Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,572
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
dont really know if trending on twitter is really that important at face value (you can trend on twitter with just 3K tweets if nothings going on...you can trend on twitter for 8+hours with >400K tweets, if you're Haikyuu ending... see the difference). No one said how many CSM got while it was trending so...
I don't get what's there to gain compairing the end of a manga that ran for 8 years and was highly popular and influent during its run to an up and coming manga (which, by the way, keeps getting bigger than other series that are much older) that has only been running for a bit over a year and half.

Or you could just wait for Chainsaw Man 8's sales next week and see for yourself how good its numbers are, no need to worry about trending topics then.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Togashi, easily. Outside of his great designs for main characters, I especially love the effort he puts into background characters. Like, look at this character sheet for the current HxH arc:



90% of these characters don't have any dialogue, but they're so well realized. And this is only one of dozens of several unique factions! It's really cool how much individuality these random background characters have.
Wasn't he trying to surpass Captain Tsubasa for having the most characters introduced in an arc? I agree though, Togashi has proved to be an incredible character designer.
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
Question for everyone.

In terms of character designs, which WSJ mangaka is your favorite?
Kubo by far. Then Toriyama, Oda, Araki, Inoue, Kazuki Takahashi and Horikoshi in no order.
Even though i don't really like MHA, Horikoshi's character designs are amazing. They are how i imagine modern Shonen designs should be.
Also Togashi has good designs but he has no sense regarding fashion / clothing which puts me off a quite a bit.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Have to say, if Miura Kouji is serialised (which is likely), it's gonna be annoying to distinguish him from the other Miura who did a Jump romance manga...
 

TheRealTravisty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2020
Messages
731
Reaction score
1,324
Age
39
Country
Canada
Question for everyone.

In terms of character designs, which WSJ mangaka is your favorite?
Horikoshi, easily. He's got such a wide variety of character designs. He's the first and only example that comes to mind at the moment.
 

Petko Metko

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 24, 2020
Messages
15
Reaction score
38
Age
27
Country
Serbia
Question for everyone.

In terms of character designs, which WSJ mangaka is your favorite?
Araki and Gotouge immediately come to my mind regarding character design.
From the current jump lineup, I think Horikoshi and Gege Akutami have the most recognizable designs. To me whenever I see the designs I just know it's them.

Ryo Fujisaki (Hoshin Engi) is also a favourite of mine. Although some may not like how he draws big shoes I find it quite unique.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Jojo has some really unique designs.
Oda has to get a mention just for the fact that he has been constantly creating new characters with interesting designs for 20 years now.

I feel like Horikoshi's designs are alright. Nothing to write home about, imo.

I'm shocked no one here mentioned Kubo.

Like, what the hell?
Kubo is great. Mayuri is indeed a REALLY unique design. The last arc also had some interesting designs.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Question for everyone.

In terms of character designs, which WSJ mangaka is your favorite?
Easily MHA. Character design is one of Horikoshi's biggest strengths imo. I can't think of any characters that look similar to each other apart from Shindou, who looks a bit like Deku. Every single character has distinctive looks up to the smallest details. Even the eye shape and colour are unique to each character. I can't think of any other manga that has distinctive character designs like that.

I hate it when I'm reading manga and I can't recognize a character, because there's two nearly identical looking characters or because the design is so bland that I forgot what the character looked like. MHA's character designs are so unique that I can even recognize characters that barely appear, because of the distinctive looks.

From the currently running series, I'd pick Act-Age in second for character designs. Pretty much all of them are on point. While there are some other good character designers like Oda, Boichi or Tabata, I still have certain issues with some of their character designs.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I know its WSJ but I would like to mention Kaku as well. I absolutely love Jigokuraku character designs. I may end up placing Kaku up there with Oda & Togashi if he keeps it up.

 
Last edited:

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Also, I'm surprised noone mentioned Kishimoto yet. Naruto definitely has some of my favourite character designs.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
I would say the big 3 have the best character designs I can think of and aside from them Horikoshi, Togashi, Araki and Hiroshi Shiibashi. Nurarihyon no mago had wonderful and diverse character designs and his art is amazing.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
The first 130 chapters of Food Wars have godly designs.
Kubo's design
JoJo part 5
 

Melvo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2020
Messages
77
Reaction score
190
Country
Spain
In terms of character designs, which WSJ mangaka is your favorite?
The first name to come in my mind is Koyoharu Gotôge, but master Toriyama is way above imo. Dragon Ball impressed me for its character designs.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,572
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I expected Ao no Hako to have a good reception because the one shot is really good even if just looking by the raw but surprised by the great reception, how ironic would be if Miura Kouji left Shonen Magazine, the romance mag, to actually make a hit with romance and sport on Shonen Jump? kkkkk

Looking forward for the potential serialization but ofc some changes will be made for the long run, if i remember well Sensei Sukidesu didn't have a "harem" but a main love triangle and i bet that will be the case here, also don't let the "shoujo-ish" art fool you, the author likes ecchi, nothing that lewd but definitely some hot shots.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I expected Ao no Hako to have a good reception because the one shot is really good even if just looking by the raw but surprised by the great reception, how ironic would be if Miura Kouji left Shonen Magazine, the romance mag, to actually make a hit with romance and sport on Shonen Jump? kkkkk

Looking forward for the potential serialization but ofc some changes will be made for the long run, if i remember well Sensei Sukidesu didn't have a "harem" but a main love triangle and i bet that will be the case here, also don't let the "shoujo-ish" art fool you, the author likes ecchi, nothing that lewd but definitely some hot shots.
Sooooooo basic standard with Magazine romance manga.

Not a problem there (I'd be a hypocrite complaining considering how many VNs I read), I just want to read a Jump romance manga which doesn't feel like someone endlessly chasing the legacy of To-Heart.

Be nice if the protagonist isn't a hetare as well.
 
Last edited:

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Wasn't he trying to surpass Captain Tsubasa for having the most characters introduced in an arc? I agree though, Togashi has proved to be an incredible character designer.
Yeah, said he considered the International Jr. Youth tournament to have the most named characters in WSJ history (I'm guessing Haikyuu's InterHigh and some One Piece arcs have broken that). He's at 150+ now.

 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Sooooooo basic standard with Magazine romance manga.

Not a problem there (I'd be a hypocrite complaining considering how many VNs I read), I just want to read a Jump romance manga which doesn't feel like someone endlessly chasing the legacy of To-Heart.

Be nice if the protagonist isn't a hetare as well.
Could you explain what you mean? I know what To-Heart is but have never heard people talk about it in reference to Jump before. Frankly as someone who has read some of both, I wouldn't really say Jump romcoms feel like galge.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top