Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

mangaman93

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Messages
25
Reaction score
46
Age
32
Country
India
People taking about higuma reminded me of this. What did you guys think of last saiyuki when it came out? I thought it had good potential and could have done much better in a different time (Maybe like now)
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well if i learned something with the western manga community since the start of Manga Plus is that many times too praised/overrated new series end up being failures while criticized/underrated series end up being popular or at least surviving more than normal, so i'm taking all the bs comments on M+ as something more positive than negative, because theres plenty of room to grow and surprise people but i agree that it would probably be better to follow the one shot.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
People taking about higuma reminded me of this. What did you guys think of last saiyuki when it came out? I thought it had good potential and could have done much better in a different time (Maybe like now)
I thought the intro's set-up and ideas were pretty cool, and the main two's relationship was interesting.

...but then the intro continued, and continued, and continued, and continued, and continued, and it took until the series was already dead before it finally stopped infodumping.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
People taking about higuma reminded me of this. What did you guys think of last saiyuki when it came out? I thought it had good potential and could have done much better in a different time (Maybe like now)
Possibly my favorite axed series in recent memory, I liked almost everything about it. The pacing bothered people, but I enjoyed the low-key beginning and how it helped the development of the bonds of the main characters, worked pretty well for me. My feelings are that it wouldn't really work in Jump, even now, but maybe in someplace like Sunday the structure would've worked better.
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
My rankings this week:

  1. Chainsaw Man: This chapter was SO SO SO good! I didn’t like last week’s chapter but this week the series was superb. Also, it reminds me of Undead Unluck hahaha
  2. One Piece: This chapter was SO good! It’s being so rewarding seeing all the conflicts in Wano coming into action! Oda nails mob battle so very well!
  3. Undead Unluck: Another cool chapter. Unexpected developments! This series is so good!
  4. Burn the Witch: I really liked this season’s ending and I’m looking forward for the next one!
  5. Jujutsu Kaisen: I want to see Mahito suffer. He’s such a good antagonist!

  6. Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin: This chapter was really cool and the series is getting better. I’m liking these fights
  7. Black Clover: Cool chapter transition chapter., building up to the invasion.
  8. Phantom Seer: I really liked this chapter. The series is getting a goal and the new characters are cool. The art is also so good!
  9. Moriking: This chapter reminded me of Act Age :(
  10. High School Family: This series is so ridiculous, I love it!
  11. Magu Chan: This new girl is so annoying
  12. Roboco and Me: I think this was Roboco best chapter so far. It really helps that Gachigorilla got so much screen time, as he’s the best character the series has.
  13. Mashle: I though this chapter was a little off, a little confusing

  14. Dr Stone: Fun chapter to read, but not much to comment
  15. Our Blood Oath: I expected a lot more from this series. The premise and its execution were lacking, to me, just as the art lacks refinement, too.
  16. Yozakura Family: The chapter was cute, until Taiyo Mary Sues everything again.
  17. Agravity Boys: Baseball chapter…
  18. Ayakashi Triangle: Maybe now the story is going forward…
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Well if i learned something with the western manga community since the start of Manga Plus is that many times too praised/overrated new series end up being failures while criticized/underrated series end up being popular or at least surviving more than normal, so i'm taking all the bs comments on M+ as something more positive than negative, because theres plenty of room to grow and surprise people but i agree that it would probably be better to follow the one shot.
I've noticed since manga+ started (especially since Stream died), the series that get the biggest audience in the west is whatever has the most intense or hotblooded first chapter and many's opinions don't change after ch 1 even if that was the only good chapter. It's all about the introduction, rather than the follow up.

Phantom Seer to me feels like the type that peaks on ch 1 and just repeats the same structure afterwards (it's already doing it), while Blood Oath feels more like the type where ch 1 maybe isn't the best but sets the scene for a great follow-up. They're both still very new though so who knows, maybe Phantom's going to shift direction and have a proper story and development and maybe Blood Oath will end up being episodic exorcising families the whole time.
 

KidaShikage

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 19, 2015
Messages
48
Reaction score
74
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
People taking about higuma reminded me of this. What did you guys think of last saiyuki when it came out? I thought it had good potential and could have done much better in a different time (Maybe like now)
It obviously had pace issues which led it to the axe, but I loved it. It was interesting, was developing stuff well and had good characters. Also, when I read the last chapter, I was thinking the author was trying to say "I had around 200 chapters of context ready in my head".
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I think the way Manga+ and Viz work though inherently will result in ch 1 being all the matters. If you read ch 1 on Manga+ and don't like it, there's no point in reading the future chapters (unless you like to read everything) since all the series are separate and you're not paying for it anyway.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I've noticed since manga+ started (especially since Stream died), the series that get the biggest audience in the west is whatever has the most intense or hotblooded first chapter and many's opinions don't change after ch 1 even if that was the only good chapter. It's all about the introduction, rather than the follow up.

