Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I'm currently in a mission to catch up with Deadman Wonderland. A good start at first, but I think I haven't become a fan of this manga yet. The most recent Manga I've read is Kamisama no Iutoori II, which is newly serialized in Weekly Shounen Magazine. I liked the first installation very much, I hope this new story would fill up the plot holes and anything unexplained in the first part.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I started Kabu no Isaki, which has been on my reading list since I finished YKK like 3 years ago. It's not quite as charming as YKK, but it is still pretty good.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I'm currently in a mission to catch up with Deadman Wonderland. A good start at first, but I think I haven't become a fan of this manga yet. The most recent Manga I've read is Kamisama no Iutoori II, which is newly serialized in Weekly Shounen Magazine. I liked the first installation very much, I hope this new story would fill up the plot holes and anything unexplained in the first part.
Deadman Wonderland had a great start for me, though as it progressed I found it a bit predictable, Or it just shifted into a different path for me somewhere in the 30s and 40s chapters. It can have a very naive setting when you look at it now, but at the time it was quite interesting and the art and the story blended nicely. All in all, I would describe it as a fun manga.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I ended my Nodame Cantabile marathon. This is certainly a shoujo must read (Doraku if you are still looking for some, you should definitively try this one). The character are crazy just how I like them and since half of the story takes place in Paris, it was fun to read with French eyes too.
I'm also reading Moonlight Arc. It's by the mangaka of Ushio and Tora. The plot is not the most solid one but the characters are consistently arguing (this seems to be a Fujita writing trait) and the crazy situations make the reading really fun.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've stopped reading new manga, and paired my list down to the essentials:I fell behind on most of my reading, except for One Piece and Shingeki, during the fall. I plan catching up with Nisekoi, Assassination Classroom, and REAL over the next few weeks. I also will continue reading Moteki, Umibe no Onnanoko, Vagabond, and Bouken Erekitetou when (if?) new chapters are scanlated. I speed read Bleach and Naruto after One Piece comes out. If it were not for the fact that they come out on the same day and same site as OP, I would have dropped both already. I have no plans on starting anything else. I would rather start new anime than manga right now.
 
Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I ended my Nodame Cantabile marathon. This is certainly a shoujo must read (Doraku if you are still looking for some, you should definitively try this one). The character are crazy just how I like them and since half of the story takes place in Paris, it was fun to read with French eyes too.
I'm also reading Moonlight Arc. It's by the mangaka of Ushio and Tora. The plot is not the most solid one but the characters are consistently arguing (this seems to be a Fujita writing trait) and the crazy situations make the reading really fun.
If you also watched the anime, which one do you prefer? The manga was good but the anime is actually brilliant for me.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm not really interested in adaptation in anime of manga that I have read, so I don't think I will watch it. But I searched the musics to hear them while reading at the same time :-)
 
Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm not really interested in adaptation in anime of manga that I have read, so I don't think I will watch it. But I searched the musics to hear them while reading at the same time :-)
Well, i can not force you of course but i can give my rec. I think Nodame is one of the few anime that accomplished to be better than its source material, in this case the manga, for mainly 3 reasons. First of all, the art in the anime is so much better. I know that the art is not the priority for most people when reading Shoujo/Josei but in this case, the difference is huge. Second, the jokes and gags are delivered so much better in my opinion. The manga made me smirk sometimes, the anime made me break out in laughter. Third and the most important, the music is played by professionals who give one of the best interpretations i heard of the pieces in the manga/anime. I am a huge classical music fan, if the music were not good, i would have immediately dropped it. Here is a good example.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I finished reading Coo's World. I thought I would like it more, but I just couldn't connect with it. The art was good though.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Second, the jokes and gags are delivered so much better in my opinion.
Ayako Kawasumi as Nodame made it one of the most enjoyable Anime I've ever seen, she's so perfect in that role and her voice. :zomg Definitely worth watching the adaption for the reasons named by MiyamotoMusashi.
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well i let people who have not seen the anime watch it. Personally I liked the manga art a lot but some may find it to simple.
But I agree that a good music is necessary for such adaptation. I would never recommend Beck anime for that reason.
 
