Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Shueisha could care less about the internet readers like us. It's about sales, and Mx0 was much popular than Psyren (or Sket) is now with the tank buying readers.

Mx0 was at around 120k per volume when it ended.
Psyren has yet break the 60k barrier I believe.
Sket Dance is currently 70kish

This is the reason why the previous extended discussion in this thread focuses our worries at Psyren and Sket.. because the growth of tank sales isn't as strong as Mx0, and yet Mx0 was axed. The good news right now is that Psyren and Sket, while not spectacular on the ToC, is still decent enough to be yo-yoing around.

<hr noshade size="1">

Off-topic, but I found this gem that I just have to share with Kaiten:



After 33 weeks, Saint Young Man Vol.1 is still inside the top 100 for Oricon comics tally... rofl...
lol. I love SYM, but how did it get so popular so quickly!!? It rivals Bleach and Hunter x Hunter after what, three f'ing volumes! 700,000+ volumes and serialized in a magazine that probably ships less than 100,000 per issue (could be wrong). Pretty amazing. Can you say million seller?

Sket and Psyren have benefited from a lot of crap series debuting in '07 and '08. There's always been a horror like Asklepios or Meister ready to die in their place. With a more stable roster both could be in trouble, which would suck seeing as both are really good.

DeidaraGrimmjow said:
How do the higher-ups at Jump decide when to serialize a one-shot? I assume this Kagijin was popular as a one-shot? Or is Jump simply buying time for something else?
Nerdy Bakuman time:

The editors have a meeting before it's time to add new series. Recent one shots, mostly from Jump, also from Akamaru are discussed. They look at how well each one shot polled, one shots are voted on the same way series are, discuss weather they believe the mangaka are ready for serialization, and weather the one shot in question could work as a weekly series. From there they narrow it down to the best entrants. if an established mangaka is returning, as Kawashita is now (still fangasming over that), that bumps the weakest of the one shots. Kagijin must have done very well with readers of the winter Akamaru. Medaka Box must have had an amazing response considering how quick that was serialized.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

^Medaka being serialized as fast as it was is also the reason why I'm curious of where it will officially rank.

If it pulls a #6 or #7 position like its average so far in its first few weeks I'll be extremely pleased.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

We'll find out soon. It ranks in what, a week or two?
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

We'll find out soon. It ranks in what, a week or two?
It should be this week since this is chapter 8 right? Or would it be next week?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It should be this week since this is chapter 8 right? Or would it be next week?
Yeah it should be chapter 8. I can't count very high, get confused sometimes ;) There's always been some controversy over first ranking. There's always been some controversy as to what constitutes eight weeks but I'm to tired to hash them out right now :P
 
Last edited:

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yeah it should be chapter 8. I can't count very high, get confused sometimes ;) There's always been some controversy over first ranking. There's always been some controversy as to what constitutes eight weeks but I'm to tired to hash them out right now :P
Seeing as the shortest series that I can think of lasted 8 chapters (Chagecha), I'd say that counting is inclusive and the 8th chapter is the first chapter to be officially 'ranked.' Not to say that a series can't show signs of success or failure earlier on though (again, Chagecha).
 

Lingwe

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
106
Reaction score
106
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The Kagijin oneshot was set in a post apocalyptic world. I've only glanced through it so far so I didn't really find out what was going on (and don't have access to it at the moment so this is only based on my memory and might be wrong), but basically there are a bunch of people living in a desert after the world has used up all it's resources or something like that, so they are forced to scavenge for stuff. A bunch of stuff happens and at the end the baddie who is going to hurt the girl is confronted by the main character, and the baddie realises that the main character who comes to her rescue was a little kid who escaped him or something when he was young. Then the main guy shoves a key into his arm or something and summons a big bird creature to attack the guy. Then he walks off into the distance.

As I said I'm not too clear on the details and so that might not be what happens exactly but thats basically it. I'll try and scan the raw of it when I get home on the weekend.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The Kagijin oneshot was set in a post apocalyptic world. I've only glanced through it so far so I didn't really find out what was going on (and don't have access to it at the moment so this is only based on my memory and might be wrong), but basically there are a bunch of people living in a desert after the world has used up all it's resources or something like that, so they are forced to scavenge for stuff. A bunch of stuff happens and at the end the baddie who is going to hurt the girl is confronted by the main character, and the baddie realises that the main character who comes to her rescue was a little kid who escaped him or something when he was young. Then the main guy shoves a key into his arm or something and summons a big bird creature to attack the guy. Then he walks off into the distance.

As I said I'm not too clear on the details and so that might not be what happens exactly but thats basically it. I'll try and scan the raw of it when I get home on the weekend.
Key summons...hmm, somehow I suddenly get a vibe of Lucy from Fairy Tail. Tale could still be interesting though.
 

