What more is needed to make into HQ? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

What more is needed to make into HQ?

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Find (or even make) new gray patterns. And then redo all the greys.

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
so... if I redo the grays, it'll be HQ??? blacks are okay? (specifically those damned speed lines)

ddadain

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Nope... they are blurry o_o

You need to rotate the image FIRST AND FOREMOST. Or else, the image gets distorted and blurry. Meaning it's the first thing you do!

Some of the grays there in 227 MUST be redone. You don't need to redo the grays to get HQ. Only if the original grays are bad. Meaning, they are blotched at places. 227 has blotched grays.

Your black contrasts too much with the general lineart. You must remember to SOFTEN the edges or when using Pen Tool/Lasso select a pixel inside the blacks.

NEVER redo action lines except redrawing o_o Never try to alter them. 99.9% of the time, they'll look WORSE.

Although Kylara's Raws are great, it's not a very good RAW to HQ with. Not unless you have a good number of people working on it. But, for a solo project, I'd recommend you get yourself your own TANKOUBON raws.

#F-M only uses tanko raws, btw. Many HQ groups has someone scanning for them HQ raws, which are:

- No white dust streaks.
- Upright. (No rotations needed or rotation angles of ~0.05 needed)
- Grays are uniform.

High resolution doesn't necessarily mean HQ raw.

Vato Loco!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I disagree with ddadain on most of what he said. I believe that in order to be fully HQ you must re-do the grays. Only re-doing some of the grays will create a contrast between the ones that weren't re-done and the ones that were. Plus it's really easy to tell which weren't re-done and which were (it is for me at least). The same goes for the speed lines/action lines. Re-doing them will make them look better, and if you don't completely re-do them you have to at least enhance them, usually they're broken or very close together. Also, you always, ALWAYS, have to remove Japanese writing off of the page and re-draw the image.

However, I do agree that rotating is one of the first things you should do (It's the second thing I do, right after leveling). Also, I do agree that your blacks look weird. More so because the line art around them is a lighter tint, and/or needs to be re-stroked.

As for these pages in particular, the first one needs to be rotated. You need to completely start over on the borders, I recommend Allashandras' borders tutorial. All of your blacks need to be fully blackened (mainly looking at the cracks in the wall). All of the broken lines need to be re-drawn. The speed/action lines need to be re-done. The Writing needs to be removed, the missing part of the art needs to be re-drawn. The speech bubbles need to be re-stroked, or completely re-done. And your whites need to be thoroughly cleaned, no matter how tedious it may seem. I always clean whites zoomed close to the picture.

Page 2:
Again, check your rotation. Your borders are inconsistent with each other and need to be re-done. Your bubbles should either be re-done or re-stroked. Speed lines need to be re-done. Your FX should have a white outline to them. The grays need to be re-done. All of your blacks should be done, including the people on/around the field. You need to re-stroke some of the line art. Again, go through and clean the whites, no matter how long it takes.

Hopefully that will help some.

Also, a great way to improve/ rate your own cleans is to compare it to other groups who do HQ releases. Such as: Maximum 7, Rush (R.I.P.), Null, Phase 3, Hyuu, JapFlap...etc.

Last edited:

abu_89

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
... that's a lot of work... i'm going to need an army for something like that, lol. thanks for the replies.