Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Thanks for the release [Cross]! The one shot was outstanding; the characters, plot, and writing were all excellent. Shiranui could quickly become one of my favorite characters. I'm looking forward to the serialization.

Raws can come out really randomly after the double issues. There's really no telling if they'll be early or on the normal days.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Spoilers usually always come out early, but not always raws. We usually see early raws more often during Christmas and New Years due to there being two double issues in a row.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1338927 said:
For all those curious (even if it is bit late), here's the Medaka Box Oneshot: http://mangahelpers.com/s/cxcscans/details/26186

While on that subject, when are the raws usually suppose to come out after golden week.
Excellent news. I'm giving it a read right now. Thank you very much for getting it done. [noparse]:D[/noparse]
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hokenshitsu no Shinigami was solid. Nothing special, still a nice pleasant read for a one shot. Not something I'd care to see serialized, though.
 

poshpurple

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Uhm, sorry to bother everyone but the cover pictures in the first post are broken; does anyone mind reposting them? Thanks in advance
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So they are just being their long and overly drawn out with a poorly written story selves?

Well, if that's really how you see them then yeah...
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't see how Bleach and Naru try to be more epic than DBZ :headscratch, why not just say every action battle manga tries to be more epic than DBZ and be done with it?
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

They need to try and be less epic clearly.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't see how Bleach and Naru try to be more epic than DBZ :headscratch, why not just say every action battle manga tries to be more epic than DBZ and be done with it?
It's more about the future trying to learn, improve and claim to be greater than the past. DB is one of several notable standard-bearers of it's era in action series (alongside Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiya, Kinnikuman and some others) and, with many of the modern mangaka fans or readers of these series, they want to make their own series based off these models...but greater for today's audience.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

They need to try and be less epic clearly.

Who ever heard of a manga-ka trying to make a series less epic? In the Big 3's case, they already are anyway so I think them "trying" is over. As for attempting to be more epic than Dragon Ball, more times than not (I'm just guessing but probably not too far off the mark) action manga-ka probably idolize Dragon Ball. I know for a fact that Kishimoto did. It's only natural to want your series to inspire others like Dragon Ball did to them. That does not mean you are trying to "beat" it. And I'm sure just as many don't care and just want to be apprieciated for whatever they do.
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

There's nothing wrong in mangaka's getting idea's from past mangas and I don't think they claim to be greater. Proof? They're still unique series in their own right, still have their own story to tell.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

DBZ gave a very "complete" feeling in terms of characters and flow of story. While the plot is rather simple (I should say VERY simple), I think the flow played a great deal in captivating the readers. In short, we know that Goku and Gohan is going to win, but you'd still want to know what happens next.

As for Saint Seiya... To be honest with you... going back and read the older series, (I did that last summer), DBZ is much more enjoyable compare to Saint Seiya. I'll be first to say this, a lot of characters in Saint Seiya felt "empty" compare to their modern day counterpart.

I have not read Hokuto no Ken in a very long time (8 years +), so I couldn't form an opinion on it.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention the JoJo series :p
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah really.

While I'm not too big on Naruto or Bleach either, trying to be "more epic" than the classics is the least of their issues. I'd consider that a positive, if anything.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention the JoJo series :p
Simply forgot. I was just trying to make a point: these cornerstones are needed to realize what these modern mangaka are trying to build on or improve on to make their own epic.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

DBZ gave a very "complete" feeling in terms of characters and flow of story. While the plot is rather simple (I should say VERY simple), I think the flow played a great deal in captivating the readers. In short, we know that Goku and Gohan is going to win, but you'd still want to know what happens next.

As for Saint Seiya... To be honest with you... going back and read the older series, (I did that last summer), DBZ is much more enjoyable compare to Saint Seiya. I'll be first to say this, a lot of characters in Saint Seiya felt "empty" compare to their modern day counterpart.

I have not read Hokuto no Ken in a very long time (8 years +), so I couldn't form an opinion on it.

Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention the JoJo series :p
Goku didn't ALWAYS win. Tien beat him in the second world martial arts tournament. =P
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Simply forgot. I was just trying to make a point: these cornerstones are needed to realize what these modern mangaka are trying to build on or improve on to make their own epic.
You know I'm just teasing! XD

Goku didn't ALWAYS win. Tien beat him in the second world martial arts tournament. =P
But Tien wasn't really a "big bad" in the story! :p

I see what you're saying though, that Goku had his fair share of defeat ... However, he didn't really "lose" anymore after the second phases of the series (after he "grew up"). It's mostly close wins or draws (and, of course, unforeseeable circumstances that caused him to withdraw from battle)

My point, though, is that even if it's pretty much a given that Goku wins, I never felt any "drag" to the story at all... (and yes, I did follow the WSJ serialization back in the days... as far back as the end of Cell games)

I couldn't say the same with certain other manga, such as Naruto (Sakura vs Sasori, anyone?), Bleach (certain fights that just can't seem to end!), or even Slam Dunk (not an action series, I know, but the Sannoh match drove me insane...).

Hell, even JoJo's 4th arc, the Josuke vs Kira final battle, felt too long in the serialization.
 

Tensai_Sakuragi

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
68
Reaction score
10
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I couldn't say the same with certain other manga, such as Naruto (Sakura vs Sasori, anyone?), Bleach (certain fights that just can't seem to end!), or even Slam Dunk (not an action series, I know, but the Sannoh match drove me insane...).

Hell, even JoJo's 4th arc, the Josuke vs Kira final battle, felt too long in the serialization.
Well, it´s not like Inoue ever cared about pacing. :p
We´re talking about a guy who can name a chapter "The Spider", and then make a 20 pages chapter in which Musashi...stares at a spider. :p:p

The guy is not worried about the "weekly pace" at all. He thinks ahead and just focuses in matters like "will it be good to read when it´s compiled"? I mean, yeah, Sannoh vs Shohoku is long as hell, but it´s one of the BEST fictional basketball games ever created. That stuff is made of tears, epic moments and awesomely drawn scenes.
I love every panel of it. :amuse

...but yeah, I can see WHY someone would get crazy following it on Jump...I mean, the fucking match lasted a YEAR...:p:p:p
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

If you ask me, both Naruto and Bleach have hit their "Majin Buu" sagas so to speak. In that its the absolute worse phase of the story and some stuff just stops making sense or their are plot elements that just make you want to bang your head on the wall. Well at least for me.

HM is just as bad as Majin Buu for me and almost all of Part 2 Naruto carries the same annoyance factor.

So if we are talking about "epic" DB stopped being that by this point and Naruto and Bleach aren't getting anymore epic either. In fact, they are worse.

Or am I just horribly biased? =P
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I would say Naruto is getting better from the slump it experienced for most of part 2. The Pain arc has been pretty good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top