Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 406 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #22/23 (2024)
One Piece (Lead Color Page)
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
Jujutsu Kaisen
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Kyoukutou Necromance (Color Page, 2nd Chapter, 25p)
Akane-banashi
Sakamoto Days
Kamen Kitan Teo (Color Page, One-shot by Goto Togo & Matsuura Kento, 47p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, First of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release)
Astro Royale (23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family
Witch Watch
Undead Unluck
Kill Blue
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco
Green Green Greens
Nue's Exorcist

Dear Anemone

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #24 (2024) - Information
Cycle Biyori (Cover & LCP, New Series by Kobayashi Omusuke, 54p)
Kagurabachi (Color Page, Second of Two Consecutive, Vol. 2 Release, 200,000 Copies Sale Celebration)
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page, TV Anime Promotion)
Kill Blue (Color Page)
Kyoukutou Necromance (3rd Chapter, 23p)
Mission: Yozakura Family Side Story (Special Chapter)

Last edited by a moderator:

animeexpert

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Seriously? Jump EiC has got to be kidding me. There was still more that could have been explored. Unbelievable.
Lmaoo who was the other goon that said this shit would survive 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣......

Great art but the story was totally aimless after the girl got introduced only once in the early chapter

Broseph

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think MHA has got one volume left. People have been predicting for it to end for a while but now I genuinely see the ending. JJK is closer but I think it can make it to the end of the year. I think this fight still has some juice left to it but I 100% think this is the final fight. I don't see there being another arc after Shinjuku Showdown

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Editorial saw all the fighting here and decided Nue and Kagurabachi could sit in the bottom five together.

Chojo ain't letting up.
Now all you gotta do is axe Nue and Kagurabachi in the same round and it would be truly poetic. The story of two series whose fans fought with each other for so long they got axes together.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Lmaoo who was the other goon that said this shit would survive 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣......

Great art but the story was totally aimless after the girl got introduced only once in the early chapter
I had hope, Jump kept Agravity Boys around for nearly a year. One of the funnest manga and one of the biggest surprises for longevity.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Agravity Boys wasn't kept around so much as it scraped by since there was so much being thrown at the wall that failed harder. The series didn't even get a colour page until ch 40, and that seemed to happen purely out of surprise from even Shueisha that it hadn't ended yet.

I don't think we'll end up in a situation like that again, where so much of the magazine is being filled by new series that manga can stick around by being slightly less of a flop. There are a bunch of series due to end soon, but we also seem to be getting plenty of promising new series pre-filling the empty spots.

echo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Yozafam clearly benefited from Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, Neverland and Yuuna ending. If none of those series ended at about the same time then Yozafam almost certainly would have gotten axed as it was at the bottom at that time. Its possible something could get an extended life from MHA/JJK ending this year.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Since we are on the subject of series that we want to leave, I want to ask everyone which series in the current roster they want to keep and want to leave (for the latter I don’t want any ridicule or profanity). Also, I won’t go into I’ll start first.

-One Piece: Keep, there is no way that I want to get rid of this. We are in the final stretch and it is time for Oda to deliver.

-My Hero Academia: 50/50, keep cause we are in the final stretch of the final arc. But leave cause it is finally time for it to end. And with 14 more chapters left, even though it will be longer due to the breaks, it’s time for Horikoshi to wrap it up.

-Jujutsu Kaisen: 50/50, same reasons as MHA, but I think it has 16 chapters, which means it has two volumes to go. That is one volume more than MHA (mostly due to the chapter count that is evident in their releases lately).

-Mission: Yozakura Family: Keep, Mainly due to both the anime just starting and that the final arc just started. But the length and engagement is another story. But the one thing we know is that Gondaira hasn’t made massive arcs that haven’t gone 30, 40, or even 50 chapters. And if this is going to be massive, then I will give it 44-45 chapters to round out to volume 30. It can’t be that much longer cause I haven’t seen that many long tent pole fights to justify it to go any longer.

-Undead Unluck: Keep, even though we are in the final stretches, we still have this fight and then the last 3 recruits left to get. And then the final fight. But the one thing I question is the length, if it is going to be a 30 volume series, but I might have to take that back. Now with the current fight, my main question is in regard with that new rule and decision made by Language if Tozuka is trying to speed it up. Note that I skimmed it cause I was curious. I will get to read it soon so then I can get to my review today.

