Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I love how we made everyone think Kochikame was gonna end. XD

But on another note, has anyone read Akaboshi yet? I am going to officially dub it as the unofficial successor to Hoshin Engi. I can't wait to read more. It's as if Fujisaki was writing a series for Takeshi obata. The main character totally reminds me of L with a sword.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Chapter 1 was definitely great. I hesitate to anoint it the next great series until it survives the next cut. Should Akaboshi last, I expect great things from it.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I love how we made everyone think Kochikame was gonna end. XD

But on another note, has anyone read Akaboshi yet? I am going to officially dub it as the unofficial successor to Hoshin Engi. I can't wait to read more. It's as if Fujisaki was writing a series for Takeshi obata. The main character totally reminds me of L with a sword.
I've written my thoughts on it a few days ago :p From the point of view of someone who read the novel though.

I'm just worried that there won't be enough material for the author to rely upon as Houshin Engi did, since it started with the 108 bandits already together (it seems).
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I get the feeling Akaboshi's going to outlast Medaka. Here's hoping it has a successful run.
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm really looking forward to the upcomming one shots. is it something like the gold future cup?

About Akaboshi, well it has great art, but the story/characters was a bit weird for my taste. But I'm not going to judge it on only one chapter ... :amuse
 

ttxdragon

Dearly Missed ;__;
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
5,662
Reaction score
299
Gender
Hidden
Country
Venezuela
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well, medaka box ch2 was as boring as ch1 =S Nothing original, overdone cliches, no useful character development at all... At least the male mainchar did not ride on the "i understand her best" line...

Sorry for the negativity, but I wanted to add onto my last complaint-post about Medaka since I feel like ch2 confirmed my suspicions that I based on the one shot and ch1 >.<
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I do not know about medaka but I do know one thing: it utterly fails or it doesn't fail and it'll prolly claim sket dance's position (and sket dance will lose it). Whatever it may be: I do not believe there's place for sket dance and medaka (they are too similar imo)
 

tygreas

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
28
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

as much as i've read into medaka box, it's only displayed it's episodic parts.
actually because of medaka box i've been inspired to give sket dance a thourogh chance, it finally hooked me in at chapter 6 and 8-9, and to be honest there can be no comparison until medaka displays as thoroughly enjoying and meaningful backstories and character developments as Sket Dans(or sket dance, whichever is proper). it may be this territorial fight that makes people read into both where they might not have read sket at all.
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Regarding Medaka Box:
One-shot=Great.
Ch 1=Wasn't as good as the one-shot but still entertaining and I enjoyed it.
Ch 2=Very underwhelming but nothing that made me really hate it. Next chapter could be make or break.

Regarding Akaboshi:
Ch 1 wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me. It was the typical set up found in many a shounen series thus mediocre. Where it goes from here is important in how I view it.

The art is good though.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

They both have decent art, but both have their own flaws (in my view at least, I'll have to read Akaboshi ch.02 to see how the story will go). Personally, Medaka is more enjoyable than Akaboshi, but that's just me ;)

Akaboshi's first chapter gave me the same feeling for D.Gray-man's first chapter, and I don't see it ending for a few more chapters (already, the "next issue blah blah blah" mentioned about a "next mission"... ;))
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone know how Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Shaman King did in the TOC when they were in WSJ?
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone know how Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and Shaman King did in the TOC when they were in WSJ?
All three of them ran for more than 5 years... you need to be more specific on which part (in the beginning, middle, or toward the end).

Edit: I couldn't find any info available for Yu Yu (it ended in 1994, while Missle's Jump Archive only had ToC back to 1996).
 
Last edited:

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

All three of them ran for more than 5 years... you need to be more specific on which part (in the beginning, middle, or toward the end).

Edit: I couldn't find any info available for Yu Yu (it ended in 1994, while Missle's Jump Archive only had ToC back to 1996).
I can check my archive webpage when I get home from work later. (heh, with all the talk as of late on modern Jump, it's great to hear one question on classic Jump again)
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

For Yuyu Hakusho :
1990 : Begin in #50. #50 >> 1st, #51 >> 07th & #52 >> 10th
1991 : #01 - #30 >> 14th - 17th * #31 - #52 >> 05th - 10th
1992 : 01st - 06th
1993 : 01st - 05th
1994 : 03rd - 06th. And for the last chapter : 18th


#27 (01/06) :
Matsumoto Naoya / Nekowappa! (One Shot)
#28 (08/06) :
Furudate Haruichi / Kiben Gakuha, Yoyya Sensei no Kaidan (Oneshot)
#29 (15/06) :
Iwamoto Naoki / Kuromitsu-sama Mairu! (Oneshot)
#30 (22/06) :
Kasuga Makoto / Ultimate Chaser (Oneshot)
#31 (29/06) :
Tsuchida Kenta / Lock on! (Oneshot)

It's Jump Grade 1


#26 :
Cover :


Preview :
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

So what's the announcement?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I thought the announcement was going to be in issue 27
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The heck is Jump Grand? New magazine? Something similar to Golden cup?
Ah, I'm really curious about it...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Judging by the page it looks like s series of oneshots since it gives the order and what issues they'll be in.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

For Yuyu Hakusho :
1990 : Begin in #50. #50 >> 1st, #51 >> 07th & #52 >> 10th
1991 : #01 - #30 >> 14th - 17th * #31 - #52 >> 05th - 10th
1992 : 01st - 06th
1993 : 01st - 05th
1994 : 03rd - 06th. And for the last chapter : 18th


Thanks Heiji-sama.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah, shows the order of the one shots. Jump Grand seems to be what this is called. It's not the Golden Future Cup for some reason. Though Bakuman had said in these, the ones the editors think win will go first.

And it just says stuff like "big scoop" all around Kochikame. Doesn't say anything about what's gonna happen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top