Discussion What would you change about PoT1

Jyten

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
339
Reaction score
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But Inui has XANATOS GAMBITS. Which worked on their first match, and probably would have in their second, had him not fainted.
Hmm thanks Bowser, I never realized that Renji had his jersey on the whole time. Also, he does have less sweat...but again I can't see Renji not going full power against...

a) his old doubles partner (its just plain disrespectful)
b) being a Rikkaidai Emperor I can't see him going easy ever, especially if it costs him the game.
c) Yuki was still his friend and with his surgery I bet he wanted to win that much more for Yuki.

On the topic that Renji returned everything Inui threw at him and Inui didn't really return anything. I think Renji is just high skill wise. Not in plain physical strength or speed like in a race or lifting weights.

However, it could have been an Inui Gambit like Sherlock said or he simply couldn't return those shots while taking data. Now if he wasn't taking data I can see Inui returning those shots.

Sherlock, agreed not to the extent of Xanatos gambits but its the same idea. Either way, I actually really enjoyed Inui/Renji match and honestly I wouldn't have changed anything about it.
 
Last edited:

Fayte

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
1,815
Reaction score
299
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Inui beating Renji is simple,

Konomi didn't know what he was doing at the time. He didn't see how ridiculous it made Rikkaidai look. Just so Seigaku could win? Realism > Plot hax please. Seigaku should have gotten aced by every match imo.

Bunta/Jackal - Win
Niou/Yagyuu - Win
Renji - Win
Kirihara - Win
Sanada - Win

That would have made this series worth watching, waiting for Seigaku to rematch Rikkaidai.

Though, I bet Konomi is thinking the same thing now in hindsight. But nothing can be done now.
 

javimgol

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
759
Reaction score
83
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Inui beating Renji is simple,

Konomi didn't know what he was doing at the time. He didn't see how ridiculous it made Rikkaidai look. Just so Seigaku could win? Realism > Plot hax please. Seigaku should have gotten aced by every match imo.

Bunta/Jackal - Win
Niou/Yagyuu - Win
Renji - Win
Kirihara - Win
Sanada - Win

That would have made this series worth watching, waiting for Seigaku to rematch Rikkaidai.

Though, I bet Konomi is thinking the same thing now in hindsight. But nothing can be done now.
I've read somewhere that he was also thinking to transfer Fuji to Rikkai in the Nationals, so I think Konomi wasn't very sure about the develop of the manga at that point.

I agree with you (Rikkai victory in Kanto's Finals). But with the exception of Inui's match (in fact, very epic IMAO), the rest of the matches weren't a plot hax. Momo-Kaidoh receive a true 1-6; Golden Pair giving a good battle and showed us more formations, Fuji's blind victory and even Ryoma comeback (only because this is a shonen, but still pretty good) were good matches. In the anime Kanto's Finals are crap,of course. But in manga they are OK.
 

Jyten

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
339
Reaction score
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Inui beating Renji is simple,

Konomi didn't know what he was doing at the time. He didn't see how ridiculous it made Rikkaidai look. Just so Seigaku could win? Realism > Plot hax please. Seigaku should have gotten aced by every match imo.

Bunta/Jackal - Win
Niou/Yagyuu - Win
Renji - Win
Kirihara - Win
Sanada - Win

That would have made this series worth watching, waiting for Seigaku to rematch Rikkaidai.

Though, I bet Konomi is thinking the same thing now in hindsight. But nothing can be done now.
Did Konomi know what he was doing during the Rikkaidai match, maybe? Reasons follow...

Why don't you think anybody could have won against Rikkaidai? Sure they were strong but from what I gathered only the 3 demons were really on "Tezuka" level even though I really doubt Renji could beat Tezuka. None of the others could beat Tezuka. I don't really see why you have so much beef about Rikkaidai losing?

Inui/Renji - Tie break. It was close. They knew each other extremely well.

Fuji/Kirihara - Very close match. I honestly think Fuji was better than Kirihara. I just think Fuji is a complete space cadet. Blind eyes was a silly way to make him focus, but whatever. I think a serious completely focused Fuji would have beaten Kirihara with out blind eyes.

