Discussion - What did Erwin mean? (ch 69 spoilers) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What did Erwin mean? (ch 69 spoilers)

riccaXX

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

Erwin's thought on what happened make it seem like he was the one who killed Rod and not Historia. If he was thinking about the goverment, he would have thought them, and if he thought SL stopped the king, it would have been we.

I know someone else said that things in this chapter supported the theory it was all staged, but the question is how they did it.

Historia says in the panel above she wants them to believe she did it, which doesn't prove she actually did kill Rod, and together with Erwin's own thoughts it seems like he did it. Even if he just have one arm (but we have seen him do amazing things with just one arm so nothing to question there really).

I would say it makes sense. The neck part flying in directly over the crowd doesn't make sense, but this does. Maybe the image of Historia cutting Rod's neck was just her imagining she did it while she cut a chunk of the titan right above the crowd.
So even if someone else found the neck part and finished him off, it would still seem like Historia did it. So maybe Erwin was the one who found it? (I know it didn't seem like he was in the actual fight, but who knows and his thought on it seems to support the theory at least).

ArtIristic

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I think what Erwin meant was the he came up with the strategy, and not necessarily the finishing blow.
It's a lot easier to say the one person who conveniently landed the killing blow is the sole hero, even though the hero themselves couldn't have pulled it off without others support.

Guys like Pixis for example was the hero who saved Throst through his quick wit, lack of conscience and his morale boost, but Eren was the one called hero for it all.

Eren doesn't look like the guy who could come up with a feasible strategy to even defeat a group of bloodthirsty killer rabbits without his first thought being "I'll just use my fists."

Just my take on Erwin's thoughts.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Normally they do an awesome job there, but I have to disagree with the translation here. Looking back at the raws, the line appears to have been 「(まさか本当に仕留めてしまうとは….)」, which I'd have translated as "Who would have thought the actual one to bring him down would be..."

Last edited:

riccaXX

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Normally they do an awesome job there, but I have to disagree with the translation here. Looking back at the raws, the line appears to have been 「(まさか本当に仕留めてしまうとは….)」, which I'd have translated as "Who would have thought the actual one to bring him down would be..."
That's too bad, not that I need it to be Erwin, it would just have been better if it was someone else who actually found Rod. We wouldn't even need to know who it was, just knowing it was meant to look like Historia did it but she didn't actually kill him would have been enough.

That chapter was just so plain simple and bad so I wished for just one twist.. Even Erwin's plan with the open mouth seemed stupid, so it made Erwin (and everyone else, including the civilians) seem stupid in this chapter.
The titan dragged his face against the ground so his mouth should probably have been full with dirt and stones, so Erwin's plan shouldn't even have worked. (On the pros side, the eyes and the mouth he drew on the titan picture were really cute)

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Things are never this easy in SnK, but seems like Historia found her fairy godmother who sprinkled some awesomeness on her.. And that awesomeness took a bit from everyone else so they became stupid and less skilled. I don't know what Isayama was thinking.. The story isn't even about Historia. I hope this doesn't become a thing so we will see Connie and Sasha be super awesome next and Eren will just be used as a convenient titan shifter.

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Not saying that you are wrong Kannazuki, I will just add links to two other translations I found. I don't know what they're translated from but maybe it's the same raws

Mangapark - ch 69
Mangafox - ch 69

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sorry, I know you'd prefer the chapter to be different, but the only other way I'd read that part (assuming the Japanese text is the same as above) is that he's surprised the titan was defeated at all (i.e. the "passive voice," grammatically. There is no pronoun used in that sentence whatsoever. Under that reading, the use of 'shimau' (しまう) after the verb puts the emphasis on the titan being destroyed, not on who did it.

Last edited:

riccaXX

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Sorry, I know you'd prefer the chapter to be different, but the only other way I'd read that part (assuming the Japanese text is the same as above) is that he's surprised the titan was defeated at all (i.e. the "passive voice," grammatically. There is no pronoun used in that sentence whatsoever. Under that reading, the use of 'shimau' (しまう) after the verb puts the emphasis on the titan being destroyed, not on who did it.
Maybe he was surprised it was defeated at all with his not-so-brilliant plan? He must be on really strong painkillers after the torture.. (j/k)
Thanks anyway :) Let's hope future chapters won't repeat these mistakes