Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
ko sen still stands as my most disliked manga since i started reading wsj. it was just so.. lame... stillborn... uninteresting. but then perhaps it wasnt aimed at me, and more at the fxu crowd of participators past adn present in the sport

Rough is a good manga on a sidenote
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Asklepios is definitely next. Neuro is said to be coming to an end right? So there's two series gone. Just as long as Kuroko, Meister, and Mago stick around I'll be happy. I enjoy even the most generic of sports titles :p. I could care less about any of the other series up for possible cancellation.

I still don't think ES21 is that close to cancellation. I do think the U.S./Japan game will be the finale (though I wouldn't mind it continuing for some other form of a tournament or jumping to the NFL), but imo, there are still at least 20 chapters left in the series (I'd say at least 15 for the game and 5 for build up and ending/epilogue). I'm still enjoying it.

Also, does Bokke-san get an official ranking next issue?

Anyways, any news on Hoshino? I miss D. Gray Man.
Well, obviously it has 20 chapters left in it. They obviously wouldn't rush the climax game of the series. My point was that they clearly had plans to do a year long run with this arc. My guess is that around the time during the chapter where they drew lots for the tournament was about the time they decided to cut it short. I can tell, because of them hyping up that guy from the Russian team. Then they decided to take the easy way out since the polls were down.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
According to the main page of Onemanga Hoshino is suffering from a severe wrist injury and is currently recovering. As of right now DGM is expected to return in April. For now I see no reason not to believe it. If a contributor to this thread were to contradict that information I would certainly believe them first.
Seeing as the original WSJ report was that she had intestinal problems and the wrist injury was from a previous hiatus...

This news came from some Spanish manga publisher, by the way. I won't trust anything that doesn't come from Shueisha/Jump itself - if that was the news, why wouldn't people know by now?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Seeing as the original WSJ report was that she had intestinal problems and the wrist injury was from a previous hiatus...

This news came from some Spanish manga publisher, by the way. I won't trust anything that doesn't come from Shueisha/Jump itself - if that was the news, why wouldn't people know by now?
I see. I'll enjoy the news for novelty purposes, for the time being. I certainly won't expect it back any time soon. Hopefully news from a reliable source will be coming soon!
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Asklepios is definitely next. Neuro is said to be coming to an end right? So there's two series gone. Just as long as Kuroko, Meister, and Mago stick around I'll be happy. I enjoy even the most generic of sports titles :p. I could care less about any of the other series up for possible cancellation.
Yeah, the last few chapters have been extremely clear on it ending too, and at the rate things are going it'll probably be done by one of the next couple cancellation rounds.
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
#10 (02/02) :
6 Derniers :
To Love
Sket Dance
Meister
Mago
Askelpios
Jaguar

#11 (09/02) :
Naruto, Bleach, Reborn (Page Couleur)
Kouhei Fujino / One Shot
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
No psyren :XD sweet and awesome and bokke-san's first rating isn't in the danger zone. Then again that doesn't say anything because look where meister stands now after its second or third rating? Anyway if I am going to read one of those two sports manga then it'll be the best of the two

and damned mago please, please, you don't deserve to stand there :(
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's weird that To-Love and Sket are low but not dangerously low...but at the cost of Meister and Mago. This is probably To-Love's highest ranking in a while so it isn't "completely" over...but then again, Psyren at least not in the bottom five is good for it.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
*waits for noodle to come screaming*

Yeah, I think the thing about the series' first ranking being at chapter 6 was BS. I think it's chapter 8 like normal. It's sad to see Meister already dying. I really hope Mago moves back up. I like the series a lot. At least Psyren is alive. Oh, and Sket. :(
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Meister debuting, more or less, at the bottom is a bit shocking. Still, it provides Mago with more protection, and if one of the other two fails that would be even better.
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Meister in the last places??? O.o
OMG!

I hope It's something temporary... I mean, of all the new series, Meister is which I like the most... and not because it´s a futbol manga, but because of the characters, the plot and the drawing style...

Well, I'm looking forward to hear good news about Meister in the next issues of WSJ =P


See ya
Nos vemos
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'd say the only thing I like about that ToC is that Psyren's not in the bottom. What happened Sket?! I really didn't expect Meister to be so low, and I think Mago is going through the same thing as Psyren.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, you guys expected Meister to be in the higher tiers? Kuroko is clearly the better of the two sports manga, and Bokke-san will probably reign even higher in the tiers. Meister is definitely the worst out of the three newcomers.
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Meister is definitely the worst out of the three newcomers.
And why do you say that?

IMO Kuroko's character design is just dull. They all look alike and have no personality. I mean, kuroko disappearing was fun and stuff, but that's it.
Besides, It's the same concept of sport over and over again: "defeat the stronger", "play to become powerful", "get exited when a formidable opponent appears". It's fine, but we've seen that thousands of times already...

In the other hand, meister has a rich character design, all of the main characters (that are more than 2) have a personality that defines them, apart of hairstyles, height, likes & dislikes, past, everything. And Raiho conception of the game, the "play for fun" subject is just refreshing and shows a hole new way to play a sport for a manga.


