Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kobester11

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Anyone here have the raws for the 2 new oneshots?

PharaoDopazo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shonen Sunday #44 (30/9)
Kyoukai no Rinne (Cover, Lead CP)

Meitantei Conan
Major 2nd
Tenshi to Akuto!!
Denpa Kyoushi
Charactimes Golden
Ad Astra Per Aspera (CP)
Be Blues!
Nanoha Yougashi-ten no Ii Shigoto
Saike Mata Shite mo
Joujuu Senjin!! Mushibugyo
Lettuce 2-ko Bun no Suteki
Tokiwa Kitareri!!
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Hayate no Gotoku!
Heavens Runner Akira
Zettai Karen Children
Saezuri Koukou OK-bu!
Ane Log
And-Pair
Okigae no Susume (CP, Shin Sedai Sunday Grandprix Entry #4)
Gulliver (CP, Shin Sedai Sunday Grandprix Entry #5)

Sensou Gekijou
Area D
Tutti!
Oishii Kamishama
Absent: Magi, Daga shikashi

Shonen Sunday #45
Cover, Lead CP: Akatsuki no Tyrant (New Series by Iori)
CP: Denpa Kyoushi
One Shot: Monster Strike wo Hippatta Kantachi (Part 1)

RafaFedKilla

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Are all the Grand Prix entries set in school?

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Are all the Grand Prix entries set in school?
No, Kodomo isn't for sure. Fantastic Link is about ice skating and I think it wasn't set in school, but I'm not sure about it.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Weekly Shounen Sunday #45 Cover

Akatsuki no Tyrant 1st Chapter RAW

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
No, Kodomo isn't for sure. Fantastic Link is about ice skating and I think it wasn't set in school, but I'm not sure about it.

---------- Post added at 04:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Weekly Shounen Sunday #45 Cover

Akatsuki no Tyrant 1st Chapter RAW
Interesting first chapter. The main character (or in this case villain?) Akatsuki Kazuma wants to "crush judo" and issued a challenge to those at that tournament (that the big dude won, and then was subsequently defeated by Akatsuki) that someone defeat him in three years. So I suppose the manga is going to be a fighting one a la Kengan Ashura where different opponents try to defeat Akatsuki in the three year limit. Iori is a rookie (as they wrote several times on the cover and in the manga itself), so it'll be fascinating to see him (or her?) grow as an artist and storyteller.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Interesting first chapter. The main character (or in this case villain?) Akatsuki Kazuma wants to "crush judo" and issued a challenge to those at that tournament (that the big dude won, and then was subsequently defeated by Akatsuki) that someone defeat him in three years. So I suppose the manga is going to be a fighting one a la Kengan Ashura where different opponents try to defeat Akatsuki in the three year limit. Iori is a rookie (as they wrote several times on the cover and in the manga itself), so it'll be fascinating to see him (or her?) grow as an artist and storyteller.
I really liked this first chapter, something uncompromising and not cliche at the same time. The story progress will be important, but that really is a promising start. Art is looking nice, it looks a bit like that of Kengan though it's not that "clean", it's rougher and gives more classic vibe, like 90' action manga art, to it. Concept is twisted for a shounen battle and sports manga at that, instead of someone pursuing the first spot we get someone that is (or thinks he is) at the top and challenges other to fight him. Problem could be characters, it's just a first chapter and it's a question for how long we'll wait for other important characters to appear in the manga. I like this MC, still I need more backstory and motives that drives him, so we'll wait for that.

Let's see if this thing can challenge series similar to it and survive in Sunday.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really liked this first chapter, something uncompromising and not cliche at the same time. The story progress will be important, but that really is a promising start. Art is looking nice, it looks a bit like that of Kengan though it's not that "clean", it's rougher and gives more classic vibe, like 90' action manga art, to it. Concept is twisted for a shounen battle and sports manga at that, instead of someone pursuing the first spot we get someone that is (or thinks he is) at the top and challenges other to fight him. Problem could be characters, it's just a first chapter and it's a question for how long we'll wait for other important characters to appear in the manga. I like this MC, still I need more backstory and motives that drives him, so we'll wait for that.

