Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,596
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,596
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS POLL ISSUE #16 (2020) - VOTING RESULTS

1. Undead Unluck 9 - 81 Votes
2. My Hero Academia 264 - 66 Votes
3. One Piece 974 - 62 Votes
4. Chainsaw Man 62 - 40 Votes

5. Act-Age 105 - 32 Votes
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba 198 - 29 Votes
7. Dr. Stone 143 - 26 Votes
8. Black Clover 243 - 22 Votes
9. Jujutsu Kaisen 99 - 19 Votes
10. Haikyuu!! 386 - 16 Votes
11. Mission: Yozakura Family 28 - 16 Votes
12. Mitama Security 29 - 16 Votes
13. Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 42 - 14 Votes
14. The Promised Neverland 171 - 13 Votes
15. Mashle 8 - 13 Votes
16. We Never Learn 151 - 9 Votes

17. Agravity Boys 13 - 5 Votes
18. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 199 - 2 Votes
19. ZIPMAN!! 14 - 1 Vote

20. Guardian of the Witch 7 - 1 Vote

Notes:

-49 Voters (7 excluded)
-Tied mangas decided by which is older
-Total number of votes is the combined between both polls
 

Reading Somethin'

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2019
Messages
105
Reaction score
155
Age
28
Country
Honduras
Btw, how do you guys expect that the bleach anime will adapt 20 volumes?
Probably a two-cour season. I don't see it being stretched now that the manga is done.

Also, why is someone trying to push series wars? There are plenty websites for that.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
MANGAHELPERS POLL ISSUE #16 (2020) - VOTING RESULTS

1. Undead Unluck 9 - 81 Votes
2. My Hero Academia 264 - 66 Votes
3. One Piece 974 - 62 Votes
4. Chainsaw Man 62 - 40 Votes

5. Act-Age 105 - 32 Votes
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba 198 - 29 Votes
7. Dr. Stone 143 - 26 Votes
8. Black Clover 243 - 22 Votes
9. Jujutsu Kaisen 99 - 19 Votes
10. Haikyuu!! 386 - 16 Votes
11. Mission: Yozakura Family 28 - 16 Votes
12. Mitama Security 29 - 16 Votes
13. Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 42 - 14 Votes
14. The Promised Neverland 171 - 13 Votes
15. Mashle 8 - 13 Votes
16. We Never Learn 151 - 9 Votes

17. Agravity Boys 13 - 5 Votes
18. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 199 - 2 Votes
19. ZIPMAN!! 14 - 1 Vote

20. Guardian of the Witch 7 - 1 Vote

Notes:

-49 Voters (7 excluded)
-Tied mangas decided by which is older
-Total number of votes is the combined between both polls
First place going to Undead Unluck is entirely deserved. So much worldbuilding, plot development, and battle setup done so effectively. I can't wait for the chapter tomorrow. I'm actually a bit surprised Mashle was this low since I thought that was one of its better chapters.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well, I am glad UxU ch.9 got first place, it was a well done exposition chapter, you got a shit ton of information told without being boring while setting up future plotlines and already showing some character dynamics/relationships like Nr.1 being so powerful even Andy doesn't want to mess with her or Tatiana being subservant to Billy. Compared to many other "info-dump" chapters this one was one had showed a lot of thought put into how to make it exciting for the readers, how to answer some questions while either leaving some open on purpose or creating new ones. Can't wait to see what ch.10 got for us waiting.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'll be shocked if CSM doesn't win the poll next week. For the people who saw the spoilers or who read the speedscans, you know exactly why I think that.

Anyway, yeah, I totally see why UU won this week.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,596
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Undead Unluck ch.9 was easily the most voted chapter so far since the start of the MH polls, 11 votes more than Act-Age ch.103.

Btw, is really ironic seeing Mashle starting to drop at the same time started to do great in the toc kkkk. It's also the lowest Mitama position in ages.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
4,783
Country
Dragonstone
This was already known, IIRC. At least, the severed tendons thing.
Yes, that Jump GIGA interview with Matsui and Kubo where Kubo talked about his shoulder tendons was translated like almost 3 years ago.
Here for example:
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Here's my long post responding about Kimetsu No Yaiba cannibalizing sales, I think it's an interesting read regarding economics so if you are interested in economics give it a read.