Last edited:

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
Well, i can not force you of course but i can give my rec. I think Nodame is one of the few anime that accomplished to be better than its source material, in this case the manga, for mainly 3 reasons. First of all, the art in the anime is so much better. I know that the art is not the priority for most people when reading Shoujo/Josei but in this case, the difference is huge. Second, the jokes and gags are delivered so much better in my opinion. The manga made me smirk sometimes, the anime made me break out in laughter. Third and the most important, the music is played by professionals who give one of the best interpretations i heard of the pieces in the manga/anime. I am a huge classical music fan, if the music were not good, i would have immediately dropped it. Here is a good example.
I suppose you first read the manga,... did you?
 

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 5, 2012
Messages
3,706
Reaction score
2,315
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I suppose you first read the manga,... did you?
Not completely since the anime was released before the manga finished but i read all the scenes at least one time before they were animated? Why are you asking?
 

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
Not completely since the anime was released before the manga finished but i read all the scenes at least one time before they were animated? Why are you asking?
My experience is that when I first read the written text, later I usually find the film not so good as the writen story. So, if you first read and later you watched the anime, I will think that that anime should be really good. I wouldn't be so sure if you first watched the anime.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
In the end it all depends on the state of the manga and the frequncy of chapter releases, if it's finished, the pacing can do wonders, e.g. Bleach's last arc was the best animated one; if it's not a long running series makes the anime suffer more often than not. Fairy Tail's first two years were great, the rest was riddled with fillers, which to me are better than looking at stills every couple of seconds, showing every single character's face when something shocking happens. If a show is done in one/two cour segments with a good year or half in between, the animated version[director] can choose which parts to show, where to put emphasis on. A good cast of seiyu can do wonders too.

Personally in most cases I won't touch the original version, if I finished the anime first, just read from that point on where it ended, if it's a seasonal show. Long running series with pacing problems should always be read [too] though.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I started reading Boys on the Run. I really like 'I Am a Hero' by the same mangaka, and I've heard lots of good things about it, so I decided to try it out. It's got really interesting characters and interactions. The art isn't quite as good as 'I Am a Hero', but it is plenty acceptable.

EDIT: I bought the first volume of Knights of Sidonia recently released by Vertical Inc. I loved 'Biomega', so I was pretty excited for this, but the first volume was kind of lackluster and the art inferior IMO. Here's hoping things pick up in the next volume.

EDIT2: I started reading Magi-The Labyrinth of Magic. I've heard tons of good things about it, and though it hasn't lived up to the hype so far, it is starting to pick up a bit.
 
Last edited:

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
302
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. Vinland Saga
2. World Embryo
3. Berserk
4. Vagabond (well no Edited Mangas anymore so haven't in a while)
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I started reading Ran to Haiiro no Sekai and it's really great. I love the art and characters and it's just all around my type of manga.

EDIT: I also started reading Gisele Alain. It's got nice artwork that reminds me a bit of Mori Koaru's art and a decent slice-of-life type story that is pretty enjoyable.

EDIT2: Just read this one shot called Koe no Kitachi. From what I understand, it was very controversial and almost went unpublished because of the subject matter. It is about bullying and the cruelty showcased is very real and kind of disturbing. But it is a powerful message. I bet some kids read this and decided to be a little nicer to their classmates afterward. It really drives home the message of "whoa, so this is how this person felt when I was picking on them".
 
Last edited:

Shinra Tensei

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Hello guys, I'm a new member
any good manga to read !!
psychological ???
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I tried out the first chapter of 'Sakamoto desu ga?' after seeing some people talk about it on Twitter. It's hard to judge by just one chapter, but it seems to have a similar brand of comedy to fellow Fellows!/Harta manga, 'Hinamatsuri', which I dropped, not because it wasn't good, but because of the clunky translation.
 
Top