Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
One Piece will be in New York Times newspaper!!

A website opened up for the worldwide popularity poll.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@redon

Please post an English summary of that message Oda did for chapter 1000.
 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
What's up with Black Clover on mangaplus?
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Very strong Jump week. Build King has been amazing for me yet it ranks 11th since this Jump issue was really strong. Special kudos to My Hero Academia and Jujutsu Kaisen.

My rank:

My Hero Academia
Jujutsu Kaisen
Mission of Yozakura Family
Sakamoto Days
Undead Unluck
One Piece
Black Clover
Magu-chan
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle
Build King
Honomieru Shonen
Me and Roboco
Dr.Stone
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Cop and Dolphin
Highschool Family
Our Blood Oath
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Phantom Seer has another great chapter. Now I’m full beg it survives. I don’t want to be crushed the same way I did with Double Arts :emocat
 

Ike79

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Messages
120
Reaction score
372
Country
Spain
Agravity Boys ended with a bang. An emotional conclusion that didn´t betray the series absurd comedic tone. It truly only got funnier and funnier. It was also nice seeing all the side characters one last time.

Looking forward to the epilogue, which I guess will deal with the time machine journey.
 

Teennitro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2019
Messages
611
Reaction score
879
Age
30
Country
Fire Nation
Agravity Boys is trending on Twitter
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Ruru and her mom have such a great bond with each other, and Magu-chan meshes very well with their overall vibe. I was happy to see all of them getting along so well. I'll be crushed if volume 2 doesn't show any sales improvement, but I'm excited for next issue's CP.
2. Undead Unluck - Great chapter this week. Victor exhibiting some character growth and revealing some more backstory were both very enjoyable to see.
3. Mission: Yozakura Family - This chapter was both cute and made me more curious about what Tanpopo is brewing next. I really wish they would add more stock on Amazon.
4. Mashle - The board game parts were funny, the battle was alright, but the reason this is ending up so high is purely from Finn this chapter. I can't wait to see how he's going to play into the main plot from now on.
5. Me & Roboco - Another solid chapter of Roboco. I read a lot of axebait, so I did have to look up who some of those people were during the chapter to get the full picture of the joke lol.

The best of the rest:
6. Moriking - I'm a bit sad for all of the potential this exhibited at the beginning, but conceptually speaking, I think the author kind of wrote himself into a corner right from the get-go. Either way, maybe the author will have better luck in Jump+ like several other axed authors from WSJ's past.
7. Sakamoto Days - The chapter itself was alright, but I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the direction the series wants to take. The first chapter was a banger, but each subsequent chapter hasn't been as funny or interesting.
8. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - An alright chapter overall. A little funny at parts, but nothing spectacular.
9. Ayakashi Triangle - The chapter itself was a bit boring, but the art was top-notch as usual.
10. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - I feel like this author struggles with serious moments. Maybe it's just that the Hungry Marie girl was just introduced so I don't care much about what happens to her, but I feel zero stakes right now in this fight.
11. Build King - The girl and the Batt family are much better than the current cast of MCs. I just don't find either of the main boys likeable.
12. Agravity Boys - Peace out Agravity Boys. Hopefully the epilogue will actually touch upon resolving the main premise of the series, unlike whatever this sudden, unnecessary diversion was supposed to be.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright, the first half of the chapter didn't do much for me but it was at least nice to see the bad guys show up in the back half

So Agravity comes to an end. It's a series that I have enjoyed since it's beginning, though I'm not too sad about it going as I've braced myself for it's end for a while, with it's sales and popularity being what it is and all. I'm glad that it managed to remain pretty consistently funny (aside from two notable arcs that missed the mark) and stick to it's guns up until the very end, ending on a pretty solid note. Only thing I wish was that it dealt with the time travel stuff, but I suppose that's for the epilogue chapter

Undead was great and a satisfying conclusion to this arc with some spreads that really impressed me

Mashle was pretty good, the gag bits were really funny and I'm really loving the group dynamic. Action parts were alright but not as good as the comedy

Moriking should hopefully end next week, I'm somewhat interested in what'll happen so maybe it can do a decent ending after boring me for a while

Ayakashi was good, nice to see Reo again

Magu was heartwarming as usual, and I liked Magu and the mom's dynamic

Dolphin was surprisingly pretty good after not doing much for me the past few chapters. I seem to enjoy it the most when it does stuff involving the ocean and the mysteries around it