Before I answer this, I´m gonna clarify some points:

1.-Before I respond, I should say that I didn´t ever bring up One Piece into this argument lol.. So idk why some users have brought it up, but I never did, I still think KnY is over hyped lol..


2.- So.. Maybe I guess I shouldn´t use the word cannibalizing because it sounds like it takes 50% off the sales of manga lol. But cannibalizing sales does happen.
Why do you think movie studios or game studios don´t release movies/games the same week blockbusters like Marvel movies or AAA games get released?
Unless you are a very niche film or game whose audience is still gonna watch your movie you avoid the week like the plague.
Even Marvel spaces their own releases, they try to put their movies at least 4 months apart of each other, maybe to avoid viewers fatigue..

Here´s the definition of Market Cannibalization:
Market Cannibalization happens when the introduction of a new product causes a decrease in the sales of another product within the same company.

Instead of applying this to only Shueisha I´m gonna talk about the entire manga industry.

Anyway, with this in mind it´s just obvious that market cannibalization is a reality of not just the manga industry but every industry.

As I said there's a reason every movie studio spaces their releases and so do video game studios.


3.- Now let´s talk about the concept of Zero sum game which is very important to understand market cannibalization:
In a nutshell zero sum game means that "whenever someone wins something someone losses", it's true for a lot of games.

An example I can make to make this WSJ related is the TOC since it is a pretty clear zero sum game.
Each week the series in WSJ "Fight" for readers' votes, there is a finite number of readers' votes, and they can only vote for their top 3 favorite series (Or to be more precise that chapter week) so in this case 3 series get a vote, the other 15 or so series in the magazine don't. Pretty easy concept to understand. 3 series "win" 15 "lose".

Some economic experts debate that economics isn´t a zero sum game, some say it is.. In my opinion (and a lot of experienced economists) it is, and if it is then any market can be considered a zero sum game.
You can check a reddit thread I read a long time ago regarding this to make your own conclusions.


4.- Sorry @Buranchi , I know this is off-topic, I will try not to bring up this "Cannibalizing sales again".

All that being said, I'm gonna start replying.
I have to wondering if this argument of KNY "cannibalizing" sales is just another attempt to frame the series as "unworthy" of beating One Piece, as if unworthiness is something which exists in the manga world.
First, as I said, I didn´t even bring up One Piece into this, if this was hinted towards me lol.

Second... That statement wouldn´t make sense, so no, I wouldn´t say that.

I wouldn´t say KnY is unworthy of beating One Piece if it was indeed cannibalizing sales, One Piece in its time cannibalized sales too (And still does to a lot of series).


Every series has a number of readers who are casual fans which is why after a peak the sales always decline for every series. It's why manga volumes usually bundled with something more tend to do better than regular volume releases which are just solo.

One manga doing well doesn't imply it'll affect another's sales. This isn't like movie releases where a movie releases for a limited time and after that it's no longer available in the theaters.
That's like saying S8 would've done a lot better had KNY not have such a big boost because its cannibalizing the market and no one wants to read S8 because of it.
AOT didn't cannibalize the market, Death Note didn't cannibalize the market, OP's growth in 2011 didn't cannibalize the market and neither has KNY.

MHA, TPN, HQ, OP are all declining and they all have been declining over months / years now. This isn't something new.

JK, CSM are clearly not affected and are in fact still reaching new peaks.
So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?
I truly don´t care about the series I was taking about, I was just pointing out the obvious

The one series I care for which you mention is One Piece and I never said anything about OP sales being cannibalized by KnY, in fact I think One Piece has already a super established fanbase, so KnY has very, very, very low chances of cannibalizing its sales, but I simply don´t think that's true for other younger series, lots of people just jump shark to the next popular thing, e.g. let´s suppose they were following MHA, then KnY got popular and now they are reading that, in the other hand OP as I said already has an established ¨peak¨ and sure its sales are still dwindling but I would not say it´s because of KnY mostly because probably people got bored along the way maybe.

To add to this even more, if cannibalizing was a thing then SxF was the unluckiest manga of all time since it's volumes released during all significant boosts of KNY. However it still retains the best debut volume numbers for a new series since AC



Exactly. Its why I gave other examples.
Death Note blew up in one of the most crowded eras ever with OP, HxH, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn etc. But all did remarkably well in their own ways.

