Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 469 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #26 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Piece 1115

• Jujutsu Kaisen 261

• Mission: Yozakura Family 227

• Me & Roboco 186

• Sakamoto Days 167

• The Elusive Samurai 157

• Witch Watch 157

• Blue Box 150

• Akane Banashi 111

• Kill Blue 54

• Nue's Exorcist 51

• Kagurabachi 34

• Green Green Greens 24

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 15

• Ruri Dragon 14

• Dearn Anemone 14

• Astro Royale 6

• Kyokuto Necromance 5

• Psych House 3

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Worrying news for the forum mainstays who got in bed with the negative Nue's Exorcist crowd.

Dongus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
For now 3 months again
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Signature finally updated! :yondaime

Was waiting for Psych House to start in order to edit. Goodbye to MamaYuyu, Two on Ice & Shadow Eliminators, and hello to Astro Royale, Kyokuto Necromance & Psych House :kkthumbs

Also with Ruri Dragon becoming a digital publication i decided to remove it from the signature and with that Kagurabachi reached the 2nd tier!
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Nue's Exorcist Twitter account posted a celebration for the 1st anniversary like Kill Blue, the series started on May 15 of 2023:

And it also seems to be teasing about something coming soon:

"もうすぐ○○○○ができるかも…お楽しみに " / "We may/might have ○○○○ coming soon?! Look forward!"

:grumble
I've only seen that ○○○○ censorship in eroges to cut out the dirty words. It's finally time. They're gonna turn Nue's Exorcist into a h-game. I propose the title Nue's Sexorcist (I'm pretty sure I encountered a h-game that used that pun somewhere).

V1zy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Nue's Exorcist Twitter account posted a celebration for the 1st anniversary like Kill Blue, the series started on May 15 of 2023:

Are they going to do a Popularity poll perhaps? They have enough characters to do that right?

Crimson Trickster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail

Anime /s.
That's a poll I'm sure.

KrenKren

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Worrying news for the forum mainstays who got in bed with the negative Nue's Exorcist crowd.
Only for the ones who lack conviction.
I ain't hear no bell.

Pietro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Are you telling me Nues gonna have anime before Sakamoto and Witch Watch having it? LOL even Akane is on the same road of Sakamoto too

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That's a dumb comparison, their problem is with how things were solved, not the girl necessarily stealing rice balls, also japanese readers did have problems with Char being tortured and having members cut.

Btw, Psych House views numbers on Plus are pretty bad and the comments are mostly about the shoplifting -_-;

Weekly Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (May 6-12)
19. Kagurabachi #2
27. Akane-banashi #11
56. Undead Unluck #21 (9,304 / 25,696)
79. Nue's Exorcist #4 (7,786 / 23,877)
153. Cipher Academy #7 (4,704 / 14,437)
344. Martial Master Asumi #4 (1,965 / 5,615)
356. Shadow Eliminators #1 (1,886 / 4,648)
451. Green Green Greens #1 (1,447 / 4,072)

Backlog:
84. Kagurabachi #1 (7,456)
418. Mission: Yozakura Family #23 (1,546 / 36,515)
468. Mission: Yozakura Family #1 (1,396 / 6,444)

iker_03

Reaction score
Country
Spain
That's a dumb comparison, their problem is with how things were solved, not the girl necessarily stealing rice balls, also japanese readers did have problems with Char being tortured and having members cut.

Btw, Psych House views numbers on Plus are pretty bad and the comments are mostly about the shoplifting -_-;

418. Mission: Yozakura Family #23 (1,546 / 36,515)
468. Mission: Yozakura Family #1 (1,396 / 6,444)

Also bad for Necromance

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Here is my ranking on first chapter impressions this year so far (note that I will not include Green Green Greens mainly due to it technically being a 2023 series).

1. Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: mainly due to the characters and the humor. Even though I can compare this to Kochikame and GinTama, it matches and feels natural. But even though it is a gag series, it helps to properly build on characters like Ippongi and add some mystery to Chojo.

2. Psych House: At first I was going to write this off as a failure. But I was really surprised on how it was executed. On why this is my number 2 is because it was new and I want to be safe cause you never know. But to the chapter, it really focused on the characters and build on them personally. Another aspect is the way it addresses the Psych phenomenon, as it hints it but gave enough exposition to add that there are more and further anticipated the more characters to introduce.

3. Kyokuto Necromance: Even though it may feel generic and there is hardly any personality from some of the characters, the saving grace is that there is some focus in the plot. Unfortunately the struggle is how it could have been structured. It is like the same issue I had with Kagurabachi’s first chapter as it didn’t give enough as the rest of the knowledge on our main character is brought in the following chapter.

4. Astro Royale: My only problem is the art and it is just a subjective matter. I would also say that it really copy and pastes a lot of character designs we have seen in Tokyo Revengers. But in all honesty it is a similar complaint we have seen with some artists but it shouldn’t be ranked down cause it will always matter on the execution. But for the story, one aspect that I have as well as some people I have heard from is how many characters it is introducing. Unlike most series that have introduced a ton of characters we get to properly know them as the chapters go along and have those small character arcs that fit within the time frame. As it is important to introduce them through doses. The main problem here is that it is going hard, even by slamming down those character introduction boxes to say “this character is important, remember them”. It is like the opposite of Dear Anemone where even if I try to remember them I still forget cause it isn’t natural. And another complaint is how the supernatural world came in. I don’t know what it is but I just didn’t care to much for that. Plus with the idea of a gang war to be number 1 in leading the family, it reminds me of the Hitman 10 pilot idea in Bakuman, where it would work as a concept due to the vast amount of characters, but would be hurt by longevity if not thinking about what more is there than just killing people. I think the biggest comparison I can make where it looks good on a concept level was Red Hood, but unfortunately it won’t be properly executed in a way that I would have wanted it to hit.

