Discussion - What do you think of Berserk then and now? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What do you think of Berserk then and now?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Then: The Golden Arc, with all the violence that went along with it.

Now: The current journey Guts is on to try to bring Casca to safety and bring her memory back.

I've heard a lot about readers who don't like the current direction of Berserk, that loved what it used to be. Personally, I actually like it better now, because it's just interesting to me to see how Guts work with other people, and it has more of a Final Fantasy feel to it due to the teamwork (especially concerning Schierke.)

However I can't deny that the Berserk of old used to be a lot more surprising.

What do you guys think?

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Well I enjoyed Berserk briefly, when the Godhand first appeared when all hell broke loose. But I'm not into manga like Berserk anyway, even though everyone sez it's the best manga "ev0r".
I was interested in how Guts & Casca grew to each other, but I cant believe there still isnt any progress in that at all.

JanneK

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Finland
I liked it better when Gutts was with the original Band of the hawk members. I miss them :(

So I really hope Caska will get her memory back, and that she'll be the woman she was before, a fighter!

EvilSniffles

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I liked the old for the down right craziness it had....now it has a battle wisdom added to it with some wtf, the reason being is that in the old version it was more cut throat, now its not that much cut throat. Guts seems to have a purpose to him, which I find to be nice. Before he didn't have much of a purpose except to gain coin.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I think the developments that happened in the story is natural and more interesting than before.
1) the old Band of the Hawk was driven by the dream of a selfish leader-Griffith- who kept piling the corpses of his comrades and enemies to become the king (Griffith's method of achieving his dream was inhuman even when he was still a human), the sad end of the Band was the result of following such leader
2)the development of events is also a natural result of the appearance of Femto. More powerful enemies (apostles) would require Gutts to have more strength, skills, and a more powerfull sowrd!

I really like the current developments. the most interesting change that happened is that Gutts once again has companions who he trusts and care about (It was the Band in the past and his company now) but this time, his fighting to finish off the apostles rather than for someone else's dream. the enemy this time is sooo powerful (whether it was the apostles or the kushan king and demon army) it makes you wonder how is he going to win!!! Puck and Isidoro are so funny especially when they both act stupid (a monkey and a chesnut) or they display a very surprised reaction. In the developments after Femto's appearance, we also got to know the back grounds of Gutts' companions and therefore sumpathise with them more than the members of the Band who we also liked but didn't know much about them. Also wonder what will happen to Gutts companions in thier journey.

EvilSniffles

Reaction score
Country
United States
sympathize*, and you are right, I forgot about the apostles. hmm odd I am in a nitpicking mood...not really good.

CanKaNoRey

Reaction score
I liked it better befor Guts' new group appaers. At the begining I almost hated Isidro and Farnese, they were really annoying. Now I think I got used to them and sometimes they are kinda funny. However, the worst thing is, that Guts doesn't seem like a maincharacter at the last few chapters.
It's just that he shows up when huge monsters appears.
Somebody: "What a fucking big monster! It will kill everyone!"
Guts: "Leave it to me."
Blood splattering...a few minutes later:
Somebody: "Have you finished?"
Guts: "...Yeah..."
Somebody: "Okay, see you later . I will call for you when the next monster appears."

I also miss Puck talking serious to Guts.

Uhm, well, it maybe not sound so but I still like Berserk ;)

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
^The same. I used to not like Isidro or Farnese. But as the story went by, I gradually got to liking them after their character developments.

The old Berserk was more violent and all, which was fine by me. It also had the Band of the Hawks, whom I adored. Their death just killed me over. XD

but I have to say that I'm glad that there's less 'rape' stuff and naked people. It's somewhat distracting. I also like the new group, and Gutts has finally become more human. XD Human, in a sense that he worked with other people this time, and not for himself.

I'm still hoping for more Casca interaction though.

And I really missed the Puck - Gutts interaction as well. The only thing I don't like now, is how Puck has gone down to a tiny humour relief. Which he was before, but he wa also mroe serious then. Now he's mre of like a side kick to Isidro, where I'd rather him be one to Gutts.

And I don't like how the manga-ka draws him now. T_______T

Hoefully, once they reach his homeland...

eQuek

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Gold Knight said:
Personally, I actually like it better now, because it's just interesting to me to see how Guts work with other people, and it has more of a Final Fantasy feel to it due to the teamwork (especially concerning Schierke.) 
Word

The old berserk with the band of the hawks was more... merry, happy and so on. It was hard to understand how Griffith became one of the god hands before Gutts left.
But I like the Berserk now more. Especially the Skull Knight (or King Gaiseric, whatever you want to call him) gives off this "mystery" feeling :)
I wouldn't mind seeing more of the current band of the hawks though.

JanneK

Reaction score
Country
Finland
I completely agree with everything DZ here said, though I still hate Isidro to death.

KaiserRyuujin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, if you look at things in the past it was along the same lines.

