Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
oh and:


yes kuroko is CLEARLY better when your opinions come into play, but the thing here is... opinions, and its funny you see.... differ person to person.

oh and bokke-san is still painfully mediocre so far in by what little i've skimmed over it... shame? no, not really. Nishi didn't really think through how to tell a vague story

EDIT: yeah kuroko has the better art, nothing like a cross-eyed freak woman for a strong female character....
http://read.mangashare.com/Kuroko-no-Basket/chapter-001/page013.html seriously
and being like another series currently running is positive? no... that's being a cheap ripoff. Kuroko showed promise at first but that quickly faded when it revealed it's limitations. i see it going the way of Dogka
And your telling me this is good art? http://www.onemanga.com/Meister/5/16-17/

I didn't say Kuroko being better was a fact. It's higher in the ToC though, meaning it's clearly more popular. And just because it's similar, and will probably establish itself in similar ways (after this match, they'll slowly start to fill up their team with random people who are probably a bit more interesting then the current regulars)

I guess it makes no sense to argue about something that will just come back as THATS YOUR OPINION
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
eh that page lacks backgroudn but its still pretty nice and characterised.

and the opinion thing can rage forever, i just like being a bitch
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Very happy to see Psyren not in the bottom five. If I had to chose between Kuroko and Meister I would chose Kuroko only because I like basketball more than soccer. I will give Meister credit- the character designs are pretty cool. Bokke-san just needs time. But I think that all of them could be replaced with something better.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shouldn't there be a mercy rule for series like Asklepios? If a series has been in last place for two straight month, is still under 20 chapters, and cuts are at least a month away why not just replace it with a one shot? The poor mangaka has to know that barring some miracle he'll be canceled anyway. Why not get it over with now rather then drag things out.
I think that ever since Buzz challenged the Church to recognize the Medill family, the manga-ka has known s/he would get cancelled. I mean, challenging the Church and doing those kinds of surgeries was obviously a move more suited to the end of the series. I think the manga-ka was told s/he'd be cancelled and began rushing to wind up the story as quickly as possible, and once the story has a decent ending, Asklepios will be finished. That was what I thought until the most recently scanlated chapter, at least, but with Buzz managing to escape from the Church and the series not ending, I guess I was wrong about the manga-ka jumping to the ending after Pare died. That or it will end after the rematch with Caligula, or maybe Asklepios isn't even getting canceled, it just gets put right above Jaguar for some reason other than low popularity. I think that last one's very unlikely, though.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
To give Asklepios some time to end, I guess. Is it actually coming to a natural conclusion? It sucks even more when bad series get cut off because the cuts were so fast.

Darn it, Mago, get back up there. It's one of the only Jump series I consistently... read... past tense... but that's not the point! Here's hoping it's just a temporary drop and the fanbase is big enough to survive.

I'm sick and tired of all the dumb rumours being spread about D.Gray-Man's return. Does Jump EVER know anything about its series three months in advance?
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yay Naruto, coloured pages. Damn I'm probably the only one here who likes Naruto. :(
I buy Naruto, but I know what I am buying is not good. XD

Naw, I'm playing, it's alright.

Yeah, Kuroko is garbage. It's completely uninteresting in every way. Meister is soooo much better. I hate soccer and can stand to read it.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
None of the three really managed to keep my interest, but I'd like to see Bokke-san survive the most. I like some of the ideas it has going and it really just needs to get it's story together.

For the sports series' I'd go with Kuroko personally. But I'm leaning towards all three failing now.
 

ZoddGuts

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
67
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
None of the three really managed to keep my interest, but I'd like to see Bokke-san survive the most. I like some of the ideas it has going and it really just needs to get it's story together.

For the sports series' I'd go with Kuroko personally. But I'm leaning towards all three failing now.
Agreed so far I'm liking Bokke-san the most it also has potential to be really good if the manga-ka starts to expand certain parts of the story. As for the sports series yeah... none of them were that interesting I slightly like Kuroko more then Meister but that isn't saying much.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I buy Naruto, but I know what I am buying is not good. XD

Naw, I'm playing, it's alright.

Yeah, Kuroko is garbage. It's completely uninteresting in every way. Meister is soooo much better. I hate soccer and can stand to read it.
this post is satanic despite the truths contained within (points to those who understand)

and i don't get people liking bokke-san... it's so bland and unexplained, and when it does explain its just lame through a sense of 'oh shit i forgot'
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Hm, I have to admit that Meister is adorable to me because of the hidden puns. I guess, you can't see the 'real fun' within when you don't get them ^^;

Though, I didn't expected WSJ harcore readers to know the non-WSJ references all through the story (aka those who actually send cards in), so I can understand the rating. The volume sellings will be more interesting.