Let's see if this thing can challenge series similar to it and survive in Sunday.
Heh, I like the way you put that. "Challenge other series similar and survive", since that's basically the premise of this series. I'm at work so I can't read it properly, but the summary I wrote is the basic premise. If I remember to when I get home, I'll read it a little more in-depth and give a better synopsis.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
the new series seems to be heavily influenced by Baki

both Kodansha & Shueisha debuted series like that very recently & both flopped (Yukikaze White Wind & Ultra Battle Satellite)

but lets hope this one is a success

DeidaraGrimmjow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have to say, after seeing the premise I'm a little less excited about this one. The art is great and I'm glad it's about fighting but it seems like the protagonist is going to be cheap and overpowered but we shall see.

Either way, I'm glad Sunday (or really just the new EiC) is taking on something fresh. No gag, romance or slice-of-life series this time. I hope it can find an audience. Martial arts manga don't ever seem to break that threshold that fantasy battle manga do. I'm not getting my hopes up because of this.

p.s. Thanks to the upload and summary. Does anyone know if this series is just going to be about judo or will other martial arts styles be included. If it's the former, that's another strike against the manga for me.

Last edited:

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I have to say, after seeing the premise I'm a little less excited about this one. The art is great and I'm glad it's about fighting but it seems like the protagonist is going to be cheap and overpowered but we shall see.

Either way, I'm glad Sunday (or really just the new EiC) is taking on something fresh. No gag, romance or slice-of-life series this time. I hope it can find an audience. Martial arts manga don't ever seem to break that threshold that fantasy battle manga do. I'm not getting my hopes up because of this.
Name for new series starting in #46 is Hatsukoi Zombie. So next series will probably be a rom-com (I hope for a really, really twisted one). Still, what matters is quality.

p.s. Thanks to the upload and summary. Does anyone know if this series is just going to be about judo or will other martial arts styles be included. If it's the former, that's another strike against the manga for me.
Main character wants to 'destroy' judo, so clearly it looks like it'll focus on it.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
If Fantastic Link is about ice skating, I HAVE to read it. I loved Blizzard Axel.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Lettuce will end with 3rd volume

---------- Post added at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 AM ----------

Hatsu-Koi Zombie by Minenami Ryou

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Also don't know if Saezuri isn't ending (maybe something is here about end?) and Oishii should be close to ending. There should be 13 or 14 chapters per volume, so it should either end in next 3 or 6 chapters. I'm waiting to see if it's happening, more hyped about it than most of the new series that came last years. Character Times is strangely high in TOC, it looks like it have a normal new series treatment, so I don't know if it'll end or move. I rather hoped that the "golden" thing could be just one volume in length, still it needs around 7 or 9 chapters to get required page count for it. Anyway if new EiC will remove all of the short unprofitable gag manga before end of the year I'll be really, really happy, sadly he did it in the wrong order (Sensou, Lettuce, probably Saezuri, Oishii and Character Times), but that's probably because it's harder to fill a volume for a short comedy series than a normal one. Let's see how he rolls this. Last volume of Sensou will be released in December.

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also don't know if Saezuri isn't ending (maybe something is here about end?) and Oishii should be close to ending. There should be 13 or 14 chapters per volume, so it should either end in next 3 or 6 chapters. I'm waiting to see if it's happening, more hyped about it than most of the new series that came last years. Character Times is strangely high in TOC, it looks like it have a normal new series treatment, so I don't know if it'll end or move. I rather hoped that the "golden" thing could be just one volume in length, still it needs around 7 or 9 chapters to get required page count for it. Anyway if new EiC will remove all of the short unprofitable gag manga before end of the year I'll be really, really happy, sadly he did it in the wrong order (Sensou, Lettuce, probably Saezuri, Oishii and Character Times), but that's probably because it's harder to fill a volume for a short comedy series than a normal one. Let's see how he rolls this. Last volume of Sensou will be released in December.
"完結刊" Does literally mean "final publication", so I guess it's the final volume? It makes sense to end the short gag manga as they really don't offer much to the magazine. The EiC is really living up to his promises, which is good to see.

