Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Meister's already rated, that doesn't help. Hopefully Bokke collapses, it's not bad but I like Kuroko more. Maybe Eyeshield continues to slide and takes up permanent position in the bottom five.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ehhh...Kuroko is really generic to me. I like Bokke-san more.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
If anything Inumaru should be the one out of the mag. The three new series seem to be a lot better (haven't read Kuroko), though I'm a bit biased in that I haven't actually read Inumaru. The art actually looks alright and the kid looks cool from the waist up, but that's it.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
its quite visually funny on occasion, but doesnt exactly break it's own mold... apparently the referential humour is okay... i have nothing against it and prefer it to love trouble, bokke-san, and asklepios at present, but then i'm a gag fanatic, even without more than the worst grasp of the relevant language
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I could barely stomach the first chapter. I think the first page made me laugh and that's it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Big week for new series. Three series that debuted in 2007/2008 made the Oricon top ten this week. Bakuman at four, Mago at five, and Sket cracks the top ten for the first time at nine.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
4 series if you do a top 15 :3

I think once it reaches 6 volumes like Sket, it'll be up there as well.

:]
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
4 series if you do a top 15 :3

I think once it reaches 6 volumes like Sket, it'll be up there as well.

:]
Essentially. Sket has a fanbase now so it's advantage of being a Jump series is starting to really come into play. It could keep going up if it gets even bigger or an anime...maybe never Big 3 or Toriko/Bakuman numbers but bigger.
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
OH!
I have a question to ask you guys since the new cover reminded me of something.
On the corner of the cover, I see an ad for Akamaru Jump.
Are they still selling it?
And it DID come out on 1/10 right?

Thank you!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
OH!
I have a question to ask you guys since the new cover reminded me of something.
Pure super sentai Gintama...I like it. Though who would be the mysterious 6th one: Zura? Sa-chan? Madao!?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Eyeshield 21 #33 ranked first in the Japanese comic rating this week. Nurarihyon no Mago #3 got fifth place. That crap To Love-Ru # 12 got third. Sket Dance #6 got ninth. And the ones that I'm most happy about: Bakuman #1 got fourth, and PSYREN #4 GOT FOURTEENTH PLACE! (Yeah, I know it didn't make the top ten, but at least it was on there). :)
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm surprised those series managed to top One Piece, especially Psyren. I know that the volume came out in December, but I still expected to see to be in the top.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm surprised those series managed to top One Piece, especially Psyren. I know that the volume came out in December, but I still expected to see to be in the top.
Nothing stays at the top that long. Sales seem to halve every week, even for the biggest series. Oricon, as with all chart services, tracks what is sold to the stores rather then customers. Assume that every week more copies are shipped then sold. Each week stores order less as they are just maintaining enough stock that they don't sell out.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
this sales data we've had has accounted for how much has been shipped on the first print and how much of it has sold... which is nice for the current releases, i dont know if it keeps going for earlier releases
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dude, you're disappointed in One Piece's performance? I'm shocked by it. I mean, that volume came out approximately 5 weeks ago, and it's STILL on the top 30. It's sold over 1,567,000 copies; that's gotta be a record of some sort. And even if it isn't, I'd say that it's still extremely impressive. Seriously, I wonder if it's possible to find sales charts for Dragon Ball volumes from when they actually came out, just to compare. Does anybody know where to get 20 year old Oricon rankings?

@Kaiten.Sama: If sales halved for One Piece every week, then in the second week it would sell half a million copies, judging by the last 3 or so volumes. The way One Piece sales seem to work at this time (meaning in the last year or so) is that about a million copies get sold in the first week, and then another 500,000 over the next month. The sales seem to settle at a more calm level after the initial humongously large surge. Either way, I still find One Piece's sales immensely impressive, and I must admit that they do a fair amount for my fan-ego.
 
Last edited:

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think it was One Piece volume 24 that was highest selling tankobon in Japan's history.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wikipedia says it was volume 27, but they used to say it was volume 24. I guess volume 27 caught up. Still, it makes sense that it would be 24, coming off of Alabasta and all... But Wikipedia says that volume 27 sold over 2.63 million copies off of its first printing alone. And I thought volume 52's sales were impressive...
 
Last edited:

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Eh, 24, 27, close enough.

.-,
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top