Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
WSJ is allowed to drop one serie or two series among this great table for two mangaka: it's either yasuhiro kano or Komi naoshi who's coming back.

I second to what Galactic says: mago, psyren and sket are in the muhyo phase. They'll leave those manga doing their things unless
1. Mx0 scenario
2. Other good series pushing them consistently in the danger zone
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
WSJ is allowed to drop one serie or two series among this great table for two mangaka: it's either yasuhiro kano or Komi naoshi who's coming back.
That's quite exciting to hear, now I'm really intrigued about the next debuts!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I doubt Psyren and Mago are much to worry about, I think both have reached the point where they're gonna get Mx0 treatment at absolute worst.

I think it's a lot more likely that they (and Sket Dance) are just gonna go up and down a lot.
To tell the truth, the only way an Mx0 scenario can happen now is if Sket ends around it's 2nd anniversary with no anime or anything. Sket is still showing signs of life and, aside from Hatsukoi, may be Jump's only chance for an anime for a property still in the magazine this year. As for Psyren/Mago, they currently are more around the point of series that have made it past a year...but not much after that. (more akin to P2, Takaya, Taizo or, in particular for one mangaka, Mieru Hito)
 

Lingwe

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
106
Reaction score
106
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Nice to see that Bleach gets a colour page for Ichigo, and I'm happy that Toriko is in the top 3 again. Hopefully it can overtake Naruto eventually.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah I think Sket Dance is pretty safe, it's mostly the other two. Though I can't speak for all of the examples, I vaguely remember P2 and Mieru Hito hitting the bottom a lot harder.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
With so many successful series and limited space above the bottom five, I think we are gonna see a lot of yo-yoing.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well actually that depends, because there are two unranked series right now that occupy that space on the top. In a couple of weeks depending on whether hoop and/or beezle either bomb or rise to the challenge, we may see little flucuation.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's going to all come down to what spends the most time in the bottom five between now and Golden Week. Mago now has three straight weeks out of the bottom five as well as last weeks color. Also, it's time at the bottom was a relatively brief eight weeks. I still think it will be as popular as DGM and Reborn (at least in sales) by the time it gets an anime next April. Psyren has proven to be resilient. There always seems to be a new series that does worse then it. That should be enough to get it through the year. Same goes for Sket.

It seems to early to speculate about the new series but I will anyway =P Beelzebub seems like the type of series that will connect with Jump readers. Hoop Men is a very good series that seems out of place in Jump. It reminds me a little of Shonen Magazine sports series. A different art style but a similar emphasis on plot and character. If Jump readers were to reject it quickly it wouldn't surprise me. And of course Kuroko and Bokke will be the next to go unless one or more established series ends.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hate to see Psyren in this situation. Although it is still around and I am grateful, I can't stand feeling nervous every TOC. Barely hanging on from week-to-week...that is no way for a manga to live. Anyway, when is the next round of cuts. I'm guessing early June.

@Kaiten-sama: How do you know that Mago is getting an anime next April? Or were you speculating?
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It's speculation, nothing has been mentioned about next spring's new anime. Though I wouldn't be surprised if mago or sket get an anime by next spring. Maybe even bakuman, though that's less likely.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Sket could get one as early as this October. It will have enough chapters by the summer.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think koen's point was that he felt that the ToC would stay the way it is unless Kano or Naoshi had a new series immenent.

I don't agree really since there's no sign of that happening, and Hoop or Beelzebub tanking in it's first several rankings will bring change sooner rather than later for the magazine.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I think koen's point was that he felt that the ToC would stay the way it is unless Kano or Naoshi had a new series immenent.

I don't agree really since there's no sign of that happening, and Hoop or Beelzebub tanking in it's first several rankings will bring change sooner rather than later for the magazine.
Yes and no,

Yes, I meant that if a serie is to be cutted it can only be for kano or naoshi imo
No, I never said that this is exactly going to happen. I just wish it or dream for it to happen ;)

Might better change my way of posting which confuses people :)
 

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Hey!

Does anyone know what happened with the first post? Because the last cover posted there is #10 XD

By the way, does anyone have the cover from #16? Thanx and sorry for asking =P


See ya
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i think it's mainly cause it's effort to go to the first post week on week to edit in the hq covers (whenever we get those, sometimes we dont't) and the toc, and the thing we did before of smaller series' raws being there became redundant cause of the new way raws are handled.

so with the cover to #16 you can either check out jumps website for a pretty good quality shrunk version, or rummage backwards through here (search function might help?)
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Psyren and Mago are good candidates for an anime next year. Psyren seems like the type of series that would have an anime for it along the lines of Buso Renkin. It would be kind of hard to make filler for it so I could see that coming along later rather than sooner. Mago on the other hand would be easier to make filler for. I could see that getting a long running anime like DGM did.

Sket will hopefully get an anime soon and then end when it hits around 12 volumes. Then it will have had a good run and can be seen as successful.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I guess the anime situation all depends on if they're ready...or what the plan is. Just because an anime has two years doesn't mean it will get an anime immediately (both Naruto and Bleach waited three...but both got overhyped once Pierrot got them) but it is still possible. As it currently stands (not counting any departures), the potential is as such:

-October, 2009: Sket Dance
-April, 2010: Psyren, Nurarihyon no Mago
-October, 2010 (probably what Jump is waiting for): Toriko, Bakuman (somehow Inumaru if they more do a "five minute per episode" thing akin to a Gag Manga Biyori)
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Toriko has to get one but I agree with it waiting 3 years, because the pace is pretty quick and I can see them burning through material. On the otherhand, I can totally see it getting a Jump Festa OVA this year.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think Psyren and Mago are good candidates for an anime next year. Psyren seems like the type of series that would have an anime for it along the lines of Buso Renkin. It would be kind of hard to make filler for it so I could see that coming along later rather than sooner. Mago on the other hand would be easier to make filler for. I could see that getting a long running anime like DGM did.

Couldn't Psyren have fillers by simply making up missions in Psyren and having them fight Tavoo?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top