I mean their win record is about the same. Why do you really think Kirihara is that good? To me, he's below the 3 demons and probably around Yagyuu level but right now he might be below Yagyuu and Nioh.

Echizen - Seriously Echizen should have lost but he's the main char...what can you do?

Furthermore, I'm sorry but realism and logic do not apply to 90% of all manga and anime. Its a bit unfair for PoT to be real and follow logic all the time. If you want that go read history. I'd start around the American revolution and go from there or even better some news reports.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Inui beating Renji is simple,

Konomi didn't know what he was doing at the time. He didn't see how ridiculous it made Rikkaidai look. Just so Seigaku could win? Realism > Plot hax please. Seigaku should have gotten aced by every match imo.

Bunta/Jackal - Win
Niou/Yagyuu - Win
Renji - Win
Kirihara - Win
Sanada - Win

That would have made this series worth watching, waiting for Seigaku to rematch Rikkaidai.

Though, I bet Konomi is thinking the same thing now in hindsight. But nothing can be done now.
I agree with Jyten.

Fuji's win was very ok. He was just better than Kirihara in Kanto. (actually I wonder just how strong he really is, seeing everyone speaking about his "unlimited potenital" in every match he plays)

Inui vs Renji is fine as well. They knew each others playstyle and it ended in a tiebreak. I think Inui said something like he had a 50% chance of winning after the match, so maybe with Renji being a bit careless, after Inui "abandoned" his data, the match had a proper result.

The only thing that really annoys me about the finals is that Ryoma won against Sanada, that was ridiculous. He should have lost the match, Seigaku should have lost the finals and they could have won the nationals in the end.

Nevertheless, Ryoma losing to Sanada would have been a much better story imo.

I've read somewhere that he was also thinking to transfer Fuji to Rikkai in the Nationals, so I think Konomi wasn't very sure about the develop of the manga at that point.
He did? Why did he decide against it, the national finals would have been so great like that.
 

-Ken-

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
4,229
Reaction score
641
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
I wish either

1. Rikkai win in the Kantou and Seigaku get them back in the final

or

2. Seigaku win in the Kantou and face another team (the american team) in the final of national.


It would have been a lot more interesting. I'm not sure, but I remember reading in the volume (not sure which one) that Konomi was planning it to be like that at one point, but change his mind because he thought fans would like to see Rikkai fight again (will be great if someone can confirm me). It's not a bad thing, I do want to see Rikkai fight again, but it just seemed not THAT interesting with Seigaku fighting against a team they already won.


Do anyone know if there's a translation to the end of volume 42 'story'? My Japanese friends tell me it's about Ryoma coming back to challenge Tezuka. I really want to read it.
 

Fayte

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2007
Messages
1,815
Reaction score
299
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Did Konomi know what he was doing during the Rikkaidai match, maybe? Reasons follow...

Why don't you think anybody could have won against Rikkaidai? Sure they were strong but from what I gathered only the 3 demons were really on "Tezuka" level even though I really doubt Renji could beat Tezuka. None of the others could beat Tezuka. I don't really see why you have so much beef about Rikkaidai losing?

Inui/Renji - Tie break. It was close. They knew each other extremely well.

Fuji/Kirihara - Very close match. I honestly think Fuji was better than Kirihara. I just think Fuji is a complete space cadet. Blind eyes was a silly way to make him focus, but whatever. I think a serious completely focused Fuji would have beaten Kirihara with out blind eyes.

I mean their win record is about the same. Why do you really think Kirihara is that good? To me, he's below the 3 demons and probably around Yagyuu level but right now he might be below Yagyuu and Nioh.

Echizen - Seriously Echizen should have lost but he's the main char...what can you do?

Furthermore, I'm sorry but realism and logic do not apply to 90% of all manga and anime. Its a bit unfair for PoT to be real and follow logic all the time. If you want that go read history. I'd start around the American revolution and go from there or even better some news reports.
Anybody on Rikkaidai with the exception of Jackal and Bunta could have played and probably won against Tezuka at that time. Renji? better by far. Remember Tezuka only had Tezuka zone and zero shiki drop shot.