Roboco was incredible, another great self-referential manga chapter. Loved the bits with Oda, and it was funny to see Roboco not learning and still plagiarizing

Phantom was pretty good, solid stuff

HSF was as good as usual, I liked the gag at the very end but otherwise nothing too noteworthy for me

I really want Blood Oath to end this batch but at the rate it's going it looks like it wont. So just more characters being launched at the wall at mach speed and more edgy nonsense

Build King was great and probably my favorite of it so far, genuinely looking forward to next chapter

Sakamoto was also my favorite in a while, now that it's got it's main cast set up I'm excited for what it does next. As some people have said before, it has a dynamic very similar to Gintama

OP, Dr Stone, and JJK were all great. OP 1000 was everything I wanted it to be and I can't wait for what comes next in the arc. So much to speculate on.
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
So why the heck is black clover in another language in manga plus?
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
Overall a pretty disappointing issue to kick off 2021 - it wasn't necessarily bad but comparing my scores to last issue almost every series bar three (High School Family, Dr. Stone, and Moriking) had weaker chapters than they did last week. That being said, I'm glad One Piece was the best this week with its 1000th chapter. There were nice moments throughout but the final few pages and that line for Luffy was just what we deserved. Can't wait to see how the Wano arc now goes from this to its conclusion. I also loved the One Piece parody in Me & Roboco - it wasn't the funniest chapter but all the scenes with Oda were on point. The Shokugeki no Sanji special was also pretty fun and I'm sure would make many a Zoro/Sanji shipper happy (aided much by Shun Saeki's interpretations of Sanji and Zoro being extra attractive).

My Hero Academia had a nice wrap-up to the arc, while Undead Unluck and Black Clover remain the most consistently fun battle series to read as of late. Phantom Seer also had my attention a bit more this time than it has with this current arc. Magu-chan is also the best its ever been thanks to not trying so hard with all the recurring gags with the supporting cast (who I frankly don't care for) and instead showing the heartwarming moments between Ruru and her mother and how Magu fits into that dynamic. Agravity Boys concluded with a weird but still amusing ending - I'm glad it's getting an epilogue to hopefully give more closure to the story at large because this does feel like just another ridiculous chapter and that another is coming next week. On the topic of endings, Moriking is as good as gone next week; this (presumably) penultimate chapter was pretty solid but would have been more impactful had the series lasted longer until this point.

As for disappointments... I feel like I should be loving what Jujutsu Kaisen is doing but I hate to say I can barely follow what's happening; the panelling remains as confusing as ever, and having inner monologues from characters when it isn't clear who is talking at first is just poor work (and happens throughout the series). The power system continues to escalate but I've been lost for a long time in trying to understand it at this point. The action is still fun - which is mainly why I've enjoyed the Shibuya arc overall - but there's so much I'm missing that 134 chapters in that I don't think I'm ever going to 'get'. Mission: Yozakura Family also fell in my estimations this week thanks to the first half of the chapter being unfunny gags once again, but the hints of what's to come with the upcoming clash gives me hope.

All that being said, here's my ranking of everything compared to last week:
  1. ( - ) One Piece
  2. (+1) My Hero Academia
  3. (-1) Me & Roboco
  4. ( - ) Undead Unluck
  5. ( - ) Black Clover
  6. (+2) Phantom Seer
  7. (-1) Sakamoto Days
  8. (+2) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  9. (+2) Agravity Boys (END)
  10. (+4) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  11. ( - ) Food Wars! Shokugeki no Sanji (Special Chapter)
  12. (+1) Mashle
  13. (-4) Jujutsu Kaisen
  14. (+2) Dr. Stone
  15. (-3) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  16. (-9) Mission: Yozakura Family
  17. ( - ) The Promised Neverland (Special Chapter)
  18. (+1) Moriking
  19. (-2) Build King
  20. ( - ) Our Blood Oath
  21. (-3) Ayakashi Triangle
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
OP: 1000 chapters! Might also be the 100th time Luffy announced he will become King of the Pirates (like how would that actually work if you think about it, given pirates being all scattered through-out the world and generally lawless, etc, yeah yeah, I know it's just a title, but still xD) but man, did he do so with a heavy hit!
I reallly liked the ex chapter, reminded me of the good old times when the Strawhats were still young and innocent. Their styles have changed so much since the timeskip or even a bit before that.

MHA: Not a victory but also no real defeat, just real ugliness of "war". I really liked the nameless hero saying he gonna look for a new line of work. Might have had more impact with someone we knew but finally we got someone who breaks at the superhero business not always being shiny TV time and money and cheering fans but also scary, deadly and soul crushing despairing. Also Rip to someone I will not name but miss a lot, was a good character.