Someone: Oh god! Thousand soldiers!!!

Gutts: I'll tak'em... *charges off into battle*

Why? Because he's a lunatic! But, its also what makes Gutts pretty interesting and bad ass, seeking death in battle. Yet to find it.

Look at it when they got to Gutts past after his time with Gambino. When Griffith and the Hawks first saw him. Bazuso(I could of sworn it was Pazuso or something eh) and he was taking out person after person. "What a monster!?" they said, and Gutts just walks up and takes him on. He still has the same take anything on wants to fight the strongest S.O.B attitude.

Anyway

Between now and then, I dont like one anymore then the other. They are both great, as it is one whole story. I too liked the band of the hawks, but the story was needing for a turn, because now all the monstrous Demons started arising. The Haws well those Hawks were ment to combat Humans, it was noticable during the Eclipse as none of them could fight the way Gutts did, their time was unfortunately up. After the eclipse we did get to see Gutts go solo, it was cool too. Seeing him use children as bait to lure appostle fairies and the such.

Still to now I have been enthralled with the story, its the one fantasy story of this sort thats held my interest. Things like Lord of the Rings fantasy type....eh not so interesting.

Also another thing with now, is the artwork. Particulary on Gutts, we have some more definition in his face structure then we did before. At least to me I noticed a change in appearance. Maybe Im mistaken. Also with Griffith when he made his return, his hair seemed curly locks and more feminin then before, again maybe just me.

Its interesting to find out about these new characters. I dont see it exactly taking away from anything else. I am also quite interested now from reading the earlier chapters and with the time to bring Casca out of her state she's in, I am wondering what the chemistry is going to be like between her and Gutts. Been really hard to figure since some of the earlier incidents that took place before Farness and Serpico came along.

Anyway, both portions of this story have been great, fun and interesting, psychotic madness that you couldnt just turn away from. :amuse

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
+Ki for that last post, KaiserRyuujin. I pretty much agree with everything you said ( except I am also interested in Lord of the Rings type of fantasy stories, but that's besides the point ;) )

KaiserRyuujin said:
Also another thing with now, is the artwork. Particulary on Gutts, we have some more definition in his face structure then we did before. At least to me I noticed a change in appearance. Maybe Im mistaken. Also with Griffith when he made his return, his hair seemed curly locks and more feminin then before, again maybe just me.
I think the manga-ka's art has gotten sooo much better, although I don't like that he's turning Guts' Berserker Armor into something similar to Batman right now. But aside from that, I think Guts is a lot better looking than he used to be early in the series (the art style was a reason that I didn't quite like the story right away, now it's a reason I keep reading - funny eh!) The landscapes and architecture are also much improved as well. He's mastered the art of perspective ( as you can see with a ballroom in a recent chapter ). And his monsters never stop being entertaining XD

Its interesting to find out about these new characters. I dont see it exactly taking away from anything else.
Agreed, and I like that the manga-ka tried to make the new characters as different from the old characters in Guts' band as possible. They're all pretty complex characters. And actually I don't even think we've scratched the surface on some of them ( Isidro for example, he came out of nowhere. What happened to his parents? )

Anyway, both portions of this story have been great, fun and interesting, psychotic madness that you couldnt just turn away from. :amuse
I must admit Berserk is an incredibly appropriate name for this series, that's for sure. ( I never thought I'd find a manga about a berserker interesting, but I was certainly wrong. )

KaiserRyuujin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gold Knight said:
+Ki for that last post, KaiserRyuujin. I pretty much agree with everything you said ( except I am also interested in Lord of the Rings type of fantasy stories, but that's besides the point ;) )
Thank you very much Gold Knight for the +ki. Heh heh I dont expect many to agree with everything, heh I am as apparently stated by others a "bitter" individual :p

I think the manga-ka's art has gotten sooo much better, although I don't like that he's turning Guts' Berserker Armor into something similar to Batman right now. But aside from that, I think Guts is a lot better looking than he used to be early in the series (the art style was a reason that I didn't quite like the story right away, now it's a reason I keep reading - funny eh!) The landscapes and architecture are also much improved as well. He's mastered the art of perspective ( as you can see with a ballroom in a recent chapter ). And his monsters never stop being entertaining XD
Yup it has and, I never really looked at it as being similar to much of anything. Because well...the armor has a life of its own and seems to leech over him when his mood shifts. I dont ever recal Batman having that Heh heh. I think it was good that Miura drew Gutts from the start as a child and then make him progress with age. His landscapes and perspectives have gotten better, that is very true and he gives quite the life to everything in the scene. What I suddenly thought after talking about Gutts and Griffith having these different looks. It kind of coincided with both of them becoming or attaining something that will help them, enhance their further abilities. Gutts after the armor his facial structure did change and just the over all style of him. You could say the hair too, but thats very minor to how a person looks. Then with Griffith after the second Eclipse at that tower, and he I believe used Gutts and Casca's child to be reborn in that sence he had his appearance change. I dont know, maybe a bit to far out there or way off who knows. *shrugs*