Phantom Seer to me feels like the type that peaks on ch 1 and just repeats the same structure afterwards (it's already doing it), while Blood Oath feels more like the type where ch 1 maybe isn't the best but sets the scene for a great follow-up. They're both still very new though so who knows, maybe Phantom's going to shift direction and have a proper story and development and maybe Blood Oath will end up being episodic exorcising families the whole time.
That too, it's in fact funny reading the comments for chapter 3 of Phantom Seer, it's like TPG all over again "ohh this is so amazing, this will be a hit one day, this is goated and blah blah blah" while on Bokura the comments are such a mess for whatever reason, seriously, Bone Collection first chapter has most of the comments praising and saying it's promising while Bokura is such a bunch of bs comments about axe and even Jump not having standards lol (Ofc not all comments since there are positive ones but the overall tone is more definitely mixed to negative)
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I adore Mashle as a series but it needs to change things up now. The past few fights were good but it's getting stale at the moment.
It needs to switch things up away from the battle for at least a couple of chapters before returning to it again.

Solid chapter for BtW. The action was pure Kubo bliss. I really appreciate these long chapters because Kubo can go all ham on the battles without any limits. This short series with large page counts works for his style really well.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,601
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I adore Mashle as a series but it needs to change things up now. The past few fights were good but it's getting stale at the moment.
It needs to switch things up away from the battle for at least a couple of chapters before returning to it again.

Solid chapter for BtW. The action was pure Kubo bliss. I really appreciate these long chapters because Kubo can go all ham on the battles without any limits. This short series with large page counts works for his style really well.
Yeah, i was wondering if others were feeling too, the start of the manga feels like it was a such long time ago, the fights are cool but it feels like it's the same thing every week, wish the manga would go back a bit to the funny gags
 

Brizzi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2019
Messages
184
Reaction score
582
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I adore Mashle as a series but it needs to change things up now. The past few fights were good but it's getting stale at the moment.
It needs to switch things up away from the battle for at least a couple of chapters before returning to it again.

Solid chapter for BtW. The action was pure Kubo bliss. I really appreciate these long chapters because Kubo can go all ham on the battles without any limits. This short series with large page counts works for his style really well.
Yeah, I feel the same. And it feels like every chapter have the same structure of the good guys getting a power up suddenly. I mean, for a minute I thought that it was what happened in this week's chapter, as the pattern keeps repeating itself.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I adore Mashle as a series but it needs to change things up now. The past few fights were good but it's getting stale at the moment.
It needs to switch things up away from the battle for at least a couple of chapters before returning to it again.

Solid chapter for BtW. The action was pure Kubo bliss. I really appreciate these long chapters because Kubo can go all ham on the battles without any limits. This short series with large page counts works for his style really well.
I think the mashle author must think it wouldn't be interesting or manga to be purely comedy and decide to put more fights on. Personally I like it since almost half of the magazine is just comedy these days.
And this is so sick that I'm thinking of dropping Yozakura, because of the comedy.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I adore Mashle as a series but it needs to change things up now. The past few fights were good but it's getting stale at the moment.
It needs to switch things up away from the battle for at least a couple of chapters before returning to it again.

Solid chapter for BtW. The action was pure Kubo bliss. I really appreciate these long chapters because Kubo can go all ham on the battles without any limits. This short series with large page counts works for his style really well.
I think this chapter was pretty messy, the cool moments didn't really had any build-up or felt meaningful. I agree it would be good to be back to more gag focused moments, but i think the last two chapters weren't good regardless, the battle aspect still needs more work.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
People taking about higuma reminded me of this. What did you guys think of last saiyuki when it came out? I thought it had good potential and could have done much better in a different time (Maybe like now)
I loved the last saiyuki it's the first manga I got upset it got axe but it did had a two major problem too much info dumping in the beginning and the pacing was slow as dirt they was at the same location for 9 chapters
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
I agree this Mashle chapter was the worst of the recent battle-focused arc (though still decent overall) but I think the direction for the manga is good and hopefully continuing because it's proving popular. I was a big fan of the first volume worth of Mashle chapters but the comedy quickly grew stale (similar to how others are feeling about the action now). Hopefully the balance will even out in the end.

Seems like there's a divide in opinion between Phantom Seer and Our Blood Oath in how they've handled their respective starts. Since it's rare for multiple series in batch to become successes I don't expect both to survive in the long run so it'll be keen to see how they fair against one another. It's still early days but I'm firmly on Team Phantom Seer, if only for the level of polish it has (though the banter between the leads and the fantastic art are other reasons). Our Blood Oath's pacing was all over the place and the panelling wasn't as smooth but I'm open to seeing it improve.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,552
Reaction score
15,720
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Reminder Jump is coming out next week on Friday, so there is a slight chance we get some info on Tuesday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top