Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion | Page 429 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion

Which of the new series you're most excited for? (You can vote in 2 series at most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ViraXVtuber

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The new thread will only open some hour after midnight so there's plenty of time to make your comments, i wish we could push to finish the thread with 430 pages tho :p

Btw, forgot to mention amazing chapters for PPPPPP and Yozakura Family. Great chapter for HSF, i think this chapter of Ginka & Glüna is probably showing signs of being safe, and yeah, i'm feeling TDBS is going to get axed, the author is just introducing new girls non stop.
Ok good to know, I’ll be making some predictions very soon.
Alright Thoughts- Ichinose Deadly Sins: I really liked the chapter, I know people said it’s unrealistic or very misery pxrn, but I think it does represent how people with switch on things really quickly like trends or news.
One day its Tsubasa, then the next it’s Nakajima.
It shows how peoples attentions spans are short that we have to constant switch to the next thing to satisfy some sick sense of boredom.]
Especially loved how Tsubasa wasnt so forgiving as I thought he would be, his twisted joy to see his bully suffering made my jaw drop.
It was very dark that made me want more.
To now know he’s gaining his memories back through tragedy makes the payback on his bully even more satisfying

Cypher Academy- Wow for the secound chapter it really had a lot of twists and turns that peaks curiosity. Seeing what really is unfolding and the real goals of the other students creates for new potential for the new characters that will show up in the next few chapters. The puzzles are still confusing, but overall still worth it.

ichigoki Under Control: I think I’m might be the minority on this, even so I actually enjoyed it. Even when it had very typical jokes, the delivery was actually funny for once. This is the only Gag in jump rn that made me laugh. I don’t have to many expectations-nevertheless I think it will be an enjoyable read.

Demon Birde- yeshhh this is not good. I was rooting for it before, it’s just now I don’t know what this manga is supposed to be anymore. Is it action-barely has any in it as all the fights are so short, Romance-Nothing that’s interesting like blue box atm. It just a comedy that can barley even count as a action comedy. Now with another new girl it’s like they don‘t know how to keep it interesting besides adding a new character ever other chapter.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The comments about Ichigoki on Manga Plus couldn't be more predictable, literally the same comments just different gag series :grin

Ok good to know, I’ll be making some predictions very soon.
Just to remember, predictions for 2023 is in the new thread.

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Yeah, I also have issue with how the class and bully work in a classroom got portrait. Like as a teachers, that not how kids or teenagers act. They more often than not form their own social circles in their class. When bullying happen, most groups don't care or act indifferent toward both parties because most of them don't want to get into trouble. Also trends don't even work that fast because most students have different interests, not all of them actually care about social media or trends in the same rate.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
For me another strange thing about the manga is that the author is so in the way of the harem but the manga doesn't have an ecchi scene
True, it really lacks fanservice to make things more interesting, the author actually seems to purposedly go the other way, i thought it had potential in the 1st chapter, Keroru was pretty hot, but he completely nerfed the character after that, he's creating a harem but there's no spicy scenes or interactions in the manga, it feels more like the purpose of the girls is only to be the butt of the joke or make Manaka jealous

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sorry i'm just not feeling Ichinose, the first chapter was amazing, the 2nd super predictable but still okay, this one is just nonsensical, so Tsubasa just stand up for himself, says a bunch of mean stuff, run away and in the next day the class for whatever reason turn a 180 and start bullying the other kid? also what the hell is wrong with these kids? that's not how bullying works Taizan5, you don't have the entire classroom and even others simply bullying a single person and in the next day turning against another single person for "reasons", that makes no sense, also, does this school has teachers, a director, or any adult working there? how these kids do all these fancy and nasty bullying inside the class and no one notices anything? sorry, the entire thing is just too forced to my taste, there's no nuance, the author is just forcing a reaction. I hope we move to the next member and get something more interesting.

Cipher Academy is the same from last week, i think is fine, not bad at all so far, but i don't know about the real chances of surviving on Jump, maybe Nisio fans will carry the series with volume sales.