JjK: Ain't family lovely?^^;

DS: Man, they are really rushing through that jungle, that ending though... I am really curious about the explanation for that one.

M&R: Ruri is the 2nd best character to me after her big brother. The whole Gachi family is just so precious, it's insane. <3 The cameos of Horikoshi and Oda were great, I wonder what they said or what kinda expressions they made when they got asked if it was okay to use their avatars in this series. XD
Roboco still got a long way to become a mangaka on her own.

BC: Not reading.

BK: I liked this chapter but how exactly does this whole Virtality thing work with the hammer? Like this looks bloody serious, no joke. I'd call an ambulance and stop him if I were watching him.

Mashle: Somehow I found those times with all those edgy guys talking and doing shit pretty boring while the real star of the show is not smashing things or opponents or common sense and just rolls dice... also those "lines" are that bloody when you get them?!? O.o (ten bucks on there being ultra rare 4 liners or whatever)

M:YF: Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, it was cute, he seriously should make a series with children as main characters next, but it also was quite lame. :/

SD: Cool, that was a pretty cool guy, the new one, hope it wasn't the last we saw him. Sakamoto's shot panel was really nice too. Just wish the art was a bit cleaner cause it feels very messy somehow, a bit smudged. Well, so much for Sakamoto's plans to lay low, family time next chapter, hell yeah, I was waiting for that part for a while! <3

Magu-chan: Mom calling the god of destruction delicious and Magu going into a melt-down, hoh boy, that was fun. xD A good mom, sad we probably won't see or hear much from her after this little arc.

UU: Again, another turn of the story telling I did not expect. It does fit to Izumo's character. Also edgy much, Victhor? What are you, a teen in his emo phase? Some really sick double page spreads in here, a nice character growth for Victhor as well as Izumo's Unluck starting to evolve. Which it honestly had to, because if you can't kill them what is the next best worst thing you can do?

AT: Suzu actually being right and actually having a real rival for dense Matsuri was a bit of a surprise to me. I thought she was just paranoid but here she was right on the money. Girl better look out or else there might be some "improvements" that Suzu won't like happening.

HBC&D: Gotta say, the captain got more of Hilda's cool aura than Marie from the previous axed series got. But man, you can't just be just cool, the coolness from Hilda came because it clashed with her love and devotion for Beel-sama as well as her clumsy side or her stubborn side. Then again the captain gotta have time to show similar sides to her as well. The cop and the dolphin should look out else they might be replaced as Main characters.

TPN: Was okay.

HSF: Mom and Dad putting in the real hard work and what did they got for it? Nothing but praise and a good knowledge of how to speak English.

PS: Aw, come on, guys~ Oh well, better a compromise than talk-jut-su I guess, but still...

OBO: I know some fictional characters who will rage a lot when this gets to chapter 19. It gonna be a glorious Salt-festival. xD

AB: Cya boys. Really wish you were trending in sales and not on twitter. So in the end it was all Baba, after all. Hope the epilogue brings some closure to the whole saving earth stuff.

Moriking: Good riddance, it is almost over. Just one more chapter and we get some more space for new series besides the one replacing AB.

WT: Shouldn't that one be uploaded today as well?
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
BK chapter was ok, I'm glad the whole upside-down castle issue was resolved quickly and wasn't dragged out, I finally found a difference with Toriko, the blood, giant veins and muscles scenes feels kinda outta of place in BK universe

Sakamoto is entertaining, and this time 2 characters from the first chapter lead spread shows up
I'm worried about the direction this series is going
opposite of the typical WSJ mc, Sakamoto have achieved everything he dreams of, so where do we go from here?
I guess the selling point of this series is going to be how creative and entertaining the fights scenes are going to be
 
Last edited:

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The Sanji oneshot was really enjoyable, I really wish we had more like it. Get some authors to make stuff with the One Piece world and characters, there's so much potential.

The One Piece chapter itself was great, and it's kinda touching to see this milestone, and all the projects and celebrations. My favorite series in the line-up, and I'm ready for however many more are left!

Besides that, it was a ok week. Boku no Hero was good, Magu-chan was great, Roboco was a lot of fun for me as an OP fanboy. The rest wasn't very special. Didn't like the last chapter of Agravity, but I didn't enjoy the series at all, so I can't really judge how it hit for the fans.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top