Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ehh...I still think Bleach will end when Kubo wants. Hopefully that's not in too long.
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
He has said that he had no plans to when he was in the US a few months back.

And honestly, why would he?

He's making tons of money with it, and for someone who is unable to write a plot like he is, he'd be retarded to stop.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For those hoping for Bleach's demise (or at least Toriko and Bakuman to finally take their position above it), Kewl0120 just reminded me of something: the manga is still being ranked for the Karakura fights. Once it gets to Ichigo/Ulquiorra and the current stuff, we'll see whether or not the series really is starting it's descent. (hopefully the answer is yes...but unfortunately I don't live in Japan and send in the postcards week after week)
Considering how that fight will be just as bad if not worse I'm hoping Bakuman and Toriko pull ahead. Hell, I'd love if Bleach even fell below Reborn in terms of rankings and sales eventually.

Current Bleach does not deserve to be ahead of so many series. -____-

Ehh...I still think Bleach will end when Kubo wants. Hopefully that's not in too long.
If I remember a recent interview of his right I believe he has no real plans on ending the series. I think it was in that same interview where he said he creates the characters first and then the plot....which is apparent. >.>

-edit-

Beaten to it! XD
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Isn't he already rich enough so he never has to work another day in his life? o___o
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Even if he is, he said the interview that he enjoys writing Bleach. Just like Oda, he enjoys his story, and it shows. When you truly love what you do, other people will enjoy reading it. So it's not just about the money.
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Even if he is, he said the interview that he enjoys writing Bleach. Just like Oda, he enjoys his story, and it shows. When you truly love what you do, other people will enjoy reading it. So it's not just about the money.
He enjoys writing & drawing Bleach because it pays his bills and allows him to have enough money to buy whatever (or almost) he wants.

"When you truly love what you do, other people will enjoy reading it."

???????????

Talk about a ridiculous statement. No surprise it came from you, though. There are literally thousands of managakas who have gotten their manga cancelled, even though they loved it more than their children.

I'm pretty sure he "loved" Zombie Powder, and how'd that end up again? Oh, right, they cancelled it because it sucked.

It's because of the money he enjoys it. There's no plot, just characters with swords fighting towards no real point. And he makes boatloads of money out of it. Hell, I'd enjoy it too if people were stupid enough to buy that kind of garbage to make me rich.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
That was harsh critique, please don't let it develop into bashing >.>

But yeah, not too untrue. I enjoy Bleach for the characters and very few great scenes since there's nothing else to enjoy and at very last a 'plot' (actually I don't enjoy the whole arc at the moment, that's why I have it on hold -_-;).

Kubo has built up very sympathetic characters, it's really a shame that they basically play around without real purpose. But that also shows that a manga can get carried by a single feature although I doubt that wouldn't have been enough if the beginning wasn't promising and Bleach definitely was a decent shounen up till the Soul Society arc. The mangaka feels very demotivated to me and that brings the whole thing downhill .__.
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He enjoys writing & drawing Bleach because it pays his bills and allows him to have enough money to buy whatever (or almost) he wants.

"When you truly love what you do, other people will enjoy reading it."

???????????

Talk about a ridiculous statement. No surprise it came from you, though. There are literally thousands of managakas who have gotten their manga cancelled, even though they loved it more than their children.

I'm pretty sure he "loved" Zombie Powder, and how'd that end up again? Oh, right, they cancelled it because it sucked.

It's because of the money he enjoys it. There's no plot, just characters with swords fighting towards no real point. And he makes boatloads of money out of it. Hell, I'd enjoy it too if people were stupid enough to buy that kind of garbage to make me rich.

I was only saying that he probably won't end it because he enjoys drawing it so much. I am sure the money does not hurt but based on what he said, it seems there is more to it than that. I also meant that if you aren't drawing manga just for money but for the passion then people will recieve it better. You interpreted what I said completely wrong. But for a jerk who always thinks they are right, smashes others' opinions, and picks fights for no reason, I am not surprised. Also, answer me this: if Bleach is so terrible, why is it so popular? For a manga with no plot, it seems to be doing pretty well, eh?
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Oh, so now everything has to be clarified in some particular manner. Oh I meant this, oh I meant that. Talk about not knowing the language at all. Are you sure you're American?

Also, go and reread your post. Do you honestly and truly believe it sells because he "loves" it? If you really believe that, then enjoy your rotting garbage.

I was only saying that he probably won't end it because he enjoys drawing it so much.
Then say so next time. Some of us just aren't psychic, and some of us actually understand enough English to know that you didn't mean that at all when you said "he said the interview that he enjoys writing Bleach. Just like Oda, he enjoys his story, and it shows.".

I am sure the money does not hurt but based on what he said, it seems there is more to it than that.
There really isn't anything more to it than that. Money, money, and more money. Before Bleach he was just another mangaka trying to find a way to make a living drawing.