It's a very lazy argument
If you had concrete data from those exact numbers we could talk about it.. But I don´t think we do.
Still, even if we did, certainly Death Note took sales away from those series, it´s just math.. I´m not saying it was a HUGE cannibalization, but that´s how it goes.


I'm gonna simplify this:

Imagine that back when Death Note (Along with all the other titles you mentioned) was being published there was 80 people in Japan, each with only 400 Yen to spend.. (Which is roughly enough for 1 volumes at the time).

You provided 8 examples of successful titles of the time, OP, HxH, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn, in this hypothetical example every title is selling 10 volumes (So 10 citizens of Japan buy each title).

But then Death Note starts getting serialized! And some people love it and want to buy its first volume... But they only have 400 Yen, so what happens? They will no longer be able to buy the other manga, so let´s say 1 reader of each manga decides to buy Death Note now, every manga has only 9 volumes sold and DN has 8 sales.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but this is how economy works, in a grand scale, obviously there is not 80 people in Japan, and obviously their income is not 400 Yen, but you get the point.

The point being is that whenever there's a finite resource (Be it money or time) and a consumer has to decide on how to spend it the product that is bought "gains" a sale and the product that doesn't get bought "lost" a sale.

Also, as I said, it's not like KnY is totally taking away all the sales from other titles, other factors (covid19, readers getting bored, readers dying... too many factors to count) are also contributing to it obviously.

I understand your arguments too guys, you are probably thinking that instead of people just giving up on a series they spend an extra 440 Yen to buy the new volume of Kimetsu, and that's certainly possible, in fact in a lot of cases that happens.. But I'm positive that there's also some people that has stopped to buy a series to continue buying other series (In this case KnY).

There's also the other argument that people that bought KnY wouldn't have bought other mangas, sure that could be the case too. Maybe new readers got into it, who knows, but that doesn't mean KnY took some sales out of other titles.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To finalize my argument I'm gonna provide some actual numbers collected by the Japan Book Publisher Association itself, you can check this link here:

You can go to chapter 4 and check the date for yourselves, or here is a tl,Dr: Across all age groups surveyed (Out of 2,459 people surveyed)

An average of 49% read one book or more (so 51% in average don't), that's not really a super important statistic, we all knew there is a finite number to the population of Japan anyways, which is the majority of where manga readers come from, obviously.

More interesting is the next statistic provided, which is the amount of money they spend in books per month:

15% average across all ages don't buy any books, an astonishing 37% of surveyed people spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books! (BTW that's roughly enough for 2 JUMP volumes, so gee.. If an average reader was buying say One Piece and Detective Conan and is now interested in buying the KnY, he/she has to either spend an extra 300 Yen per month OR stop reading OP or DC)...
An average of 27% of readers spend 1,000-2,000 yen per month on books (That would be 4 JUMP manga volumes per month btw).

So yeah, my "cannibalizing" sales argument looks like it very, very likely is true, considering that 15% of Japanese readers don't buy any books (I assume they ask their friends for their volumes..) and 37% only buy 2 volumes per month.

To be honest I had no idea of these numbers before doing this research, but it didn't matter if the average Japanese spent 1,000 Yen per month or 5,000 yen per month, my point would have still stood anyway, since money is a finite resource there was bound to be a part of Japanese readers that stopped buying certain series to buy others (e.g. Kimetsu).

Also please.. Don't give the "that's a very low surveying sample" argument.. Sure.. it could be considered low, go ask the entire population of Japan if you'd like I doubt is gonna change percentages considerably.

Also if you are wondering, yeah the JBPA takes "manga" into consideration in its statistics. I wasn't completely sure about this since they don't really mention the word "manga" or "comic" much in their data, but I compared total book sales between these 2 sources:

The AJPEA said that "Estimated sales value of paper publications (total of books and magazines in which AJPEA explicitly confirms it took manga sales into account) in 2019 was 1,236 billion yen" and the JBPA states that in 2015 total book and magazine sales was 1,522 billion yen. So that comparison proves the first source, JBPA is also taking "manga sales" as "book sales".

So, to summarize all this super long post:
I just provided concise information that a huge % of readers in Japan spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books, for a lack of a better term I'm just gonna call this 37% "normies", they buy less than 2 manga volumes per month.. So do you guys still think Kimetsu No Yaiba didn't cannibalize sales from other volumes? Specifically from this group of readers, I can only assume that yes, Kimetsu took some sales from them.

