Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do you have some sort of problem with Naruto or something?
I doubt it, it's an accurate prediction, I mean unlss Kishi introduces a whole batch of enemies and a new main villian (this isn't inuyasha), things won't move any further than we are now so the end is expected.
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
hmmm...

About seeing new attempts from Kubo&Kishi... I'd actually like to see Kubo end bleach and write something new, this time with a clear cut thought out storyline that he will pursue. Many parts of Bleach look like "added while going" as he said he does. So, with a co-writer or story-planner to help him along I think he could create a long epic manga.

As for the 'new big 3'... people seem convinced Toriko will make it, so I'm not gonna bother with discussing that (I don't read it, anyway, that'd make 2 series of the 'new big3' I wouldn't read).
Bakuman doesn't seem like a series that's intended to run for more than 80-100 chapters max, anyway. Bakuman is likely the only manga in WSJ that you can't really extended into eternity.
Psyren and Sket: Sket just passed the magical "8Volumes" wall, Psyren still has a bit to go. Now's the point where these manga have to show that they can groom themselves into big epics the likes of Bleach/Naruto if they ever want to get over middle tier. What I mean by this: If you look at most of the story driven Jump manga you'll notice that from v8 onwards they get the first really long arcs of their stories, often changing a bit of the tone of the manga while they're at it. Reborn would likely be the most hard-core example of that... (note: I have read neither sket nor psyren yet, just going by chapter numbers here :p )

I don't expect Beelzebub, Kuroko, Hoop men or Bokke to ever get over middle tier if they can last enough...

What I'm looking forward to is the next serialization try by Naoshi. If he can keep with his principles while catering a bit more to the Jump audience I'm sure he'll land a big one.


As for cuts, TLR will end when the sales drop or the team gets tired of it, easy as that. I doubt editors will kill such a solid sale, even if it's "low" compared to the big three. Don't forget that it also attracts a (slightly) different audience to jump than the other manga do and keeps their current young boys audience happy. I don't seem to remember Jump having any other ecchi manga in their ranks right now... Say what you want, TLR is a hit in its own right and somewhat of a pillar of hope for Jumps ecchi fans.

ES21 will end when it ends, too. I doubt editors will speed up its end when it's been a solid sale for such a long time. Seeing how the Teikoku match lasted 20+ chapters it'll likely end fall/winter this year.

I don't know about neuro, but from what I heard it's closer to the ending than es21, so it might be one of the next 'cuts'.


Not gonna bet my money on what's being cut, I just hope that Naoshi will come back with an awesome story again or with "Double Arts - The Journey" :wtf
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wouldn't bet that. Knowing Kishimoto, he'll just rehash Naruto's story, characters and art into his mafia manga that he's been writing. And it's THE BEST MANGA HE'S EVER WROTE, so maybe it won't suck.
I'm willing to because the "ninja" theme helped Naruto out a lot more and helped the West latch on to it easier.

He says its the best manga he ever wrote but whether the fans will think so is another thing. I think chances are he is going to attempt something different than what Naruto is. His fans will read it expecting something Naruto-like but be disappointed.

Or I could be wrong since his brother Seishi started Blazer Drive and I can barely see any differences from it and 666 Satan which he did prior to it. :p

Do you have some sort of problem with Naruto or something?
I don't think he does, he is just telling it how it is. You can not look at the recent events in the past year and deny the end is coming soon.

hmmm...

