Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Bokke might be an exception because it's from an established mangaka. As for the other series...
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I could not agree more on that. I'm sure others will articulate my opinions on the points you raised better than I can, so I will just leave it at that for now.
Kind of like, Reborn! ?
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Randal: We really can't do too much considering the cut and add scenario of Jump. The editors approach essentially is "throw a bunch of series on a wall and see how long they stick", particularly with the newbies. Whenever there are cuts, there will always be new series (though this time it's also with D.Gray's return and don't forget HxH) and whenever there are new series, then something, old or new, will fall or fail. Compare that to Sunday, where even series that seem like failing don't leave the magazine for a long, long time. Or Magazine, which feels more like a utopia in that the magazine positions jump so much that you can never tell the failures from the successes. The fact is that we're stuck with this and that hopefully the better series will ride all this crap out while the stupider ones collapse and go away. (though it's easy to say the former for runaways like Toriko and Bakuman, I am starting to worry about Mago...and personally I have a feeling that we may not have to worry about Sket too much longer in this position ;p)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Mago doesn't worry me, not yet. I think it's turning into D. Gray Man or To Love Ru, a series that survives off sales but doesn't poll well. Sket really worries me; it's sales improved but not enough to overcome it's poor position. I think that at least one of the new series, most likely Bokke, will end by the summer.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hope Crimson King gets serialized, the art is slick and it's about supernatural type things (werewolves, vampires, frankenstein's monster etc)

Definitely one of my favorite one shots lately (this and the one by Hitomi no Catebolas' mangaka) I'm a huge battle manga fan though.
 

bleach91

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
113
Reaction score
762
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
France
Credits: to fujitak from Ritual scan forge



A Baby-Sitter manga, very promising, isn't it? :D
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I only disagree on the grounds that I really like Bokke. The first two chapters were dull but it gets much more interesting after that. By Jump standards it's quite a unique series. Meister was and Kuroko remains, fun reads. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll keep reading Kuroko but if canceled I won't miss it much.
damn you just checkmated me there, i have no criticism of how it's far and above the more generic jump concepts


and i'd like beelzebabu to be a good gag manga with NO battle manga stuff. but then battle manga's getting boring as shit to keep have coming in (toriko is the obvious exception) and there's never enough gag manga in the anthology at once nowadays (yusha and taizo living for far too short a time). beelzebabu could suck bums and i'd still be glad that the genre is getting more exposure


EDIT: further art VERY PROMISING
 
Last edited:

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I think that at least one of the new series, most likely Bokke, will end by the summer.
Besides Meister, you mean? =P

I sort of wish Beelze Baby or whatever it is could just be a comedy series - not really a gag-type series, but ordinary comedy. Couldn't necessarily last for long, but...
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
A comedy/battle manga would probably be the ideal. Something like One Piece for example.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Based on the raws for the one shot, it looks like actionless comedy. Quite welcome actually. While I'm an action fan, there is a limit. Certainly it won't be a One Piece style series. I'm thinking more akin to Gintama or Sket. Anyways, the art looks good, the one shot looked funny. I'm sold.

damn you just checkmated me there, i have no criticism of how it's far and above the more generic jump concepts
Hurray for lowered expectations.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well i think it'll stand a good chance of at least getting one chapter scanlated, and that'll do me nicely.

and lowered expectations are fun. WSJ as a whole presents that idea i think with it's really fun.... poor idea of promotion
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I thought Chagecha had an amazing concept. It was very comical, but it still managed squeeze in over the top combat. When first reading it, I thought it was going to be the next big thing, especially with the whole concept of Yan-ki which I thought was awesome.

I guess Sawai just isn't popular anymore.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i foudn the need to overexplain everything terrible, aswell as the character designs aswell (outside of tigermask)
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think that there is any getting around the fact that it will be a comedy in some part (most manga usually have a little). I hope that it's not gag, though. With that said, what is the actual difference? I have an idea, but I'm not 100% sure.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I hope Crimson King gets serialized, the art is slick and it's about supernatural type things (werewolves, vampires, frankenstein's monster etc)

Definitely one of my favorite one shots lately (this and the one by Hitomi no Catebolas' mangaka) I'm a huge battle manga fan though.
Well I kinda agree. The art is really refreshing in this manga. It's the art that attracts me. The story? Can't say, a translation and/or a Edited Manga would tell more. Well I think it will have a chance.


and I don't believe that baby manga (forgot the name) will be a gag manga
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
there's not really any. nowadays all comedy manga are gag manga, but it meant something different in the comedy revolution of the 1960s

but at its basic form a gag in gag manga is a spur of the moment joke.

you can sub divide comedy manga into stuff like nonsensical(bobobo) and satirical(gintama)
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Crimson King looks actually really good. When I opened my reader I was a little shocked and mumbled a "Gin-chan? o_O" towards the monitor but it appeared to be unique enough to make me enjoy the oneshot. Being a huge vampire stories fan did help a lot, though - and the girl is hot, so it should appeal to the male readers as well :XD

So yes, I wanna see more of this :thumbs
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i foudn the need to overexplain everything terrible, aswell as the character designs aswell (outside of tigermask)
I think in some ways Sawai was trying to get back some of his weirder designs like he used in the earliest parts of Bo-bobo...though without a similarly insane assistant like Matsui, it probably became harder to maintain. I did like a few character designs though aside from Tiger Mask: Chagecha was good, as was Doraji and most of the girls (Himawari, the announcer and the female who watched the match with Kabu)...heck, even Onizawa was a neat concept. (even though I didn't like him) The series itself I loved mostly since it was just so over-the-top and developed that I thought Sawai could live off it...but yeah, it's bombing should have been expected due to it being...dunno, too creative?

Somehow seeing that Beezle Baby pic makes me think of the baby storyline in Gintama (though it felt a bit more like a comedy version of "Lone Wolf and Cub")...hope it is as good though. (then again it was crazy comedy aside from the Nizou confrontation...but that was more a prologue to the following arc)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Somehow seeing that Beezle Baby pic makes me think of the baby storyline in Gintama (though it felt a bit more like a comedy version of "Lone Wolf and Cub")...hope it is as good though. (then again it was crazy comedy aside from the Nizou confrontation...but that was more a prologue to the following arc)
It's the dead fish eyes. Beezle baby and Gintoki's son both have them. With the Lone Wolf parody in that arc of Gintama I can see how it reminds you of both.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top