Also, again answering 101nemesis question once more, "So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?"

Previously I said that it doesn't but now I'm gonna answer this question with a new perspective, which I think is quite valid too.
Kimetsu no Yaiba is an action manga shonen, it's waaaaaaaay more likely to take aways sales from other shonen action manga than say a super niche title or maybe a more artsy manga like a Inio Asano manga.
So in a way, yes I also think that Kimetsu most likely would be taking aways sales from shonen action manga, I'm not saying the other series aren't popular and thriving in their own ways, but yeah.. Kimetsu is surely taking sales from them.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also I'm not gonna continue this argument, as it is almost completely off-topic, I already provided all the points I wanted to convey. If unlike me, you think the economy is a non-zero sum game (Which is that new stuff doesn't take sales from other stuff) then I won't be able to convince you anyway.[/SPOILER]
 
Last edited:

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Before I answer this, I´m gonna clarify some points:


1.-Before I respond, I should say that I didn´t ever bring up One Piece into this argument lol.. So idk why some users have brought it up, but I never did, I still think KnY is over hyped lol..


2.- So.. Maybe I guess I shouldn´t use the word cannibalizing because it sounds like it takes 50% off the sales of manga lol. But cannibalizing sales does happen.
Why do you think movie studios or game studios don´t release movies/games the same week blockbusters like Marvel movies or AAA games get released?
Unless you are a very niche film or game whose audience is still gonna watch your movie you avoid the week like the plague.
Even Marvel spaces their own releases, they try to put their movies at least 4 months apart of each other, maybe to avoid viewers fatigue..

Here´s the definition of Market Cannibalization:
Market Cannibalization happens when the introduction of a new product causes a decrease in the sales of another product within the same company.

Instead of applying this to only Shueisha I´m gonna talk about the entire manga industry.

Anyway, with this in mind it´s just obvious that market cannibalization is a reality of not just the manga industry but every industry.

As I said there's a reason every movie studio spaces their releases and so do video game studios.


3.- Now let´s talk about the concept of Zero sum game which is very important to understand market cannibalization:
In a nutshell zero sum game means that "whenever someone wins something someone losses", it's true for a lot of games.

An example I can make to make this WSJ related is the TOC since it is a pretty clear zero sum game.
Each week the series in WSJ "Fight" for readers' votes, there is a finite number of readers' votes, and they can only vote for their top 3 favorite series (Or to be more precise that chapter week) so in this case 3 series get a vote, the other 15 or so series in the magazine don't. Pretty easy concept to understand. 3 series "win" 15 "lose".

Some economic experts debate that economics isn´t a zero sum game, some say it is.. In my opinion (and a lot of experienced economists) it is, and if it is then any market can be considered a zero sum game.
You can check a reddit thread I read a long time ago regarding this to make your own conclusions.


4.- Sorry @Buranchi , I know this is off-topic, I will try not to bring up this "Cannibalizing sales again".

All that being said, I'm gonna start replying.


First, as I said, I didn´t even bring up One Piece into this, if this was hinted towards me lol.

Second... That statement wouldn´t make sense, so no, I wouldn´t say that.

I wouldn´t say KnY is unworthy of beating One Piece if it was indeed cannibalizing sales, One Piece in its time cannibalized sales too (And still does to a lot of series).




I truly don´t care about the series I was taking about, I was just pointing out the obvious

The one series I care for which you mention is One Piece and I never said anything about OP sales being cannibalized by KnY, in fact I think One Piece has already a super established fanbase, so KnY has very, very, very low chances of cannibalizing its sales, but I simply don´t think that's true for other younger series, lots of people just jump shark to the next popular thing, e.g. let´s suppose they were following MHA, then KnY got popular and now they are reading that, in the other hand OP as I said already has an established ¨peak¨ and sure its sales are still dwindling but I would not say it´s because of KnY mostly because probably people got bored along the way maybe.



If you had concrete data from those exact numbers we could talk about it.. But I don´t think we do.
Still, even if we did, certainly Death Note took sales away from those series, it´s just math.. I´m not saying it was a HUGE cannibalization, but that´s how it goes.


I'm gonna simplify this:

Imagine that back when Death Note (Along with all the other titles you mentioned) was being published there was 80 people in Japan, each with only 400 Yen to spend.. (Which is roughly enough for 1 volumes at the time).

