that's your metric. And if it's not that, then what is it? Western people? Japanese? Twitter?
Being popular in the west or not isn't really important for a series to be established on WSJ or any manga magazine. It needs to have good reception in JP and sell volumes..

And there's still tons of gender bender manga out there on different magazines. It's not something that somehow disappeared. I'm not even counting crossdressers, just males becoming females.
Right, I forgot about that.

I know there’s a lot of genderbender manga out there of all types, I just didn’t remember one being in Jump until now. My bad.

Bokura no ****** actually sounds pretty interesting, I hope that’s good.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Right, I forgot about that.

I know there’s a lot of genderbender manga out there of all types, I just didn’t remember one being in Jump until now. My bad.

Bokura no ****** actually sounds pretty interesting, I hope that’s good.
No problem. :P Also, Bokura no ****** is a fantastic manga. It's more drama-driven and very interesting on how it goes. It was one of my first crossdresser manga, with Fumi Fumiko beingthe mangaka and she has other manga with similar approaches so I really recommend.

With that said, gender bender can be done on crossdressing, body changing, transformation (men or women into the other sex), etc. I particularly don't consider a manga about trans to be gender bender ofc, because it's very different and a gender bender character in many times won't be a trans.
 

wothab

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
267
Age
32
Country
Brazil
That premise doesnt seem to lend itself to a long serialization though, even if its episodic.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Either way, I'm not confident about the series but gender bender isn't something bad per se and I have read many good manga with it be it comedy, romance, drama, etc. I'll reserve my impression to the series as always.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,784
Country
Dragonstone
I think people are less turned off by the gender bender stuff, but rather by the premise of "One of the boys is forced to change so he can get impregnated by the other boys for the survival of humankind." Yes, I know it is a comedy, but still, I won't hold it against anyone to find this concept... a little iffy, at least.

(Also, not very recent and not the entire series either, but if I recall correctly, To Love Ru had some chapters where Rito got turned into a woman... I guess that could count.)
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico


I remember there was an updated data for each series audience ratio, but it seems that KnY new audience is mostly women in their thirties and forties.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think people are less turned off by the gender bender stuff, but rather by the premise of "One of the boys is forced to change so he can get impregnated by the other boys for the survival of humankind." Yes, I know it is a comedy, but still, I won't hold it against anyone to find this concept... a little iffy, at least.

(Also, not very recent and not the entire series either, but if I recall correctly, To Love Ru had some chapters where Rito got turned into a woman... I guess that could count.)
Plus there was a whole Gintama arc based on this idea
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top