Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

salam-daim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
79
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

thanks, but the Asian market outside Japan (China, Tailland, Korea...) I dont know anything about his classification
 

led_zeppelin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

my list:
Bakuman
Beelzebub
Toriko
Nurarihyon no mago
Medaka Box
Gintama (but i'm now in chapter 50)

Bakuman, beelzebub and toriko, for my are not that good, i enjoy Nura so far, i really like Gintama, and medaka i love the beginning but now...

also i never read naruto or bleach and One Piece i read the first chapter like 4 years ago and the 2nd 2 months ago, so maybe i will catch up with that by the end of the millennium.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Here is my list:

1. Akaboshi
2. Ane Doki
3. Bakuman
4. Beelzebub
5. Bleach
6. Gintama
7. Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
8. Hunter X Hunter
9. Inumaru Dashi
10. Kagijin
11. Kashikoi Ken Lilienthal
12. Kochikame
13. Kuroko no Basket
14. Medaka Box
15. Naruto
16. Nurarihyon no Mago
17. One Piece
18. Psyren
19. Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar
20. Reborn
21. Sket Dance
22. Toriko
23. Wasshoi! Waji Mania

So yeah...I'm up to date with all of them. Well, as much as I can be. I was able to read the first chapters of Waji, Inumaru, Lilienthal, and Shinigami mainly due to the shonenjump english website. Read all 20 or so scanlated chs of Kochikame, the first 45 or so chapters of Jaguar, and the first 90 something Sket Dance until it magically stopped being scanlated (grrr). I read all the scanlated chapters of Gintama including the chapters with all the gaps and am up to date with that as well. I'm so glad Eyeshield ended so I could put that on hold otherwise I'd likely still need to catch up to it.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Among Jump series Naruto is number 1 in the U.S., Bleach is number 2. One Piece is middling here.
One Piece just finished a really good arc (Alabasta), though. I have to admit, I didn't care for it at all for the longest time - this arc has made me see it in a new light. Maybe OP's popularity will get a boost with Viz's new promotion?

And do I hear Toriko and Bakuman starting next year - YES! Awesome! (Though what series is being cut for Bakuman? YYH should end very soon, so I guess Toriko will replace that, but Viz has always moved something out to make room for something new, and... it's Letter Bee, isn't it...)

Anyway, I clearly will be starting Toriko in January, then. =P
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I've meant to read the rest of Eyeshield after it ended but I know everything that happens without reading so I won't bother. There are a few older Jump series I plan to maybe read. The rest of Neuro is a definite, everyone tells me how amazing Kenshin is so I may try it just to see what the fuss is about. I don't feel overly motivated. Otherwise I would like to read Rookies.


One Piece just finished a really good arc (Alabasta), though. I have to admit, I didn't care for it at all for the longest time - this arc has made me see it in a new light. Maybe OP's popularity will get a boost with Viz's new promotion?

And do I hear Toriko and Bakuman starting next year - YES! Awesome! (Though what series is being cut for Bakuman? YYH should end very soon, so I guess Toriko will replace that, but Viz has always moved something out to make room for something new, and... it's Letter Bee, isn't it...)

Anyway, I clearly will be starting Toriko in January, then. =P
Baroque Works is really where I "figured out" One Piece, kind of got a feel for why everyone says it so good. There are a few better parts but that is one of the best.

Bakuman could replace Tegami Bachi.
 
Last edited:

KanouYuuki

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
134
Reaction score
29
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Jump - New Artist Prize question.

Hey, I found this site... at Shonen Jump and I was reading it and I'm a tad bit confused...

This contest... I don't get it.. Should you make a Doushinji? Or an original manga? Please I need someone 'cuz I'm very interested in it..

Ooo... I wanna make a manga of my own..

Moderator Notice:
Merged with Weekly Jump thread. This is a contest for young, professional artists. Matsui (Neuro) and Komi Naoshi (Double Arts) were both past entrants.~ Kaiten.Sama
 
Last edited by a moderator:

RomanDogBird

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

In order from favorite to least favorite:

1. Pyuu to Fuku! Jaguar (on hold since no chapter beyond 51 has been translated)

2. Hunter X Hunter (despite being on hiatus)

3. Sket Dance (on hold since no chapter beyond 98 has been translated)

4. One Piece (was my favorite series for awhile)

5. Toriko

6. Gin Tama (on hold due to missing chapters, have only read up to ch. 70)

7. Bakuman

8. Reborn! (Although, I thought it was dragging a lot during the first portion of the future arc, but I'm really digging the current situation. Can anybody tell me why it's criticized so much?)

9. Beelzebub

10. Psyren

11. Nurarihyon no Mago

12. Kochikame (I really wish more people were reading this. It was great seeing Stranger Ataru translate the first two volumes, but he seems ready to give it up now. Too bad Major Scans hasn't gone beyond Ch. 8 yet.......)

13. Kuroko no Basket (on hold since no chapter beyond 29 has been translated)

14. Ane-Doki (God, did I hate this one at first. It's getting a little more tolerable now. Maybe the fact that Medaka has turned to shit and Kagijin having always been shit are making it look better.......)

15. Naruto (Have read past Ch. 200, dreading the recent events. I really wish the supporting characters were the main cast and that Naruto, Sakura, and ESPECIALLY Sasuke didn't exist. Rock Lee would be a terrific main, but NOOOOOOOOOOO.)

