Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,250
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Reading:

20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa

Plan to Read Next:

Monster by Naoki Urasawa
Neon Genesis Evangelion by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto
Hi no Tori (Phoenix) by Osamu Tezuka
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hi no Tori (Phoenix) by Osamu Tezuka
Is this manga available in your country or did you find it online? I'm trying to find the volumes for years now, unsuccessfully!
I tried to buy the Viz version too but a lot of volumes came out of print, and sadly it was never released in my country.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I read the first volume of Terra Formars, and I found it really entertaining.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
A question for those of you that are well-versed in Fate/Stay Night and the Nasuverse: I've been meaning to read Fate/Stay Night for a while now. At first I thought about watching the anime but everyone tells me to stay the hell away from it, however I don't really fancy playing the VN as I take ages reading stuff on the computer (it took me a long, long time to finish Tsukihime). Which of the many manga adaptations is the one I should read if I want to really get the Fate/Stay Night experience?
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just read 'Love My Life'. My first yuri manga. It was good. Short and sweet. A good story about a lesbian relationship.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
EDIT: I bought the first volume of Knights of Sidonia recently released by Vertical Inc. I loved 'Biomega', so I was pretty excited for this, but the first volume was kind of lackluster and the art inferior IMO. Here's hoping things pick up in the next volume.
From what I've heard (still haven't read it myself) the art may be a little simple compared to Nihei's other works. In exchange, it tries to tie plot points together and explores the universe he created a bit more.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I've read what has been translated of My Wife Is Wagatsuma-san, a shounen from magazine special which was recently transferred in the main magazine. I must admit it is pretty funny. Especially the brigad DX characters. The references and 4th wall break jokes are also quite original.
 

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
31,967
Reaction score
23,756
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
At the moment I'm still trying to finish Detective Conan.
On the waiting list are:
Gintama
Cage of Eden
Freezing
Takamagahara
Feng Shen Ji
Hungry Joker
Ubel Blatt
Zettai Karen Children
Gamaran
Needless
I’ll Make You into an Otaku, so Make Me into a Riajuu!
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Honestly I wouldn't start Cage of Eden, unless you want to be disappointed.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I'm starting Nobunaga no Chef - I think the setting is pretty similar to Jin, but this time it's about cooking. From the first couple chapters, I think it's pretty good, enjoying the story so far. I might want to catch up with Akame ga Kiru later.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Indeed Nobunaga is similar to Jin. I know this period of Japan's history a bit less though.
Speaking of same topic mangas, hochizora no karasu first chapter was translated recently. Hikaru no go comes immediatly in mind when speaking of manga and go :-)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Today I started Hotarubi no Mori e, a collection of four thematically linked short stories by Natsume Yuujinchou mangaka Midorikawa Yuki. Each story represents a season; spring, summer, autumn, and winter. The title story was made into a wonderful short movie in 2011, by the director of DRRR.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just read 'I Kill Giants'. Not technically what you would call a "manga" since it is by a western writer and western artist, but it did win the 5th International Manga Award and was both previewed in IKKI Magazine and printed in its entirety in Japanese by Shogakukan. I thought it was really good. I'm glad I read it.

Next I am going to try 'Psyren'. Normally I don't like to try canceled series, but I've heard some good things about it and I am in the mood for a fun, not too long Shonen.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Psyren was terrible, as generic as action manga get. It developed a strong following at MH, but don't confuse that with quality. I actually scanlated the first two chapters, before Binktopia picked up the series.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
That's too bad. Well, I already checked out the first 7 volumes from the library, so I'll at least give it a shot.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I just read Guns and Stamps, a funny parody of bureaucracy. The artwork is very cartoonish, not typical manga style art, with very detailed panels. A good, light read. I started Shino-chan Can't Say Her Own Name, about a girl with stutter entering high school, by the mangaka of Aku no Hana.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
In the last one I read, the most intringuing was probably the great escape by Hideo Azuma. An autobiography about the days he stopped writing and became homeless. There is an another side that Bakuman in the job of mangaka.
In the old series, I just finished Ranma. I had an old souvenir of the anime. Takahashi humor is funny but honnestly after sometime it became a bit to repetitive. That's the same problem I have with her current serie Rinne. On another hand, I have started Noritara king of trouble. A typical fighting shounen. But ironicaly its old style make it really original and refreshing and it's a really funny read.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
In the last one I read, the most intringuing was probably the great escape by Hideo Azuma. An autobiography about the days he stopped writing and became homeless. There is an another side that Bakuman in the job of mangaka.
I have the Fanfare/Ponent Mon version of this published in English as 'Disappearance Diary'. I found it to be a really good read. It surprised me. I just bought it on a whim since it was just a single volume and it ended up being a really interesting look into this guy's life with some cool manga industry details.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I am now caught up with Shino-chan Can't Say Her Own Name, a wonderful manga. A few chapters still are not scanlated, a final opinion is not possible until the volume is complete. What I have read has been very good, very real to life, and psychologically realistic. I'm going to reread FMA next, it's been a very long time since I last read it. I've never read it as a completed series, I'm curious how it reads without having to wait a month between chapters. Easily my favorite manga ever, I'm looking forward to revisiting it.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
'Psyren' didn't work out. 3 volumes in and it didn't distinguish itself in any way. No worries though. I put that down and picked up 'Mobile Suit Gundam:The Origin', which I am enjoying quite a bit so far.
 
Top