Toc really doesn't mean shit anymore huh
Not a bad start to Cop and Dolphin tbh
idk, his headand hair feels way too big for his body. Like some sort of Komatsu/Quasimodo hybrid.
Then again, I feel UxU has similar issues with proportions with every single character and its successful so maybe if the rest of the cast has better designs it'll offset that.
I still wonder if the niche it's going towards isn't already being covered by existing series though.
UxU and M&R both have that retro 80s aesthetic and character designs so those attracted to that may already have their votes set to those series. Meanwhile, series like Black Clover, Dr. Stone, Yozakura Family, Mashle, and Magu-chan are seemingly already consolidating the votes of much younger readers so it's already really competitive in the area.
Plus, I'm not sure who the series is really for. The general premise and one-shot definitely seems geared towards a younger audience. Moreso Takeshi demo geared than Toriko which iirc had a higher number of older Jump readers in that big survey from like 10 years ago discussing Jump demographics and how series do amongst different genders and ages. I'd love to see a new one of those in a few years once the magazine has a stable established lineup.
I'm also not sure kids will really go for Shima's art. M&R doesn't suffer because it's so clean and uncluttered, however Shima can't really have that argued for him even if his art is incredible. I have doubts the series will do well with older readers in the Jump demographic, unless they're already existing fans of Shima.