Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 126 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Orient...is an odd case. According to Geocities, it is the Top 15th WSM manga for it's debut sales in past ELEVEN (yes, 11) years (52,442 copies in 10 days)

And since then...it is worse and worse
Volume 2 43,647 copies in 12 days
Volume 3 earned 28,188 in 7 days (Volume 2 did 25k in just 5 days) and did not even chart on Oricon in Week 2.

So yeah, seems it's fizzling out, but I feel like Yoru ni Nari no Boku Wa, Mako-San, Gamblers Paradise all seem to be in a bigger trouble thanks to the horrible sales. Hitman and Blue Lock also have mediocre sales for new manga, but better reception and are higher than the 3 I mentioned. So Orient has an advantage against at least minimally 5 manga (and possibly Shichiha Gojuroku as well), making it very safe.

It also beats Domestic na Kanojo and Senryuu Girl (though DNK has an anime ongoing which could help it and SG will have an anime soon, so probably a moot point to make)

Orient will probably stay for a while, also the volumes are getting a reprint.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Weekly Shonen Magazine clearly want to have a new lineup of action series and that's why they got their hands on two big authors from other magazines(Fire Force and Orient) + they have Mashima with EZ. Even if Orient loses a lot of momentum WSM would still keep it because they know they can't hope to get an action series that sells much better with instant good sales results, they'll just have to grow and promote Orient as much as they can. Weekly Shonen Magazine isn't friendly towards newcomers when it comes to giving them chances to do action series, while in comparison Jump relies and encourages new talents to make the next big battle shonen series. WSM never seems to have focused on mostly having action manga in the first place, but they know how important it is to have these kinds of series in the magazine.

They lost Fairy Tail and Nanatsu no Taizai is ending soon, so they have to build up Fire Force, Edens Zero and Orient. There's no guarantee Nanatsu's author is going to return with another series in WSM and even if he does return it could be a sports manga or something like that. I'd say at this point EZ is basically guaranteed to have an anime in the near future and Orient is most likely going to have an anime as well.

The only way I see Orient ending if the mangaka wants to finish it early, if she feels unsatisfied with the story but I doubt it.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Weekly Shonen Magazine clearly want to have a new lineup of action series and that's why they got their hands on two big authors from other magazines(Fire Force and Orient) + they have Mashima with EZ. Even if Orient loses a lot of momentum WSM would still keep it because they know they can't hope to get an action series that sells much better with instant good sales results, they'll just have to grow and promote Orient as much as they can. Weekly Shonen Magazine isn't friendly towards newcomers when it comes to giving them chances to do action series, while in comparison Jump relies and encourages new talents to make the next big battle shonen series. WSM never seems to have focused on mostly having action manga in the first place, but they know how important it is to have these kinds of series in the magazine.

They lost Fairy Tail and Nanatsu no Taizai is ending soon, so they have to build up Fire Force, Edens Zero and Orient. There's no guarantee Nanatsu's author is going to return with another series in WSM and even if he does return it could be a sports manga or something like that. I'd say at this point EZ is basically guaranteed to have an anime in the near future and Orient is most likely going to have an anime as well.

The only way I see Orient ending if the mangaka wants to finish it early, if she feels unsatisfied with the story but I doubt it.
Agreed. There are just too many WSM manga in the line to go before Orient, like too many. And WSM is not really popular for mass axing like Jump does, which helps. I do feel they are *too* patient actually, like Mako San bombing for consecutive 3 volumes. (!)

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
I'm thinking of binge reading through Orient. Is at risk of cancellation? I don't really follow WSM, more of a WSJ guy and wondered if the same standards apply here. Orient is near the bottom of the rankings and with WSJ rankings arent much of an indicator.
It recently got a reprint across all the volumes so it seems to be doing fine.
There are also enough series doing worse that it shouldn't be in danger any time soon.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san PV

cv: Tomoyo Kurosawa

also in the video description, 500k

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agreed. There are just too many WSM manga in the line to go before Orient, like too many. And WSM is not really popular for mass axing like Jump does, which helps. I do feel they are *too* patient actually, like Mako San bombing for consecutive 3 volumes. (!)
I'd say bombing is a tad harsh to describe Mako-san since it did technically get a reprint early on, along with the fact that none of its volumes have been the lowest-selling of the current WSM lineup. It may be the type of series that people tend to read more online, so WSM leaves it around in the print magazine to attract more people to their mobile platforms since I've noticed that Mako-san Tweets from the official WSM page tend to get a little more activity than many other posts. Plus, each chapter is only like 5 pages long, so even if it continues to exist, it's not taking up a ton of space in the magazine.

