Discussion - What's inside the basement? What's the true target of RBA and Titans? Come inside! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What's inside the basement? What's the true target of RBA and Titans? Come inside!

ForMotherRussia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
just gonna post my take on the current SnK history with a couple of speculations of my own. If somebody is gonna read it and finds a flaw, please post and let me know, for i think that i have uncovered the plot of SnK!:derp

Whether it always was like this, whether it wasn't, nobody can tell.
The known human history shows, that 107 years ago, humanity was almost eradicated by titans, but somehow, managed to survive behind three walls, which showed out of nowhere and which no titan could breach.
People inside the walls were pretty much happy and careless, knowing that nothing really bad can happen, if you don't go over the fence. From what most people would remember, there was always somebody of a royal bloodline, ruling over the people.

Now, little did they know, that the king himself was the reason they were stuck behind the walls, forced to live in a closed space like cattle.
It turns out, that over 107 years ago a powerful titan has assumed a human form (or maybe a human has assumed a powerful titan form), and saw a vision of Titans ruling over human. Then, out of nowhere, Titans showed up and began eating people.
After the initial massacre, The King has summoned the collosal titans to gather human and trapped the last remaining people inside a circle of collosal titans, who became the walls and the watchers over the mankind.
Wiping the memories of people, the King Titan became the king in the city behind three walls, and those few and rare human, who were resistant to brainwash, were offered to become the Nobility of the city. Pretty much, they were offered a choice of living as nobles in the newborn world and not have a single worry, if they can keep their mouth shut.

Mankind has formed a military inside the walled city (or was it the King, who did it?) to protect the order, the nobles and the king. But some of the humans, with especially strong longing for freedom and curiosity just couldn't stay put inside the walls. Some created the blasphemous hot-air baloons, attempting to take flight, some tried to create weapons, some simply couldn't sit inside the walls, and thus the first scouting legions were formed.
The king ordered to destroy anyone, who would be able to observe the world out of titan's reach, destroying the inventors and their inventions. The king couldn't care less about the scouting legion, the bastards would find their deaths in the hands of a titan,
Some people just couldn't handle the helplessness of human fighting against titans, and about 30 years after the incident, yet unknown, but the one that summoned hordes of titans and locked the human in the corner, have created the 3dmg.

The king still couldn't give a shit, even if human were agile, in the end, it would still be a titan against human. However, over the last few years, he became alarmed, how good the scouting legion could become, and used every single chance to disband the scouting legion, trying not to cause any suspicion.

Then, for a reason yet unknown, a different factor came into play. The colossal and the armored titans have showed up out of nowhere and destroyed the outer wall, letting the titans, lurking outside the walls, into the paradise. It turns out, the king still didn't give a shit about people, seeing it as an interesting turn of events, rather than some kind of catastrophy, that has to be mended.

And this is where Grisha Jaeger comes into play. Since he was a doctor, he would heal noble and commonfolks alike. And while being around the Noble, he had gathered rumours, stories and evidence of a powerful ruler, who wasn't actually human. Noble remembered their history and lineage, they had kept books that nobody else was allowed to keep. And he came to a shocking revelation, what really is thier king, and learned of his story and the ritual of passing the king's will.
With a help of few scouting legion soldiers, he was able to amass the spinal fluid, enough to turn two people into titans.
And the trigger to his actions was the king's idleness. He saw that even though the king had the power to save grisha's wife and lots of other people when the city was under attack, the King didn't give two shits about the people, as it was absolutely fitting his ideology of titans reigning over humanity.
And on the night, when the ceremony was about to take place, he has stolen the power, and passed it over to his son. He knew, that those, who held the power of the God-titan, even pure-hearted and willing to help people, were stopped in their tracks when it came to changinig the whole Titan-ruling-over-humans concept, as it would go against the will of the King.