You provided 8 examples of successful titles of the time, OP, HxH, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21, Naruto, Bleach, Gintama, Reborn, in this hypothetical example every title is selling 10 volumes (So 10 citizens of Japan buy each title).

But then Death Note starts getting serialized! And some people love it and want to buy its first volume... But they only have 400 Yen, so what happens? They will no longer be able to buy the other manga, so let´s say 1 reader of each manga decides to buy Death Note now, every manga has only 9 volumes sold and DN has 8 sales.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but this is how economy works, in a grand scale, obviously there is not 80 people in Japan, and obviously their income is not 400 Yen, but you get the point.

The point being is that whenever there's a finite resource (Be it money or time) and a consumer has to decide on how to spend it the product that is bought "gains" a sale and the product that doesn't get bought "lost" a sale.

Also, as I said, it's not like KnY is totally taking away all the sales from other titles, other factors (covid19, readers getting bored, readers dying... too many factors to count) are also contributing to it obviously.

I understand your arguments too guys, you are probably thinking that instead of people just giving up on a series they spend an extra 440 Yen to buy the new volume of Kimetsu, and that's certainly possible, in fact in a lot of cases that happens.. But I'm positive that there's also some people that has stopped to buy a series to continue buying other series (In this case KnY).

There's also the other argument that people that bought KnY wouldn't have bought other mangas, sure that could be the case too. Maybe new readers got into it, who knows, but that doesn't mean KnY took some sales out of other titles.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To finalize my argument I'm gonna provide some actual numbers collected by the Japan Book Publisher Association itself, you can check this link here:

You can go to chapter 4 and check the date for yourselves, or here is a tl,Dr: Across all age groups surveyed (Out of 2,459 people surveyed)

An average of 49% read one book or more (so 51% in average don't), that's not really a super important statistic, we all knew there is a finite number to the population of Japan anyways, which is the majority of where manga readers come from, obviously.

More interesting is the next statistic provided, which is the amount of money they spend in books per month:

15% average across all ages don't buy any books, an astonishing 37% of surveyed people spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books! (BTW that's roughly enough for 2 JUMP volumes, so gee.. If an average reader was buying say One Piece and Detective Conan and is now interested in buying the KnY, he/she has to either spend an extra 300 Yen per month OR stop reading OP or DC)...
An average of 27% of readers spend 1,000-2,000 yen per month on books (That would be 4 JUMP manga volumes per month btw).

So yeah, my "cannibalizing" sales argument looks like it very, very likely is true, considering that 15% of Japanese readers don't buy any books (I assume they ask their friends for their volumes..) and 37% only buy 2 volumes per month.

To be honest I had no idea of these numbers before doing this research, but it didn't matter if the average Japanese spent 1,000 Yen per month or 5,000 yen per month, my point would have still stood anyway, since money is a finite resource there was bound to be a part of Japanese readers that stopped buying certain series to buy others (e.g. Kimetsu).

Also please.. Don't give the "that's a very low surveying sample" argument.. Sure.. it could be considered low, go ask the entire population of Japan if you'd like I doubt is gonna change percentages considerably.

Also if you are wondering, yeah the JBPA takes "manga" into consideration in its statistics. I wasn't completely sure about this since they don't really mention the word "manga" or "comic" much in their data, but I compared total book sales between these 2 sources:

The AJPEA said that "Estimated sales value of paper publications (total of books and magazines in which AJPEA explicitly confirms it took manga sales into account) in 2019 was 1,236 billion yen" and the JBPA states that in 2015 total book and magazine sales was 1,522 billion yen. So that comparison proves the first source, JBPA is also taking "manga sales" as "book sales".

So, to summarize all this super long post:
I just provided concise information that a huge % of readers in Japan spend less than 1,000 yen per month in books, for a lack of a better term I'm just gonna call this 37% "normies", they buy less than 2 manga volumes per month.. So do you guys still think Kimetsu No Yaiba didn't cannibalize sales from other volumes? Specifically from this group of readers, I can only assume that yes, Kimetsu took some sales from them.

Also, again answering 101nemesis question once more, "So does the cannibalizing effect only happen for a select few series whose decline needs a more convenient reason?"

