Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Do you really think It's a matter of money?? I mean, I know this are not the golden years, but I'd think that with the great hits that WSJ has, they wouldn't have money troubles... =P


See ya
Nos vemos
 

¬Bol

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
357
Reaction score
104
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Also happened with Slam Dunk, Rurouni Kenshin and several others... But It's true that we're talking about more than a decade ago, so....

In fact, I don't know why they stopped making full colored chapters, btw... =P


See ya
Nos vemos
Also happened with Bleach #162 and Eyeshield 21 #168 (and I think with many others...)
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Do you really think It's a matter of money?? I mean, I know this are not the golden years, but I'd think that with the great hits that WSJ has, they wouldn't have money troubles... =P


See ya
Nos vemos
maybe the just dont want to "waste" money
they already save money with the low quality of the paper or
maybe it's up to the mangaka himself??
well,the only thing i know that it's really sad they dont do that anymore :(
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Full color chapters still occasionally happen. The two that comes to mind now are Bleach (the chapter Ichigo reveals his Bankai) and ES21 (the beginning of the Kanto tournament). It's just rare.

Regarding To-Love: compared to a bunch of other series, it could be rather easy to write an "express ending" if it comes to that point. The style is just really loose and they just need to clean up a couple loose ends before starting the "final story".
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Well, thanx for answering, I didn't remember that =P

Now, were those chapters very very special ones? I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning of WSJ for making full color chapters.


See ya

EDIT:

StrangerAtaru said:
Full color chapters still occasionally happen. The two that comes to mind now are Bleach (the chapter Ichigo reveals his Bankai) and ES21 (the beginning of the Kanto tournament). It's just rare.

Regarding To-Love: compared to a bunch of other series, it could be rather easy to write an "express ending" if it comes to that point. The style is just really loose and they just need to clean up a couple loose ends before starting the "final story".

Well, that answers my question =P
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I think it depends on the mangaka as well, if they want to or have the time then why not? It probably costs, but the full coloured chapter might increase popularity as well.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think it depends on the mangaka as well, if they want to or have the time then why not? It probably costs, but the full coloured chapter might increase popularity as well.
agreed.
everytime akira toriyama had to make colored pages he did the whole chapter:tem so it might really depend on the mangaka if he wants to do it or not or if he plans something special and has to ask his editor or jump if he could get the whole chapter in color...
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium

The Adamant Dragon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2008
Messages
947
Reaction score
404
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
With all that being said, a whole chapter coloured for "Naruto" is very likely, Since the manga is about to celebrate its 10th Anniversery of publication.

Kishimoto is most likely trying to give 110% this year for his readers. But anyway...

I'm really surprised how much "Bakuman" has gotten so popular and so fast. Let's hope it stays that way.
 

Dhazard

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
439
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, there was a full coloured chapter of hikaru no go.
 

Cassius

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 19, 2008
Messages
150
Reaction score
363
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Just for the record: Volume 16 of prince of tennis chapter 132 was fully coloured over here. I don't know if it was general or only french published one
Uhm PoT in his spanish edition also have the chapter 132 fully coloured.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
With all that being said, a whole chapter coloured for "Naruto" is very likely, Since the manga is about to celebrate its 10th Anniversery of publication.

Kishimoto is most likely trying to give 110% this year for his readers. But anyway...

I'm really surprised how much "Bakuman" has gotten so popular and so fast. Let's hope it stays that way.
Well there's coloured pages for Naruto next week, but don't know if its the full chapter.

BTW does anyone know what "kantou" means?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
agreed.
everytime akira toriyama had to make colored pages he did the whole chapter:tem so it might really depend on the mangaka if he wants to do it or not or if he plans something special and has to ask his editor or jump if he could get the whole chapter in color...
this was more back in the point where there'd be those chapters that kidna focus on one colour with some others though, like the raditz chapter being mainly red. cant think of the name for them but when you see bulma with red hair you remember why we stick with standard colour pages nowadays
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
this was more back in the point where there'd be those chapters that kidna focus on one colour with some others though, like the raditz chapter being mainly red. cant think of the name for them but when you see bulma with red hair you remember why we stick with standard colour pages nowadays
it was strange!the first chapter was full colored,but only the first 10 pages or so had wonderful and beautiful colors and the rest was held in like 3 colors only

btw does anyone know where i can find the "border picture" of the jump cover #8(where characters of naruto make a relay race,you can find it on this site,but the border picture of issue #8 isnt uploaded there and i cant find it here neither)?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
oh they were called bichrome colour pages, mainly cause the it's be two colours just to add some life to the chapter. we don't have them now because they were kinda shit, as i'm insistent on pointing out
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is one of the new series supposed to get a color chapter or something?
 

ZoddGuts

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
67
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yikes at Meister bomba, looks like it could be the next Askelpios/Bari Haken a new series collapsing rather quickly and never recovering from it, well see if this is the case next week.

To-love doing better not surprising since the rankings are based on 8 weeks ago that's around when Celine's story arc started which had some nice character development. So the rankings for it should be higher then usual.


I still have love for To Love. I'd personally like to see it end naturally, sad part is that I can't tell when that is. :darn
Don't worry To-love safe for most of this year, it has 3 OVA's coming this year with the third coming out in 2009-08-04. Wouldn't be surprise if they end up making a 2nd season considering the anime sold very well. Also the To-love manga is one of the best selling jump series outselling Sket Dance by 3 times it and Psyren by 4 times and outsold Bakuman in their first week's sales.

To-love Vol 12: 157,865
Bakuman Vol 1 154,675
Sket Dance Vol 6: 50,977
Psyren Vol 4: 37,581

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-01-14/japanese-comic-ranking-january-6-12

To-love's manga sales alone is a strong safety net.
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Yikes at Meister bomba, looks like it could be the next Askelpios/Bari Haken a new series collapsing rather quickly and never recovering from it, well see if this is the case next week.
naaaaaaaaa early ranking, give it a few weeks

hmmm so to love might'n ending?
been thinking of reading it, except everyones been adamant about it ending soon
i never shy away from expanding my horizons
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jump #10 (02/02) :
Toriko (Couv & Pc)
One Piece
Naruto
Baku-man
Bleach
Reborn (Pc)
Psyren
Es21
Inu
Neuro
Kochi
Gintama (Pc)
Bokke-san
Kuroko
Akatsuki Akira / Medaka Box
To Love
Sket Dance
Meister
Mago
Askelpios
Jaguar
Am I the only one majorly disappointed by this ToC (other than One Piece being #1, I always smile a little when I see One Piece ahead of Naruto ;)). Kuroko and Meister below Bokke-san, ugh. Worst of all Mago, what the fuck dude. Get back up, dammit. I guess Mago's moment of truth will be in about 3 weeks though, when the awesome chapters get rated.

Also, am I the only one here that doesn't like Bakuman or Psyren? Everyone's getting so excited about their positions and I find myself disappointed. If it weren't for the inside info it gives on Jump, I would have already dropped Bakuman b/c the story, imo, is not that great. And Psyren, well, I think I just read it out of habit now a days. I never really could get into it. I would much rather have Kuroko, Meister, and Nurarihyon around than those two.

Lastly, yay for Toriko colors, and Naruto gets another color page huh? That's already two this year (by this year I mean the magazine year), correct? If so, does that mean it will get quite a few this year due to its 10th anniversary?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top