I finally got the two issues of sunday with the GPX oneshots so I can form an opinion on them. In my opinion, none of them could become series in their own right, and two of them (Gulliver & Osusume) were downright weird (in a bad way.) I'm not really into sports manga so Fantastic Rink (not "L"ink like we thought), didn't really interest me either. Kodomo no Kamisama was by far the best of the batch, and I'd like to see that dude get serialized. I'm not sure what genre he'd be suited for, or even if he should be in WSS, but I liked the one shot enough to want to see more from him.

Saike's fourth series is now done, and Fukuchi mentioned that it's his favorite series so far despite being completely different than what he had imagined it to be when it was in the planning stages. He also mentions that the fourth volume should be out at the beginning of 2016, which suggests that series five will start around January. He implied that he's already done drawing series five, and now has to wait for space to open up in the mag, which seems to suggest they'll have a few new series between now and then.

Magi being on it's final arc is interesting --though really, final arcs in Shounen manga can take years so I wouldn't be surprised if it's around for a while yet. Mushibugyo on the other hand seems more and more likely to end fairly soon. It'll be interesting to see how the mag changes with the new EiC being unafraid to end manga quickly and some series reaching their natural conclusion.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm disappointed to hear you were disappointed by the oneshots. I'm a big fan of potential and the future and I want Sunday to succeed and cultivate talent. I guess if I could find it, I would like to read Fantastic Rink the most. Since Oda went it to the opposite direction I was hoping he would.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm disappointed to hear you were disappointed by the oneshots. I'm a big fan of potential and the future and I want Sunday to succeed and cultivate talent. I guess if I could find it, I would like to read Fantastic Rink the most. Since Oda went it to the opposite direction I was hoping he would.
Ah, disappointed is a strong word. More like, all of them were basically written to just be oneshots. It didn't seem to me like the authors were thinking of serializing them, though I guess Gulliver could maybe make it to the serialization stage, but that one was really not that good. Kodomo was the best one, but I think the story wrapped itself up nicely in the oneshot, and making it longer would probably just decrease it's overall quality.

I do hope Oda returns to action --or at least a less "been-there-done-that" SOL.

Hatsukoi Zombie teases that it could be an action or horror manga, but it is a love comedy. That was kind of like a slap in the face, tbh. Still I'll read the first chapter before ignoring it like I do most romantic comedies.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Kodomo was best, that practically everyone says, but it was great as a oneshot and it would be hard to serialise it. Author needs to push something else for serialisation. On the other hand I think Fantastic and Komi were actually more intended to give the stories a spin toward serialisation. As I said, Komi big advantage could be the way it could have become a series, it really could be put as monthly/short/normal weekly series and every way it would suit it. I liked it, but I know this guy have bigger potential. I'm still dreaming to see Space Konbini manga serialisation - this idea was such a great thing, it could have become the next Gintama-like manga and finally replace Hayate in the mag. Fantastic Rink biggest problem was probably the fact that it felt like it was a shoujo manga. The art needs to be more sharp, even if it's about figure skating. It needs to give bigger impact, Ballrom he Youkoso could be an example how to do something like it. It should be closer to a standard shounen sport manga, but that can be fixed if they would push for serialisation with it. Gulliver didn't got good reception and Susume got half-half. Some really liked it, some hated it.

Shinya, Hotori and my man Oda are really promising guys, I would like to see their serialisation. It'll be fun to see who from them will be first to get a series now.

And for a small interesting note - Oda is 24 and Shinya is 25.

Also, the guy who's doing Hatsukoi Zombie, did a pretty mature romance/slice of life manga with psychological elements. I want to believe that even though it's rom-com it wouldn't be something stupid and be kinda twisted at its core.

