Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Has Naruto, One Piece or any series ever gotton two color pages in a row? Ridiculous. I mean, pass one of those on to Psyren or something...
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Even Jump's pimping of Toriko and Kuroko never earned them two covers in a row. I seriously want to see how this series sells when Volume 1 comes out.

[Cross];1401772 said:
...what...the...hell. Beezle, two colours in a row? Should that be possible? Well it's not fair. Kuroko bombed so quickly I forgot what it's previous rank was, I'd laugh if it gets cut before Hoop Men. Sket doing low in the Bossun past arc is sorta disconcerning. And we haven't seen any Sauce-que for quite some time, I'm not surprised that he gets a colour page, let alone the lead colour.
Kuroko #10 last week and #8 the week before.

Getting cut before Hoop Men would actually be pretty shameful. Especially after all Jump put into it what with 7 freaking colors so far. >.>
 
Last edited:

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I don't think Kuroko bombed, this chapter was the last one before the Seihou match. Not only it was a really boring chapter, it was the last in a 4-chapter period with no matches. Seeing as the audience preferred a series with lots of fast-paced action (Kuroko) to one that takes its time to develop the characters (Hoop), it makes me think they are simply eager for action and don't want anything else no matter what, be it pre-match tension or whatever else. If Kuroko rises again next week, my theory will be confirmed. :P

Sket falling again made me laugh. Seriously. And Beelze is being so goddamn fucking ridiculously pimped It's starting to piss me off. And I used to like it at first. Oh well.

At least Psyren got back to the (somewhat) safe zone and Mago got back to the place it belongs to.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Mago got back to the place it belongs to.
I wouldn't say it belongs there. I think mago's recent arcs are more for adult people than for young kiddies. Mago is really different imo (I wouldn't be surprised if its high selling rates could be explained to an extent that a none-wsj public buys them)
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Has Naruto, One Piece or any series ever gotton two color pages in a row? Ridiculous. I mean, pass one of those on to Psyren or something...
I can not recall reading two chapters in row of Naruto or One Piece with color. Bleach certainly has; chapter 150 and 151 were both in color. Also, the entirety of chapter 162 was in color. I'm happy about Beelzebub pimping, it's a great series. It's deserved.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I wouldn't say it belongs there. I think mago's recent arc are more for adult people than for young kiddies. Mago is really different imo (I wouldn't be surprised if its high selling rates could be explained because a none-wsj public buys them)
I say it belongs there because I find it uninteresting and poorly done, not because the bottom position is fitting for a series of its genre or because it isn't aimed at the same public as the rest of Jump's current lineup.

[rant]
The problem with Mago is that it gives too much attention to explaining who the youkai are and what's their "power", while the actual characterization is completely left behind. Whenever a new character appears, it presents itself, shows some kind of special ability, fights someone and that's it. When this isn't happening, the interactions between the characters (especially Ao/Kuro and Rikuo's human friends) are so simplistic and stupid they seem like an afterthought. I mean, does anyone really like Kiyotsugu or those two other girls? And why the heck does a bunch of middle school kids talk only about youkai and nothing else?

Besides, the narrative is boring, the battles except for the last one are too short and simplistic (I know they aren't the main focus of the manga but still...), the supposedly funny moments haven't made me laugh even once and the dramatic moments are spoiled by the characters' own lack of depth. So it's basically an average at best manga that fails at every kind of execution yet gets everyone's love by its concept alone. I'll be happy as long as it's in the bottom, and if it's cancelled I definitely won't miss it.
[/rant]
 
Last edited:

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I've got a question.

With the Summer Akamaru that's going to be announced, I've heard about all the Akamaru Jump for Summer, Spring, and Winter but never heard anything about any Akamaru for the Fall/Autumn.

Does it exist?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I've got a question.

With the Summer Akamaru that's going to be announced, I've heard about all the Akamaru Jump for Summer, Spring, and Winter but never heard anything about any Akamaru for the Fall/Autumn.

Does it exist?
No. Akamaru is three times a year: New Years, Golden Week, and Bon.
 

Magicoreo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
110
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Oh, I see...
I've assumed it'd come out for times a year since it was named after the 4 seasons. I guess it's only 3 seasons then. ^^
Thanks for clearing that up!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Your welcome!

Akamaru follows the major holidays rather then the seasons, coming out after the double issues.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Wow what a bad bottom six. :(

So it's basically an average at best manga that fails at every kind of execution yet gets everyone's love by its concept alone.
Or they just have different tastes. That's known to happen on the internet from time to time.
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The coming weeks will be interesting, because Medaka and Akaboshi will not only get ranked, but surely we'll get news on whether HXH/DGM will return or if there will be new series after the long string of oneshots end.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1402052 said:
The coming weeks will be interesting, because Medaka and Akaboshi will not only get ranked, but surely we'll get news on whether HXH/DGM will return or if there will be new series after the long string of oneshots end.
But still:

es21 ended, thus there's now already two spots (one spot is continiously taken by the one shots) and if some serie might be cancelled then it'll be hoop men for sure: making it three spots.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

But still:

es21 ended, thus there's now already two spots (one spot is continiously taken by the one shots) and if some serie might be cancelled then it'll be hoop men for sure: making it three spots.
Actually, I'm hoping that Kuroko's recent trend proves true and laugh at the irony that the pimped newcomer might get cut when opposed to the series that dropped to the bottom before it was even ranked.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

[Cross];1402076 said:
Actually, I'm hoping that Kuroko's recent trend proves true and laugh at the irony that the pimped newcomer might get cut when opposed to the series that dropped to the bottom before it was even ranked.
Won't happen. It's just a single week. If it's still at the bottom next week then I'll start worrying, but now right now. Just look at what happened to Bakuman last week.

By the way, I would LOVE to see Beelze in the Bottom 5 at least once. With its pimpage level skyrocketing with the upcoming double CP, that'd be something to really laugh about.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Won't happen. It's just a single week. If it's still at the bottom next week then I'll start worrying, but now right now. Just look at what happened to Bakuman last week.

By the way, I would LOVE to see Beelze in the Bottom 5 at least once. With its pimpage level skyrocketing with the upcoming double CP, that'd be something to really laugh about.
That's why I said I hope the trend follows, I'm well aware that there is the possibility that it wont' next week. As for Beezle, there might be a point where the generous colours will end...I don't think this trend will be forever.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Feh. After two years of people complaining new series were being left to die it's slightly irritating that now everyone is complaining now that they are getting promoted x_X

Beelzebub is a good series and a really fun read. Why not promote it? Why not promote Toriko? Why not promote Kuroko? I may not have liked the latter, but, there's no reason that series with good snap polls should not be advertised. Build on the initial success and create a stronger foundation for the series. Jump is turning into a more interesting, varied magazine. Look at the survivors from 2005 and later and rather then the pre - 2004 over reliance on action you'll see a wider assortment of genre. Jump is a better magazine now then it was in 2007 or 2008, partially thanks to the editors taking care of series that show potential and early popularity.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm actually happy they are getting promoted. Just could spread things out a bit more rather than just going for one or two series for months on end before going to another.

Any bets on the next series to get pimped by Jump?

We have had Kuroko and Beelzebub this year as far as new comers go. Bleach takes it as far as long running series are concerned.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I'm actually happy they are getting promoted. Just could spread things out a bit more rather than just going for one or two series for months on end.

Any bets on the next series to get pimped by Jump?

We have had Kuroko and Beelzebub this year as far as new comers go. Bleach takes it as far as long running series are concerned.
Medaka and Akaboshi, hopefully. I really like both!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top