16. Akaboshi (Don't really mind that it's ending. The artwork is great, but the characters are boring and generic and it's always just felt really hard to follow.)

17. Bleach (Have read past Ch. 200. Yawn. It used to be such a cute little series too........)

18. Kagijin (Is this what Hell looks like? This better be the next one to go, even though there's still one more........)

19. Medaka Box (Dear God, what happened?! It was sort of decent at first, but the title is practically meaningless now. That Perces Mode nonsense was the first time I ever felt murderous rage towards a comic. I can forgive it somewhat for not being as consistently boring as Kagijin, but with this recent turn of events.....yikes......)

I've only read the first chapter of each of the other four series, since nobody's translating them. I'd rank them like this:

1. Inumaru (I'd really like to read it. Seems pretty amusing)
2. Rillenthal (Kind of cute.)
3. Hokenshitsu (Yawn.)
4. Wajimania (Huh?)
 
Last edited:

Symbolic Zero

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
13
Gender
Female
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

My WSJ reading list ^^

1.-Naruto
2.-One piece
3.-Bleach
4.-Gintama
5.-Nurarihyon no Mago
6.-Bakuman
7.-Beelzebub
8.-Psyren
9.-Sket Dance
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

8. Reborn! (Although, I thought it was dragging a lot during the first portion of the future arc, but I'm really digging the current situation. Can anybody tell me why it's criticized so much?)
From what I've read, people seem to think that the whole box weapon thing was rather tacky, since some characters only relied on boxes as opposed to them being supplements, e.g. Sil and his bats as well as the designs of the animals themselves being plain and forgettable.
 

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

My current status with the ongoing series and all of them except Gintama are up to date. In no particular order.

  1. One Piece
    Passively reading - I agree that the current chapters are tedious but I can't wait for the real climax of this arc.
  2. Naruto
    Passively reading- The latest reveal was only enough for an eyebrow raise. I'm not expecting anything from this manga throughout the remainder of it's serialization, although I do think the 'war and peace' theme is alright.
  3. Bleach
    Passively reading- The 'flow' of the art that I like is still there but it just needs to get over the long battles and small character revelations that take up whole chapters. Or at least don't make those a drag.
  4. Bakuman
    Anticipated - It's probably the suspenseful endings that keep it so high on my 'must read' list. It's a good series overall with a nice mix of genres. I love the insights on Jump's inner workings too.
  5. Toriko
    Interested - I'm starting to appreciate the food theme more but as a series it hasn't struck me as anything outstanding.
  6. Gintama
    Anticipated - It's hard to keep up with all the missing chapters though. Currently skimming through the raw volumes for missing chapters before moving on. It's pretty epic for a comedy hybrid.
  7. Psyren
    Passively Reading - It's a promising manga but I'm not hyped by the recent happenings.
  8. Reborn
    Anticipated - It's kind of yo-yoing between 'just ok' and 'woah!' lately.
  9. Akaboshi
    Anticipated - I can't believe it's ending! It was getting even better too... Yeah, it's a generic story but it worked for me.
  10. Beelzebub
    Passively reading - It's bearable but it's more on the 'blah' side.

I'm kinda worried that out of all the newer series, I'm only decently interested in 3 (Farewell Akaboshi...) of them: Psyren, Bakuman and Toriko. There's nothing that looks like it'll be as great as the Big Three.

What's the ratio of genres that's currently being serialized btw?
 
Last edited:

Ryogo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Reading:

1. Nurarihyon no Mago
2. Ane Doki!
3. Beelzebub
4. Psyren
5. Medaka Box
6. Naruto
7. Bleach

On Hold:

- Reborn!
- Bakuman
- Kuroko
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Does anyone know when Jump Super Anime Tour 2009 starts?
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Reading (placed in the order I would read them were they all to appear at the same time in Engrish :p):

1. One Piece - is an explanation really needed?
2. Nurarihyon no Mago - has quickly become my second favorite manga in the anthology, not to mention I love the art.
3. Bleach - pretty pictures and decent story
.
.
.
hmm,
.
.
.
oh,
4. Beelzebub - it's losing some of it's original spark, but I'll continue to read it for a little bit longer
5. Naruto - I'm seriously considering dropping this one. Haven't come close to enjoying the story in a long time.
6. Bakuman - technically, I only half read this one as I only skim through it.

Wow, shocking to discover I actually only enjoy 3 current running WSJ manga. Didn't realize it was that low of a number.

Edit:
Oh and looking at the ToC a bit back, I'm glad to see Mago so high. It really deserves it, and it's good to see it doing consistently well for quite a while now.
 
Last edited:

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Jump - New Artist Prize question.

It has to be an original manga.

This contest looks too good to be true. *_*
...it's probably only for Japanese people though...On the other hand, they never specified what language the manga should be in... What to do, what to do...
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well... due to not having enough time, I've fallen behind on several WSJ series now :/

The up to date ones:
Bleach
One Piece
Beelz
Bakuman
Gintama
Psyren
Medaka Box

Behind by almost a month:
Naruto
Akaboshi (I guess I'll be able to finish it when it ends this week :/)
Ane-doki

Pretty much ignoring at the moment:
Everything else.

So much to read, so little time...
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Bleach is better received than Naruto here.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

lol, Bleach is more like a "have to read it" series, since I'm the back-up translator for it for my group.

OP is mainly because the raw always come out so soon ;)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I found a Jump cover for issue 49.

 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Jump - New Artist Prize question.

Moved to the Otaku Cafe
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top