Ichigoki was basically the typical first chapter of a gag series, they're never the funniest ones, it's all about the next chapters where the author presents the cast of characters and their interactions. Still, wasn't bad and the end was really funny kkk.
Yeah, I also have issue with how the class and bully work in a classroom got portrait. Like as a teachers, that not how kids or teenagers act. They more often than not form their own social circles in their class. When bullying happen, most groups don't care or act indifferent toward both parties because most of them don't want to get into trouble. Also trends don't even work that fast because most students have different interests, not all of them actually care about social media or trends in the same rate.
do you want realism?

Well I didn't see you guys complaining about Ruri dragon having burned a classmate in the first chapter and nothing happened in the following chapters.

It's true that in real life bullying is not repeated like that, but if it's the author's choice, it shows that the gang is a bunch of people who don't do well, that's how he worked.

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
do you want realism?

Well I didn't see you guys complaining about Ruri dragon having burned a classmate in the first chapter and nothing happened in the following chapters.

It's true that in real life bullying is not repeated like that, but if it's the author's choice, it shows that the gang is a bunch of people who don't do well, that's how he worked.
I just feel like it's too much to the point it's hard to take the subject matter serious anymore. Basically there is a tipping point for suspension of disbelief and the story so far just cross over that.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
do you want realism?

Eh, you're comparing a cute slice of life about a half dragon girl with a (so far) realistic drama series, not the best comparison Stivie, i get that you're saying "it's a manga", but my problem is that the way the author is portraying bullying here doesn't make sense, specially the super sudden 180 by the entire classroom, it just seems like everybody, including the mc, is a unlikable bully for no reason.

lurkerlark

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I'm really hoping the theory that the Ichinose family are actually in hell after dying in the accident or having a shared dream of hell is true because then the over the top bullying would actually make sense. I think most of problem with Ichinose Family comes from my personal expectations, to be honest. I get what Taizan5 was going for but it's just too much for me. It might be because I binge-read Takopii after it ended that I was still okay with it. But it might also be because I had already read Takopii that seeing kids suffer excessively like this that I'm not as fond of Ichinose Family.

Ravellino

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
True, it really lacks fanservice to make things more interesting, the author actually seems to purposedly go the other way, i thought it had potential in the 1st chapter, Keroru was pretty hot, but he completely nerfed the character after that, he's creating a harem but there's no spicy scenes or interactions in the manga, it feels more like the purpose of the girls is only to be the butt of the joke or make Manaka jealous
yeah the nerf was real on Keroru.
And there was also the Tanuki girl who would have been a good opportunity to let things go further

Giblow_20

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Cipher Academy: The author and artist have good chemistry, the artist compliments the bizarre worldbuilding/characters well. Cipher in this chapter was ok and author covered the MC's 'cheating' well by explaining that he is still technically solving the puzzles by himself. Mention of the metaverse feels a bit like the author wanting to throw whatever trendy modern tech into the manga as possible. The bitcoin treasure hunt is a good goal tho

Ichinose: Again I don't see the issue with using exaggeration to get emotional responses from readers, I think the only sort of nuanced thing we have in the magazine atm would be PPPPPP. Idk japanese schools that well at all but when has bullying ever been anything but over the top in manga/anime? Even manga like A Silent Voice expect you to believe an entire class horribly bullies a deaf girl and then instantly turns on the MC later on. Other manga have raw food in shoes, scribbles on desk etc and none of the class interferes. I think it's fair to be annoyed Taizan is leaning too much on story beats they're familiar with, but we still have the rest of the family to explore. I like the idea of the past and present memories creating their own personalities in the bodies but hopefully it doesn't go too sci-fi/fantasy and stays grounded as a mystery/thriller.

Ichigoki: Cute art and characters, comedy was pretty good, doesn't make me roll my eyes every 2 seconds like Jimoto. I'm in

For me another strange thing about the manga is that the author is so in the way of the harem but the manga doesn't have an ecchi scene
it's weird, a harem that clearly has only one contender and there is always slight fake tension with the new girls. Idk what the author is going for

Teennitro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I just feel like it's too much to the point it's hard to take the subject matter serious anymore. Basically there is a tipping point for suspension of disbelief and the story so far just cross over that.
Yeah I can agree with this it was jarring after one day the class quickly started picking on the other kid

