Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
I guess people like the cover because Naruto with Fukasaku on his shoulder look cool, and I've seen Nagato fans liking this cover because they think the eye in the background is Nagato. The Pain bodies aren't that amazing, but go well with this cover.

I'm looking forward to the next volume cover or the one after that because it should include Naruto's new outfit.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Asklepios should've at least tried for an interesting cover... I like the Naruto and Bleach ones (especially the fact that Pa frog is in the cover and both his and Naruto's frog eyes create a cool, yet small contrast with the blues). The Neuro cover is awesome (loving the censored cigarette holding hand) and I also pretty much like Inudashi's cover, due to the colours and colouring style.

Anyway, I've got a question about one-shots: Are they in any way rated or given criticism? I'd like to know this due to the fact that a lot of series start out as one-shots. Do one-shots act as pilots for series, in that readers comment on what they liked and/or disliked?
 

¬Bol

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
357
Reaction score
104
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I love Naruto's cover!
I love the dark bg, the six profiles of Pain, the big Rinnegan and Sage Naruto with Fukasaku on his shoulder. That shining eyes in the dark are awesome!
I think I'll buy it in February, I can't wait till it arrives in Italy >.<
 

Dhazard

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
439
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Damn, that rinnengan reminds me of Truth's eye of FMA anime >.>
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Jaguar's cover is awesome, best of the month. Asklepios' cover is superior to the actual series. Kind of sad.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I knew Yumichika would be on the Bleach cover... it's okay. The Naruto cover is not bad either. I do agree with whoever said that the Neuro cover was the best. It almost makes me care that the series will probably be ending soon. Also, does anyone know how to get ahold of the Jump Square covers for this February? I hope Embalming is one...
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
THe Naruto cover is pretty nice but then I notice how the Pain heads all look Copy and Pasta'd to the front. It might be nice symbolism or something but that really throws me off. They don't have bodies or anything just floating heads. Looks like someone got a ruler and then cut everything below that ruler creating a super straight line. Everything else does look pretty good.

But the Neuro cover is fucking awesome I'm going to be seriously depressed when it goes out. Kasai looked awesome with that smoke,it's especially hilarious how theirs a no-smoking sign on it. Which fits perfectly with the most recent chapter. I'm getting hyped up for this.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Damn this month has some neat covers imho...gotta love Jaguar's and Neuro's.
Followed by Inumaru's (what's happened to me...I LIKE the cover for no-pants-kid *shock*) and Toriko's.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Asklepios should've at least tried for an interesting cover... I like the Naruto and Bleach ones (especially the fact that Pa frog is in the cover and both his and Naruto's frog eyes create a cool, yet small contrast with the blues). The Neuro cover is awesome (loving the censored cigarette holding hand) and I also pretty much like Inudashi's cover, due to the colours and colouring style.

Anyway, I've got a question about one-shots: Are they in any way rated or given criticism? I'd like to know this due to the fact that a lot of series start out as one-shots. Do one-shots act as pilots for series, in that readers comment on what they liked and/or disliked?
one shots arent rated in teh toc, but the other side of the poll postcard thigns will be a questionaire about the oneshot, so they gather the info that way and such.

deidaragrimmmmmmmjow said:
Also, does anyone know how to get ahold of the Jump Square covers for this February? I hope Embalming is one...
no. no it's not :D Rosario vampire II #something, shiki volume 4(WOO) and genkaku picasso #1. embalmings releases have been fucked up from the start... but ah well more shiki to please me endlessly.


moving on, Inumaru Dashi's finally showing you guys it's positive qualitys, the subject matter may be a bit lame, and abotu 50% of the jokes are kinda flat, but the stylised art and the amazing colouring is really the selling point of the manga... seriously it's horrible to look at it and think awesome considering the subject matter, but the colours are that good!
 

shinigamikender

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2006
Messages
52
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Loving on the Yumichika for the Bleach cover, but my favorite has definitely got to be Kasai for the Neuro cover. I'm really glad all the Bloodline members have gotten a chance to be highlighted on them (now, to just wait for Eleven to show up on the next one).
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Another lame Bleach cover. Surprise surprise.

I love both the Naruto and Reborn covers. Even if that particular volume of Reborn features Genkishi. -___-

Neuro and Toriko have good ones as well.
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
#11 (09/02) :
Mago
Neuro
Meister
Asklepios (End)
Jaguar

#12 (16/02) :
One Piece (Couv & Pc)
Kuroko (Pc)
You Matsuyuki / One Shot
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
It was about time asklepios ended. Too much credit for that

Seems kuroko and bokke are doing better than meister. Meister is prolly one of the two sports manga that will be axed (I always thought two sports after each other was odd. One of two would get more audience, making the other the lamb that had to be slaughtered). :( Mago not out of the danger zone but iirc the current hiyaki yakko isn't rated yet. Good that sket dance got out of it and no psyren and bokke in the danger zone. Nice (except for mago)
 
Last edited:

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Meister will go out before the 20th chapter at this rate. Kuroko will probablly survive and do better with the added fans of Meister but it'll probably only float by.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Looks like Meister's going to be the cushion for Mago until it climbs up again, much like Asklepios was the cushion for... well, lots of other series (Psyren, etc.).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
With how good the current arc is I could imagine Psyren still in or near the top five. I hope Mago digs itself out. With the first anniversary coming up I doubt it will be canceled right now.

So Asklepios has been put out of it's misery and Meister is the next to go.
 
Last edited:

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
With Asklepios being canceled, any chances of something taking it's place? Or it's spot will remain unfilled until the next round of new serializations?

I really like the state JUMP is in now though. Once Eyeshield ends, and one of the sports manga get canceled, I think JUMP will be at a really good state. HxH will probably be back, D. Gray Man will probably be back and hopefully back with a DON (because it kind of sucked for a volume or two), Toriko is amazing, One Piece and Naruto are at some of their most exciting moments. Only manga that kind of sucks right now but isn't going anywhere is Bleach.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
With Asklepios being canceled, any chances of something taking it's place? Or it's spot will remain unfilled until the next round of new serializations?
The next round of new series will probably be in March. Expect two to three new series and the return of Hunter x Hunter. Meister will probably be the last of the current round of cuts. By early March their will be enough chapters for two series. Right now the wild card is how many more slots are needed and what will be canceled/ended between Asklepios and Meister.

Did I mention the raws for Medaka Box look awesome!
 
Last edited:

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We all knew it was coming for a long long while now, but Uchimizu Tooru fails yet again... Asklepios makes three of his manga that have been canceled almost immediately now. I rather doubt that Shueisha will give him another chance.

I still haven't read Meister and am now wondering whether I should just stay away at this point. If I read it and like it - as I am likely to, given how much I love the sport it's based on - then I'll just be brokenhearted that it crashed. Neuro fell back down, which sucks but was expected, and Mago is still low (but as everyone's been saying, there's not necessarily reason to worry overly yet). So overall I'm alright with the state of the ToC's bottom.

I'm looking forward to two or three new series, especially if they bring back any mangaka who've already been serialized.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, such a sad story for Asklepios but at least it had a bit of a chance...and didn't do anything with it. It is weird though that we don't have too many entries this time showing that at least To-Love and Psyren (and Sket) aren't doing too badly enough to be noted. Based on past history, we probably will get our next new series in late February or early March. As for any other cuts for the moment...seeing that Neuro isn't done yet, Meister may end up taking the fall.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top