Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It is still a bit early for it but Kagijin also debuted in the bottom 5 so who knows.
I meant for this week :p
I think it will become more like Kagijin later, but who knows?
it could pull of another Sket Dance. (i doubt it)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Medaka is most likely to pull off a Sket Dance.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I don't know why, but I feel like serialization of Neko Wappa is meant for comparison with Rilienthal, like Kuroko and Hoopmen.

In change of subject, is order of new series line-up reflect on the editors' expectation to the new series? By the looks of it, first line-up of new series have high possibility to live longer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

jose

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
91
Reaction score
12
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

2 new gag mangas? ;(
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Neko Wappa isn't a gag manga, although it features comedy, it's not gag.

Not really sure what category I should put it in..
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

2 new gag mangas? ;(
No new gag manga. Both will be 20p series. Neither will be tournament manga, thank god.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Is one of them an action manga?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Is one of them an action manga?
Well, Neko Wappa had a little bit of action from one shot, so it possible to have it in the series, too.

We still don't know what is Asou's new series going to be, so we're not sure whether it'll be action or not. But, I think Asou's artwork fit more with gag.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

What if his artwork drastically changed (better or worse)? I mean the same happened with Kagijin's author. His art was way better when he was working on Hitomi no Catoblepas..
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

What if his artwork drastically changed (better or worse)? I mean the same happened with Kagijin's author. His art was way better when he was working on Hitomi no Catoblepas..
I can't find big differences between Kagijin and Hitomi. Kagijin is better than Hitomi, but it isn't that much drastic change.

Does anyone know any authors that changed the artwork drastically? I know that Kuroko's artwork from one shot is really bad (at least in my pov), but Fujimaki really improved the artwork in actual serialization.
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Most mangakas improve over time, mangas like Reborn!, Bleach, Naruto and many, many more have improved (you can prove it while comparing the first chapter to the latest one).

Ohba (drawer of DeathNote and Bakuman) kind of changed his style so it can apply to younger readers in Bakuman. I like the more serious one though.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hoshino Katsura is the master, or should I say mistress, of changing art styles. Everytime one of her breaks is over and D.Gray-man comes back its art style has changed.

I'm sad to see Akaboshi go. It was definitely improving. Neko Wappa doesn't look that interesting....
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hey guys, talking about drawings reminded me of HunterxHunter...any news?

Next december 3rd will be a year without any updates...
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Assume it will not return this year. If I'm wrong great but I'm not counting on Togashi.

Inoue's art style has changed drastically since Slam Dunk. Compared to Vagabond and Real, Slam Dunk looks like it was illustrated by a 10 year old.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think 2009 is also pretty successful year for Jump.

Kuroko's sales are increasing, Beelzebub is biggest hit in 2009, Medaka has a good possibility that it'll going to sell more on next volume, Ane Dokii's ranking is good and it has good chance to do well on tank sells, lastly Hokenshitsu is having a pretty good start.

If either Neko Wappa or Asou's new series survives, there going to be more 2009 series than 2008 series, which kinds of worry for whether there going to be enough space for 2010 series.
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I thought Toriko was #1 hit of 2009.

I don't think Beelzebub is that good D:
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Toriko started in 2008. Bakuman. is the biggest hit of 2008, Beelzebub for this year.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Inoue's art style has changed drastically since Slam Dunk. Compared to Vagabond and Real, Slam Dunk looks like it was illustrated by a 10 year old.
Oh c'mon...you're being too harsh here xD
Of course, it's not like he had his amazing level of pure awesomeness back then but his art style evolved through the series' run and the last matches had pretty amazing scenes and pages, craploads of them!
And even if Inoue switched to 10 year old drawing style, he's still better than your regular everyday Shounen mangaka, IMO. (I love Inoue, he's one of my personal favs...and I have to agree that his later Seinen titles are "better")

----

And personally, I think 2009 sucked ass. Beelzebub is cool and I'm happy for Kawashita's return but apart from that I don't feel anything...I rather see CP whoring and anniversary pimpage that went a lil' over the top. Spoken in numbers: 11 CPs for Kuroko, 9 for Bleach and Reborn!, 8 for Beelzebub. And let's not forget those 9 Naruto covers...
Also, it's been quite a "sad" year in some way with lots of older titles on the leave: Neuro, ES21[okay...it really had to go, the end was a dragging hell], ToLove and D.Gray switching to monthly.

2008 had a better feeling for me but maybe it's not fair to judge by that year since it's been quite outstanding/above average. So yeah...
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Toriko started in 2008. Bakuman. is the biggest hit of 2008, Beelzebub for this year.
I thought Toriko sold better then Bakuman...

And personally, I think 2009 sucked ass. Beelzebub is cool and I'm happy for Kawashita's return but apart from that I don't feel anything...I rather see CP whoring and anniversary pimpage that went a lil' over the top. Spoken in numbers: 11 CPs for Kuroko, 9 for Bleach and Reborn!, 8 for Beelzebub. And let's not forget those 9 Naruto covers...
Also, it's been quite a "sad" year in some way with lots of older titles on the leave: Neuro, ES21[okay...it really had to go, the end was a dragging hell], ToLove and D.Gray switching to monthly.

2008 had a better feeling for me but maybe it's not fair to judge by that year since it's been quite outstanding/above average. So yeah...
2008 was indeed a better year, with the ongoing manga as well as new manga's. I didn't like this year that much either..

In my opinion Beelzebub is nothing more then a mediocre manga, although I like the artstyle. I don't care so much for Ane Doki, but I must say it's an enjoyable manga. Personally I liked Meister and Hoop Men very much. Both got cancelled along with Bokke-san (which was.. meh). I also liked the other new manga's like Akaboshi and Medaka Box. Hokenshitsu (only read the OS and ch.1) looks like a good manga tho' and Lilienthal was an enjoyable read (ch1 only).

But if you look at last year, I see nothing bad..

Toriko is a freaking great manga, Bakuman is also a good manga. And to be honest, I liked every canceled manga from last year (no.. wait, Chagecha was from 2008 too. horrible crap!), took some time to love Muddy, but I instantly liked Asklepios, K.O. Sen, Dogashi Kaden and Double Arts!

I only read 2 chapters of Bari Haken, and I guess it was okay. Besides these I didn't read the others; Inumaru Dashi & Shiritsu Poseidon Gakuen Kōtōbu. Even the ongoing anime's back then, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach were a lot better then how they are currently. Same goes for pretty much every manga back then..

And about Mago, since that one also started last year, I don't have a real opinion about it, if I had to say something about it now. It's a crappy manga which should've been canceled.

BUT, I'm not even past chapter 10.. so yeah..
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Again, I thought this was a very mediocre year while 2008 was one of the best in recent memory. Psyren, Mago, Toriko, and Bakuman are personal favorites every bit as good as the established series, in Mago and Bakumans case I would now call them better. Even two canceled series, Double Arts and Dogashi Kaden, were good enough that I can't wait for the mangaka to return. This year was mostly garbage. I did not care for Meister, Kuroko is a bit better, Bokke was solid fun nothing more by an over hyped mangaka. Beelzebub is a diamond, a really good series that deserves the hype. Hoopmen was good but should have been in Shonen Magazine. Akeboshi and Kagijin were generic shonen action. Like all Kawashita manga Ane Doki is fluff but pretty fluff with a lot of personality. Medaka Box is also good but nothing great. So 2008 gave me four potential classics that could carry the magazine for years. 2009 has one classic, Beelzebub, and two more good but not exactly great series.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top