Those are the reasons why I think Meister is better than Kuroko and why I'm surprised that It's in the lasts positions.
Anyway, you can like kuroko if you wanna, that's not my point. =D


See ya
Nos vemos
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Wow, you guys expected Meister to be in the higher tiers? Kuroko is clearly the better of the two sports manga, and Bokke-san will probably reign even higher in the tiers. Meister is definitely the worst out of the three newcomers.
I'm expecting very little from all the new series. The magazine is very competitive right now. Six series from 2007 and 2008 have established or are establishing themselves. Toriko and Bakuman are already hit series. Despite their frequent low TOC placement Mago, Psyren, and Sket Dance are clearly finding an audience. All three have seen their first week tankobon sales double this January. Inumaru Dashi has consistently been in the front half of the magazine. Meister, Kuroko, and Bokke - san have to compete for votes with both the established series, and the remaining series from 2007 - 2008. Not a pretty prospect. With Asklepios on the way out, one will survive the next cuts. Meister's in trouble, it remains to be seen what will happen with the other two.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
And why do you say that?

IMO Kuroko's character design is just dull. They all look alike and have no personality. I mean, kuroko disappearing was fun and stuff, but that's it.
Besides, It's the same concept of sport over and over again: "defeat the stronger", "play to become powerful", "get exited when a formidable opponent appears". It's fine, but we've seen that thousands of times already...

In the other hand, meister has a rich character design, all of the main characters (that are more than 2) have a personality that defines them, apart of hairstyles, height, likes & dislikes, past, everything. And Raiho conception of the game, the "play for fun" subject is just refreshing and shows a hole new way to play a sport for a manga.


Those are the reasons why I think Meister is better than Kuroko and why I'm surprised that It's in the lasts positions.
Anyway, you can like kuroko if you wanna, that's not my point. =D


See ya
Nos vemos
I just see Kuroko as the new Eyeshield. It seems like it will grow in similar ways. Kise's relationship with Kagami is similar to Sena and Shin's relationship. Meanwhile Kuroko takes Hiruma's role, but with more of Sena's personality. And I think all of the people who were former Eyeshield fans will see the similarities.

Meister just introduces way too many characters at once. And the art is horrible. Meister just stands out as bad to me.

And I'm glad Psyren is climbing it's way up, it's a decent series which I could see becoming the new Bleach eventually, at least popularity wise.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
heiji-sama said:
#10 (02/02) :
6 Derniers :
To Love
Sket Dance
Meister
Mago
Askelpios
Jaguar

#11 (09/02) :
Naruto, Bleach, Reborn (Page Couleur)
Kouhei Fujino / One Shot
*Waits for randal to rub it in my face*

*waits for noodle to come screaming*

Yeah, I think the thing about the series' first ranking being at chapter 6 was BS. I think it's chapter 8 like normal. It's sad to see Meister already dying. I really hope Mago moves back up. I like the series a lot. At least Psyren is alive. Oh, and Sket. :(
ah no rubbing just waiting for my childish screaming!
I'm morbid! my two favourite WSJ series in the bottom 5! ah it could only happen to me... and sometimes you. I think we can still stand by 6 chapters this time. the third chapter of meister was kinda received poorly by the people on here, so its to be expected. but by god do i hope it shoots back up.... or that bokke-san does worse... or that kuroko does worse... or that love trouble does worse... or that mago does worse (sorry mago fans, btu i like this more)... or.... well you see where i'm going.

on the sket note itll keep going if the yoyo comes back to it soon... which even if it takes another month we know will eventually happen

oh and:

GARusashi said:
Wow, you guys expected Meister to be in the higher tiers? Kuroko is clearly the better of the two sports manga, and Bokke-san will probably reign even higher in the tiers. Meister is definitely the worst out of the three newcomers.
yes kuroko is CLEARLY better when your opinions come into play, but the thing here is... opinions, and its funny you see.... differ person to person.

oh and bokke-san is still painfully mediocre so far in by what little i've skimmed over it... shame? no, not really. Nishi didn't really think through how to tell a vague story

EDIT: yeah kuroko has the better art, nothing like a cross-eyed freak woman for a strong female character....
http://read.mangashare.com/Kuroko-no-Basket/chapter-001/page013.html seriously
and being like another series currently running is positive? no... that's being a cheap ripoff. Kuroko showed promise at first but that quickly faded when it revealed it's limitations. i see it going the way of Dogka
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Yay Naruto, coloured pages. Damn I'm probably the only one here who likes Naruto. :(
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Shouldn't there be a mercy rule for series like Asklepios? If a series has been in last place for two straight month, is still under 20 chapters, and cuts are at least a month away why not just replace it with a one shot? The poor mangaka has to know that barring some miracle he'll be canceled anyway. Why not get it over with now rather then drag things out.

Yay Naruto, coloured pages. Damn I'm probably the only one here who likes Naruto.
No, your not alone. I'm a fan, and a Bleach fan too, for what it's worth. I'm looking forward to getting color pages for both (and Reborn!!) the same week. Two straight weeks with Reborn color is nice. Makes me wonder if something big is about to happen.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top