Bokke-san and Kuroko are already dropped by me. Way too generic and boring, I have better manga from other mags to read for my limited free time.
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
this post is satanic despite the truths contained within (points to those who understand)

and i don't get people liking bokke-san... it's so bland and unexplained, and when it does explain its just lame through a sense of 'oh shit i forgot'

So i'm assuming you like Meister but not Naruto? *please let me be wrong*
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i lurve meister XD

but no not naruto. its exceedingly generic and uninteresting most of the time. it's only saving grace is that the destroy konoha arc is the first time in a LONG time i've even cared about the plot or the events within. But then Suigetsu and Sai are my favourite characters so i'm more the one to find kishi still has no idea how to spread out the story amongst his large ensemble cast.

if it's any consolation i'm an elitist prick who tries to have more refined tastes than generic tripe (some things are excluded but only when they perfect genericism like black cat did), so my opinions only apply if you're as pretentious as me...

on some level i hope some non-fanboys understand my dickishness
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i lurve meister XD

but no not naruto. its exceedingly generic and uninteresting most of the time. it's only saving grace is that the destroy konoha arc is the first time in a LONG time i've even cared about the plot or the events within. But then Suigetsu and Sai are my favourite characters so i'm more the one to find kishi still has no idea how to spread out the story amongst his large ensemble cast.

if it's any consolation i'm an elitist prick who tries to have more refined tastes than generic tripe (some things are excluded but only when they perfect genericism like black cat did), so my opinions only apply if you're as pretentious as me...

on some level i hope some non-fanboys understand my dickishness
I hope you read other comics outside of JUMP then. JUMP is filled with the most generic of generic (aside from One Piece ;) )
 

shinigamikender

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Out of all the three newbies, I definitely only really like Bokke-san. It's suspenseful and Hinomiya definitely has a strange charm to him as a lead. Not to mention, that after so many volumes of Muhyo, I know Nishi and I trust him to have a great story to tell.

While Meister is cute-- Raiho has to be my favorite sports series lead in ages --it doesn't seem like it's capable of breaking out of the generic-ness that plagues the genre and the fact that so many of the main team are caricatures more than characters makes it hard to get into the story.

I can't say I've gotten into Kuroko yet, though. Even being used to Neuro's level of art, I couldn't get past the blandness of the art for its debut cover.
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
some things are excluded but only when they perfect genericism like black cat did
lol black cat.
perfect being the key word there. so well rounded its not funny


hmm everyone should stop taking this stuff so seriously. we all love manga, its why we're here, what we like for what reasons doesn't really matter. just chill and enjoy it :)
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Children's comics books are deadly serious here.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm in full agreement. I'm about as big a fan boy as you can get, but in terms of "generic" manga, I follow the old school expression of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :)

p.s Does anyone else think it's too early for Raiho and his team to be playing one of Chiba's big four? Same goes for Kuroko and the Miracles.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
whilst i primarily follow jump (more old jump like Cobra or Rookies, or even captain tsubasa) i do dabble outside of it.. mainly to review stuff but when it comes down to it jump can come up with plenty of original stuff... usually never as successful as others..

but as long as it doesn't end up with anything as shit as grappler baki or inuyasha (my two most disliked manga series of all time) it's fine.

and ahahah yes the manga world is serious business, if only cause of my aforementioned elitist bastard nature... that and when ya have a hobby ya put so much stock into it kidna overwhelms ya
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Kinda surprised how opinions differ about meister and kuroko... Anyway I am sure one of those will survive. Jump introduced two sport series and one will get its chance and will take it. That one, is the one I will read later one

Bokke, sorry to say, but how people are already categorising that manga as dropped, not interesting, etc... Well I hope for those it'll survive, nishi show them what you'll rbing like you did with muhyo :p
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
lol black cat.
perfect being the key word there. so well rounded its not funny


hmm everyone should stop taking this stuff so seriously. we all love manga, its why we're here, what we like for what reasons doesn't really matter. just chill and enjoy it :)
Black Cat isn't just generic. Black Cat is AWESOMELY generic. It takes everything that is great about jump and does it in such a way that is so true to Jump that I can't help but not love it. It's kind of like someone having the name "Karate Man." On the surface it seems stupid and generic but when you think about it, how kickass would it be if that was your name. (Thank you Screwattack.com)

As for Naruto, the first few arcs of Naruto were good. Aftet the timeskip is where it fell apart.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top