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Eh, you're comparing a cute slice of life about a half dragon girl with a (so far) realistic drama series, not the best comparison Stivie, i get that you're saying "it's a manga", but my problem is that the way the author is portraying bullying here doesn't make sense, specially the super sudden 180 by the entire classroom, it just seems like everybody, including the mc, is a unlikable bully for no reason.
Yes, I want some consistency for ruri dragon, just like you're demanding realism for ichinose family, after all it's a girl who set a room on fire, at least half the room was afraid of the girl. And look, I've seen many works where bullying was portrayed and some were exaggerated yes.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yes, I want some consistency for ruri dragon, just like you're demanding realism for ichinose family, after all it's a girl who set a room on fire, at least half the room was afraid of the girl. And look, I've seen many works where bullying was portrayed and some were exaggerated yes.
What inconsistency there is in Ruri Dragon? Ruri's fire sneeze was addressed in the entire 2nd and 3rd chapter, in the end everything was fine and no one was in fear of Ruri, just curiosity, it wasn't that much of a big deal.

shonenblue

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
I’m going to start doing more in-depth thoughts on the chapters I read every week next issue in the 2023 thread, but I will agree with most people here that PPPPPP this week was absolutely stellar & series-changing. Mapollo 3 is a gem. I also especially enjoyed Hunter x Hunter, Mission: Yozakura Family, and Sakamoto Days.

For the less positive - I continue to be wholly unimpressed with the new batch, and sadly I doubt I’ll continue any of them. They aren’t particularly interesting to me, but I’m glad to see that some of you are enjoying them!

Here’s to a great year of Jump!:celebrate

PhinKin

Reaction score
Country
United States
It has definitely been an interesting year for Shonen Jump, but also a fun one. To end this year, I'm just going to leave my general and completely random thoughts on each series that I read and how I thought they performed. Before that though, hats off to everyone that contributes to the discussion on this thread. I don't post a whole lot, but I lurk and enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on these great (and sometimes not-so-great) stories lol. Thank you!