I also meant that if you aren't drawing manga just for money but for the passion then people will recieve it better.
You sure like to clarify things. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but... How am I supposed to know that when you don't say so? Make sure to not drop out from your English classes, okay?

You interpreted what I said completely wrong.
There's nothing to "interpret". I quoted every single word you wrote, and replied to exactly what you said. Exactly what you said. But sure, try to find some way to blame your English deficiencies on me because I'm a jerk. I'm sure you'll find a way.

But for a jerk who always thinks they are right, smashes others' opinions, and picks fights for no reason, I am not surprised.
Again, your English fails. I don't "think" I'm right, I know I'm right.

Also, answer me this: if Bleach is so terrible, why is it so popular? For a manga with no plot, it seems to be doing pretty well, eh?
Good question! The higher the sells, the better that manga must be! Makes perfect sense!

Not.

It's for the same reason the WWE is a billion-dollar company, the same reason why toys sell, the same reason why [good] MMORPG's make millions, because they sell to pre-pubescent children. All of these things are the definition of garbage, yet they're all massive successes in terms of profit. Why? Because children, and people with the mindset of children, just absolutely love it. Johnny wants? Well mommy will get!

Name me one Seinen manga that has book sales comparable to any Shounen mega-seller. Just one. Like, Berserk, Gantz, XXXHolic, etc. You won't find one. You won't find any seinen manga that's sold 50+ million copies. Is it because these series are bad? Not necessarily (You could make a strong arguement for XXXHolic & Gantz, but that's another debate for another day), it's because they're sold at an older audience; An audience that doesn't go crazy for comics, fake wrestling, plastic toys and the such.

Seriously, this doesn't require a business degree, look around you. Look at all of the ads for toys and video games you see in magazines or on television, then compare how many presents a 30 year old man gets compared to a 10 year old boy come Christmas time. Open your eyes. Then use just a little bit of common sense.
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Also, answer me this: if Bleach is so terrible, why is it so popular? For a manga with no plot, it seems to be doing pretty well, eh?
Because there's probably a huge contingency of 12-year-old boys who love nothing so much as mindless action, preferably with a few huge-breasted women involved, who don't know there are better manga out there - or even if they did, wouldn't know how to appreciate them. Consider the typical discussion about Bleach or Naruto these days - they're pretty damn embarrassing.

Edit: And what GGpX said. Got beat to it.
 
Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The general populous of people are not exactly intelligent. That's all I am going to say.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What does being intelligent have to do with which manga series you prefer? If someone prefers Bleach or Naruto for the "mindless violence" does that make their opinions any less valid than self-proclaimed "intellectuals" who have nothing better to do than look down on others? If you prefer other stuff than that's fine, but to actually berate someone for feeling differently is ignorant. Some people actually come to this forum to discuss and debate, not to argue over petty things like children. And taking cheap shots is just a little juvenile for 20 year olds, don't you think GGpX?
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Okay guys, let's stop this discussion now. Enough because this is getting out of hands.
It's kinda sad to see how a peaceful topic with peaceful posts is turning into some flaming topic with something that doesn't have anything to do with the purpose of this thread.

So let's keep this topic related. Stop discussing personal. Last warning
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^On that note, can anyone tell me how often cuts are made from Jump? Do they have set dates and seasons or does Jump just decided to kick something out when they find something better?

Just want to know since I'm wondering when certain series may or may not be removed. *cough*asklepios*cough*
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I thought cuts were made about every three months or so. I'm surprised Asklepios hasn't gotten the axe yet for whatever reason, though.

(And on that note, are you guys sure that there'd be a spot for DGM when it comes back? I mean, without having to cut another series? Well, anyway.)
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Cuts are usually made about every 3-4 months. This usually happens when new series enter.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Yes and I think we are getting close to a next cut. It often happen jump releases a serie of one shots in several issues and mostly those are a signal that a cut is about to come.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Will Asklepios be the only one that is cut or might there be others?

ps. sorry about earlier...
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Will Asklepios be the only one that is cut or might there be others?

ps. sorry about earlier...
Well that'll depend. Sometimes it happens there's one axe for one serie. Sometimes there are more axes for more series. Latter happens more often these recent years
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I thought cuts were made about every three months or so. I'm surprised Asklepios hasn't gotten the axe yet for whatever reason, though.

(And on that note, are you guys sure that there'd be a spot for DGM when it comes back? I mean, without having to cut another series? Well, anyway.)
Cuts are usually made about every 3-4 months. This usually happens when new series enter.
Yes and I think we are getting close to a next cut. It often happen jump releases a serie of one shots in several issues and mostly those are a signal that a cut is about to come.
Ah, alright. This is nice to know. Hoping that I see something interesting come in during the next round. The newest series that came in last time haven't appealed to me at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top