Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

bakuman isnt ur averge shonen either, lol.
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Even though I'm a big Obata fan, I'll say Bleach because the art is just about the only thing it actually has going for it over the past few years, and Kubo at least deserves a little bit of love.

Reborn also has very good art, as does One Piece.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

By the way, I was wondering, which current series running in Jump do you guys think have the best art. List them in order of preference please. Mine would have to be:
There are only two series whose art I can say I thoroughly enjoy.

One Piece, because, well, the characters just seem larger than life and they are all very much unique. There really isn't a cookie cutter mold for One Piece characters. Not to mention how creative each island is.

Oh, and Duval, nuff said :p.

The other is definitely Mago. I find the art very appealing and especially love the way battles are drawn. When the art goes calligraphy style, well then it just owns.

The rest (of what I read) from Jump all seem very similar to me.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I found Akaboshi the best, but it's out already, so I guess it doesn't count.

Actually had a conversation about this some while ago, Akaboshi and Medaka were on the top, but Medaka's been going downhill.

For the moment I guess I'll have to say Bleach, One Piece and Psyren would make the top three complete (not in any particular order) because of it's clean-cut and yet somewhat raw casual style.

Bakuman and Rilienthal are the worst in the magazine imo, mainly because I just don't like Rilienthal's and because Obata's trying a new style which still shows a lot of flaws.
 

Jase

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

IMO, the series w/ the best art are Psyren, Bleach, Bakuman, and Ane Doki. I thought Akaboshi's art was really good too. That's not meant to dog other series in Jump right now, but I personally find some of them to be an acquired taste, like One Piece, or I think the artist is still growing and we haven't seen their best stuff yet, like Beelzebub and Mago.
 

hdiuy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
1,885
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I agree with Xadyu about the quality of akaboshi's art. I was impressed when Akaboshi was first released. At the moment i would put Bakuman and Reborn as my top two 'consistent' art. While Naruto and One Piece are in my 'non-consistent' list, i'm writing 'non-consistent' as there are some character art that i really liked and some i don't really like.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

One Piece and Mago for me, would count Akaboshi if it was still running.

Rilienthal could have potential because I really like the style, but it'd take some time to see where that goes.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Can anybody get the volume sales numbers of Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece from volume 1 to 15?
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I would have definitely chosen Akaboshi as well if it were still running. It's not unfortunately... And although its also been canceled, Bokke-san would be one of my top favourites.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Akaboshi and Eyeshield21 art were amazing. I loved how Amano used indian ink in a watercolour style from time to times. And also about Murata the cross hatching technique used gave the series an epic touch.

Currently I like Bakuman's art it has a very fun and deitaled style specially in color pages and volume covers.
Mago's art is also amazing it seems like traditional japanese paintings.
Ane doki's art is also prety good just like most echi series.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Murata did some beautiful colour spreads, but for some reason I though his art in the manga was pretty average except for a couple scenes.
 

wingman32x

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

wow.. Ane Doki just escaped the bottom 5. better than the last place it had last week but not too reassuring at all...


Wait, when the bottom 5 came out beelze was in it. Why is it at #3?
 
Last edited:

wingman32x

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Oh thanks! I was wondering what was up with that.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Ane and Hokenshitsu barely improved...

OP so low is a bit weird, but I guess its because of Chapter 0.
 

Ronin88

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

To me the best artwork would be Bleach and Mago. If Akaboshi was still running i would of chose it....R.I.P. I quite miss Akaboshi.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I never knew OP could get so low. (someone whispers something about double chapters) Oh...yeah.

Well other than that silliness, good week for Beezle (after a horrible one last time) and Bakuman (haven't seen it this high in a while). And I'm also sort of hoping we get a flyer on the Mago anime so we get a bit on who is doing it.
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I guess OP isn't ranked here, because of chapter 0.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yeah, OP is probably in the middle to get some space between the special chapter and the regular chapter. I guess we can count it out in this ToC then, can't we?

Should be something like this then:

  1. Naruto
  2. Bleach
  3. Beelzebub
  4. Bakuman
  5. Katekyo Hitman Reborn!
  6. Inumaru Dashi
  7. Kuroko no Basket
  8. One Piece
  9. Kochi Kame
  10. Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
  11. Ane-Doki
  12. Sket Dance
  13. Toriko
  14. Kashikoi Inu Rilienthal
  15. Psyren
  16. Medaka Box
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

If it wasn't for Psyren being so low, this would come close to a near perfect ToC. Beelzebub and Bakuman both in the top 5, Nekowappa being placed so high (even though its not ranked, this has gotta be a good sign), Mago anime annoucement, and One Piece double chapters! I may have a fan-gasm.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Nekowappa being placed so high (even though its not ranked, this has gotta be a good sign)
I can't determined it is good sign. Medaka and Akaboshi were placed high, but they dropped when they got ranked, also Hokenshitsu and Rilienthal were quite high, but both are not doing very good (especially Rilienthal).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top