I'd say that the biggest series in danger right now is Yoru, whose first volume tanked and second sold even worse than the first. It is currently the worst-selling thing in WSM, and I'd be shocked if it isn't the next thing to go. After that is Gambler's Parade, which has also had very low initial volume sales. Although it hasn't had a volume released yet, I'd say it'd be that new series Shichiha since it has been residing near almost the bottom of the TOC nearly its entire run. I'd have to guess that means it's not getting much of a reader response for it to never even be moved more towards the middle. I'm not even sure when its first volume is coming, but I'd guess they'd toss it a CP like they've done for the other new series.

After those 3, I'd place Mako-san since it's tiny and selling better than the first 2 in the above paragraph and have it tied with Blue Lock. If Blue Lock would've premiered 6 months earlier than when it did, I'd say it would've been axed by now. Its first 2 volumes sold on par with Sensei Sukidesu (even a tad lower on the first), but the main difference between then and now is that there's actually an ax buffer zone that didn't really exist earlier towards the end of last year. I'd say This one may survive a bit longer as long as there aren't any sharp declines in sales. Hitman and Orient, while probably not as big as the editors were hoping right out the get-go, are probably safe for at least the medium-term due to the authors' veteran statuses and acceptable sales thus far.

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Mako-san wa Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai:
Volume 01 - 18,771 (20d)
Volume 02 - 17,240 (17d)
Volume 03 - 14,881 (14d)

Sensei, Suki desu
Volume 01 - 22,642 (24d)
Volume 02 - 18,786 (18d)
Volume 03 - 16,438 (13d)
Volume 04 - 12,935 (12d)

Hitman
Volume 01 - 33,319 (26d)
Volume 02 - 27,303 (28d)

Blue Lock
Volume 01 - 22,244 (24d)
Volume 02 - 25,844 (18d) - Ongoing

Keep it mind blue rock still didn't drop from shoseki weekly list.
It will probably sell around 30k before dropping from list.
It really shouldn't be in any danger regardless of when it's debuted.

Last edited:

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd say bombing is a tad harsh to describe Mako-san since it did technically get a reprint early on, along with the fact that none of its volumes have been the lowest-selling of the current WSM lineup. It may be the type of series that people tend to read more online, so WSM leaves it around in the print magazine to attract more people to their mobile platforms since I've noticed that Mako-san Tweets from the official WSM page tend to get a little more activity than many other posts. Plus, each chapter is only like 5 pages long, so even if it continues to exist, it's not taking up a ton of space in the magazine.
I would like you to look at what Seth posted. The sales are actually *decreasing* per volume, to the point Mako could not survive on Shoseki for more than 14 days.... 14k for 2 weeks on Volume 3 has no business to do in a magazine like WSM. Likely will be moved to Magazine Pocket like Sensei Sukidesu, at best. While I am not a fan of Shueisha axing things left and right, I believe that is the reason why are they so successful. Kodansha needs to cleanup lower performers and be more aggressive imo. Especially since they are going to lose Ahiru no Sora soon which is in the final arc.

And yeah, I agree with you regarding Yoru. So far the Top 3 in danger by sales seem to be Yoru, Mako San and Gamblers Paradise, though GP will be saved at least for 1 more volume sale ranking.

Can you tell me how to calculate propely Shoseki sales, or where to find numbers like these? Thanks for posting. Not good for Hitman prospects to drop that much even with more days to sell. I guess this wont replicate the Bakuman success, or anything even close to that.

It is Blue Lock, not Rock lol. Nice to see it is growing even if slowly. Has potential.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Volume 01 - 18,771 (20d)
Volume 02 - 17,240 (17d)
Volume 03 - 14,881 (14d)

Sensei, Suki desu
Volume 01 - 22,642 (24d)
Volume 02 - 18,786 (18d)
Volume 03 - 16,438 (13d)
Volume 04 - 12,935 (12d)

Hitman
Volume 01 - 33,319 (26d)
Volume 02 - 27,303 (28d)

Blue Rock
Volume 01 - 22,244 (24d)

For some reason, I though Blue Lock was one volume ahead of where it is now. I agree that it's probably good then so long as there's no sudden declines or every other series suddenly surges in sales. I also didn't realize Hitman's drop was that much. Either way, I'd be surprised if Yoru doesn't leave soon. There hasn't been a new series in awhile, so I can see them coming up with one or 2 more within the next 2 months just to keep things fresh
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Especially since they are going to lose Ahiru no Sora soon which is in the final arc.
As someone who doesn't follow this series at all, when exactly did its final arc start? For some reason, I feel like its final arc's announcement and anime's announcement were both quite awhile back.

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Can you tell me how to calculate propely Shoseki sales, or where to find numbers like these? Thanks for posting. Not good for Hitman prospects to drop that much even with more days to sell. I guess this wont replicate the Bakuman success, or anything even close to that.

It is Blue Lock, not Rock lol. Nice to see it is growing even if slowly. Has potential.
For some reason, I always thought it was called Blue Rock. I just realized it is Blue Lock.