5. Shadow Eliminators: This and Dear Anemone are probably my weakest of the year (so SharkBait I apologize, you can still have the rest of my copium to recover :delerium .) As for a chapter 1 introduction, the main problem here, was it being generic along with not having a good first impression torwards our characters and genuine premise when I have seen it better in Bleach and Jujutsu Kaisen. Also how it was cluttered in the paneling really didn’t do it any favors as I couldn’t tell what was happening do to those oversized text bubbles. Even though it is generic, I can remember the character designs as they stand out and there is some personality, it is just unfocused.

6. Dear Anemone: Unlike SE, this is the most forgettable because it does not have any personality that exudeds along with its characters or plot that doesn’t leave me anything to latch on to. I mean sure, the Darwinism and Evolution aspect was cool, but I would much have watched the Ivan Reitman movie Evolution as it had much more engaging characters that did make me care about science along with it having good comedy to still make me go back. Here even though the art is amazing, none of the character designs stick out except for maybe Anemone, but other than that, who is there that we can latch on to from a character standpoint.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country

Kagurabachifriends, we have some explaining to do.
And that is another reason why I don’t use Twitter. But seriously they are attaching themselves to this shoplifting thing pretty hard. I made this direct comparison to TPGW where unlike Psych House, its focus on the shoplifting is just a side problem that won’t come back again. But unlike TPGW that plagiarism is there 24/7 making it really hard to engage along with the terrible execution.

I wonder what it could be. But it can’t be an anime. If it is what is the current status of all of the series in Jump that haven’t gotten an anime announcement yet such as SD, WW, and Akane?

But if it is a character popularity poll, I don’t mind. It allows me to see where everyone’s head space is at with the characters. But I think I have a pretty good idea on who is getting the positive attention in the top 5.

Qukiqq

Reaction score
Country
England
Rankings this week
1. Sakamoto Days 9.5/10
2. One Piece 9.5/10
3. Jujutsu Kaisen 9.5/10
4. Akane banashi 9/10
5. Kagurabachi 9/10
6. Witch watch 9/10
7. Nue exorcist 8.5/10
8. Roboco 8.5/10
9. Kill blue 8/10
10. Astro royale 7.5/10
11. Undead unluck 7.5/10
12. Green green greens 7/10
13. Kyokuto necromance 7/10
14. Psych house 6.5/10
15. Ruri dragon 6.5/10
16. Policeman Chojo 6/10
17. Dear anemone 4/10

Takamura is literally the definition of him.

The latest one piece chapters have given me chills. The break was so worth it.

Witch watch comedy chapters are more hit or miss for me than roboco. While roboco is just constantly great , witch watch has an amazing chapter every few months and this was one of them.

Psych house was fine. It's not that interesting but it isn't bad either.
The way the shoplifting stuff was handled did give me a bit of an ick but it didn't affect my enjoyment much.

Also I think the second chapter will be really important in seeing how it will turn out because if the side characters in the house aren't interesting then it is a dead man walking.

Kyokuto necromance was a bit better than I expected it to be this week but it still feels like aliens area 2.0

Astro royale was fun this week again but I am getting a bit perplexed on why the pacing is so fast. It could definitely help if it slowed down a bit.

For the new batch

Looking only at the first chapter
Astro >> Kyokuto > Psycho

Currently
Astro > Kyokuto >= Psycho

Most potential to be great
Astro > Psycho > Kyokuto

Most likely to survive
Astro > Kyokuto >= Psycho

Friki

Reaction score
Country
France
I think it's over for Fusai Naba, but i dont see him get another series on WSJ, if he gets another i hope he will make somthing less generic.

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Yep, this new batch seems dead on arrival (except Astro Royale which should do fine in short term)

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
I think it's over for Fusai Naba, but i dont see him get another series on WSJ, if he gets another i hope he will make somthing less generic.
It’s not so much generic, it’s more so in depth. And it is also a criticism if he had another editor (if that is the case) who knows action series.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Necromance to me feels like if someone fixed Shadow Eliminators biggest issues, but that still only takes a 2/10 series to a 5/10.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Man everyone is really hating on Necromance and it is already in chapter 3. Can’t we just wait and see how this first arc will go starting Sunday/Monday, and see if it picks up?

pennycryman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think they had a problem with it, it was more like they were shocked by it.
I've only seen that ○○○○ censorship in eroges to cut out the dirty words. It's finally time. They're gonna turn Nue's Exorcist into a h-game. I propose the title Nue's Sexorcist (I'm pretty sure I encountered a h-game that used that pun somewhere).
My ○○○○ is so ready

Last edited:

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Jump series don't always get to wait until their first arcs, the magazine's too competitive for a "wait and see" attitude. It hasn't happened in a while but series can get axed before chapter 15, which often isn't even long enough to finish the first arc after the basic intro stuff.