Secondly, Fuji was NOT better than Kirihara. He even admits so himself when he said "If I wasn't blind, I would have lost." Kirihara played an amazing game.

Again, as for Inui/Renji, Renji had skill that matched Tezuka at that point in the series. Inui beating him just for the sake of a cheesy plot was really stupid. I would much rather have Inui just lose and by far. That would be a lot more realistic, considering the amount of hype Konomi made for the "Champions" Rikkaidai that were of "Tezuka level."
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He did? Why did he decide against it, the national finals would have been so great like that.
I think he decided against it by that point. IIRC, he mentioned that he had been planning to do it after Fuji and Ryoma played that one time, and that they would play again in an official match. So I think by the time Seigaku and Rikkaidai had actually played, he had already discarded that idea.
 

Jyten

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
339
Reaction score
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anybody on Rikkaidai with the exception of Jackal and Bunta could have played and probably won against Tezuka at that time. Renji? better by far. Remember Tezuka only had Tezuka zone and zero shiki drop shot.

Secondly, Fuji was NOT better than Kirihara. He even admits so himself when he said "If I wasn't blind, I would have lost." Kirihara played an amazing game.

Again, as for Inui/Renji, Renji had skill that matched Tezuka at that point in the series. Inui beating him just for the sake of a cheesy plot was really stupid. I would much rather have Inui just lose and by far. That would be a lot more realistic, considering the amount of hype Konomi made for the "Champions" Rikkaidai that were of "Tezuka level."
Well, TZone and Zero-shiki are nightmares to stop. Remember even Atobe was on his knee's to those two moves and frankly, Atobe would beast everyone in Rikkaidai but Sanada and Yuki.

Why is Fuji worse again? It simply says that Fuji couldn't have won unless he went above his limits by allowing him to heighten his other senses (to me this means focusing your other senses...unless Konomi now decided to break biology...I mean seriously your ears don't suddenly hear more frequencies. You just get better at analyzing the data coming to your brain from your ears. So, focus)?

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/223/05/

During this match didn't Kirihara also go above his limits with SoA?

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/222/02/

So, breakdown...

Pre-Match

Kirihara - 22
Fuji - 22

Kirihara must go red eyes to become stronger than Fuji.

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/216/18/

Even though he still loses the first match...

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/217/18-19/

Either way, I think this win was simply Akaya getting started in Red Eyes mode.

Fuji becomes semi-serious....

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/218/17/

During match

Kirihara Red Eyes - 25
Fuji Semi-Serious - 24

Fuji goes blind to focus more...

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/219/03/

Kirihara loses Red Eyes...starts pushing as hard as he can...with out SoA or red eyes...

Kirihara Completely Serious - 26
Fuji Blind Focused - 31

Kirihara goes SoA to try and become stronger...

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/221/08-09/

Kirihara SoA - 30
Fuji Focused - 31

Fuji still wins in the end...

Post match

Kirihara - 30
Fuji - 31

Fuji wins.

http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/222/16-17/


Onto Inui/Renji match...hype really means nothing, results are what matter...bleach has taught me that QQ. *Holds back every fiber in his being not to rant at bleach*

Also, its quite possible for Inui to also have reached "Tezuka" level by the time he fought Renji. Inui trained freaking hard. Now could he beat TZone...I don't think so...but then again I don't think Renji could have either.
 
Last edited:

Bowser

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
1,127
Reaction score
118
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Pre national-all teams were pretty crusty apart from Rikkai, and makes me wonder how weak middle school tennis was the year before that. Seriously, they were just ordinary tennis players with the exceptions of those we see more of.

Inui was no better than Renji, definately. It was lame to say he had a 50% chance of winning - such a poor excuse. He was mind raped in the nationals finals - Kanto wise, at first in that S3 match, it made me think Renji was a crap player - course, opinions improved throughout and Renji and Inui are my two favourite players now.
 

Naochaaa

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2011
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Peru
(Sorry for my terrible english. I insist on participating in this forum even when I can't write or speak properly in english. But this discussions are interesting)

1.-Definitely, Seigaku should have lost against Rikkaidai in Kantou. Its so boring they always win. Nationals would have been far more interesting if they had to play against the only team that they couldn't defeat.