-Me & Roboco: I want this series to leave so bad. I know we have the movie coming soon, but wasn’t it supposed to be out last quarter? We have no idea of the release date. Also, I will give it till chapter 200 cause that is when it will reach volume 20. A good stopping point for a series like this. But if it keeps going, why? I need to ask, is or was there any character growth or development in this series even though it is a gag series? I mean it should be enough. I mean in Dr. Slump there was a lot of character growth and change like Arele and the rest of the kids in Penguin Village ended up going to High School and to College, even some got jobs. And Senbei got married and had a kid. What more does Roboco have to do to feel like it has done something?

And now this part from Sakamoto Days to Blue Box will be tricky mainly due to the fact that these series are so close together that seeing their ending won’t happen for a very long time.

-Sakamoto Days: Keep. It is just to good and that there is more will be great. But this as a series needs to pace itself with the action cause the latter arcs should be binged vs weekly. But knowing that there is more is going to be fascinating if we go beyond what this current arc is doing.

-The Elusive Samurai: I am 50/50 for different reasons than MHA and JJk. I want to keep it to see what happens, but want it to leave cause I think we have gone on for this journey for far to long now. I know that 5 years have passed, but is there anything significant in history that is a highlight to have a stopping point. Cause if this goes any longer throughout the 20 year struggle then we will have found a contender with Kingdom on a Shonen level. But I don’t think Matsui wants to go for any longer than he did with Neuro or AC. So 30-50 more chapters is my limit.

-Witch Watch: Keep, but has it been that long since the disaster that we now collected enough butterflies that she grew a year and a half? Well whatever Shinohara wants to do, go for it. But we need to figure out how much longer that Shinohara wants to go for. And now I just checked the internet and it has been over 20 chapters since The Great Disaster arc. Who knew that it went on for this long since then. Does everyone think it will go for another 100+ chapters?

-Blue Box: Keep, we’re in to deep. But the one thing that I am keeping track but it is a little harder is the amount of chapters for each arc and how they correspond to the amount of time passing for each season. I say that mostly due to how in the last saga (year one) it took 119 chapters. We are now on chapter 145 and we are about to begin Summer with the Second Year Fireworks Festival arc. So this thing could end in a little over 100 chapters if paced properly and planned with our characters. So I have no complaints.

-Akane-banashi: Keep. Although I want to know how long this series will go for. I just feel like it is a 20 volume series to me. We are now reaching the end of volume 12. So now we have about 70+ chapters if the story advances to Akane’s promotion and then challenging the higher ups to be their equal. I don’t see that much happening unless there is more that Suenaga wants to tell. Not just with Akane but the rest of the cast.

-Kill Blue: Keep, we are just in the starting phase and things are getting more interesting again. So we reached the next level. But what will happen after this arc will determine its fate.

-Nue’s Exorcist: it is debatable for me. I mean I am glad that it is going on a new trajectory that will elevate its current standing. But this series gets in its own way. I remembered that with this series someone said (not here), that it is a jack of all trades series where it can do everything but is a master of none. It hasn’t offended me in any way and it is decent. But the only things that I have against it are Gakuro and sometimes the character designs that don’t really push the boundaries to make me more engaged. I want Kawae to grow, but they need to look at what they can improve on. We’ll see if the whole infighting is causing both this and KGB are the cause but that is just speculation and has no weight to be justified. And remember, this is only one week, we won’t know that much until otherwise.

-Kagurabachi: I want to keep it cause of the improvement. Amazing due to my change a few months ago. But after this arc, there needs to be a solid plan to go after the other 4 sacred blades. Going back to our comments on last years forum, the amount of change and growth the series had.

-Green Green Greens: Keep, it will be a tragedy if this goes. I have been campaigning for this to stay but it has to go out there to the public. So please everyone, if you love this series. Please do what the KGB fandom did and share your support to get this the love and attention it deserves than it might live instead of complaining about it and letting it die. In fact, I will send a fan letter to justify that.

-Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: Keep cause it is genuinely funny.

-Dear Anemone: Leave, due to how unengaged I was.

And that’s it.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Yozafam clearly benefited from Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, Neverland and Yuuna ending. If none of those series ended at about the same time then Yozafam almost certainly would have gotten axed as it was at the bottom at that time. Its possible something could get an extended life from MHA/JJK ending this year.
And don’t forget Act-Age (unfortunately). But yes, that could happen. And I hope that is the case with GGG.

