Well like one piece, some people over here have convinced me to try toriko. Well I'll start with it next week. Slow story or character development isn't bad at all. You need some patience and hope for your patience to be rewarded. I had my difficult moments with one piece's slow progess too but hey look where one piece stands now. So yeah why not giving toriko a chance. It has a reason for being at the top of ToC
Awesome! Glad you're up for giving it a chance - it's skyrocketed to the top of my WSJ favorites list over the course of these 32 chapters (right up there with Neuro, though not at the godly level of OP - yet maybe in ten years it will be

). I assume you know this already, but make sure you give it a few chapters before forming an opinion. Give Toriko's world time to grow on you and become comfortable. Once you reach that point, it's all very smooth, very entertaining sailing.
I'm so glad that Japanese readers have finally recognized a fantastic manga and sent it to the very top of the ToC. As others above have said, it can only get better from here. It's great that it's being given the room to.