Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

My feelings are that Naruto goes on until early 2011, just based on what is left to cover in the manga. I don't think Kishimoto is going to rush the ending.

I think he'll prove not to be a one-hit wonder, as well. Say what you will about Naruto, Kishimoto is a guy who comes up with a lot of ideas. I think he's proven that, and that will mean that he'll be able to develop another hit. I doubt he'll ever put out something quite as successful as Naruto again, but I do think that he'll succeed post-Naruto.

I also think you could make an argument that Kishimoto and Konomi created (and continue to create) series so massively successful and long running that they deserve to be inducted simply for Naruto and Prince of Tennis. I wouldn't say right away, but certainly eventually. It's the same argument that I think people would make for Morikawa and Aoyama, looking outside of Jump.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think you are wrong. Dragonball(Z) made Manga popular worldwide. Naruto just surfed on the wave made by Toriyama.
I disagree. DBZ was very important for one generation, but it's Naruto that's sustaining that interest and bringing in new fans now that Dragonball has, well, ended. I remember watching DBZ as a child, but I don't even see it on TV anymore. Kids these days are wearing Naruto headbands; Naruto's got a ton of Shonen Jump covers (though Ichigo now has a lot, too <_<). Dragonball may have introduced people to manga and anime overseas (though it's hardly the only series to have done so), but it's not the series of today. And the market wasn't nearly as big back then.

Naruto has definitely had a huge influence on manga and manga fans - maybe not in Japan so much, but overseas for sure. The question is, does Japan care as much about a series' influence outside its borders? I kind of doubt it, personally. I don't think Naruto will get the recognition it deserves for influencing a new generation of fans the way it has (then again, knowing how obnoxious some of those fans can be... =P).
 

user216

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

i think luck also played part in overseas popularity;dragonball's reach was limited but naruto gained because it coincided with the rise of video streaming sites.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Any further posts about Naruto or Naruto's over seas popularity will be deleted.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I found a cover for issue 50.

 

¬Bol

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
357
Reaction score
104
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think I'll read Neko Wappa, love this image.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Thanks for the scans, Heiji-sama!

Funny how it's stated on the cover that Kuroko's CP is a reward for its BIG popularity...yeah, right.
And the "Naruto 10 Years Special Memorial Book"'s planning is "in progress".

For the new series, I'm kinda okay with Neko Wappa!. It definitely doesn't look like a "MUST READ!!!" series to me but I think I'll glimpse through it once there are 2 or 3 chaps out.
The preview for Asou's Kanata Seven Change looks kinda two-edged. While some pictures look really funny and cool others are just too plain...but I'm looking forward to it. :tem
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Seven Change is having 36 pages for its first chapter. Is it too short for chapter 1 of regular series?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Great art and toothpaste is an unstoppable combination. I don't care about the page count, it looks genius! I like the art for Neko, good or bad it is at least worth a try. Apparently Gintama is only taking a one week break from color.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Thanks for the scans, Heiji-sama!

Funny how it's stated on the cover that Kuroko's CP is a reward for its BIG popularity...yeah, right.
And the "Naruto 10 Years Special Memorial Book"'s planning is "in progress".
If I remember right, Kuroko's actually selling very good. So it might not be in a popular position in the ToC, it is in the Sales numbers.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Alright, now its been further cemented that I'm not reading Neko Wappa. Not that there was much chance of me budging to begin with.

If I remember right, Kuroko's actually selling very good. So it might not be in a popular position in the ToC, it is in the Sales numbers.
If that is their reason this time it makes me wonder what was the reason for the other 3 times it dropped to the bottom 5 and they gave it color pages. They should just let it bottom dwell like To Love Ru if its sales are going to nullify its poor rankings.

Seven Change is having 36 pages for its first chapter. Is it too short for chapter 1 of regular series?
He may not have needed 50 something pages to get it done. Sometimes new manga may start off with more or less than the 50-60 page range.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I really like the ToC scans. I hope this continues :D
seems like mangakas of Ane Doki and Sket Dance are stressing with their works. I hope they don't kill themselves.

hmm I like the pics for Neko Wappa, although the other serie seems like its going to be really wacky. not sure if i'll like that one. the toothbrush throws me off.
 
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I just read the chapter 1 of Neko Wappa, and I really liked it. I hope it'll survive long.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Some parts were a bit cringeworthy but otherwise it seemed decent.

Hard to say whether I see it succeeding but I don't really see it having to fight with any particular series either, so that may help it's chances.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

just read Neko Wappa.
it was pretty decent. seemed like the mangaka decided to put more action than the oneshot, but I'm not sure about doing well on WSJ. can't really say I like the actual chapter better than the oneshot.
it seemed more like a manga for other places like Shounen Sunday. its not JUMP-like, but its not original either.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Moderator Notice:
If you want to talk about more about Neko Wappa then start a thread in the Shounen section, more posts about Neko in detail will be deleted. ~ Akiyama
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Neko Wappa looks....decent. I'll give it a try since every series deserves at least a try but doesn't look like something I'm gonna like. But I really hope its not as, for lack of a better word, silly as Rilienthal.

Also, Seven Changes looks like it might be pretty good.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

All I ask of Neko is that it's silly! The art reminds me of something from the '50's. A nice, light hearted, old school shonen is what I'm hoping for. The preview of Asou's new series looks good. Nice to see two goofy looking series coming at once, Jump needs some more light, fun manga!
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I wouldn't mind silly if its done in an entertaining way. Rilienthal was just kinida stupid. As long as Neko's not like that, I'll probably be cool with it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I did not care for Rilienthal either. What I'm hoping for something a little easier going, I find a lot of Jump series, not just the action series, to be to similar in mood. A few exceptions aside there are a lot of intense, high tempo manga in Jump. Something laid back to read every weekend would be nice.

As for Rilienthal I hear chapter 2 is an improvement. We'll see. Seeing as it will probably be canceled eventually I don't want to get attached but for the time being I will keep reading.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top