2.- The final match , Ryoma vs Yukimura... the match should have ended in a tiebreak... 6-4 was too short and I just can't accept Ryoma won 6 games in a row. Yukimura should have shown more passion (like Fuji did against Shiraishi) ... realizing that tennis is about fun (that's so cursi) and the match should have ended dramatically in the tiebreak.

3.- Seigaku should lose at least 1 match... It is sooo predictable they’re gonna win.
 

MochiRoll

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2011
Messages
123
Reaction score
25
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
There is only one thing I would change.

Nationals Finals Singles 1.

Tezuka vs Yukimura
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Im glad it was cleared up that Fuji is better than Kirihara but what about Inui??
Arent Inui and Yanagi equal???

Inui beat Yanagi dammit.
I think they are equal in ability.

For me, I'd change Sengoku losing to Kamio and have it that Kamio was facing Muramochi.(the Yamabuki guy with the shades)
Or at least show Marui and Jackal's Singles abilities.
Since ALL RikkaiDai members are excellent singles players.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Sai and I were bored and went through all the matches again, and we came up with a complete changes list... for those interested:

vs Yamabuki
-show Fuji/Kawamura vs Kita/Nitobe

vs Hyoutei
no changes

vs Midoriyama
-matches a bit closer
-show that normal tennis can still break special techs

Yamabuki vs Fudomine
-Kita/Nitobe win D2
-Kamio beats Muromachi in S2
-Tachibana beats Sengoku in S1

vs Rokkaku
no changes

vs Rikkai
-Sanada beats Echizen 6-4
--Sanada activates Muga at 5-4
--Echizen hits COOL Drive at Sanada's match point
--Sanada finishes the match with Muga -> ZSD

vs Higa
no changes

vs Hyoutei
-Akutagawa replaces Mukahi
-Tezuka wins by showing that Kabaji's copy is inferior
-rain starts after S2 ends

add Yamabuki vs Nagoya
show the foreigners vs Nagoya regulars

vs Shitenhouji
S3 Echizen vs Kintarou 0-0 (draw)
D2 Kikumaru/Kawamura vs Oshitari/Ishida 0-[forfeit]
S2 Fuji vs Shiraishi 6-7
D1 Momoshito/Kaidoh vs Konjiki/Hitouji 5-7
S1 Tezuka vs Chitose 6-1
Reserve Inui vs Zaizen 6-2

Rikkai vs Nagoya
-show Krauser crucifying Kirihara with Hopping Ball
-Sanada does not use Rai

unofficial match replaces memory loss (Echizen still leaves for Kanagawa afterwards)
-Echizen vs Sanada
--chance meeting at public court
--Sanada dominates at the beginning, using Muga
--Echizen makes a comeback and shows he is the best Muga user
--Echizen opens Hyakuren (normal version)
--Sanada gets a flashback to his match vs Tezuka -> build up for the finals ("I refuse to use "that" just yet")

vs Rikkai
-extend D2, so that Inui/Kaidoh start making a comeback, but Inui eventually collapses
-Echizen is still late, but no memory loss, and he enters together with Nanjirou
-Echizen doesn't copy Rai
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Sai and I were bored and went through all the matches again, and we came up with a complete changes list... for those interested:

vs Yamabuki
-show Fuji/Kawamura vs Kita/Nitobe

vs Hyoutei
no changes

vs Midoriyama
-matches a bit closer
-show that normal tennis can still break special techs

Yamabuki vs Fudomine
-Kita/Nitobe win D2
-Kamio beats Muromachi in S2
-Tachibana beats Sengoku in S1

vs Rokkaku
no changes

vs Rikkai
-Sanada beats Echizen 6-4
--Sanada activates Muga at 5-4
--Echizen hits COOL Drive at Sanada's match point
--Sanada finishes the match with Muga -> ZSD

vs Higa
no changes

vs Hyoutei
-Akutagawa replaces Mukahi
-Tezuka wins by showing that Kabaji's copy is inferior
-rain starts after S2 ends

add Yamabuki vs Nagoya
show the foreigners vs Nagoya regulars

vs Shitenhouji
S3 Echizen vs Kintarou 0-0 (draw)
D2 Kikumaru/Kawamura vs Oshitari/Ishida 0-[forfeit]
S2 Fuji vs Shiraishi 6-7
D1 Momoshito/Kaidoh vs Konjiki/Hitouji 5-7
S1 Tezuka vs Chitose 6-1
Reserve Inui vs Zaizen 6-2

