Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just read the first volume of 'Sunny' and really enjoyed it. I love Taiyo Matsumoto's art. The color pages were beautiful. Viz released it in a really nice hardcover too. Can't wait for volume 2 in November.

I've also been reading 'Kingdom'. I was a little bored at first, but I'm really glad I stuck with it because it has been pretty entertaining.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I've started reading Magi (scav's rec), and I'm reading Aku no Hana (Niichan's rec) from the point where I last saw in the anime.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Caught up Watamote, caught up Vagabond, caught up Vinland Saga, catching up on Shamo. Will next catch up on I am a Hero, and then Nisekoi after that.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I will have to reread Arakawa now that a new team revived it. Also planning to read 2001 night stories a classic scifi and Eden since the common reading project give me the occasion to dig it out of my wish list where it has been forever.

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

I just read the first volume of
I've also been reading [URL="http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=14444"]'Kingdom'
. I was a little bored at first, but I'm really glad I stuck with it because it has been pretty entertaining.
Given the fast pace of the manga I didn't have time to get bored. I'm glad you give it more time to enjoy it.
 
Last edited:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Started Destroy and Revolution and Nanika Mochigatte Masu ka. Both similiar setting-wise, though with very different execution. As I'm more a Kitoh fan I really enjoy what he's doing. Especially because of the sharp thoughts portrayed in it. Which is kinda vague in Destroy and Revolution. I guess it really isn't about justice as the MC said, but still, some motives are a little questionable. Very interesting, though.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Chinatsu voice is not really finished. Which is sad cause it was good
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I also started the light novel Haganai
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just started reading Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru on barbapapa's recommendation. It's pretty funny and I really like the main character.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I started reading Nana to Kaoru. This series has caught my attention several times over the years, but it was always low priority because I just assumed it was mostly ecchi over substance. It's offering me much more than I thought though. Nana and Kaoru have a well done relationship that takes an unconventional path. I also find the psychological aspects of the S&M quite interesting and entertaining. The art is good too.
This manga is not for everyone, I see it as an entertainment manga, the conflicts, and "love" between the characters make it a fun ride, the humor is kind of good. It might appear as if it has something more to it, but I think the please of reading it is for the lulz more than any kind of substance.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
This manga is not for everyone, I see it as an entertainment manga, the conflicts, and "love" between the characters make it a fun ride, the humor is kind of good. It might appear as if it has something more to it, but I think the please of reading it is for the lulz more than any kind of substance.
I have to disagree. Nana and Kaoru's relationship and bond built through S&M has plenty of substance. Their relationship is genuine. And if you were paying attention, you would be able to appreciate how psychological it can get during intense S&M sessions. If you can't see that there is more to it than "lulz", I wonder if you even really read it at all or if you were just distracted by the boobies.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I started Chichikogusa, a story about a traveling medicine seller and his son. Chapter one was very promising, should be a good series.
 

BulaNe

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
so, after probably a year I've actually picked another series and it *cough* totally didn't have anything to do with annual exams procrastination or anything *cough*

first I picked and caught up with Fairy Tail since it is so popular... and oh my god, what a fun-servicing manga it is :D and I gotta say, Mashima really likes time ultimatums.

second was Dragon Ball, because... well one has to read it eventually, right? :) even tho I had the feeling it was over the top pretty much since ch. ~240, I still stormed through it in like 3 days. No point in judging an almost 30-year-old series I guess, it certainly has it's charm to it.

I haven't picked anything yet, but as a fan of Urasawa I'll probably give Billy Bat a shot (finally).
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Caught up with Noragami since it's getting an anime and I was a fan of Alive: The Final Evolution, but well...it kinda sucks. Before the manga-ka was only in charge of the art, which is still good....the rest just doesn't click with me. None of it really.

Also read Aku no Hana, which was good. Quite disturbing at times, but interesting, especially towards the end. What sick characters.

And Gyo, a really bizarre horror by Junji Ito. The ending was lame.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nii

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I started Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, as part of the collective reading, it is quite magical, a must read for all.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I finished Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest and Yagyou Hijouken SAMON.

I started reading Sinbad no Bouken, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and Akametsu.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Caught up with Noragami since it's getting an anime and I was a fan of Alive: The Final Evolution, but well...it kinda sucks. Before the manga-ka was only in charge of the art, which is still good....the rest just doesn't click with me. None of it really.
Oh an Alive fan, how rare to find one! :zomg A shame to hear that the he's not that good with the story, his improvement in art in "The Final Evolution" was amazing. I wish the author of Alive wouldn't have died =/ Him finishing the manga on his deathbed was such a honorable and touching feat.
 

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
I was reading Fairy Tail but I dropped it after some more than 100 chapters. Being honest, it lacks of substance to me. I never believed the sense of belonging of the characters to their guild. Ultimately because I never knew what was the purpose of the guild. It was kind of fun, because I'm reading Yohohama Kaidashi Kikou as part of the collective reading, and it was like reading a really high quality manga to follow with something that never caught me. I finished Nausicaä and now I'm reading Shuna no Tabi from the great Miyazaki. Planning on read Sabaku no Tami and Otto Carius from the same author, and Pluto by Urasawa Naoki.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I recently finished some of Nihei's works like BLAME!, NOiSE, BLAME! Gakuen, and So On, and Abara. I liked BLAME! and a few of the stories from BLAME! Gakuen the best. NOiSE and Abara weren't anything special.

I also read the first chapter of Ano Ko no Ie. Can't really judge it right now, but it seems to be going in a somewhat dark direction in contrast to its cutesy art.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,124
Reaction score
20,250
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
started reading Hiromu Arakawa's Silver Spoon and Hitoshi Ashinano's Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

 
Top