Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The only thing that bugs me about this move is that DGM is sharing the same space as that Shin Prince of Tennis nonsense.

It felt so good to see DGM on the same list as the popular stuff like One Piece... Ah well.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Didn't it share space with Prince of Tennis in WSJ from 2004 - 2008 anyway? Claymore, Tegami Bachi, Rosario to Vampire, Kure Nai, Shiki, and Ao no Exorcist are pretty good company to keep.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Which reminds me, why is it on the WSJ website, then, anyway? Won't they just have to remove it after this?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I assume they will. The move hasn't been officially announced yet. I assume it won't be until Akamaru comes out on Monday. Until then DGM remains a WSJ series. Also, I somehow expect the SQ version to be treated as a separate entity. Just as PoT started over at volume 1 chapter 1, despite starting right where the original left off, DGM will probably relaunch in November. The Akamaru chapter will either be an unnumbered prelude or chapter 1. Volume 1 - 18 will remain in WSJ's listing. That's just speculation, I kind of have a feeling that's how they'll do it.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I assume they will. The move hasn't been officially announced yet. I assume it won't be until Akamaru comes out on Monday. Until then DGM remains a WSJ series. Also, I somehow expect the SQ version to be treated as a separate entity. Just as PoT started over at volume 1 chapter 1, despite starting right where the original left off, DGM will probably relaunch in November. The Akamaru chapter will either be an unnumbered prelude or chapter 1. Volume 1 - 18 will remain in WSJ's listing. That's just speculation, I kind of have a feeling that's how they'll do it.
There are chapters that haven't been put into a volume, though, and I don't know if it'd be enough even with the Akamaru chapter. Wonder what they'd do about that.

Personally, I hope that's not the case - but then, I'm hoping the SQ thing is only temporary, so... =/ Not like my hopes are based on reality, unfortunately.
 

arsene.lupin

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
55
Reaction score
58
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

sorry little out of topic, Jump SQ come out once a month?
how many pages per chapter?

edit: sorry already see shin POT, once a month, 25 pages per chapter. :D
 
Last edited:

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Didn't it share space with Prince of Tennis in WSJ from 2004 - 2008 anyway? Claymore, Tegami Bachi, Rosario to Vampire, Kure Nai, Shiki, and Ao no Exorcist are pretty good company to keep.
Yeah, I guess the others do kinda match up with DGM, but Shin PoT is just horrible. (I'm referring to the new version of PoT btw)
 
Last edited:

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Jump SQ's series are darker than WSJ and usually more violent (except shin POT). It's the perfect home for D.Gray-man.
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think the move works out well for Hoshino. Hopefully she can keep a regular schedule with SQ and get the series back on pace.

Yeah, I guess the others do kinda match up with DGM, but Shin PoT is just horrible. (I'm referring to the new version of PoT btw)
It's not horrible, and it's not really much different than the old series (aside from the fact that there's only been 11 chapters so far, making it difficult to compare to the 42 volume original series)
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The chapter in Akamaru is numbered 187 if you look at the CP. The reason for putting in Akamaru was probably so Hoshino could create enough material to fill up the current volume (I'm guessing). This gives credence to Kaiten's suggestion that the series in SQ will most likely be a relaunch...meaning it'll start from chapter one. There might even be a change to the title. If they did it I doubt it would be something as innocuous as "Shin D.Gray-man" though.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think it's for the best for D.Gray to make this move to JumpSQ. For once, someone who knows that they can't keep up with weekly manga has moved to someplace more to their suiting. It's not the first time it's happened (the slow movement of Bastard to seinen via Akamaru, Dogashi Kaiden more recently), but I think this is for the best for Hoshino and may stabilize the magazine a bit.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Many of us called the move to SQ. I feel the monthly chapters more or less even out if she needs to go on hiatus so much just to do a weekly series. Hopefully this will be easier on her health-wise. Look forward to the new chapters. I'm glad she realized that monthly would be best for her and ultimately best for the series as well.

And to whoever said Shin PoT is horrible, I agree with you. XD
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

For once, someone who knows that they can't keep up with weekly manga has moved to someplace more to their suiting.
Why do I feel like I know what mangaka your referring to? Why do I feel like moving to a monthly wouldn't help :facepalm Dude seems like Hiramaru from Bakuman, any excuse not to draw.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It felt so good to see DGM on the same list as the popular stuff like One Piece... Ah well.
But... D. Gray-man IS popular. It can outsell almost anything from any magazine other than Weekly Shonen Jump. Even by Jump standards, it was on the upper end of the second tier.
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hey, were there any news for Eyeshield 21 lately? Cause there was an article on wiki saying that, "A one chapter special has been announced for a December 2009 release, it will cover the back stories of characters Shin, Rikku and Gaoh among others."
So I was pretty curious.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Jump comics oricon ranking August 3-9 (courtesy of I'm_Akiyama)

1. Naruto volume 47 (783,827)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

2. BLEACH volume 40 (589,661)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

3. Bakuman volume 4 (242,745)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

4. Shin Prince of Tennis volume 1 (223,834)(Jump Square)

5. Eyeshield 21 volume 36 (165,014)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

6. Toriko volume 5 (139,650)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

7. To LOVE Ru volume 15 (129,490)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

8. Nurarihyon no mago volume 6 (126,714)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

10. Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro volume 23 (85,874)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

11. SKET DANCE volume 9 (75,818)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

13. Kochikame volume 165 (67,601)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

16. PSYREN volume 7 (59,693)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

17. Embalming-THE ANOTHER TALE OF FRANKENSTEIN volume 3 (58,118)(Jump Square)

25. Ohsama no Shitateya ~Sarto Finito~ volume 23 (27,354)(Super Jump)

29. To LOVE Ru -Trouble- #15 Anime DVD Bundle (24,648/36,332)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

30. Hikaru no Go <complete edition> volume 11 (24368/25918)(Weekly Shonen Jump)

All in all, a good week. The top 10 are filled by Jump comics, I'm especially glad about Mago and Toriko. Toriko already surpassed Tora, I think Mago will surpassed Tora in the next volume. Looks like it's still a long way for Psyren.
 
Last edited:

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I don't know how Kaiten does it every week with the rankings, I can't read a single word of Japanese and it took me an hour to do that ranking list with the help of google and amazon.jp. I thought I would give him a week off or something. :D
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

All in all, a good week. The top 10 are filled by Jump comics, I'm especially glad about Mago and Toriko. Toriko already surpassed Tora, I think Mago will surpassed Tora in the next volume. Looks like it's still a long way for Psyren.
But if you consider that To Love also had out the special dvd bundle volume 15, then you gotta add the sales of that to the regular. Then To Love is still above Toriko this week. But I think it and Mago will pass it soon enough.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I know, I just never consider the DVD bundle because it's bullshit for me. Both will surpassed it soon, Tora is a stagnant series, I don't think it sales will increase unlike Mago and Toriko which fanbase is widening.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

And maybe when their sales do increase, Jump will no longer see a need for To Love and just end it
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top