Cerclox

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
I still don't understand the Nue and Kagurabachi rankings but they get color pages, make it make sense

SunPillar

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I still don't understand the Nue and Kagurabachi rankings but they get color pages, make it make sense
I think it’s because since most of the obvious axes are gone something has to be at the bottom, but they want to show it’s not in any real danger by giving it color pages. I think they’ll probably be there until the new series start ranking.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
On to some positive news, it is revealed that Hikaru no Go is receiving a stage play. Probably to celebrate its 25 year anniversary.

coldmess

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone else thing Necromancer will struggle? Aliens Area is maybe my favorite recently canceled series, and I do have hope that Necromancer will be good. Idk maybe I'm being pessimistic because Jump usually only has 1-2 hits a year and Chojo seems to be a hit already.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Does anyone else thing Necromancer will struggle? Aliens Area is maybe my favorite recently canceled series, and I do have hope that Necromancer will be good. Idk maybe I'm being pessimistic because Jump usually only has 1-2 hits a year and Chojo seems to be a hit already.
I do have some concerns. Mostly due to how Naba did struggle and might get better. But the other thing that I am concern is mostly due to his possible editor. Not that he is terrible, he is mostly strong in drama's and romance (and maybe some slight comedies). As for action and sports series, yikes.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Feels a little early to worry without having chapter 1 or 2 to see how it is... I think if the writer has a more solid and lengthy storyline that avoids doing "monster of the week" type of episodic content like was done in Aliens Area, though, the writing would be a step up from Aliens Area.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
-Me & Roboco: I want this series to leave so bad. I know we have the movie coming soon, but wasn’t it supposed to be out last quarter? We have no idea of the release date. Also, I will give it till chapter 200 cause that is when it will reach volume 20. A good stopping point for a series like this. But if it keeps going, why? I need to ask, is or was there any character growth or development in this series even though it is a gag series? I mean it should be enough. I mean in Dr. Slump there was a lot of character growth and change like Arele and the rest of the kids in Penguin Village ended up going to High School and to College, even some got jobs. And Senbei got married and had a kid. What more does Roboco have to do to feel like it has done something?
Roboco doesn't really need these things. All it needs to do is be consistently funny. Roboco will end when the gags run dry rather than because of plot.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jump is not stacked. It's normal to get 2-3 hits a year... but there are currently six newbie slots, nearly 1/3 of the magazine. It's still less competitive than it was for every year prior to 2020.

There is plenty of room for new series to grow, exactly like they have been doing. If anything, Jump is giving new series too much time to grow, even when they are obvious flops.

Feels a little early to worry without having chapter 1 or 2 to see how it is... I think if the writer has a more solid and lengthy storyline that avoids doing "monster of the week" type of episodic content like was done in Aliens Area, though, the writing would be a step up from Aliens Area.
Aliens Area went directly into a solid and length storyline. The episodic elements didn't really start until Volume 2, and even then it only lasted for like 5 chapters.

KrenKren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something has to take a hit in the ToC whenever a new batch rolls around.
Of course that doesn't go for Nue, since it was and has been ranking poorly regardless.
But it would at least explain Kagurabachi. Give it nine weeks and we can properly judge positions then.
Not unless they're really terrible ones, anyway. Judge those as they come.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Roboco doesn't really need these things. All it needs to do is be consistently funny. Roboco will end when the gags run dry rather than because of plot.
Okay fair enough, but to me it was never funny. I want to know here if anyone thinks the jokes are running dry? And if there are people in Japan here (like animeexpert) knows what is happening on the pulse of what they think of Roboco?

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
To directly answer your question: yes, Roboco has development.

But more than that, Me & Roboco has a lot of variety. By Chapter 1, three of the most popular side-characters had already been established (Gorilla, Motsuo, Meico) and by Chapter 10 there are two more (Madoka, Ruri). Each of these characters have enough personality and unique gags to star in their own manga. By Chapter 9 Gorilla is already carrying his own solo-chapters, and by Chapter 12 Motsuo is doing the same.

It isn't really one 200-chapter manga, it's ten 20-chapter manga interwoven together. It could go on for another 200 chapters without running thin; something that Saiki K struggled to do, because its protagonist was the most interesting characters in those manga, and it still went for 300 chapters. It is something that High School Family and Witch Watch also did well, and they did better than every other gag from the last five years.

On the other hand, I worry about SPPC, which simply does not have the same longevity. It can only go as long as the dynamic between Chojo and Ipponei remains fresh, and I don't imagine that will be more than a year.

As for Dr. Slump, I don't know much about it, but did the characters go to college in the main series, or in the sequel series? That sounds like a final-chapter development.

Cerclox

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
I remember when someone said Kagurabachi will never have 2 consecutive color Page
If Nue did it so can Kagurabachi

Next up, can it get two consecutive Shonen Jump covers :derp