Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 115 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
How is Orient doing? Sales & the reception? On Amazon its scoring pretty mediocre reviews and the first chapters weren't that great for me personally. Shinobu proved she's a great mangaka with Magi (TS was a mess) so I don't want to drop the series lol.

MangAniMY

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
How is Orient doing? Sales & the reception? On Amazon its scoring pretty mediocre reviews and the first chapters weren't that great for me personally. Shinobu proved she's a great mangaka with Magi (TS was a mess) so I don't want to drop the series lol.
Pretty decent for a first volume of Magazine series

│*22870 (3)│*52442│------│------│------┃*52,442 (*10)┃2018/08|オリエント 1

on that note, Edens Zero (not including the limited edition)

│*30178 (3)│*67789│------│------│------┃*67,789 (*10)┃2018/09|EDENS ZERO 1

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Pretty decent for a first volume of Magazine series

│*22870 (3)│*52442│------│------│------┃*52,442 (*10)┃2018/08|オリエント 1

on that note, Edens Zero (not including the limited edition)

│*30178 (3)│*67789│------│------│------┃*67,789 (*10)┃2018/09|EDENS ZERO 1
Wow, even beated by Edens Zero, it's not that bad lol. Im sure Shionbu will pick up the story a lot faster than Mashima.

Are you going to post a Magi sales chart on the Sunday Magazine thread?

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Wow, even beated by Edens Zero, it's not that bad lol. Im sure Shionbu will pick up the story a lot faster than Mashima.

Are you going to post a Magi sales chart on the Sunday Magazine thread?
you know what? that is a good suggestion, one of the more successful Sunday serialization, and just in range to be fully tracked

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
you know what? that is a good suggestion, one of the more successful Sunday serialization, and just in range to be fully tracked
Thank you! Also, wouldn't it be better to see the chart after we get the 2018 manga sales data (since Nov 2017 is the start of the period)? The final volume was released in mid Nov 2017. (unless thats what you were planning to do lol)

LuckyJim

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Buy Moria
I don't think it's that odd that Eden's Zero sold better than Orient. Whatever you think of Mashima's series, Fairy Tail had a massive fanbase, and was one of Magazine's biggest hits, so it makes sense that EZ would get a lot of sales since just by being attached to Mashima, it already got a decent following.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
The real challenge will be to keep those fans and also bring in new fans because there's only so much a brand name will so for sales. In the end, its the content that will draw in readers. So far, EZ is fun enough to do that so I think it can fill Taizai's spot once it ends because honestly Magazine needs it. After Taizai ends, Magazine will have like 5 100k sellers with most in the 100k range. That's not bad especially with digital sales rising but that doesn't really scream "flagship". I mean Magazine has had quite a bit of successes recently, probably more than both Jump and Sunday but again most stop around 100k.

Its strange they haven't pushed for an anime for Fire Force. I mean Domestic na Kanojo is getting one and that's essentially a soap opera. Something as action focused like Fire Force should have a much more higher ceiling for growth.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Orient and EZ are fun enough, Orient was dull until they left town and heroine came, EZ took till the 11th chapter to drop big bombshells, so not surprising how even the sales reflect that too. I'm a lil behind on both. I don't understand the FF thing either, it's past 3 years which is way later than when FT got an anime at least announced, they have plenty of material. Even this guilty pleasure series just got one from Young Magazine, it's strange how long they wait. Still I agree they're in a good spot, just maybe a rookie success or another banger in general would be a good look.

I saw FT100 Vol 1 drops in November, with a month of anime airing I wonder if it'll sell more than some current magazine series. Hell, what even is Magazine Pocket's highest seller... Infection? Yikes lol

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Wow! Nakayama and Kodaka doing a series together, what a perfect match! I can't wait!

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
That character design reminded me of Danganronpa lol, a little bit like Chiaki from DR2

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Wow! Nakayama and Kodaka doing a series together, what a perfect match! I can't wait!
What are their complete names? I want to see their other works

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
What are their complete names? I want to see their other works
Kazutaka Kodaka (小高 和剛) - mostly and very famously known for being the creator, director and writer of the Danganronpa game series.
Atsushi Nakayama (中山 敦支)

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Kodaka and Nakayama working on a manga together is actually the best news I have heard this whole year.

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kazutaka Kodaka (小高 和剛) - mostly and very famously known for being the creator, director and writer of the Danganronpa game series.
Atsushi Nakayama (中山 敦支)
Oh, it's THIS Kodaka? I thought it was a complete different person. That's very interesting, now I'm even more interesting on reading it since I'm a big fan of him and Danganronpa.

mangalover101

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
How did EZ's start compared to Fairy Tail? Did it start with similar numbers or was Fairy Tail big from the get go?

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Nakayama Twitter sketch for the new series:

Also drew a picture of Kirigiri from Danganronpa:

Status
Not open for further replies.