So, learning that an outsider, somebody who wasn't of a royal blood, even with a stolen power, wouldn't inherit the knowledge of this world, the memories of the first king, and thus wouldn't be able to utilize the power of the God-titan to its full potential, has devised another plan. Power can be stolen, and knowledge can be gained. So, when Grisha was injecting Eren with the syringe, telling him to search for the basement, he wanted eren to find the knowledge of this world, something that Grisha was able to gather during his life, while listening to Nobles gossips, reading their books etc, listening to dying people, who shared their dying stories with a doctor.
Yes, i think that the answer for the "what's in the basement" is knowledge.

Now, for the fun part:

With the way that humans are, i highly doubt that all that could survive the Titan massacre was the bunch of people that was left inside 3 walls.
Humans are known for their ability to adapt anywhere, to spread and reproduce. Therefore, it is simply logical to assume, that there are others.
There must be other human cities, that were created by the titans. People inside would have different cultures, different languages, they would be different from the 3-walled city people we know.

And that's where Annie, Berth and Reiner come from.
When you think about how Annie's past was introduced into this story, it makes sense. Who would turn his child into a titan-shifter and send out of their hometown in such a young age, unless it was less dangeorus, than staying inside?
My take on it is that Annie, Berth and Reiner came from a city with a little bit different ruling, than the city that Eren was born in.
This is purely a speculation, but in that city, something terrible is happening, and it is ruled by the Monkey Trouble. People are forced to turn into mindless titans, they are brainwashed and mindcontrolled, and the kids and older people know exactly where the titans come from - from humans.
So human rebels there have developed a serum from the titan's spinal fluid, modified it somehow, and gave it to their kids.
It did give them awesome powers of crystal/armored/colossal titans, but that's not everything. One of the side-effects is resistance to memory-wipe and mind control of the Titan, that is in RBA's town known as God.
RBA's parents have learned of another town, where Eren was born, and of a different ruling there. They saw an opportunity, the Coordinate of Eren's God-titan could be the salvation for their hometown, and sent out their kids on a perilous mission to get the Coordinate from 3-walled city, no mater what was the cost.

When RBA saw Eren transformed, they didn't know if he had the coordinate or not. What they saw in him was an Ally, somebody who would be resistant to their god-titan's mindcontrol and memory wipe. And that's why they tried to kidnap him. While trying to do that, they have encountered Ymir, a shifter by chance, who was walking the earth as a mindless titan for 50 years, and Christa, who was told to be of a royal bloodline, all of them most likely resistant to the mind-bending effect of the Coordinate. And when they saw the Monkey Trouble, walking inside the wall Rose territory, they were not amazed. They were not gawking. They were fucking terrified. And at that moment, Reiner and Berth confessed to Eren, and tried to kidnap him for the last time, hoping to bring another ally to their hometown to fight their God-titan.

Why did they say that 3-walled city didn't have a future? And why did Ymir say, after seeing that Eren had the coordinate afterall, that even That world has a future?
Because unless the Coordinate was stolen from the Reiss family, it would all be the same. No matter what the uprising or revolution would be, in the end, people would get their memories wiped, their asses kicked, and everything would stay the same as it has been.

Why did Reiner cry that Eren should be the last person to have the Coordinate? Because Reiner knew the horrible truth, that the people are forced to turn into the mindless titans, and Eren's dream was to kill every single last one of them.
Also, i beleive, that Mikasa will play a huge role in the story. Not because she's a great fighter. Not because she's in love with the main character. But because she's a hybrid between Ackerman and Asian, two clans that were known for their resistance to mind-wiping, and she will help Eren and RBA to liberate people in their hometown, once the 3-walled city is free.

By the way, somebody might ask, "Why in the world would the titans want to rule over people, instead of eating them once and for all? Why would they go to such extremes as to build three-walled cities with Titans inside the walls, protecting the humans and letting them live more-or-less peacefully for a hundred years?"
And the answer is REPRODUCTION.

The titans have no reproductive organs. The only way to make a titan is to turn human into one. So these cities are mostly nothing but a large breeding centres. People are not cattle for the titans to eat. They are embrios for the titans to inseminate, giving birth to more titans. And in case they go out of control - STOMP, go the colossals out of the walls.