Jabberwocky

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 22, 2009
Messages
48
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I was thinking it would be like Kingdom hearts. Were they have key blades.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Lol, I got a FT vibe as soon as I saw the cover for the OS and the title.
Despite that, the plot seems awfully generic. Here's hoping the execution is well done to compensate for the lack of originality (though from people's complaints I've read, Hitomi was the exact opposite of that, so who knows).
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

What was the name of the one-shot? I know it was downloaded here, but I can't find it now...

edit: Nevermind. Just saw the last post. Thanks Unok.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Looking over those raws this series could go either way. There could be a really good series lurking within the concept or there could be an inane super power fest. The way his key power is drawn looks really cool, the possibility of two key holders facing off with different animals behind them sends shivers down my spine. Not in the good way. While the demon sealed in the body of a demon exterminator was ripped straight from Ga - Rei, at least the power to stop time in Hitomi was guaranteed cheesiness free.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I hate Ga-Rei but I read it anyway. And as far as this series is concerned, yeah the key power looks cool but other than the main character, the character designs were not that great. Also, I did not have that "blown away" feeling. But maybe that can change...


ps. Can someone give me the link to the Japanese Jump website? Don't know what's going on with Wiki...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I hate Ga-Rei but I read it anyway. And as far as this series is concerned, yeah the key power looks cool but other than the main character, the character designs were not that great. Also, I did not have that "blown away" feeling. But maybe that can change...


ps. Can someone give me the link to the Japanese Jump website? Don't know what's going on with Wiki...
Here it is. They changed the url. Wiki must not have gotten the message.

any one who can interpret this gets a cookie ^^ "The prize-winning works of JUMP Treasure new cartoonists prize in March deliverd!" Copied and pasted directly from Jump's website. A true Engrish gem IMO.
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

TOC, by Himajin:

934 :五代目暇人 ◆2YGyF6T8YE :2009/06/24(水) 15:27:21 ID:VU1tFDFV0
31号

ぬるぽ(表紙+巻頭)
金玉
わんぴ
犬丸
スケット
ロックオン(読み切りセンター)
ぬるり
赤星
漫画研究所
鰤(センター)
めだか
りぼん
べる(センター)
こち亀
サイレン
黒子
バクマン
とらぶる
フープ(最終回)
ジャガー
2009-31

Naruto (Cover + Lead CP)
Gintama
One Piece
Inumaru
Sket Dance
Lock On (One-shot, CP)
Mago
Akaboshi
Hetappi Manga Kengyuujo
Bleach (CP)
Medaka
Reborn
Beelze (CP)
Kochi Kame
Psyren
Kuroko
Bakuman
ToLoveRu
Hoop (Final)
Jaguar
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

TOC, by Himajin:

2009-31

Naruto (Cover + Lead CP)
Gintama
One Piece
Inumaru
Sket Dance
Lock On (One-shot, CP)
Mago
Akaboshi
Hetappi Manga Kengyuujo
Bleach (CP)
Medaka
Reborn
Beelze (CP)
Kochi Kame
Psyren
Kuroko
Bakuman
ToLoveRu
Hoop (Final)
Jaguar
Greatest TOC ever :D

Somewhere, Bomber and Noodles are very, very, very happy!
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Holy hell! talk about weird toc............Gintama number 1? wow havent seen that in who knows how long. And Sket Dance is at 3 and here I thought it might end soon. Awesome to see Mago so high, guess rumors of it ending are definitely false. And why Bakuman why? And this is Medaka's first ranking correct? Not too bad imo.


TOC, by Himajin: Hetappi Manga Kengyuujo
What is this? lol I'm clueless.
 
Last edited:

Tru_TO

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
65
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

man i got a serious question:
Will Togashi return and continue his manga weekly until he finishes it? I wanna see the ending to this manga, will it happen? Since theres 3 new manga in Jump now, fuck i'm pissed with Togashi i wanna see HxH end, what u think will it come back?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hetappi Manga Kengyuujo is a short that teaches how to draw manga, written and illustrated by the guys who did Eyeshield. It appears in every issue, consider it unranked.

Tru_TO said:
man i got a serious question:
Will Togashi return and continue his manga weekly until he finishes it? I wanna see the ending to this manga, will it happen? Since theres 3 new manga in Jump now, fuck i'm pissed with Togashi i wanna see HxH end, what u think will it come back?
HxH will return but Togashi will never, ever do weekly chapters again. He'll keep doing the same thing every year; ten chapters here, ten chapters there till he's tired of even doing that much. Inoue is almost as bad about Vagabond. He has been better then usual this year. He's only taken a month and a half off so far. Berserk fans have it the worst.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top