Language What Languages do you know?

Navid.

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
216
Reaction score
18
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Iran
It's nice to see so many people knowing with such diverse languages...

As for me it's English, Norwegian (Danish, Swedish because of that, some words vary) and Persian (this is not the same as Arabic, many people I know thought so when I first told them), and a fair bit of German (speaking much more than writing).

I sometimes find myself switching small similar words from differnet languages in and out of sentences, or other times I can remember a word in all the languages except the one language I want to use (this all applies much more to speaking rather then writing)... :p :smile-big
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Italian (mother tongue)
English (I read without big problems, not much else)
French (studied for 8 years, not sure to remember anything)
 

rich_schism

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
- i speak tagalog (coz pinoy me)
- fluent in english
- je parle francais. un peu.
- yo hablo espanol. un poquito, estoy tratando de aprender.

;)
 

Kratos

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2006
Messages
642
Reaction score
0
i speak Spanish and English
and i wana learn Japanese so i wont have to wait for the translation of some of the mangas that i like
 

sakura_uchiha

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2006
Messages
249
Reaction score
2
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
Marine Headquarters
1. Cebuano- Native
2. Tagalog/Filipino- Native
3. Spanish- a lil' bit, some filipino words usually originated in spanish
4. English- other official language in the Philippines
5. Japanese- little, only when speaking (learned from anime, and my cousin)
 

bakashijinsan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
1,660
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
very proficient in English and Filipino

can understand a bit of japanese and can read only Hiragana and Katakana. No Kanji except for the numbers.
 

infyquest

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
312
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
India
I am an Indian.
I know English, Hindi and Telugu(R/W), can read French
I am picking japanese words by hearing and looking at youtube subbed animes ;)
 

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
English, German, Hungarian, all fluent in reading writing and conversation.
then I can also pick out a few words in a small number of other languages, depending on how recently I heard it spoken, and how clearly/consistently it is pronounced.
 

DemonDays

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2006
Messages
1,028
Reaction score
40
Gender
Female
Country
England
English thats all.
I did French and German at school so know a very little bit. But not enough to have a conversation.
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
DemonDays said:
English thats all.
I did French and German at school so know a very little bit. But not enough to have a conversation.
Me too. I learn German for two years in the Goethe Institute, but i can hardly make a sentence now.
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
I have been speaking and writing English for the past 14 years.
I have been speaking and writing less and less Greek since I was born.
I studied 4 years of French in H.S. and a month in Nice.
I studied 1 year of Spanish in College and a month in Madrid.
I can read and comprehend common Italian, but I can't speak or write it.
 

ILUVATAR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
532
Reaction score
50
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
refii said:
I have been speaking and writing English for the past 14 years.
I have been speaking and writing less and less Greek since I was born.
I studied 4 years of French in H.S. and a month in Nice.
I studied 1 year of Spanish in College and a month in Madrid.
I can read and comprehend common Italian, but I can't speak or write it.
O.O wow

i speak and write English very well. I have even started to choose english words when i forget the greek ones XD it's easier to me to say the englsih verion of a word i cannot rememeber in greek (mangas and this forum mostly made me like that XD)
i was good at French but i haven't done anything to renew my knowledge of them and so i have forgotten most of it to all >_< (once i was able to sing christmass carols in French, my speciality was the "oh christmass tree" O.o)
 

Lohnt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2006
Messages
885
Reaction score
66
Gender
Hidden
Country
Greece
It's not that uncommon dude, especially if you're living in Europe.. just to work at a bar near the beach in the mediterranean you have to know at least 3 other languages due to the tourism.

I've unfortunately been stuck working at restaurants/bars in NYC, so I've had to know at least Spanish and French due to the tourists, and reading Italian for the menu. It's just one of those things that come with the territory you know? But it also depends on your social situation, I'm not working 2 jobs anymore, so I'm not even using those other languages now.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
refii said:
It's not that uncommon dude, especially if you're living in Europe.. just to work at a bar near the beach in the mediterranean you have to know at least 3 other languages due to the tourism.

I've unfortunately been stuck working at restaurants/bars in NYC, so I've had to know at least Spanish and French due to the tourists, and reading Italian for the menu. It's just one of those things that come with the territory you know? But it also depends on your social situation, I'm not working 2 jobs anymore, so I'm not even using those other languages now.
Why italian for the menu?
 

The Fourth

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
I know
Hungarian (first language :P )
some English and German
 

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Nice!!!
I never thought i would find another person with the same combination of languages.
Let me guess, you are hungarian and still live in hungary, and you learned german in school and picked up english by yourself from somewhere, (probably the internet and other popular media)
 

gian

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2006
Messages
159
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
I know English, Filipino and a bit of Chinese -- so I can understand like 50% of the kanji that appears on mangas.
 

mangadictus

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
3,217
Reaction score
225
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Me? Native Filipino and pretty much Advanced English. Been speaking it since like... 10, I think. If you consider Philippine Languages, there are over 170 languages in the Philippines; almost all of them belong to the Austronesian language family. Ain't that a lot? :D If you're interested to know what those are, check The Philippine Languages from Wikipedia. :)
 

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
so when you say you know filipino are you just refering to one of the indigenous languages in general or is on of the languages spoken on the islands really called filipino?
 

Ayah

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
2,996
Reaction score
9
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
:offtopic

kiddo7 said:
so when you say you know filipino are you just refering to one of the indigenous languages in general or is on of the languages spoken on the islands really called filipino?
Filipino is a combination of a few of those 170 indigenous languages, mostly based on Tagalog. Plus, it also borrows words from foreign languages such as Spanish. Filipino is so deeply rooted to Tagalog compared to the other Philippine languages such that the two are often interchanged. This should be discussed in the Filipino/Tagalog Language thread :sweatdrop
 
Top