Mag Talk - Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021) | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animeace

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Last edited:

Negative Syndicate

NO really are you sure that sucks mangaupdates has it listed 2volumes and ongoing and you see the date for the trailer was just posted a week ago. 2nd tankbon just came out not long ago http://books.shueisha.co.jp/CGI/search/syousai_put.cgi?isbn_cd=978-4-08-879243-9&mode=1 wierd they through trouble of pomoting it if it where canceled.
Jashu was serialized from April to August Issue in Monthly Young Jung, then it moved to Miracle Jump and serialized from Issue 1 to 5. The final volume released after the series has finished.

Animeace

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Jashu was serialized from April to August Issue in Monthly Young Jung, then it moved to Miracle Jump and serialized from Issue 1 to 5. The final volume released after the series has finished.
Ah I see now thanks for the info^^ I swear you two are like walking manga encyclopedias:ol dont know how you can keep track of so much stuff and I did not realize there where so many different versions of Jump.XD

Negative Syndicate

I did not realize there where so many different versions of Jump.XD
Here are all of Jumps in Shueisha:

Shonen - Weekly Shonen Jump, Shonen Jump Next!, Jump SQ., Jump SQ.19, Jump SQ. LaB, Saikyo Jump, V Jump
Seinen - Weekly Young Jump, Miracle Jump, Jump Kai, Grand Jump, Grand Jump Premium, Ultra Jump, Ultra Jump Egg

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Every magazine aimed at males - shounen or seinen - has Jump in the title. As with most seinen magazines, Shueisha's tend to target relatively specific audiences:
  • Young Jump: Mainstream seinen, flagship magazine
  • Ultra Jump: Sci-fi/fantasy/action manga
  • Ultra Jump Egg: Online special issue of Ultra Jump (think Jump NEXT)
  • Grand Jump: Targets middle age readers. Formerly Business and Super Jump.
  • Grand Jump Premium: Monthly companion of Grand Jump.
  • Miracle Jump: Formerly Monthly Young Jump, re-branded and released bi-monthly. Advertised as blurring the line between seinen and shounen. Mostly action and fantasy manga.
  • Jump X: "New Age" manga magazine designed to blur the line between the four demographics. Most of the artists have experience in seinen, josei, and shounen. Shueisha deliberately did not give Jump X (Jump Kai, Kai is the Japanese pronunciation of X) a demographic.
Shueisha seinen is inferior to Shogakukan and Kodansha, as well as many smaller publishers such as Enterbrain and Ohta Books. I'd highly recommend ignoring Shueisha to anyone looking to find more seinen to read.

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Every magazine aimed at males - shounen or seinen - has Jump in the title. As with most seinen magazines, Shueisha's tend to target relatively specific audiences:
  • Young Jump: Mainstream seinen, flagship magazine
  • Ultra Jump: Sci-fi/fantasy/action manga
  • Ultra Jump Egg: Online special issue of Ultra Jump (think Jump NEXT)
  • Grand Jump: Targets middle age readers. Formerly Business and Super Jump.
  • Grand Jump Premium: Monthly companion of Grand Jump.
  • Miracle Jump: Formerly Monthly Young Jump, re-branded and released bi-monthly. Advertised as blurring the line between seinen and shounen. Mostly action and fantasy manga.
  • Jump X: "New Age" manga magazine designed to blur the line between the four demographics. Most of the artists have experience in seinen, josei, and shounen. Shueisha deliberately did not give Jump X (Jump Kai, Kai is the Japanese pronunciation of X) a demographic.
Shueisha seinen is inferior to Shogakukan and Kodansha, as well as many smaller publishers such as Enterbrain and Ohta Books. I'd highly recommend ignoring Shueisha to anyone looking to find more seinen to read.
Let's not be too hasty now. Don't REAL and Kokou no Hito run in Young Jump? Those two manga alone are reason enough not to outright ignore Shueisha's Seinen manga.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I would recommend REAL as a part of Inoue's body of work, and I would recommend a new fan read Vagabond first. There certainly have been some great manga serialized in Shueisha seinen, but they are exceptions, rather than the rule. And many I would recommend as part of a body of work, rather than a deeper exploration of Shueisha seinen. Nihei and Toume Kei come to mind as examples. Biomega and Abara may have been serialized in Ultra Jump, but Nihei is primarily associated with Kodansha's Afternoon, a magazine he returned to after Biomega ended, ending his association with Shueisha. Toume Kei serializes Sing Yesterday For Me in Grand Jump, but that is the only manga she has done with Shueisha.

