Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Psyren had one one of it's best ranking, good for them. Medaka will just drop back down again next week, just wait and see and Ane Dokî will get out of the bottem 5 just like Bakuman.

I really liked Neko Wappa as an addition to WSJ. Last time it was a dog (Rilienthal) so they add a cat theme this time. Smart choice! :tem

3 weeks of Oda coloring will be great. :woo
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Psyren so high~ along with Kuroko.
i hope Psyren manages to get a color page for once.

Medaka wan't a huge improvement, but it managed to be in 10th place :D

I'm interested in the oneshot since I liked Zan (read it a few weeks ago). I hope someone scans it.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It looks like Jump is promoting some old series; Reborn first, then Gintama, then One Piece. I'm going to wonder if they going to promote old series again on Januray.

Also, did Sket Dance also started a popularity poll? I think it should be a time to get result by now.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

muwlove said:
It looks like Jump is promoting some old series; Reborn first, then Gintama, then One Piece. I'm going to wonder if they going to promote old series again on Januray.
Yeah, I would like to see sth like this with Naruto series :wtf
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yeah, I would like to see sth like this with Naruto series :wtf
I don't Naruto will get one month promotion because Jump already promoted for its 10th year anniversary for almost half a year.

I think they might promote Bleach next, or might be HxH, well because it is returning on January.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Good to see Psyren go top 5 even if it deserved it more six months ago than it does now :p Still, a good series, always glad to see it do well! I'm disappointed Mago dropped to the middle, life will move on I guess. I'm less shocked that OP gets the month of color, rather I'm surprised Oda is willing to do that much at once. He usually only seems to do 4 or 5 a year.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

well, now we all know what Oda has been doing during all those hiatus...
such a busy man.
first its the movie vol 0, than chap 0, and now OP month.
thank you Oda :yourock

I guess this month of color pages is like WSJ's new trend?
I'm assuming Kuroko will get one eventually.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I got back from NYC and the first thing I get to see is that Psyren has a top 3 place: I call that, sweet and smooth :D Iirc, the rated chapter is the one where Grana and Miroku meet each other in the future (or am I wrong?)

Anyway (from top to subtop and from subtop to bottom), yoyo-ing is a fact for a lot of series: beelzebub, kuroko, psyren, mago
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Not too surprise about Mago, it is based on the chapter where they show Rikuo's dumb friends in Kyoto. It will probably rise again with the battles in the second seal
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm kind of sad Psyren yet to have any project going on.

Sket Dance and Nurarihyon got drama cd, novelization, and advertised on Jump Bang; Toriko got OVA for Jump Tour; Bakuman and Inumaru got vomic; even Kuroko and Beelzebub also advertised on Jump Bang. Compared to these series, Psyren has nothing. I hope Psyren will get something soon.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Psyren hasn't gotten anything because it hasn't done as well as those other series in general.
But maybe Jump will start pushing Psyren if it's gotten third place after usually being more like 10th-15th...
Toriko's in first, so I'm glad about that.

Even with the cover they put Gintama kinda low, but I suppose when something has the cover even without the opening cover, its rank is sorta unfixed.
And I dunno how Kuroko always gets so high, but no one's Editing it so how could I... I'm not reading raws for a series as complex as that...

Neko Wappa and Kanata Seven Change are still unranked, but Jaguar has a color page, both shifting things up and down.
Plus Bleach is absent, so it makes the magazine ranking kinda weird.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

And I dunno how Kuroko always gets so high, but no one's Editing it so how could I... I'm not reading raws for a series as complex as that...
.
well, this week's Kuroko's ranked chapter (ch 39 i think) had a color page + introduced a new super-powered rival + showed a new female character. so maybe thats why....
to be honest, its not that bad of a series, even though its not something amazing. its good enough to keep until a new sports manga comes out.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

well, this week's Kuroko's ranked chapter (ch 39 i think) had a color page + introduced a new super-powered rival + showed a new female character. so maybe thats why....
Actually, the ranking is based on chapter 40, not 39.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Somehow at this point, I think that even with Psyren's sudden jump into third, the only way that it probably will get more respect in the TOC is if it can do so more often. I mean it isn't really a cellar-dweller anymore and may finally be catching on, but that won't really get it the notice that some of the other '08 series are getting (particularly Toriko and Mago, which are both essentially bee-lining to anime at this point).

Seeing OP getting first again after essentially forever brough a smile to my face for sure. Other than that, it's a really confusing TOC (made even more so with Gintama's end of month cover and Bleach being off, taking them essentially out of contention)
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Actually, the ranking is based on chapter 40, not 39.
really? correct me if I'm wrong, but Kuroko's upcoming chapter is 47, right?
the ToC are based on 8 chapters before, since ToC for first 8 weeks are pre-determined, so that means ToC that comes out on chapter 9 is showing ranks of chap 1 right?
So isn't this ToC showing chap 39? (47-8=39) or am I missing something....
I always get confused with matching the ranks to right chapter :p
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

really? correct me if I'm wrong, but Kuroko's upcoming chapter is 47, right?
the ToC are based on 8 chapters before, since ToC for first 8 weeks are pre-determined, so that means ToC that comes out on chapter 9 is showing ranks of chap 1 right?
So isn't this ToC showing chap 39? (47-8=39) or am I missing something....
I always get confused with matching the ranks to right chapter :p
First official ranking is always start at chapter 8 (8-7=1). So, actually is ranking is based on chapter 40 (47-7=40).
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Outstanding!! Best new series since Beelze. I love the old school feel and art; reminds me of early Toriyama, Dr. Slump and Dragonball. The action scenes worked perfectly, Tama is a great lead, all around great new series!
So uh...theoretically speaking, if someone....(not naming names) were interested in Translating Neko Wappa, (interested, but not sure.) Should said person start from chapter one? Or should this person (again not naming names) start with the second one?

One piece color month is bitchin' though. (Whining) Why couldn't Gintama get a 'true' month though? It seems to me that they 'celebrated' in name only....

I'd watch a Mago anime though. (And that's saying a lot, as I'm pretty picky nowadays. I think the only shows I watch are Gintama and the new DTB.) I sort of echo what some others are saying, that Psyren deserves a bit more love.

Moderator Notice:
If, in theory, said person were interested in translating a certain series this theoretical person should PM a certain mod who would kill to scanlate that series. He has his own thoughts on chapter 1 but hesitates to post them publicly. ;)~ Kaiten.Sama
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I hope this is a sign for good things to come Psyren's way.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,181
Reaction score
30,232
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

One piece color month is bitchin' though. (Whining) Why couldn't Gintama get a 'true' month though? It seems to me that they 'celebrated' in name only....
I'd guess it ultimately comes down to the manga-ka for these dedicated months. Amano was obviously more willing to put colors/cover art out than Sorachi.


And if I'm not mistaken, Psyren's ranking is based on chapter 88 which was Ageha's Dad being revealed and the return of Matsuri.
 
Last edited:

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

i live in australia and we get WSJ in on tuesday at kinokuninya the week before they normely release it, they just have it sitting inside the japanese book counter (your not meant to go in there but no1 is every there) and when you take one to the counter the people working there have no idea so you get it a week early, people have told me about doing this but ive never botherd (i cant read jap well) so why bother, but i have a scanner now so i might scan it up to MH next week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top