Language What Languages do you know?

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
Chances are you hear a lot more Japanese than you hear German. This is an assumption based on the fact that you are a member at a manga site. The more familiar a language sounds to you the easier it should be to learn, and also the more likely you are to enjoy learning it, I think. And German is not a fun language to learn if you do not enjoy it. Just thought i should let you know.
 

Pevee

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
520
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I envy all of you who know so many languages. just so you know.
For me, Thai and English, fluently.
A little Mandarin, learned it in middle school but haven't spoken a word for a couple years.
And a tiny Spanish because I'm taking it right now.

Want-to-learn's : More Mandarin, French, German, and, last but not least, Japanese...
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
I know english, french, creole and a little bit of spanish.
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Pevee said:
Want-to-learn's : More Mandarin, French, German, and, last but not least, Japanese...
I know German, don't want french, don't know what mandarin is, but I certainly would like to learn Japanese xD

kadodo said:
I know english, french, creole and a little bit of spanish.
Don't wanna learn any more?
 

kiddo7

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
931
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Austria
ibra87 said:
I know German, don't want french, don't know what mandarin is, but I certainly would like to learn Japanese xD
Don't wanna learn any more?
Mandarin is a form of chinese.
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
ibra87 said:
Don't wanna learn any more?
I suely want to learn more, my top two choices are japanese and portuguese.
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
kiddo7 said:
Mandarin is a form of chinese.
Oh thanks kiddo :D

kadodo said:
I suely want to learn more, my top two choices are japanese and portuguese.
Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese? (Or are they the same and I am missing something?) And why porto? You going there?
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
Brazilian Portugese. And Yes, I'm thinking of going there someday.
 

Pevee

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
520
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Is there a different between Portugese and Brazilian Portugese? Is the difference kinda like the American English and the British English?
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
I'm notsure but I think the brazilian added their own stuff to the language.
 

weixiaobao

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 4, 2006
Messages
4,323
Reaction score
917
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Pevee said:
Is there a different between Portugese and Brazilian Portugese? Is the difference kinda like the American English and the British English?
yes there is the words fuck, fucker, fucken are used more often in American english (i think)
 

Pevee

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
520
Reaction score
6
Gender
Female
Country
United States
kadodo said:
I'm notsure but I think the brazilian added their own stuff to the language.
So it's basicallly the same difference as the one between American and British? That clears up now.

movingstone said:
yes there is the words fuck, fucker, fucken are used more often in American english (i think)
Are you living in the US? It would be very obvious if you are living here. I agree with that though, people are abusing the word. I guess their minds are simply incapable of thinking of more descriptive and creative words due to their rather limited vocabuary (and partly because of the degenerated culture here).

ps. You caught me by surprise posting them, maybe it's just that I've never use those words before.
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
taken from wikipedia:


Portuguese is a pluricentric language. It has two main groups of dialects, those of Brazil and those of the Old World. For historical reasons, the dialects of Africa and Asia are generally closer to those of Portugal than the Brazilian dialects, although in some aspects of their phonology, especially the pronunciation of unstressed vowels, they resemble Brazilian Portuguese more than European Portuguese. They have not been studied as exhaustively as European and Brazilian Portuguese. In various parts of Africa, Asia, and the Americas, Portuguese creoles are spoken, but they are independent languages which should not be confused with Portuguese itself.

It seems like the same as English. But I wouldn't say like British and American, more like.. American and Scottish (maybe not THAT much) ;).
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
well thank you for the update. Oh, also I would like to learn Italian.
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Why Italian? I think it's difficult and it's talked only in Italy.
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
Luckas said:
Why Italian? I think it's difficult and it's talked only in Italy.
Well, first I do like Italian girls and also Italian is very close to spanish (which I could speak a little bit). So I think it will be kind of easy for me to learn it. :spaz
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
kadodo said:
Well, first I do like Italian girls and also Italian is very close to spanish (which I could speak a little bit). So I think it will be kind of easy for me to learn it. :spaz
Are you french? In this case it's easier, probably you only need application.
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
Well I'm not french but I'm from the carribean (Haiti) but is living in the U.S. right now. But yes, I speak french fluently and I speak spanish a little bit. You think french is closer to Italian than spanish?
 

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
3,227
Reaction score
128
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
kadodo said:
Well I'm not french but I'm from the carribean (Haiti) but is living in the U.S. right now. But yes, I speak french fluently and I speak spanish a little bit. You think french is closer to Italian than spanish?
I'm Italian and, even if I'm not good with languages, I haven't big difficulties studing french in school. The grammar is very similar, and also the "sounds". So I think, knowing french, to learn italian it isn't very difficult, but naturally you need time. Italian, as french, has a complex grammar with many rules and a rich vocubulary. Abou spanish I don't know the language, but people says it's similar to italian.
 

kadodo

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
2,225
Reaction score
40
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Haiti
Thanks for letting me know. I hope you get good in french some time.
 
Top