Kokou no Hito is more typical of Shueisha. It is a good manga, an enjoyable read, but I would not consider it great. It is not a series I would recommend to anyone new to seinen, who needs help finding new titles. Not before series like Mushishi, Ushijima-Kun, 20th Century Boys, Berserk, Town of Evening Calm, Shamo, Blame, Noramimi, or Blade of the Immortal. To much of Shueisha's seinen are like that: nice manga that are not quite great, not quite classic. Gantz, Zetman, Elfen Lied, Ugosui, Liar Game, and One Outs are all nice manga but flawed in some way.

Someone new to seinen would be advised to avoid reading a series because it is in the more familiar sounding Young Jump, or Ultra Jump, or Business Jump. If anyone wants some seinen read they are better off browsing a list of titles from Afternoon, Morning, Evening, Big Comic Spirits, IKKI, Manga Erotics F, or Comic Beam. And I do confess to a huge Kodansha bias. Afternoon is my favorite magazine.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Fair enough. Though I think your advice would be more valid if it wasn't aimed mostly at the online community that generally reads for free and can easily pick and choose different series from different magazines. If you live in Japan and can only afford one magazine to buy each week, your advice is quite valuable.

Negative Syndicate

Murata Yuusuke (illustrator of Eyeshield 21) going to serialize his new work on upcoming Miracle Jump based on the magical girl picture which he uploaded before. It is uncofirmed whether it'll be a series or an one shot.

I think Murata is planning to move from shonen magazine to seinen magazine.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Even if it is a serial the door would be open for a second series in another magazine. He would only need to submit 6 chapters a year to Miracle Jump.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Hopefully he does a series in Jump X, a very nice looking magazine that I wish drew more interest from translators.

kewl0210

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would disagree that Kokou no Hito isn't great. It's just more niche, the subjects that it touches on it does phenomenally.
Plenty of the manga in Young Jump sell really well. Whether or not somethings "inferior" has to do with your tastes.
Gantz, Tough, Liar Game, Rozen Maiden, Zetman, Kingdom, Usogui, Addicted to Curry, all sell well. Probably some more I can't think of.
Though obviously there are plenty of other magazines out there and what's good varies based on time and magazine.
As a whole, the magazine Young Jump sells really well, and I'm pretty sure the most of any seinen magazine.

And I think that manga looks more like Obata's artwork than Sakamoto's.

Last edited:

Galactic Tomahawk

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wouldn't say avoid Shueisha, but I do think think they have a more shallow view of Seinen than Kodansha or Shogakukan and tend to focus more on the action/fanservice side of things in general.

Kind of like the difference between "Mature" videogames or R-rated movies that just use the label to get attention, and ones that actually cover mature subject matter.

There are always exceptions and I wouldn't consider one inherently superior to the other, but I think it's definitely a difference worth considering.

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I find that the general quality of Young Jump is below that of the competition. The quality of art, writing, wiliness to take risks, and amount of artistic freedom evident in their manga is below that of their closest competitors. From the perspective of someone who primarily reads seinen I would steer new fans towards the 1 Day magazines or Big Comic line rather than Young Jump. I find Young Jump to be very middle of the road, conservative fare in comparison.

Kodansha's Young Magazine is the top selling seinen magazine. Young Jump is currently number two, it is very close though. They have switched positions several times over the years. Young Magazine has a bit more history, having been home to Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Chobits, 3x3 Eyes, and Ping Pong Club. Like Weekly and Monthly Shounen Magazine, Young Magazine has always been a bit neglected online, lowering it's stature among international fans.

Asgaroth

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I also agree with all of you. Besides Gantz (which got worser with the time) and Liar Game, the other series are quite medicore or bad.

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
As far as WYJ titles go my favorite is Real, by a fairly wide margin.

TXC

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
As far as WYJ titles go my favorite is Real, by a fairly wide margin.
Same here Inoue Takehiko is my fav artist(I even own the volumes (english ones)) besides real, Zetman for the art is great as well.

Stoneface13

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Tell me please, where you can see the ratings?
On the official website can not understand (((

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I notice nobody is Editing Nejimaki Kagyu why is that? I have raws.

Status
Not open for further replies.