One Piece - Oda is a beast. I don't know how else to say it. At the start of 2022, we were deep into the Wano arc, and everyone always gets fatigued when we're in the midst of the longer arcs. Despite the ending that most felt was a little anticlimactic at the time, I think the arc concluded in good shape. Since moving on from Wano though, we've got to witness a re-invigorated story with some of the best world-building payoffs and reveals we've seen thus far. It truly feels like we're entering the final saga, and Oda's doing an incredible job tying everything together. I love seeing the payoff of the world truly treating the Straw Hats like the yonko crew that they are now. Egghead Island and the reveal of Vegapunk and his research have been a blast to read, and I can't wait for the next chapter every week. So we end out the year with One Piece being my most anticipated series moving into 2023 for what I can only assume will be a crazy year for the story.
MHA - My beloved problem child. MHA has a special place in my heart because it's essentially the series that got me into reading manga back in 2014. Although I still am excited for every new chapter that comes out and am still invested in the world and characters, I can't help but feel that 2022 made the series feel like one of untapped potential. I've posted about how I felt like the series was rushed and corners were cut after the end of the Liberation War arc, and I still think that has continued into this final arc. I don't dislike the series, but it seems like there's always one bad plot decision to complement every good one and it still feels like Horikoshi wants it to be over sooner rather than later even if the story could use more time to breathe. Now that we're in the middle of the final confrontations though, I think things have been moving along well. Seeing the matured Izuku going up against Shigaraki has been fun (despite me still being upset that Izuku learned most of his other quirks off-screen). I also think the characters that Horikoshi has given the chance to shine have had good moments. I'm curious how this will all wrap up next year and am hoping for a satisfying conclusion to what I still believe is a good story overall.
Black Clover - Black Clover is and always will be a fun example of a good old-fashioned shonen battle manga and it still hits that mark. The final fight with Lucifero in the Spade Kingdom arc was lackluster, but all the other fights were really fun to read. I'm still hoping that the final arc lasts a little longer than it probably is, but the series has always been fast past. I was hoping there would be more room for world-building in the Land of the Sun and beyond, but it seems like it's just being used as a different training spot for Asta to receive another power-up like the Heart Kingdom was. We'll see if it finishes next year, but I could see it lasting until early 2024 if it wants every character to have their big moments.
Jujutsu Kaisen - Fights, fights, and more fights. The Culling Game has been a tournament of great ones and I'm here for it. There was a moment after the Hakari vs Kashimo battle and we moved on to what Maki was doing where I got a little tired of the constant fights with not a whole lot of progress made to the story itself, but everything was still very entertaining. As far as battle manga go, Akutami knows how to build hype for characters, and seeing Yuta, Hakari, and now Yuki step foot on the battlefield has been extremely satisfying. It seems like we're moving onto the final phase of the arc though, so I'm excited to see how it all ends and what the next arc will be as we head toward the conclusion of the story. Hopefully, we still have another full year of JJK being in the magazine at least.
Akane Banashi - The surprise hit of 2022, Akane Banashi does everything right in my book. For me, it's been like the spiritual successor of Act Age that the magazine really needed, especially since it's acting as the spokon of Jump right now too. The art is amazing, all the characters are well-written, and all the obstacles that Akane has to overcome are handled well from a writing perspective. The fact that most of us in the west weren't familiar with Rakugo at all before reading the story, and are now so invested in the series is proof of its quality.
Undead Unluck - Fuuko's all "grown up" and I couldn't be happier with how Tozuka is writing this final arc so far. I was worried that the events of the loop would be relegated to a montage-esque couple of chapters before the ending, but now that we're getting a full arc, I couldn't be happier. This is definitely the most underrated series right now in terms of sales and I really want to see that change after the anime airs. The story, characters, and power system/fights, are way too good for fans of the genre to turn a blind eye to. Hopefully, Tozuka can keep up the consistency and bring us home to an epic conclusion.
Sakamoto Days - Over the course of 2022, Sakamoto has turned into one of my favorites in the magazine, and I don't really know why. Its obvious appeal is the insanely good choreography and art for the fight scenes, but the series has an undeniable charm overall. With most of the battle manga coming to an end within the next year or so, I can definitely see this being a big pillar of jump moving forward after MHA, JJK, and BC (and maybe One Piece?) are gone.
Mashle - I've always had a good time with this series. Its humor has always been amusing and the art has improved drastically since chapter 1, but my overall excitement has died down. I don't have too much to say about it. But at this point in time, I am ready for Mash to come back into the story.
Elusive Samurai - I don't have too much to say about this one either. I haven't read up on the actual history of the story, so I don't know where we fall in that timeline, but we're making the long push to take down the Ashikaga. So far, it has handled all of the battles and tactics well. Originally, I thought this would be a longer-running series even though Matsui has a track record of writing more concise stories, but it seems like this one will stick to that. I'm guessing a 2024 end.
Witch Watch - I don't read any other comedy at the moment (unless you count Mashle), but Witch Watch has been thoroughly enjoyable this year. Like Gintama, I like the humor of it, but it also does well when it gets serious as we've seen with this most recent arc. All the characters are fun and there aren't any running jokes that I think have gotten stale just yet. I think it has more than found its stride in the lineup of the magazine and I like that we're now setting up for a long-term goal and antagonistic force that feel more tangible.
Blue Box - In its second year of running, we've hit the inevitable slowness that a romantic slice-of-life will have. I still really like the characters and how the writing is handled, but this year has been a lot of plot threads that just go in circles. It looks like we'll be moving forward on a few relationships after this week as we head into the new year though, so I'm looking forward to it.
P6 - This series has been such an enigma. Sometimes you can't tell if it's a well-liked success or a struggling potential cancellation. However, through this year, it manifested its right to stay in the magazine. I'm always so intrigued by Mapollo's art and character writing in this series. The characters feel so alien at times, more like they're figments of human emotion as opposed to actual people. But my lord, when this series gets an anime, it will be amazing. Hearing the musical accompaniment and the colors and animations of the visions will be incredible. I know an anime isn't announced, but I still can look forward to it because at this point it's inevitable. Also, the most recent chapter this week hit so hard. That was amazing.
Mission Yozakura - I don't actually read this series week to week, but I do check in on it every now and then. It still blows my mind that it could be considered one of the veterans of the magazine. Just the same as Undead Unluck, it's often overlooked, so I'm curious to see if the anime will help its sales at all. It seems to be doing well besides that though. Gondaira is just trucking along with no sign of stopping and the art always looks great. Kudos to them.
Tokyo Demon Bride - I actually like this series a good bit, but I'm not a fan of the endless harem we're getting now. The heart and soul of the series is nice though and the world is interesting. I just wished we focused more on the slice-of-life with a touch of action as opposed to centering on a new girl every week. Unfortunately, that's probably one of the issues that are causing Japanese audiences to not gravitate toward it too, so it's starting to look like this won't be long for this world once 2023 rolls around.
Ginka & Gluna - I still don't know how I feel about this one. On one hand, I really want another adventure battle series to potentially take One Piece's place when it ends in the next few years, but on the other hand, the opening piece of this story has been pretty sloppy. Sure, I can see the potential, but I could also see the potential in Build King, Red Hood, Red Sprite, etc. I'm glad the author is being given a chance and I hope they can continue and improve, but at chapter 12, things are ringing hollow for me. There are too many inconsistencies with the world-building and having characters that seem so flippant about everything is offputting. Also, it's weird to have a duo of overpowered characters in a battle series. Recently we had our main heroine clashing with one of the top-tier mages in the world. Obviously, we have no idea how Watanabe wants to pace the series or what their long-term plan is, but at the moment, it feels like we just saw the equivalent of if Luffy clashed with Kaido back in the east blue. Not sure how we're going to move on from that with any real challenge. I suppose series like Nanatsu no Taizai showed how it could be done, but Ginka and Gluna doesn't feel the same as that. Time will only tell.