Huesoman

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Peru
By the way, somebody might ask, "Why in the world would the titans want to rule over people, instead of eating them once and for all? Why would they go to such extremes as to build three-walled cities with Titans inside the walls, protecting the humans and letting them live more-or-less peacefully for a hundred years?"
And the answer is REPRODUCTION.

The titans have no reproductive organs. The only way to make a titan is to turn human into one. So these cities are mostly nothing but a large breeding centres. People are not cattle for the titans to eat. They are embrios for the titans to inseminate, giving birth to more titans. And in case they go out of control - STOMP, go the colossals out of the walls.
That's a good hypothesis, maybe the war between humans is still going on and the humans inside the walls are the "reserves" in their army; maybe that's why Reiner & co (the warriors) try to eliminate the humans inside the walls, to deplete the enemy forces.

Armin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think that the titans really age at all (see Ymir). They seem to be essentially immortal which may have to do with why they were created in the first place - some kind of quest for immortality. I too have considered the reproduction idea and it doesn't seem ridiculous. Even if titans don't really die on their own, it'd still be nice to have he means to create more, and the nobility needs somewhere to live. I think the nobility are the Reisses and all the families of the shifters, and there may be still more that we don't know about. Mainly where Yeager, Ackerman and Arlert fit into the scheme. And is Beast Titan at the very top, above Reisses?

ForMotherRussia

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
I don't think that the titans really age at all (see Ymir). They seem to be essentially immortal which may have to do with why they were created in the first place - some kind of quest for immortality. I too have considered the reproduction idea and it doesn't seem ridiculous. Even if titans don't really die on their own, it'd still be nice to have he means to create more, and the nobility needs somewhere to live. I think the nobility are the Reisses and all the families of the shifters, and there may be still more that we don't know about. Mainly where Yeager, Ackerman and Arlert fit into the scheme. And is Beast Titan at the very top, above Reisses?
It is true that the Titans do not age, but i assume here that humanity in terms of SnK world (and i mean world, not the territory behind wall maria) is in state of war with the titans and whoever is in control of them.
And for the titans to keep their dominance over the humans, who in just 30 years after the titans showed up invented something as 3-dimensional gear ( in a closed environment with no outside contacts, and technology level of rifles and hot-air baloons), Titans need to keep their dominance on all aspects, not only overpowering the humanity with fighting potential difference between a human and a titan, but also trying to constantly increase their numbers.

Super Angillis

Reviewer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty good theories, though I don't agree with everything. I don't think Monkey Trouble rules where RBA are from. He said he hadn't seen a human for 70 years right? Also they react in a way to his showing up that doesn't make me think he has any authority over them, nor that they need to overthrow him. I think Monkey Trouble is separate from RBA's homeland. I think RBA's homeland was founded by those that got left behind or exiled outside the walls when the First King made them. They've had a much harder time fighting the titans, and hate the people in the walls for what they see as a betrayal.

I think Monky Trouble worked with the first king. The first king got to keep people in the walls, as long as they stayed there and didn't advance, Monkey Trouble wouldn't fully wipe them out with the Titans.

ForMotherRussia

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
He said he hadn't seen a human for 70 years right?
I'm not really sure when did he say this, i might have missed it though. got chapter/page number?

Armin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why would Monkey Trouble attack RB if he were on their team?

ForMotherRussia

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Why would Monkey Trouble attack RB if he were on their team?
i doubt he ever attacked specifically Reiner or Bert He threw rocks at the scouting legion while standing quite far away on the wall.

Also, i'm not sure if he even knows their identities - when they came to Eren's town - they were kids, and changed quite a lot since then.

Armin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah but you would think someone who is supposedly so intelligent would have better things to do than try to kill a bunch of scouts indiscriminately. And he should know of their mission if he were really boss. I'm getting the idea that MT is really not as powerful as people make him out to be.