Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
i wonder how long it took psyren and sket dance to reach 1 million in circulation
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't think they have yet. A million is a big number for new series. While I love both series they're among the poorest selling in the magazine. Inumaru Dashi is lowest, I'm guessing. But as an 8 page gag with only one volume published it is hardly fair comparing it. Best comparison, sales wise, would be Neuro/Muhyo/Mx0. Both Sket and Psyren do well enough to last 2 - 4 years but without improvement, not much past that. Sket could well get an anime, Psyren could go either way IMO. This is only my opinion, after looking at their sales, how their sales have improved with each volume, as well as comparing them to other series that debuted in 2008.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
damn. well with current chapters and such i predict the volume of sket dance containing happy birthday will help it's sales moreso than any of it's previous
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's possible. The same could be said for the last ten chapters of Psyren. What worries me with those two is that both had volumes released in March with sales identical to their previous volumes. Neither improved or declined. It makes me wonder if both have peaked.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think Sket Dance has, but with Psyren's steady level of improvement (especially in the last few chapters) I think that it has a good chance of picking up in the long run.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Unfortunately it's to hard to say. People are fickle; one or both could improve with their next volume. Or, maybe, neither improves. My post above was more as a worried fan then a prediction. All I really know is both titles trends over the last year and a half. I personally think Sket will have a longer run as it is more likely to get an anime. I wouldn't call that a lock: Jump may not have anything else that could debut in the fall, they have two series starting this spring (Dragon Ball Kai, Hatsukoi Ltd.) and at least three that will launch in 2010. 2007 and 2008 each only had one Jump anime, they'd be willing to again.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Yeah, I could easily see a Sket anime happening sometime in the future.

While I don't see it getting much higher than it already is, I don't really see it leaving anytime soon either. Has a pretty solid spot as a mid tier series.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Sket anime would be interesting to see. It is definitely getting close enough in chapters to have enough material for one.

I never knew Hatskoi had sold that many volumes. It makes me lament its cancellation even more. Hatsukoi, Mx0, and Double Arts should have lived longer imo.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I can see Sket having a good 3 or 4 year run.

I've never been convinced Hatsukoi was canceled. Kawashita began resolving every arc and relationship well in advance of the ending. Nothing felt rushed, the entire story had come to a natural end by the last chapter. It could have been canceled. But I'm not convinced. It most definitely was a solid seller, never a huge hit, but it got an anime for a reason.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well it felt like a bit of a cancellation because while some things did get resolved others didn't. It felt like some characters were left hanging and some things were left as open ended since everything couldn't have been wrapped up.

It feels like an anime was made since it was from an experienced mangaka and it was a perfect series for a 13 episode stint. XD

But oh well. Hopefully Kawashita's next project does better and is at least on Hatsukoi's level if not Ichigo 100%. (Please just be better than Lilim Kiss XO)

Other than To Love Ru Jump doesn't have anything else to really cater to the ecchi/romance crowd. Although Jump has obviously been focusing more on getting a new sports series to stick in the past few months than a romance one.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
There always seems to be one romance/ecchi series in Jump. Never more, but at least one. When ToRa, or maybe a bit before, they may try adding another one. I'd love to see Kawashita - sensei return, she's been one of the better romance mangaka in Jump. Unless Katsura returns and decides to do romance again. That's not happening but still, a follow up to I"S would be fun.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah, I guess one romance series is enough for Jump's editors. >.>

What happened to Katsura btw? I've read I''s but never saw another Jump series by her after it.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ah, I guess one romance series is enough for Jump's editors. >.>

What happened to Katsura btw? I've read I''s but never saw another Jump series by her after it.
He does Zetman in Weekly Young Jump now. Ongoing since 2002.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He does Zetman in Weekly Young Jump now. Ongoing since 2002.
Oh seriously, he is the one that does Zetman? O_o

That is a big change from doing a romance series in WSJ. :lmao

Oh well, maybe Jump will throw the romance crowd another bone sometime in the future. >.>
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Oh seriously, he is the one that does Zetman? O_o

That is a big change from doing a romance series in WSJ. :lmao
Katsura is actually one of the longer established mangaka. He debuted in the early 80ies. Video Girl Ai and Wingman are his early works, followed by DNA² (my personal favorite of his works <3) and I"s among other series. The Zetman he's doing now is a spin-off of his own older work (Zetman 1994), so it's not really a sudden change.

What I really want from his series is the Dr. Chanbelee oneshot, published in WSJ in 2000 (pics and translation). But there seems to be no raw for it :scry
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The Young Jump Zetman is a whole different affair then the Weekly Jump pilot. The plot was altered heavily and the WYJ version is most definitely not appropriate for WSJ's audience. It's a rather brutal series.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
That's true. What I meant was more that the root lies several years back already. Adding that his manga generally have a more mature touch than generic shounen, I can't say that I'm surprised when he takes the opportunity to go all out in a seinen magazine. His earlier works often give me the vibe that he's too limited to the young audience for what he actually wants to do.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's true. What I meant was more that the root lies several years back already. Adding that his manga generally have a more mature touch than generic shounen, I can't say that I'm surprised when he takes the opportunity to go all out in a seinen magazine. His earlier works often give me the vibe that he's too limited to the young audience for what he actually wants to do.
I see what your saying! And yeah, Katsura's always loved fanservice. I"S puts ToRa to shame in that area. Though, I"S had a plot to go along with the nudity :p I haven't read any of his earlier works but it doesn't surprise that his earlier works would push the boundaries as well. He and Inoue, for very different reasons, really have benefited from moving on to seinen. I should mention I'm a bigger Inoue fan.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I"S is still one of my favourite jump series EVARRRRRRRR etc, especially with Masakazu Katsura sitting resoluting in my top 5 mangaka (which after my complete jump into liking less retarded stuff is no mean feat).

Kawashita..... i'd prefer her not to return. I hated ichigo 100%.... well, disliked it anyway, so even with hatsukoi limited being one of my favourite manga theres too much risk she'd make something unsavoury again
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Um...full thing was posted by some "Urouge" user (with trip code) at 2ch. Maybe that's Himajin since he LOVES the One Piece character of the same name and started the whole "urougism" going on at 2ch...

ブリーチ(巻頭)
ナルト
ワンピ
トリコ(表紙)
リボーン
べるぜ(センター)
黒子
バクマン
サイレン(センター)
スケット
銀魂
いぬまる
アイシル
ネウロ
こち亀
ぬらり
Dグレ
フープ
ぼっけ
とらぶる
ジャガー
Bleach (CP)
Naruto
One Piece
Toriko (Cover)
Reborn!
Beelzebub (CP)
Kuroko no Basuke
Bakuman
Psyren (CP)
Sket Dance
Gintama
Inumaru dashi
Eyeshield 21
Neuro
Kochi Kame
Mago
D.Gray-man
Hoopmen
Bokke-san
ToLove ru
Jaguar

--

EDIT: Just saw that raw-paradise got the same. So it should be the real deal. : )
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top