Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,382
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Dag

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 14, 2020
Messages
12
Reaction score
4
Country
Uchiha Clan
As controversial and debatable this always is, and I'm not even gonna bother about arguing it, Boruto's a disaster that has affected in a severe negative way Kishimoto's name. And actually, this shouldn't even be that up for debate, considering how much of a disaster its progress sales-wise is. Boruto was in a way Kishimoto's comeback, even if not directly involved, and if such a huge amount of the fanbase leaves throughout its run, then surely whatever comes next won't have the same decent reception Boruto initially had. And even less if it's such a mess as Samurai 8 was.
Talk about a bad take... I don’t come on here often, but I thought this place was largely devoid of the haughty arrogant know it all types that supposedly plague Twitter. I say supposedly because I don’t use Twitter, I only know hearsay. But it seems toxicity runs rampant everywhere. And I don’t see how Boruto ruined Kishi’s reputation. He created Naruto. No matter what happens, the fact will remain that he created one of the biggest juggernauts in the medium. Toriyama is doing fine. I don’t think Kishi has anything to worry about. Though, I can imagine he must’ve felt a bit sad after getting a passion project of sorts of his cancelled. I’ll never understand S8’s cancellation. I can only imagine it had too many people out for it from the start, with people (both fans and not of Naruto) not wanting it to become as big as Naruto. Ever since it’s left, I’ve found no enjoyment at all in the magazine. I’ve actually kinda just fell off of anime and the like entirety after that. Here’s hoping another series I enjoy pops up soon. Though, it seems unlikely with the direction the magazine is going in.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can only imagine it had too many people out for it from the start, with people (both fans and not of Naruto) not wanting it to become as big as Naruto.
This isn’t the case.

The majority of people just didn’t like it, period. There was no hidden agenda.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I’ll never understand S8’s cancellation.
- Overprinted volumes
- Overpromotion that didn't pay off
- Decreasing sales
- Bottom of the ToC for most of its run
- Info dump and relatively unpolished art that didn't please a considerable share of the readers

Here it's all laid out for you to understand.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
You think Kishimoto will ever return for a third attempt at a series?

I feel like he's kind of gathered a lot of negative attention and lack of faith from readers after how badly Samurai 8 failed, plus that was a big passion project he'd been planning out and hinting at for years, so I'm not sure if he'll try again (aside from maybe a mini-series).

It kind of feels like Kishi's at that point a bunch of old veteran authors hit where they tried their next big ideas, they didn't really work out, then they ended up just going back to make sequels and spin-offs of their old hit. But Kishi can't really start a new sequel since Bort already exist. A prequel could be possible though, like how Otokojuku did a big prequel series about Edajima.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Crap.. I had heard about Matsumoto-sensei's health but didn't think it could escalate like that, RIP..

And also, I don't believe in fate or karma or whatever you call it but it's almost freaking serendipitous that the day this sad event happens I finally get a refund from a Tezuka Kickstarter I backed like 3 years ago ... Said refund is exactly the amount needed to buy the full set of Kimagure Orange Road, also published by the same guys who couldn't fulfill the Tezuka title, DMP..

Basically what I'm trying to say is I got myself Kimagure Orange Road, just seems fit, and I have always wanted to read it, here's to you Matsumoto-Sensei, RIP.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I don’t know if Kishimoto will return specifically to WSJ. But I think he’ll come back eventually to either WSJ or Jump+.

I think whatever the case though, I doubt there will be much hype for any future he does. At most I can see it being announced similarly to Akira Asano’s new series. Just a subtle announcement and then dropped a week or 2 later(if Jump+), or if WSJ, it’ll just get the casual new series announcement in the magazine preview like every other new series.

Could also see him just doing One Shots and not making a full series until something catches on as a oneshot.
 

Archaon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2019
Messages
328
Reaction score
493
Age
30
Country
Vietnam
T can imagine he must’ve felt a bit sad after getting a passion project of sorts of his cancelled. I’ll never understand S8’s cancellation. I can only imagine it had too many people out for it from the start, with people (both fans and not of Naruto) not wanting it to become as big as Naruto. Ever since it’s left, I’ve found no enjoyment at all in the magazine. I’ve actually kinda just fell off of anime and the like entirety after that.
The thing about passion project is that sometime you can let your passion blindsided you about your work shortcoming. S8 have too much ideas that Kishi want to tell without consideration for the pacing or trying to simplify it. The fact that Jump over promoted it and treated as the next big thing while neglecting other series made people very hostile to it, especially when it can't live up to the hype and in fact quite mediocre. People don't like when Jump play favoritism just because it came from a famous author.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Shoseki Weekly Ranking - 10/5~10/11

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba 22
#2 The Promised Neverland 20
#3 Jujutsu Kaisen 13
#4 Burn the Witch 1
#5 Black Clover 26
#24 We Never Learn 19
#49 Ayakashi Triangle 1
#71 Mashle 3
#204 Agravity Boys 3