I use oricon sales when it's available,if it's not I use estimates given below shoseki weekly chart. I know book rank uses a different formula, but end results aren't too different.For example according to bookrank:

Mako-san wa Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai
Volume 01 - 17,687 (20d)
Volume 02 - 16,495 (17d)

Sensei, Suki desu
Volume 01 - 21,786 (24d)
Volume 02 - 18,323 (18d)
Volume 03 - 15,730 (13d)

Hitman
Volume 01 - 33,101 (26d)

If bookrank didn't stop posting estimates, i would have used their numbers.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Volume 01 - 18,771 (20d)
Volume 02 - 17,240 (17d)
Volume 03 - 14,881 (14d)

Sensei, Suki desu
Volume 01 - 22,642 (24d)
Volume 02 - 18,786 (18d)
Volume 03 - 16,438 (13d)
Volume 04 - 12,935 (12d)

Hitman
Volume 01 - 33,319 (26d)
Volume 02 - 27,303 (28d)

Blue Lock
Volume 01 - 22,244 (24d)

Yup, this is great news for me, I like what Blue Lock is doing as a sports series so I'm really glad to see it's growing, there haven't been any new successful sports manga for a while, so seeing something potentially take off is encouraging. I'd say keeping this series around would make a lot of sense for Magazine right now.

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Keep in mind Mako-san is a 4koma so the sales are expectated to be lower than other regular series.

That said, given the recent developments it won't be a surprise if it's heading towards a natural conclusion.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep in mind Mako-san is a 4koma so the sales are expectated to be lower than other regular series.

That said, given the recent developments it won't be a surprise if it's heading towards a natural conclusion.
Is there a reason why 4koma are selling less (similiar thing is happening to Senryuu Shoujo)? Are they niche in appeal, or what? I think Mako-San may not get a clear axe, but will just be kicked to Magazine Pocket like Sensei Sukidesu.

Pity Senryuu Shoujo isnt doing better in sales. Even if it is just a flufflier version of Komi-san wa, Komyushou desu
I really like the MC a lot, and it has some elements of gag manga where a lot of jokes made me laugh. I do feel this is a Shoujo (like the title says) manga trapped in a Shonen magazine (where Komi has a bit more Shonen appeal to itself instead Too bad.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Do you even read any shoujo manga? They tend to be completely different stylistically, structurally and presentation wise. Senryuu is exactly what you would expect from a shounen school slice of life gag manga. I don't think it should be pitied since it's successful enough to get an anime lol. Shoujo is the Japanese word for girl, it isn't only used to describe manga demographics.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you even read any shoujo manga? They tend to be completely different stylistically, structurally and presentation wise. Senryuu is exactly what you would expect from a shounen school slice of life gag manga. I don't think it should be pitied since it's successful enough to get an anime lol. Shoujo is the Japanese word for girl, it isn't only used to describe manga demographics.
I don't agree, but respecting your opinion. I don't find the Senryuu's concept or plot attractive to it's intended demographic, regardless of the fact it stylistically is a pure Shonen.

Success wise, it is enough to get an anime, but only just because it survived long enough to get one in a relatively tame magazine axing wise (plus school romcoms are an anime magnet material, no wonder). Not because it is doing so great in sales, which is my pity for it. Because it deserves more than what is getting than some (looking at you, Kanojo, Okarishimasu).

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
If you don't agree why did you edit out the entire segment you wrote about it being a shoujo?

"I do feel this is a Shoujo (like the title says) manga trapped in a Shonen magazine (where Komi has a bit more Shonen appeal to itself instead)."

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you don't agree why did you edit out the entire segment you wrote about it being a shoujo?

"I do feel this is a Shoujo (like the title says) manga trapped in a Shonen magazine (where Komi has a bit more Shonen appeal to itself instead)."
By accident, otherwise I certainly would just agree and moved on, really. Kind of rude of you to mock me and do a "call out" like this, but fine. It has returned back.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Also Magazine is tame axing wise? I disagree, many things get axed here all the time. You shouldn't compare everything to how it is in WSJ, each magazine does things differently. It's clearly doing great enough in sales for Magazine's standards to get an anime.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also Magazine is tame axing wise? I disagree, many things get axed here all the time. You shouldn't compare everything to how it is in WSJ, each magazine does things differently. It's clearly doing great enough in sales for Magazine's standards to get an anime.
What happened in 2018 axing wise? Real Account returned back to Bessatsu (for what I am guessing is the schedule matter), 2 moved to Magazine Pocket, Fuuka+Tsurezure ended, and Kiss and Cry + Tsue Petit Mahou were axed, am I right?
Especially with how flexibile Kodansha is, saying "axed all the time" is not true. Nothing is like WSJ. Fair enough for the last sentence.

Not a fan of how this discussion went though. There is no need for this to be a multiple reply "war" of opinions imo, just because we disagree. I won't reply further, since this is going very off rails now.

Status
Not open for further replies.