Previously I said that it doesn't but now I'm gonna answer this question with a new perspective, which I think is quite valid too.
Kimetsu no Yaiba is an action manga shonen, it's waaaaaaaay more likely to take aways sales from other shonen action manga than say a super niche title or maybe a more artsy manga like a Inio Asano manga.
So in a way, yes I also think that Kimetsu most likely would be taking aways sales from shonen action manga, I'm not saying the other series aren't popular and thriving in their own ways, but yeah.. Kimetsu is surely taking sales from them.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Also I'm not gonna continue this argument, as it is almost completely off-topic, I already provided all the points I wanted to convey. If unlike me, you think the economy is a non-zero sum game (Which is that new stuff doesn't take sales from other stuff) then I won't be able to convince you anyway.
Me whenever people post absurdly long dissertations about business.

 
Last edited:

kakilangit

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
275
Reaction score
403
Age
34
Country
Indonesia
MANGAHELPERS POLL ISSUE #16 (2020) - VOTING RESULTS

1. Undead Unluck 9 - 81 Votes
2. My Hero Academia 264 - 66 Votes
3. One Piece 974 - 62 Votes
4. Chainsaw Man 62 - 40 Votes

5. Act-Age 105 - 32 Votes
6. Kimetsu no Yaiba 198 - 29 Votes
7. Dr. Stone 143 - 26 Votes
8. Black Clover 243 - 22 Votes
9. Jujutsu Kaisen 99 - 19 Votes
10. Haikyuu!! 386 - 16 Votes
11. Mission: Yozakura Family 28 - 16 Votes
12. Mitama Security 29 - 16 Votes
13. Samurai 8: The Tale of Hachimaru 42 - 14 Votes
14. The Promised Neverland 171 - 13 Votes
15. Mashle 8 - 13 Votes
16. We Never Learn 151 - 9 Votes

17. Agravity Boys 13 - 5 Votes
18. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 199 - 2 Votes
19. ZIPMAN!! 14 - 1 Vote

20. Guardian of the Witch 7 - 1 Vote

Notes:

-49 Voters (7 excluded)
-Tied mangas decided by which is older
-Total number of votes is the combined between both polls
damn... UU being first is well deserved...
i think next chapter UU will cooldown,, but its UU, crazy shit always happen..
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
All this talk about “cannibalizing” reminds of a certain user who used to refer to that word all the time around here. I miss Sharky lads. This thread feels lonely without him.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are Yokazura Family and Mitama Security in the safe zone or can they still be cancelled
Yozakura is in a better situation but still depends on volume 2's sales. Mitama's in a pretty bad spot, unless WSJ wants it to stay depsite low sales.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
All this talk about “cannibalizing” reminds of a certain user who used to refer to that word all the time around here. I miss Sharky lads. This thread feels lonely without him.
I've a feeling he'll show up if Agravity gets the axe.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Yozakura is in a better situation but still depends on volume 2's sales. Mitama's in a pretty bad spot, unless WSJ wants it to stay depsite low sales.
I don't think there are any reasons to worry about yozakura. After all, the first volume had two reprints.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I've a feeling he'll show up if Agravity gets the axe.
about agravity, I was avoiding saying that because there was no sales of the first volume, but I think the reason for the low rank may be due to prejudice, after all there is a MC that can be considered homosexual.
Like Dr Stone, the manga sells badly because one of the authors is Korean.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
about agravity, I was avoiding saying that because there was no sales of the first volume, but I think the reason for the low rank may be due to prejudice, after all there is a MC that can be considered homosexual.
Like Dr Stone, the manga sells badly because one of the authors is Korean.
WHOA

That, uh, took quite a left turn.

Seriously, what the everlasting fuck makes you think either of those things!?

Also, Stone doesn't sell badly, what are you talking about.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I don't think there are any reasons to worry about yozakura. After all, the first volume had two reprints.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



about agravity, I was avoiding saying that because there was no sales of the first volume, but I think the reason for the low rank may be due to prejudice, after all there is a MC that can be considered homosexual.
Like Dr Stone, the manga sells badly because one of the authors is Korean.
Thinking about it. I think the low ranking is just simply due to the fact that it didn't resonate with the audience, not neccesarily a "prejudice". Still, it's too early to say anything because Vol 1 has yet to come out,but in the event that it does flop, i'll say that it might have been a better call had it been in one of Jump's more niche mags, SQ, Giga, etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top