Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
After finishing the Enrollment Arc, I'm taking a short break from Mahouka to read To Aru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku, a one volume light novel. To Aru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku might be better as "The Princess and the Pilot", the official English translation for the 2011 anime film adaption.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Since I'm weak, I started Real. It will be really hard to wait for the new volumes of this one.
And by chance, I borrowed the first title of Mitsurou Kubo (the author of Again!) from the library. It's called Shinjuku Fever in French (3.3.7 Byooshi!! was hardly translatable). You recognize her style. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece but there are some funny moments.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I started reading Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san the other day after k-dom bumped the thread for it. It is hilarious.
You should watch the anime as well. They're both equally hilarious. :XD

I first started off by watching the anime, but I wanted more so I began to read the manga too.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
After having it sit around my place for about a year, I finally read not simple by Natsume Ono. Holy crap it was fantastic. First time I've read anything by the author but I definitely want to read more. Though Jesus was the story depressing on so many levels, yet for some reason after finishing it I felt slightly uplifted. Probably the way the actual final chapter shows what can probably be considered the happiest moment of the main character's life. If you haven't, definitely give it a read. It's only a single volume.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just finished Helter Skelter. I don't read much Josei, but I quite enjoyed this.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Finished the yaoi manga Karusu ni Diamond, which was a good one. The afterword provides a good description of the stories. The title story was great while the final story had incredible suspense with the stalker. Its always nice seeing such good happy stories of two in love in the countryside just enjoying life to the fullest in a peaceful and simple way.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I was marathoning Tomie before realizing that it wasn't a very good idea on Christmas night. :XD

I've started reading Innocent by Sakamoto Shinichi after seeing the gorgeous colour page in the colour page thread.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I catched up Gin no Saji yesterday. I was expecting something really good already, since I watched the anime and liked very much, but read all this is considerably better. An excellent comedy, with, beisdes this, good and real explanations about farming, something that many may consider a bit boring, but Hiromu Arakawa explain so well that we learn and enjoy at the same time. Also, the characters are magnificent, all of them, specially Mikage, my favorite. *-*
It will be tough wait every week for new chapter.

To substitute Gin no Saji I'm going to start today Azumanga Daioh, I'm expecting great things of this manga, same author of Yotsuba&, it must be good. XD
Also, I started yesterday Slam Dunk, no comments and presentations about this. I feel heretic for not have read it until now. :P
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Expect quite a lot of pauses in Silver Spoon. That say I don't feel it's hard to wait for this serie. I like it a lot but it's not like I'm dying to know what happens next.

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 PM ----------

As for me I'm reading a French only serie calls Iliad about the mystery of the Atlantid. Not a manga of the century but quite entertaining. I will also restart Princess Jellyfish since 10 volumes have been translated now.
And I think I already talk about it but webcomic readers (and others) shall try The Gamer. I'm pretty sure it is the next Tower of God here.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I've been following The Gamer for a while. I doubt it has similar vibe with Tower Of God though, at least not yet. The setting seems more.. I don't know, jovial? more of a lighthearted humor with action, still does not invalidate the fact that it is an interesting read so far.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I was more speaking in term of popularity with the mangahelpers members.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Started reading Ore Monogatari!!. I'm really loving it so far. One of the most enjoyable Shoujo I have encountered.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I was more speaking in term of popularity with the mangahelpers members.
I understood that's what were you trying to imply, just wanted to clear possible misunderstanding if others expecting it to be the same with ToG.




Yesterday while waiting for New Year, I was reading Manga of the Dead, a collection of Zombie related one-shots by famous authors such as : Hiroe Rei (Black Lagoon), Samura Hiroaki (Blade of the Immortal) and Matsumoto Jiro (Freesia)
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Expect quite a lot of pauses in Silver Spoon. That say I don't feel it's hard to wait for this serie. I like it a lot but it's not like I'm dying to know what happens next.
Yeah, I know about the pauses, I noticed along the chapters. I think that it is for research purposes.
What I meant with "tough to wait weekly" was that it is a very refreshing series to read weekly and I'm looking forward to it. Not about the story itself.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I haven't started a new manga in a long time, but I did finish reading the light novel Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku (Remembrance for a Certain Pilot, or The Princess and the Pilot). A one volume light novel, and something of an old fashioned adventure-romance. A lovely story about social barriers, class structure, prejudice, and forbidden love, Hikuushi-Tsuioku was quite enjoyable. Both of the leads were interesting, complex characters. Since finishing, I have resumed reading Mahouka, a series I could not recommend more. After the Nine Schools Competition (volumes 3 and 4) and maybe the Summer Holiday Chapter (volume 5), I'll take another short break and read the first volume of Tokyo Ravens. I already watch the anime, and have little doubt I will like the novels.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah, I know about the pauses, I noticed along the chapters. I think that it is for research purposes.
What I meant with "tough to wait weekly" was that it is a very refreshing series to read weekly and I'm looking forward to it. Not about the story itself.
From what I understood it's more linked to Sunday policy. They don't cancel series but as a result there are breaks every week. And naturally popular series tends to have more

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Started reading Ore Monogatari!!. I'm really loving it so far. One of the most enjoyable Shoujo I have encountered.
Indeed unfortunatly not translated anymore :-(
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Indeed unfortunatly not translated anymore :-(
It looks like 2 new chapters got released last week. That's why I started reading. I'm hoping they keep them coming.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
From what I understood it's more linked to Sunday policy. They don't cancel series but as a result there are breaks every week. And naturally popular series tends to have more
Really? Magi and Kenichi have pauses hardly ever, I think it is not the case. However, it is subject for another thread. XD

Next in my list to read is Tower of God, I heard good things about that one, and, finally, Gintama. Probably next week or so. I'm enjoying my vacation of the best way.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Really? Magi and Kenichi have pauses hardly ever, I think it is not the case. However, it is subject for another thread. XD
Gin no Saji does not necessarily take more breaks because of Sunday policy. Serializing the follow up to Hagaren was a coup for Shogakukan. Arakawa probably received a very favorable contract to lure her away from Square/Enix. Writing a weekly manga is brutal. The deadlines are nightmarish. She has never serialized a weekly manga before. Hagaren and Juushin Enbu were both monthlies. There is a good chance that Sunday is contractually obligated to allow her to take a certain number of issues off every year. That is something that could have been negotiated when she moved to Sunday. Sunday does typically have at least one or two series absent per issue. This may allow them a little extra room, to serialize one or two more series at a time. I would not assume that is the reason, or the sole reason, for having absent series every week. Some mangaka probably negotiate time off, particularly mangaka lured away from other publishers. Arata Kangatari also takes frequent breaks, similar to Gin no Saji. Like Arakawa, Arata mangaka Watase Yuu was a well known mangaka before she came to Sunday. She wrote many famous shoujo manga, like Fushigi Yuugi and Absolute Boyfriend. She also would have had leverage to negotiate time off. Maybe not as much as Arakawa, but she would have still had room to negotiate.

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

Kodansha's seinen magazine, Evening, is a better example of a magazine that really does use breaks to increase the number of titles serialized. Evening is published bi-weekly, two issues a month. Only five manga are serialized in every issue, the rest are published monthly. Series alternate issues. Some are in the first issue of the month, others in the second. Sunday only has a few series off per issue, usually never more than four, allowing only a limited number of extra series per week. Most of Evenings manga take one issue (out of two) off per month, allowing them to near double the number of series published.
 
Top