Rikkai vs Nagoya
-show Krauser crucifying Kirihara with Hopping Ball
-Sanada does not use Rai

unofficial match replaces memory loss (Echizen still leaves for Kanagawa afterwards)
-Echizen vs Sanada
--chance meeting at public court
--Sanada dominates at the beginning, using Muga
--Echizen makes a comeback and shows he is the best Muga user
--Echizen opens Hyakuren (normal version)
--Sanada gets a flashback to his match vs Tezuka -> build up for the finals ("I refuse to use "that" just yet")

vs Rikkai
-extend D2, so that Inui/Kaidoh start making a comeback, but Inui eventually collapses
-Echizen is still late, but no memory loss, and he enters together with Nanjirou
-Echizen doesn't copy Rai
All good changes. Except Echizen losing to Sanada :/
Echizen losing to him then beating Yukimura just wouldnt feel right.

The Seigaku VS SHitenhoji match looks interesting except Momo/Kaido losing.
I'd rather they won and Ishida/Kenya beat Kawamura/Oishi pair.

Then an Inui VS Zaizen 6-3 or 6-4 would seem more adequate.
I doubt Konomi is gonna make Zaizen particularly weak if its going to be in the reserve slot.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
All good changes. Except Echizen losing to Sanada :/
Echizen losing to him then beating Yukimura just wouldnt feel right.
He'd get the rematch before playing Yukimura, so I don't think there are any issues here?

The Seigaku VS SHitenhoji match looks interesting except Momo/Kaido losing.
I'd rather they won and Ishida/Kenya beat Kawamura/Oishi pair.
Well, GP didn't play that match in the first place, probably because of Oishi's wrist injury. Furthermore, that match was supposed to make Kawamura the strongest power player, so it's hard to make him lose here.

Then an Inui VS Zaizen 6-3 or 6-4 would seem more adequate.
I doubt Konomi is gonna make Zaizen particularly weak if its going to be in the reserve slot.
Yeah idk, 6-2 was just a random result.
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
He'd get the rematch before playing Yukimura, so I don't think there are any issues here?

Well, GP didn't play that match in the first place, probably because of Oishi's wrist injury. Furthermore, that match was supposed to make Kawamura the strongest power player, so it's hard to make him lose here.
I didnt notice the Sanada rematch.

and yeah Kikumaru/Kawamura winning would be good.
But I was wondering, who is stronger in Singles?

Is Kikumaru better than Oshitari Kenya?
Nevermind the Kawamura VS Ishida. G battle.
 

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 31, 2009
Messages
9,443
Reaction score
4,769
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Is Kikumaru better than Oshitari Kenya?
Nevermind the Kawamura VS Ishida. G battle.
According to Vol 40.5, Kamio is the fastest player in Kanto, in other words, faster than Kikumaru. As we know, Kenya is even faster than Kamio.
I'd say overall Kenya's stats are just a bit better than Kikumaru's, so I think he would win if they played. It'd probably be close though.
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
According to Vol 40.5, Kamio is the fastest player in Kanto, in other words, faster than Kikumaru. As we know, Kenya is even faster than Kamio.
I'd say overall Kenya's stats are just a bit better than Kikumaru's, so I think he would win if they played. It'd probably be close though.
Coz Im still unsure where Kikumaru goes in the ranking tier.
In the Anime Kikumaru is on par with Inui.

And I got the feeling that Kikumaru was faster than Kamio. Considering Kikumaru and Kenya both create copies of themselves coz theyre moving so fast.
Whereas Kamio didnt show that ability.

Coz I watched the anime, I believed they were equal or Kikumaru was stronger.
 

LetalHawk

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
2,681
Reaction score
600
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I think now Kenya is stronger than Kikumaru, like Inui.
 
Top