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Kodomo was best, that practically everyone says, but it was great as a oneshot and it would be hard to serialise it. Author needs to push something else for serialisation. On the other hand I think Fantastic and Komi were actually more intended to give the stories a spin toward serialisation. As I said, Komi big advantage could be the way it could have become a series, it really could be put as monthly/short/normal weekly series and every way it would suit it. I liked it, but I know this guy have bigger potential. I'm still dreaming to see Space Konbini manga serialisation - this idea was such a great thing, it could have become the next Gintama-like manga and finally replace Hayate in the mag. Fantastic Rink biggest problem was probably the fact that it felt like it was a shoujo manga. The art needs to be more sharp, even if it's about figure skating. It needs to give bigger impact, Ballrom he Youkoso could be an example how to do something like it. It should be closer to a standard shounen sport manga, but that can be fixed if they would push for serialisation with it. Gulliver didn't got good reception and Susume got half-half. Some really liked it, some hated it.

Shinya, Hotori and my man Oda are really promising guys, I would like to see their serialisation. It'll be fun to see who from them will be first to get a series now.

And for a small interesting note - Oda is 24 and Shinya is 25.

Also, the guy who's doing Hatsukoi Zombie, did a pretty mature romance/slice of life manga with psychological elements. I want to believe that even though it's rom-com it wouldn't be something stupid and be kinda twisted at its core.
Good to know about the Hatsukoi Zombie's artist. I'm now looking forward to a little, though I'm still reserved since I pretty much dislike all romance manga. I could see Rink getting serialized, but as my interest isn't in sports either, I probably wouldn't be too interested in it. In the case of Oda, I really think Sunday should move away from short gag manga for a while, even if Komi-san was a little better than what they have had. I'd like to see the Space Convenience store one-shot at some point since you've spoken so highly of it.

I'd actually like to see Bako back since Drea.Mer was pretty good. Tajima too, since I did like Musou even though it got cancelled. Hell, if possible Nakayama should come back since Traumeister got a cult sort of following after it ended. Shinya and Oda would be nice as well, I think. If Moritya (Moricha?) could handle weekly I'd like to see him come to a Sunday magazine since I did love Bullet Armors dearly.

I think Bako is 25 as well as Tajima. A lot of younger artists are coming up, which is kind of exciting.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Good to know about the Hatsukoi Zombie's artist. I'm now looking forward to a little, though I'm still reserved since I pretty much dislike all romance manga. I could see Rink getting serialized, but as my interest isn't in sports either, I probably wouldn't be too interested in it. In the case of Oda, I really think Sunday should move away from short gag manga for a while, even if Komi-san was a little better than what they have had. I'd like to see the Space Convenience store one-shot at some point since you've spoken so highly of it.

I'd actually like to see Bako back since Drea.Mer was pretty good. Tajima too, since I did like Musou even though it got cancelled. Hell, if possible Nakayama should come back since Traumeister got a cult sort of following after it ended. Shinya and Oda would be nice as well, I think. If Moritya (Moricha?) could handle weekly I'd like to see him come to a Sunday magazine since I did love Bullet Armors dearly.

I think Bako is 25 as well as Tajima. A lot of younger artists are coming up, which is kind of exciting.

Yea, Bullet Armors rocked! It would be sick, if he tried to come to WSS now, he knows EiC and I think he will surely get one or two mangakas from Gessan to try their luck here. Nakayama also would be great, though I don't know if he would like to try for the second time in WSS. It would be epic, but it's pretty unrealistic. I'm also waiting for Sugawara Kenji (author of Gan-kon) to come back. It was such a hilarious manga, concept was pretty bad, but it was hella funny.

To be accurate Bako is 26, Tajima as you said 25. Dosei and Kotoyama are 26 and youngest now is the author of Ampere (the one handling story), he's 21. The biggest miss of Sunday were times from 2005 to 2009 when they didn't practically get any big series and most of their young artist after one failure didn't show and try second time. Even in Jump it's not like their mangaka get a hit series from the first serialisation - Black Clover and Academia are grand examples of it. Instead of trying only new guys or putting priority to guys who got hit series before (maybe if Wakaki and Matsuena got longer vacations their series would be better?) try to give chance to guys that didn't make it for the first time. I think their motivation is a lot higher than guys that starts or the one I mentioned above, because they know how lose tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.