About seeing new attempts from Kubo&Kishi... I'd actually like to see Kubo end bleach and write something new, this time with a clear cut thought out storyline that he will pursue. Many parts of Bleach look like "added while going" as he said he does. So, with a co-writer or story-planner to help him along I think he could create a long epic manga.
Actually, if Kubo went the Takeshi Obata route and only did the drawings like Black Cat's mangaka is doing for TLR I wouldn't have a problem with that.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
sket won't groom itself into an epic. if the tournament taught it anything is that episodic gag material is what makes it popular, alongside the heart wrenching backstories.

and i can imagine kubo NOT going back to zombie powder, and thats about it
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Though personally I don't like Naruto, I'm just trying to explain the whole situation as it stands. Kishimoto has a plan and currently he's starting to approach the point where it all comes together and we approach an endgame. That doesn't mean that the final battle of the series will be a short thing: the "final battle" of Kinnikuman (the entire battle with Team Super Phoenix) took an entire year in the real world from when the battle began to the very last chapter of the manga. Therefore, if Naruto is reaching an endgame, it's coming...but it's not like it's going to be rushed.
 

Dofla

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
781
Reaction score
5,121
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
France
#17 (23/03) :
Kochi (C & Pc)
Op
Naruto
Toriko
Gintama
Bleach (Pc)
Belzee
Sket
Reborn (Pc)
Hoop
Neuro
Inumaru
Baku
Nurari
Psyren
Kuroko
Bokke
es21
D.Gray
ToLove
Jaguar
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
SKET SKET SKET SKET SKET SKET SKET SKET

............ wait what?! bakuman's low? psyren rounds out the top 5?

inumaru's doing okay on the other hand..........

UGH CONFLICTED THOUGHTS
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What...sket did pretty damn well, and it's getting a colour next week, it seems to be picking up, I'm happy now. Bakuman on the otherhand....fell quite a bit.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
obataxohba seem to never get along with the toc....

and sket's occasional high point is the perfect example of why it'll probably last another year.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I guess this means that Mago and Psyren weren't as super high as we expected being above a certain point...but at the same time, look at Sket. The series still has the potential that it can live up to...and it would be a shame if they don't at least try for an anime for 10/2009. (also like Gintama's position BTW)

And Bakuman...well, it still has support but it's not like it's super-huge. (unless this was around the point when they revealed everything about rankings and Jump is upset at them for doing so)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
chances are it's just a yoyo for bakuman.

also who else think it'd be entertaining if the sket colour page actually was an anime announcement?

wouldn't happen but cmon it'd be awesome
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Mago and Bakuman disappoint me. While it's not the bottom five both are low. Not happy. But Gintama's in the top five, that I like.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
the top 5 is probably the best it could be without bakuman sneaking in there in place of...... no it'd have to be a top 6 for that to work
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I really have no complaints about the top five, at least this week. My personnel top five would look different, but at least all quality series made it. Good for Sket, making another top 5!
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
If you'd switch Bleach and Bakuman, that'd make my "perfect" top 5...but yeah, even this way that's a very neat combo up there!
Nice week for Sket and Neuro as well. Again quite a likeable ToC this week for most parts. [Grr...Bakuman]
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Bleach is placed this week so it doesn't count. My top five would be:

Naruto
One Piece
Gintama
Bakuman
Mago
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Bleach is placed this week so it doesn't count.
I know, but it's sorta the same as last week with Naruto and its position. It has some "even without CP"-flavor to it...at least imo.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
except we've known about this one for ages, so it's.... not the same at all
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
#17 (23/03) :
Kochi (C & Pc)
Op
Naruto
Toriko
Gintama
Bleach (Pc)
Belzee
Sket
Reborn (Pc)
Hoop
Neuro
Inumaru
Baku
Nurari
Psyren
Kuroko
Bokke
es21
D.Gray
ToLove
Jaguar
Toriko at number 3 pleases me.

Damn, Psyren and Mago only just escaped the bottom pretty much. I was hoping they would be a little higher. x[

Also wtf happened to Bakuman this week?

Neuro also made quite a jump. o:
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I doubt Psyren and Mago are much to worry about, I think both have reached the point where they're gonna get Mx0 treatment at absolute worst.

I think it's a lot more likely that they (and Sket Dance) are just gonna go up and down a lot.

Besides Bokke-san being low I'm pretty cool with this ToC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top