The new kids on the block - I haven't really gotten a true sense of Ichinose, Cipher, or Ichigoki just yet. They all seem like they could be good, but it's too early to tell. My prediction is that Ichinose will stick around, Cipher will be axed, and Ichigoki may stick around if one of the current comedy series end up leaving (namely High School Family). No idea about the series that's coming in next week.
The ones we lost along the way - Pour one out for the homies. Dr. Stone had a fantastic run with a great end while Ayakashi Triangle and Ruri Dragon moved on to another place. I'm assuming Ruri Dragon will do good once it returns no matter what though with how those sales looked. I didn't read Magu-Chan, but it also sounds like that had a good ending too. In terms of the axed series, I'll miss seeing what Aliens Area could have become. I didn't like its first chapter, but I grew to like it when it started taking its world more seriously and showed that it had depth. Unfortunately, we won't get to see that though. Dorondororon was fun while it lasted, but I see why it ended. Ayashimon was cool, and honestly could have continued, but I wasn't too big a fan of that either. At that point, I was tired of main characters that were just super strong and punched hard with no other depth to their powerset, but that's always going to be a thing in shonen manga. The only other noteworthy one for me was Super Smartphone. I honestly liked the direction the story was going and thought it had some interesting plot threads. Was it perfect? No. But it was entertaining even when it was being rushed.

Overall, I think it was a good year. Everyone likes to say that the current year (whatever that year may be) is the worst year for jump and that it's going to crash and burn, but looking back, things have been pretty smooth. The future is always a question mark, and I look forward to seeing what series rise up and become the new face of the magazine as we enter another transitionary phase like we had back in 2017. 2023 is bound to be a fun year for sure!

Last edited:

Royami

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not really a predictions maker but I thought maybe I'd give an overview of my thoughts of the series I read this year. I'm still a newer reader so I haven't read all that much but I do loyally follow some series.

Sakamoto Days
So this year we covered the JAA incident arc, the Entrance Exam arc, and the School Infiltration arc.. I'll be honest I didn't much care for the JAA Incident arc, it served as a way to introduce Slur and Gaku and their ideology against the JAA but it kind of fell flat for me. The thing is, I feel like we've learned so little about the assassin world and the organizations that run it that having a major event like this where the JAA headquarters are attacked just doesn't mean a lot to us. Combining that with a villain who we also still don't know that much about just leaves what should be a turning point in the manga feeling rather lukewarm. I did love Takamura showing up and Sakamoto's actually face off against Slur was tense.

I think the Entrance Exam arc really brought me back, I wasn't sure at first but this arc really did build into something special. I thought the fight on the airplane was fun and there were a lot of unique aspects to how the exam was set up (like capturing the enemy's tail? survive the plane crash?) that made it pretty entertaining. We also were introduced to several new assassin characters all that were pretty likable, in particular Kaji, Tohrumaru, and Akira) and the endgame of the arc with Gaku showing up with his VR setup was great. The final fight between Sakamoto and Gaku in this arc might be one of my favorite chapters I read this year, and this arc had some of the best moments for this series so far.