Agreed, and I like that the manga-ka tried to make the new characters as different from the old characters in Guts' band as possible. They're all pretty complex characters. And actually I don't even think we've scratched the surface on some of them ( Isidro for example, he came out of nowhere. What happened to his parents? )
Also agreed, Gutts has companions but yeah they are far apart from the Band. I am wondering if Rickert himself will ever join with Gutts after some hard thinking of the whole situation. He was emotional at the start there after hearing about the Eclipse, so I am wondering if he will join or just stay with Erica waiting for Gutts to return to touch up his sword. But thats true, he did come out the blue for Isidro. What was kind of fun to see was someone from the past (forget his name) but recognized Gutts as "The Hundred Man Slayer" being part of the Hawks formerly. Kind of a nice touch to have that nostalgic moment.

I must admit Berserk is an incredibly appropriate name for this series, that's for sure. ( I never thought I'd find a manga about a berserker interesting, but I was certainly wrong. )
Heh heh yeah, it is an interesting thing, to be into a manga for a main character who is quite essentially a tweaker with a big mo fooking sword going around chopping humans and demons alike up. But, its pulled off, because Miura has made it more then just that, and its truely awsome. It's why I consider him one of my Gods, next to a couple of other people. :D

bboyjo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I love the whole series of Berserk, the current arc and the previous arc - they complement each other perfectly and portray the progression of Guts - from finding a purpose in life (Casca and the Hawks), to loosing absolutely everything including his humanity, to regaining his humanity (with the introduction of Puck) and slowly finding purpose other than revenge on Griffith and the Apostles (his new band: Shierke, Isidro, etc and journeying to find the Elf king).  I agree with KaiserRyuujin the story was in need of a turn, If Berserk was simply about some aimless bad-ass mofo who is seeking revenge, it would quickly get stagnant.  Its amazing how the manga-ka has developed both the storylines and the character with the contrasting arcs.  

The mangaka has definitely refined his drawing technique.  His art conveys so much depth.

Amano

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask something (probably) stupid ... is Berserk and Bastard the same manga ? and Bastard just a different translation used in other countries (or some countries)?

EvilSniffles

Reaction score
Country
United States
there are two totally different manga, but both are based on fantasy type themes

KaiserRyuujin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Amano said:
Can I ask something (probably) stupid ... is Berserk and Bastard the same manga ? and Bastard just a different translation used in other countries (or some countries)?
Heh someone beat me to it :p Anyway I have seen people talk about Bastard though as some of their characters resemble Gutts and the Hawks from the old days. Though obviously not intentional but thats just what I have seen discussed been awhile since I have seen the two pictures compared. So I could also be mistaken on that topic.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Never read Bastard, but no it's not the same manga ;)

Also agreed, Gutts has companions but yeah they are far apart from the Band. I am wondering if Rickert himself will ever join with Gutts after some hard thinking of the whole situation. He was emotional at the start there after hearing about the Eclipse, so I am wondering if he will join or just stay with Erica waiting for Gutts to return to touch up his sword. But thats true, he did come out the blue for Isidro. What was kind of fun to see was someone from the past (forget his name) but recognized Gutts as "The Hundred Man Slayer" being part of the Hawks formerly. Kind of a nice touch to have that nostalgic moment.
I loved that moment too :)

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I am not too optimistic about Rickert joining Gutts because Rickert can not hate Griffith...at least is is what Gutts said and Rickert looked shocked because he realised Gutts was right.

Why does every one hate Isidiro? he has a big mouth alright and he gets jelous from Scheirke but he has does care about her and the others. He defended Scheirke in the trolls cave when she was chanting a spell and in the city against pirates, even though she could have taken the pirates in no time, he was worried that if she did then people would know that she uses magic and attack her. plus his character fits his age, a kid would be full of him self after catching a frog imagine when he kills trolls or beats adults.

Dragonzair

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I haven't heard of Bastard before, but I don't think they'd be the same..since the name just doesn't make sense. XD

I agree with you guys about how the artwork has really improved.

From the start, it already had amazing details, although it had the old style of Japanese anime art. But now, I'm loving evreything. REally. Like GK said. The ballroom scene was absolutely breathtaking. I kept staring at the ceiling. If you zoom in, each person in that ceiling is well drawn and detalied.

And so have the characters improved. Gutts is becoming mroe manly. Comparing it with the old first chapter, he looked a lot more 'boyish' there. And that white addition to his hair was quite weird, but I'm gettingused to it. XD Griffith's, in my opinion, looks even more :love :drool XD

All in all, I'm glad I read Berserk. XD Both the now and then of BErserk, had it' ups and downs, which actually adds to the ongoing storyline. ^_^ <333333333 *glomps Berserk*