#41 Jujutsu Kaisen 1
#42 Jujutsu Kaisen 2
#47 Jujutsu Kaisen 3
#51 Jujutsu Kaisen 4
#52 Jujutsu Kaisen 6
#54 Jujutsu Kaisen 12
#57 Jujutsu Kaisen 7
#59 Jujutsu Kaisen 5
#60 Jujutsu Kaisen 8
#61 Jujutsu Kaisen 9
#63 Jujutsu Kaisen 10
#64 Jujutsu Kaisen 11
#73 Jujutsu Kaisen 0

30位26500/50位22000/100位9200/200位3700/300位2650/400位2100/500位1700
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
On the bright side, we should be getting some LTDs for JJK this week with some volumes making top50. On the other hand, at this rate the top50 is just gonna be KnYJJK & friends in the coming weeks lmao.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Talk about a bad take... I don’t come on here often, but I thought this place was largely devoid of the haughty arrogant know it all types that supposedly plague Twitter. I say supposedly because I don’t use Twitter, I only know hearsay. But it seems toxicity runs rampant everywhere. And I don’t see how Boruto ruined Kishi’s reputation. He created Naruto. No matter what happens, the fact will remain that he created one of the biggest juggernauts in the medium. Toriyama is doing fine. I don’t think Kishi has anything to worry about. Though, I can imagine he must’ve felt a bit sad after getting a passion project of sorts of his cancelled. I’ll never understand S8’s cancellation. I can only imagine it had too many people out for it from the start, with people (both fans and not of Naruto) not wanting it to become as big as Naruto. Ever since it’s left, I’ve found no enjoyment at all in the magazine. I’ve actually kinda just fell off of anime and the like entirety after that. Here’s hoping another series I enjoy pops up soon. Though, it seems unlikely with the direction the magazine is going in.
Not sure why it's hard to understand that the milking of the franchise that Kishimoto made can affect his reputation especially when it's acting like a direct sequel.
Just like how spin offs can positively affect the main title (and Kishi's reputation), it can also negatively impact the main title.

About S8s cancellation, others have already answered that.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Shoseki Weekly Ranking - 10/5~10/11

#1 Kimetsu no Yaiba 22
#2 The Promised Neverland 20
#3 Jujutsu Kaisen 13
#4 Burn the Witch 1
#5 Black Clover 26
#24 We Never Learn 19
#49 Ayakashi Triangle 1
#71 Mashle 3
#204 Agravity Boys 3

#41 Jujutsu Kaisen 1
#42 Jujutsu Kaisen 2
#47 Jujutsu Kaisen 3
#51 Jujutsu Kaisen 4
#52 Jujutsu Kaisen 6
#54 Jujutsu Kaisen 12
#57 Jujutsu Kaisen 7
#59 Jujutsu Kaisen 5
#60 Jujutsu Kaisen 8
#61 Jujutsu Kaisen 9
#63 Jujutsu Kaisen 10
#64 Jujutsu Kaisen 11
#73 Jujutsu Kaisen 0

30位26500/50位22000/100位9200/200位3700/300位2650/400位2100/500位1700
Ayakashi will probably rank in Oricon, even though it could be out, but it's 100% safe sales-wise.

MASHLE manages to reach around 15-16k, putting Volume 3 at almost the same amount of copies Volume 2 had, which is nice considering this latter one had 3 days less first week. It also keeps pulling both Volume 1 and 2 in weekly, this becoming the 10th week in a row MASHLE Volume 2 ranks in Shoseki.

AGRAVITY BOYS, as nobody could have ever predicted (/s), reaches 9k copies with this second week and we won't probably even get monthly for this volume, so yeah, as stagnant and depressive as always.

Nothing else did rank, not even Moriking, so welp.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,553
Reaction score
11,291
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Not sure why it's hard to understand that the milking of the franchise that Kishimoto made can affect his reputation especially when it's acting like a direct sequel.
Just like how spin offs can positively affect the main title (and Kishi's reputation), it can also negatively impact the main title.
We could do the same thing as Dragon Ball then, but I don't think Tory's reputation has been damaged.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Speaking of Toriyama. Jeeeez that new DBS chapter leaks. Toyotaro is such an awful writer.
DBS wasn’t necessarily a masterpiece whenever Toriyama was writing, but if Toyotaru takes over the franchise, which seems to be like it’ll be the case, I could seriously see rep for DB dropping.... or not, there are those ppl who still watch DB and nothing but DB. But still
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
notice how Ayakashi Triangle made it to the preview where series that are older than it didn't
I think Yozakura and Agravity boys are not so popular as to appear in this preview.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
It's really heartwarming seeing all the effort put into this. To sum up, they got all 546 entries and made a picture to use in last week's Color Page. They also confirm they received international and even 5-year-old readers submissions.

 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think Yozakura and Agravity boys are not so popular as to appear in this preview.
I think it spoils that AT is part of the next boost campagin
shame they didn't spoil the other one and didn't add any new series, my money is still on Roboco

btw, speaking of GIGA the colored preview for Autumn issue is up

poor Tanaka Seiji author didn't even get a color page for his return meanwhile Beast Children author got a lead color
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top