The school infiltration arc had a slow start but has also been building up and I've honestly been enjoying the latest parts. This arc still isn't over yet though so it's hard to give my complete thoughts. I will just say I wish there was more downtime between arcs, we just straight up dived into this arc which makes me miss early Sakamoto days where the slice-of-life chapters were probably my favorite chapters. That said, I think the infiltration arc has really expanded this world in a way that has been sorely needed and it's nice to meet the more veteran characters in this world. I also loved Natsuki showing up again, he has a really nice dynamic with Shin and has become one of my favorites.

Overall a good year for Sakamoto days, I love that it receives a lot of love from the magazine and Yuto Suzuki's art continues to impress. I just worry that he'll get burned out but so far he's put out an impressive amount of work. I feel like he's also improved as a storyteller since the beginning and I feel like the quality of his latest arcs has really improved.

Doron Dororon
I might be one of the few people who liked this series, but I really enjoyed it, especially in the early chapters. I really liked Kusanagi and Dora's relationship, and I liked when they were stray samurai who hunted Mononoke on their own. I thought Ginchiyo was a great addition to their dynamic and I loved how her cunning ways balanced out their more altruistic nature. I think one of this series struggles though was maintaining that momentum and setting up a larger plotline, I feel like when they joined the organization it became a lot less interesting but I also don't see how much more they could have done fighting on their own. I also felt like the big bad was just not interesting enough and this series didn't have great long term setup.

It's plot failings aside, I think where this series really shined was with it's characters. Dora was a pretty decent protagonist, I would literally protect Kusanagi with my life, and Ginchiyo was genuinely interesting and unique. I was pretty gutted when she had to be written out of the story (supposedly because she wasn't pretty enough) and I feel like the series really took a hit when that happened. We did meet some good side characters later on (mainly Heisuke) that makes me feel like Oosuka really has a strenght in character writing and creating fun dynamics between characters. I have no idea if he ever has plans to come back to jump but I hope that if he does he creates a series that plays more to his strengths.

Akane Banashi
So I'll be honest I haven't read that much of this one but it's not because I don't enjoy it-- I really do I've just kept it on the back burner, more for a rainy day. It's honestly a really good series and I love getting to see a Rakugo manga do well. I think one area this manga really excels in is pacing, something that most upcoming manga in Jump really seem to struggle with. You always feel that the manga is progressing and that something is happening, but it never feels to fast or too slow. It also manages to keep Rakugo accessible, even to a foreign audience (like me) who might know little about the artform. I love the little art cues, how the Rakugo stories are drawn in a more traditional style. Akane is also a really fun protagonist and I love how expressive she is. A really good new series and it's nice to see more artsy manga in Jump.

Miscellaneous Series I started but didn't get far into
Ayashimon--
I thought this had a fairly decent start but it got boring rather quickly. Maruo just wasn't a very good protagonist in my opinion as he only cared about fighting and Urara didn't do enough to balance him out as her goal was also whatever. The idea of building a supernatural yakuza group is still interesting but it needed more than an interesting premise.

Earthchild-- The amount of stuff that happens in the first two chapters is just mind boggling. A lot of stuff going on here and it just became overwhelming, there's not enough time to process anything. I feel like there was a lot of exposition and drama just cuz. If this series gave more time to small moments and gave us space to breathe I think I would have been pulled into the story more.

Aliens Area-- I think I got four chapters in? It honestly wasn't that bad, I'll probably revisit it one day as I think the author was pretty good at setting up the bigger universe and science fiction elements. I just think the organization was really lackluster and the main pair didn't have great chemistry. I feel like most of the problems with this series lied in the setup, the author obviously has good ideas but the way he started this series wasn't compelling enough and made it hard to get to the better parts.

Ginka and Gluna-- Just picked this one up and I've genuinely been enjoying it. I know a lot of people say this series is too fast paced, which I don't completely disagree with I still think it works for the most part? This world seems really interesting and I love the premise of exploring the world and reclaiming Ginka's body. I really like the way this series approaches magic and I love Ginka and Gluna's dynamic. I'm hopeful with this one.

Overall a pretty good year although I don't have much to compare it to. I feel like we got some really solid new manga although some of the newer ones were genuinely pretty lackluster. Hopefully this next year I'll pick up some of the ongoing series and broaden my manga horizions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.